Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

im gaye posted:

I like those things too. :yeah:

Have you dabbled in the Amicus anthologies? They're pretty fun.

Man I recently watched Asylum and thought it was just great. i liked the whole thing but especially the first and last stories. Of course I love Tales From the Crypt and Torture Garden.

Do you like Let Sleeping Corpses Lie or Let's Scare Jessica to Death? They're also favourites of mine.

I'm a big time fan of the older Corman pictures, too. I like A Bucket of Blood. I especially love the Poe flicks, like Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher and Tomb of Ligeia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

PinkoBastard posted:

I like the old Italian giallo and lots of 60s -80s stuff, too. I like the hammer movies, the universal monster stuff and lots of old b movies. Recently I re-watched Tombs of the Blind Dead and Blood and Black Lace.
Edit: on-topic, the AU movies are fine but not really my thing. I don't find them offensive but the lack of narrative just doesn't work for me.

If you liked Tombs, I suggest looking for the other Blind Dead stuff. The second one is delirious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

PinkoBastard posted:

Man I recently watched Asylum and thought it was just great. i liked the whole thing but especially the first and last stories. Of course I love Tales From the Crypt and Torture Garden.

Do you like Let Sleeping Corpses Lie or Let's Scare Jessica to Death? They're also favourites of mine.

I'm a big time fan of the older Corman pictures, too. I like A Bucket of Blood. I especially love the Poe flicks, like Masque of the Red Death, House of Usher and Tomb of Ligeia.

Giallo is my favorite genre as well and so are the Hammer Horror films. If you like B Movies and Hammer films you should look into Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula both are with Udo Kier and are fabulous. They're more mature than some of the Hammer films, but they're just a ton of fun. I'd also look into probably The Abominable Doctor Phibes and Theatre of BLood with Vincent Price.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Let's Scare Jessica are both excellent films.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Have some deleted scene stills from Event Horizon:
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/47106/take-a-look-at-the-event-horizon-you-didn-t-see/

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I watched Masque of Red Death last night and what a fantastic film! I loved the use of color, it managed to be wonderfully colorful yet still be a horror movie. The sets were gorgeous too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I loved the colored candlesticks in Masque of the Red Death. I was fixated on that little detail for some reason.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PinkoBastard posted:

I like the old Italian giallo and lots of 60s -80s stuff, too. I like the hammer movies, the universal monster stuff and lots of old b movies. Recently I re-watched Tombs of the Blind Dead and Blood and Black Lace.
Edit: on-topic, the AU movies are fine but not really my thing. I don't find them offensive but the lack of narrative just doesn't work for me.

It's all on topic, baby.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

PinkoBastard posted:

Let's Scare Jessica To Death deserves more attention than it gets. It's creepy vibe was entirely copped years later by J-Horror.

For an early 70s hippy horror double feature, you couldn't do better than Let's Scare Jessica to Death and Messiah of Evil.

Hollismason posted:

If you like B Movies and Hammer films you should look into Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula both are with Udo Kier and are fabulous.

THE BLOOD OF THESE WHORES IS KILLING ME!

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 16, 2016

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I've actually never seen Jessica or Sleeping Corpses so I will have to remedy that. But I did watch a weird 70s Jack Palance movie called Craze last night.

Stuff like Without Warning, Ghoulies 3, and The Manipulator, where pretty talented aging actors just go absolutely nutballs in front of the camera, are kind of a guilty pleasure. And this includes basically anything with David Gale.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 16, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

im gaye posted:

Stuff like Without Warning, Ghoulies 3, and The Manipulator, where pretty talented aging actors just go absolutely nutballs in front of the camera, are kind of a guilty pleasure. And this includes basically anything with David Gale.

I love how in Without Warning you have Palance and Landau front and centre and then out of loving nowhere Ralph Meeker is just a guy at the bar. Also if you check out the graffiti in the shed (the one that David Caruso ends up hung up in), it references an abiding fandom of Harry Dean Stanton ("HDS FOREVER!").

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Scanners is actually real fuckin' bad, and I will fight you if you have anything good to say about it. A movie that is reducible to a single gif, and that scene happens like 10 minutes in.

It's a laborious slog through sub-Dan-Brown level technothriller bullshit.

I'm not going to say Scanners is great, but it's better than you're giving it credit for. Like Hat Thoughts said, it's a fever dream with some real whacked-out poo poo, and the deliberate enigma of what exactly Scanners can do is very interesting. Also, the reveal that Daryl Revok (god Cronenberg was the best at names) and the hero are clone brothers from a top-secret government super-soldier program is legitimately great, and so many people have ripped it off, most prominently Hideo Kojima.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Took me a long time to get on board with it but Scanners owns.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kvlt! posted:

I watched Masque of Red Death last night and what a fantastic film! I loved the use of color, it managed to be wonderfully colorful yet still be a horror movie. The sets were gorgeous too.

Just watched this for the first time as well. The "exotic"/racist dream sequence was unfortunate, but along with some of the other elements it gives it a kind of Shakespearean flavor you don't see that often in horror.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Evil Bong movies are, uh, bizarre.

