Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MeatwadIsGod posted:

To be fair, Shelly Duvall was basically brutalized on-set to get her to that level of shambles.

Also Modine looks like he lost weight since Dark Knight Rises

wow i had never heard aboutthat before

the wiki article
In order to give The Shining the psychological horror it needed, director Stanley Kubrick antagonized his actors. The film’s script was changed so often that Nicholson stopped reading each draft. Kubrick intentionally isolated Duvall and argued with her often. Duvall was forced to perform the iconic and exhausting baseball bat scene 127 times. Afterwards, Duvall presented Kubrick with clumps of hair that had fallen out due to the extreme stress of filming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
and Kubrick just looked at her like

we all suffer for our craft

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
whoa, maybe strange things and shining were different stories with different motivations for superficially similar characters???

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

and Kubrick just looked at her like

we all suffer for our craft

Wow he must have been suffering every time he looked in the mirror JfC.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

steinrokkan posted:

whoa, maybe strange things and shining were different stories with different motivations for superficially similar characters???

Yes, this is the relevant thing to take away from those posts.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
How long do we have to wait for the next one ? All those kids will grow up fast in the meantime.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Decebal posted:

How long do we have to wait for the next one ? All those kids will grow up fast in the meantime.

12 years

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Noooo!!! Those Dukie Brothers should be sequestered in some sort of camp until they create more entertainment ! It should be a crime to end something on a cliffhanger.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Decebal posted:

In season 2 Eleven will have long luscious locks and Steve Harrington will be bald

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Decebal posted:

Noooo!!! Those Dukie Brothers should be sequestered in some sort of camp until they create more entertainment ! It should be a crime to end something on a cliffhanger.

the second season will be good because it will have taken 12 years to make

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

wow kubrick was a dick who knew?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

if you trawl tumblr or deviantart or whatever, 99.9% of the fanart for this show is just pissbaby garbage but some of its good

*edit* You could fill a whole thread with just the awful drawings of Eleven this just being one random example.

Basticle fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 16, 2016

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Basticle posted:

*edit* You could fill a whole thread with just the awful drawings of Eleven this just being one random example.

:stonk:

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Basticle posted:

well I mean yes it's not good but esp wrt deviantart it could be worse

a lot worse

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Basticle posted:

Stephen Dillane???

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
LE :pwn:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

steinrokkan posted:

the second season will be good because it will have taken 12 years to make

directed by Richard Linklater no doubt

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm Mike D and I get nosebleeds.
Your cash and your eggos is what I expect.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

I'm Mike D and I get nosebleeds.
Your cash and your eggos is what I expect.

Bahahahhahahaha

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have opinions about this now that it's finished.

I liked it quite a bit. I felt like it managed to feel like it was set in the eighties but didn't feel indulgent about it for the most part.

I mean I guess some parts were. There was no reason for Nancy's love triangle with two horrible possible boyfriends beyond playing to eighties plot conventions. A few other parts like that, but it mostly felt like a modern story with some eighties conventions.
(I don't know why you'd complain about the references to LOTR and DnD and all that when they're all made by small children. Well, and Mr. Clarke but come on now, he's a few brief fun scenes. Look, I was a small child back then but I can remember that if you were a nerd that was what you were into, so it felt fine to me.)

I do have some problems and questions though.
Like "Hawkins Electric" behaves kind of inconsistently, and the central paranormal mystery has some inconsistencies between how it's presented early on and how its rules are established once we know what it is.
Usually that would be the kind of thing I'd go "don't think too hard about it" but the these things are central mysteries that you feel like you're supposed to think about and try to figure out the rules before they're established. Feels a little misleading or something.

I also kind of want to know if anyone else thought the villains would not be human. There even seems to be a hint about this in the first episode when "papa" walks by the radio and interferes with the signal... many urban legends about Men In Black say they are not human. But in the end they're people, just very unemotional ones. I kind of wanted to know more about them, as the main villain seemed like a pretty odd person and I want to know what he really wanted out of this operation. I feel like the treatment of these villains is a huge problem.

I guess I'm mostly somewhat disappointed by the ending (HUGE SPOILERS FOR LAST EPISODE) killing El off with the monster felt cheap. Yes it will probably be undone in season 2. That makes it kind of worse. I don't really see why the monster had to be more powerful than an entire army either, other than "we wrote ourselves into a corner and don't know how to get rid of the villains... guess, we can just have the end of Nancy's arc be a pointless effort". And killing the villains off so that we won't be able to learn what the hell their deal was in season 2 annoys me as well.

I'm guess I'm a little confused about why Hopper gets in the car in the end. What was that? One month later things are just back to normal for him. What was the purpose of that scene?