Someone left a DVD of Evil Bong 2 in my dash and six years later, none of my friends will admit to having been the one who did it. I like to think it's out of shame.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Took me a long time to get on board with it but Scanners owns.

Yeah when I watched it as a kid I didn't really care for it but I saw it at midnight on a best up film print a few years back and man it rules. The restoration for the blu ray is impeccable, too.

My least favorite Cronenberg is probably A Dangerous Method, but even that movie's pretty drat good. I should rewatch it actually.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for horror-centric podcasts? I'm looking for something that's smart about the genre but not self-serious. Searching through iTunes turns up a lot of "bad movie" shows that seem pretty insufferable.

I took the plunge on a Full Moon subscription based on you guys talking about it. I never got into Full Moon stuff because I used to be wary of DTV, but I want to give it a shot now.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I've had the same trouble finding decent podcasts but it's also me trying to weed through "JASON RULEZ screw the jocks!!!" stuff that'll make your eyes roll out of your head.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Liberal Idiot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for horror-centric podcasts?

The Projection Booth

http://projection-booth.blogspot.ca/

It's not strictly horror, but it's always interesting and there are plenty of horror episodes.

Try their episode on Hausu and go from there:
http://projection-booth.blogspot.ca/2016/07/episode-279-house.html

One of my favourites of theirs was actually not horror but the episode on Two Lane Blacktop. I've never heard one I didn't like actually.

Also check out the recent Marc Maron WTF episode with John Carpenter and Joe Dante:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-720-joe-dante-john-carpenter

Maron's interview with Billy Friedkin is also an essential horror (and otherwise) podcast episode:

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_684_-_william_friedkin

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 16, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Liberal Idiot posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for horror-centric podcasts? I'm looking for something that's smart about the genre but not self-serious. Searching through iTunes turns up a lot of "bad movie" shows that seem pretty insufferable.

Streampunk is run by the guys who used to do Mondo Movie, and it's all about finding the lesser-known weird/genre films on different streaming services. It's not horror-centric; for example they've covered modern warfare movies, Italian gangster movies, science-fiction, but they do cover a fair amount and know their poo poo about old horror movies.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

This is great, they just did an episode on The Hidden! Thanks a lot.

I've also been enjoying Streampunk lately, but they're limited by what's on the major streaming services and don't always stick to horror.

EDIT: ^^^ Ha, as I was typing. Their recent rerun about movie books they love got me to spend a lot of money.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I'm not going to say Scanners is great, but it's better than you're giving it credit for. Like Hat Thoughts said, it's a fever dream with some real whacked-out poo poo, and the deliberate enigma of what exactly Scanners can do is very interesting. Also, the reveal that Daryl Revok (god Cronenberg was the best at names) and the hero are clone brothers from a top-secret government super-soldier program is legitimately great, and so many people have ripped it off, most prominently Hideo Kojima.

My specific problems with Scanners, vaguely in order of how much they irritated me:
  • Lead actor is unbelievably bad and wooden. Even if it was on purpose, it doesn't work.
  • No idea how they took a random bum and turned him into a super-spy in a few days. I guess the reveal explains some of it, but not really.
  • Things just happen, because they have to to move the plot along. 2 people have to be helicoptered in to a super-secret facility with twenty-foot barbed-wire walls, but then just drive out in a cop car
  • The reveal, I guess it's shocking? It felt really tacky, and it's why I'm probably going to hate EpVIII of Star Wars. Can't we just not have everyone's secretly related! for once?
  • Characters are introduced, scenes and and groups are displayed, then immediately discarded (usually by shotgun) and never brought up again. Oh hello Scanner nice-people underground! Welp, now you're all dead, a thing that Revok could have done at seemingly any time.
It's a mess, and as I understand it, it's because they went to the set with a script that wasn't done, with Cronenberg writing furiously for hours before each day, and producers literally driving around looking for places to shoot at.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

We should just make a podcast and call it Gimme Blood. I'd be down for that.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Hollismason posted:

We should just make a podcast and call it Gimme Blood. I'd be down for that.

Call it "Our Favorite Castration Scenes" for maximum SEO.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The problem with a podcast is we can't talk about giallo every two weeks or do multiple episodes on Lake Mungo. Gotta consistently have new content.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
I was just browsing Shudder to see if it was worth it and saw they have S&Man streaming. I'm signing up right now.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I think it'd be funny to do a podcast with as many people as possible, just a complete mess of 24 people talking over each other & awkward time gapped waits on laptop mics.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I was just browsing Shudder to see if it was worth it and saw they have S&Man streaming. I'm signing up right now.

Shudder is 100% worth it as a limited time subscription. Unless you're really a hardcore horror aficionado you're going to find at least 3-5 movies to watch(probably more like 10). They'll probably be movies you've heard about but never had the chance to see, which is always great. Just subscribe for 1-2 months, there's really no downside.

I watched Lair of the White Worm on Shudder last night and it was awesome. I've never seen anything quite like it, its a must watch imo. It's like Dagon, but with a bigger budget and more unique visual style.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just watched Lair of the White Worm on Shudder as well it's so loving bonkers at times but just really great.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I love all the weird sexual tension in that movie, and more films need to work the wyrm/wyvern angle when it comes to vampires/dragons.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Please help me, thread.

So I'm looking for a blu ray of Suspiria with English subtitles that I can play on a Region 1 (US) player. The only one I could find on Amazon looks like it won't play on US players and also I don't think has English subs.

Failing this, I would love any direction to a great DVD cut of the movie. I'm a little gun shy about picking these up in general because I got one of the lovely cuts of Tenebre a while back, but I've never seen Suspiria, which is a black mark on my horror fandom, and I'd love to own a copy.

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

It's not specifically a horror movie podcast, but check out The Last Podcast on the Left. It's 3 comedians who do episodes on all kinds of paranormal/occult/true crime things. Honestly some of the hosts humor and shouting can be grating, but they actually put a lot of research into their topics and that alone makes them interesting. They've also got a huge back catalog so you can really pick and choose topics you find interesting.

Here's an episode guide sorted by topics but I think it's short a good 100 episodes or so by now.

trip9 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 16, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Last Podcast is usually really good, and they cover a wide range of topics. I really like the Heavy Hitters series about serial killers, but I'm not as much a fan of their episodes on conspiracies or the paranormal, because that poo poo is impenetrable. The biggest downside is Henry's characters; they can often be described as annoying as best and WWII propaganda racist at worst.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

My specific problems with Scanners, vaguely in order of how much they irritated me:
  • Lead actor is unbelievably bad and wooden. Even if it was on purpose, it doesn't work.
  • No idea how they took a random bum and turned him into a super-spy in a few days. I guess the reveal explains some of it, but not really.
  • Things just happen, because they have to to move the plot along. 2 people have to be helicoptered in to a super-secret facility with twenty-foot barbed-wire walls, but then just drive out in a cop car
  • The reveal, I guess it's shocking? It felt really tacky, and it's why I'm probably going to hate EpVIII of Star Wars. Can't we just not have everyone's secretly related! for once?
  • Characters are introduced, scenes and and groups are displayed, then immediately discarded (usually by shotgun) and never brought up again. Oh hello Scanner nice-people underground! Welp, now you're all dead, a thing that Revok could have done at seemingly any time.
It's a mess, and as I understand it, it's because they went to the set with a script that wasn't done, with Cronenberg writing furiously for hours before each day, and producers literally driving around looking for places to shoot at.

Everything except the reveal point I strongly agree with. I do think the reveal is a little silly, but it's not terrible. I was always disappointed they didn't go into more detail with the whole Scanner Underground thing. Secret Underground groups meeting in apartments and warehouses and basements is such a seventies and early eighties type thing that just sort of went away, that really always has potential. There was this Canadian TV show called Programme X in the early 70s about an American Civil War happening in modern times, and DC did an ep with those kind of themes.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Liberal Idiot posted:

Call it "Our Favorite Castration Scenes" for maximum SEO.

I'm down to (co)host that segment.

Is Bug any good?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Giallo is my favorite genre as well and so are the Hammer Horror films. If you like B Movies and Hammer films you should look into Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula both are with Udo Kier and are fabulous. They're more mature than some of the Hammer films, but they're just a ton of fun. I'd also look into probably The Abominable Doctor Phibes and Theatre of BLood with Vincent Price.

Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Let's Scare Jessica are both excellent films.

I'm definitely picking up what you're putting down here. I first saw Flesh For Frankenstein and Blood For Dracula on late night tv when I was really young, maybe 13 or 14. I'd seen and was really in to movies like Toxic Avenger and Evil Dead, but these ones floored me. They were so blackly comic, gory, highly sexual and pretty much everything about them completely clicked for young PinkoBastard. They were also the first movies I'd seen with Kier in them, and his performances, especially in Dracula, were really fascinating to me.

I didn't see Phibes or Theater of Blood until many years later but I like both of them. I know Price really loved the latter but I definitely prefer Phibes.

I saw a few Jean Rollin films years ago and honestly I forget which ones they were. I think maybe one of them was Fascination? Anybody know if his stuff is worth revisiting?

Sorry for all the :words:

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2016

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kvlt! posted:

Is Bug any good?

If you're talking about the Friedkin one, hell yes.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Kvlt! posted:

I'm down to (co)host that segment.

Is Bug any good?

I really like it! It's very goofy at times but Michael Shannon just knocks it out of the park and Ashley Judd is great also. AFAIK it's a very faithful adaptation of the play and it feels that way; everything is very contained for most of the film and there's clear act breaks.

I showed it to my wife last weekend and she was speechless after it was done so I think that's a sign of quality.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

I really love it. If you haven't, you may want to check out House of Usher, too! Also a great use of colour, and very well shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Is there any artistic merit to the Guinea Pig series, or is it just shock for shock's sake?

Having challenged myself with many 'most disturbing movie' viewings, I've never found reason to work up the nerve for Flower of Flesh and Blood or it's siblings.

What am I missing out on?