Anyway, I think I would've preferred a shorter, cleaner story but it's a fun time for the most part.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 16, 2016

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Acne Rain posted:

I have opinions about this now that it's finished.

I liked it quite a bit. I felt like it managed to feel like it was set in the eighties but didn't feel indulgent about it for the most part.

I mean I guess some parts were. There was no reason for Nancy's love triangle with two horrible possible boyfriends beyond playing to eighties plot conventions. A few other parts like that, but it mostly felt like a modern story with some eighties conventions.
(I don't know why you'd complain about the references to LOTR and DnD and all that when they're all made by small children. Well, and Mr. Clarke but come on now, he's a few brief fun scenes. Look, I was a small child back then but I can remember that if you were a nerd that was what you were into, so it felt fine to me.)

I do have some problems and questions though.
Like "Hawkins Electric" behaves kind of inconsistently, and the central paranormal mystery has some inconsistencies between how it's presented early on and how its rules are established once we know what it is.
Usually that would be the kind of thing I'd go "don't think too hard about it" but the these things are central mysteries that you feel like you're supposed to think about and try to figure out the rules before they're established. Feels a little misleading or something.

I also kind of want to know if anyone else thought the villains would not be human. There even seems to be a hint about this in the first episode when "papa" walks by the radio and interferes with the signal... many urban legends about Men In Black say they are not human. But in the end they're people, just very unemotional ones. I kind of wanted to know more about them, as the main villain seemed like a pretty odd person and I want to know what he really wanted out of this operation. I feel like the treatment of these villains is a huge problem.

I guess I'm mostly somewhat disappointed by the ending (HUGE SPOILERS FOR LAST EPISODE) killing El off with the monster felt cheap. Yes it will probably be undone in season 2. That makes it kind of worse. I don't really see why the monster had to be more powerful than an entire army either, other than "we wrote ourselves into a corner and don't know how to get rid of the villains... guess, we can just have the end of Nancy's arc be a pointless effort". And killing the villains off so that we won't be able to learn what the hell their deal was in season 2 annoys me as well.

I'm guess I'm a little confused about why Hopper gets in the car in the end. What was that? One month later things are just back to normal for him. What was the purpose of that scene?

Anyway, I think I would've preferred a shorter, cleaner story but it's a fun time for the most part.

I feel like you weren't paying much attention...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BLARGHLE posted:

I feel like you weren't paying much attention...

with a wall of text like that, its always the case

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

I have bad opinions

Edited for brevity.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's weird that the monster is just impervious to bullets for plot reasons. Doesn't make much sense consider it's basically just a big predator but whatever it works. The nature of the monster and the underside is unclear, I like to think that Eleven accidentally created all of it out of terror and hopelessness.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Someone do a recut where all the music and sound effects are replace with ones from scooby-doo

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
All right, I've watched a few episodes of this with my downstairs neighbor and I guess I wanna say
Winona Forever

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Acne Rain posted:

He didn't eat Christmas dinner because he's an inhuman government plant and he's actually full of plushy stuffing.

The real Hopper was disposed of.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
I think this might be better than even The Sopranos. so far

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

notZaar posted:

It's weird that the monster is just impervious to bullets for plot reasons. Doesn't make much sense consider it's basically just a big predator but whatever it works. The nature of the monster and the underside is unclear, I like to think that Eleven accidentally created all of it out of terror and hopelessness.

Somebody theorized that it may be more of a plant-based creature, not an animal per se. It may not actually have any internal organs or anything like that--the concept art makes it seem quite fungal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Other people theorized that it may be based on anime.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Other people theorized that it may be based on anime.

Impossible it never once molested a child

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Quote-Unquote posted:

Impossible it never once molested a child

tell that to Will

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Somebody theorized that it may be more of a plant-based creature, not an animal per se. It may not actually have any internal organs or anything like that--the concept art makes it seem quite fungal.

it's made of freaking shadows jfc why would bullets hurt shadows???

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
They should have called the "other" world the anti-matter world. That's the opposite of us, right ? Or are they going with the infinite parallel dimensions ?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Decebal posted:

They should have called the "other" world the anti-matter world. That's the opposite of us, right ? Or are they going with the infinite parallel dimensions ?

:ughh:

do you even star trek

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
kaboom

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Did WIll drink his own pee and eat left over Barbara for a week to survive in the harsh shadow wilderness?

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 16, 2016

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Yeah they annihilate each other. Just like the denizens of both worlds are doing on the show

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Toadsniff posted:

Did WIll drink his own pee and eat left over Barbara for a week to survive in the harsh shadow wilderness?

i dont think you can eat in the upsidedown i think it's like suspended animation there's no growth or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

psychokitty posted:

it's made of freaking shadows jfc why would bullets hurt shadows???

A shadow isn't a physical thing you dumb broad.

• Locked thread