Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just spent the last 30 min looking up Nana Visitor's twitter. Lady seems to be having a blast doing a million things. Also finally saw pictures of her and bashir's love child, looks a lot like him.
Now I need to read other trek actor's twitters! Any particular good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Robert Picardo tweets pictures of the cool places he goes and hangs out with Bill Nye. Garrett Wang is seems to like nothing more than meeting fans at Trek cons.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WickedHate posted:

Mmm, look at those curves.

mods???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was trying to figure out why I didn't remember anything about the humans on that planet and the Beautiful CIties. Then I checked out the episode and realised they didn't even attempt to show the cities. Not even long shot of a painting. Only Voyager would do something as lovely as that.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Cojawfee posted:

I was trying to figure out why I didn't remember anything about the humans on that planet and the Beautiful CIties. Then I checked out the episode and realised they didn't even attempt to show the cities. Not even long shot of a painting. Only Voyager would do something as lovely as that.

What do you mean you didn't see them? They were simply astounding! That they'd come so far on their own, it really showed the struggle these people had in establishing a foothold on this distant world, it really brought the whole episode together!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I just spent the last 30 min looking up Nana Visitor's twitter.

Okay, I did too just now, and jesus she is really hot with like, her hair like that, and the face, and like, what? I retract my previous hottest girl on DS9 opinion, if we count retroactively.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 16, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

I forget was the 37's before or after Neelix hosted a tv show and booked a juggler, but apparently the Voyager production team didn't, so we just got Neelix looking to his left going "wow" for 30 seconds.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Rhyno posted:

They just found a '37 Ford floating in space.

I hate my life.

Some kind of early hovercar?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Baka-nin posted:

I forget was the 37's before or after Neelix hosted a tv show and booked a juggler, but apparently the Voyager production team didn't, so we just got Neelix looking to his left going "wow" for 30 seconds.

First rule of television is "Tell, don't show."

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Which bring me back to Generations and all those people on the inhabited planet in the path of the Nexus that are never shown. Not that it really makes much of a difference with that movie. The 50 years documentary really made me realize just how Spiderman 3 that movie was. We want you to make a Next Gen movie, but it has to have the old crew, but only for about 15 minutes. It has to have a Picard story. It has to have a Data comedy story. We want a villain like Kahn. Ooh we also want the Klingons. Can there be time travel?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

remusclaw posted:

Which bring me back to Generations and all those people on the inhabited planet in the path of the Nexus that are never shown. Not that it really makes much of a difference with that movie. The 50 years documentary really made me realize just how Spiderman 3 that movie was. We want you to make a Next Gen movie, but it has to have the old crew, but only for about 15 minutes. It has to have a Picard story. It has to have a Data comedy story. We want a villain like Kahn. Ooh we also want the Klingons. Can there be time travel?

Sure, let's try premise mad libs.

Klingon separatists want to prevent the empire from going soft, and believe that the only way to ensure True Klingon Strength is to surround the klingon empire with equally warlike states. So they're going to go back in time to prevent the more two-fisted action federation of the original series to stay that way - by getting them embroiled in unending war. Either the federation turns into a worthy ally, or a worthy enemy - they don't really care which. The main klingon villain quotes shakespeare, but the bloodier plays, and considers the fact that shakespeare's comedies are now far preferred to his tragedies to be perfect proof of federation decadence.

Due to technobabble, the Enterprise is exempt from the effects of this time shift. The new Federation is far better at fending off the borg and dominion attacks, and Picard must struggle with whether he considers the many lives saved by the heavily militarized federation worth the uneasy ceasefires, reduction (but not lack) of personal liberties, and xenophobia. Eventually, he goes back in time to stop the klingons, meeting up with the crew of the original enterprise. There's moralizing about how in the past things were more like the wild west, but the goal was always to make for a more calm, peaceful, and understanding world - and that ultimately freedom is worth the cost.

Meanwhile, Data experiments with marijuana.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tunicate posted:

Meanwhile, Data experiments with marijuana.

Boom, there's your movie, I'm in love, I'm buying me and everyone I know tickets for weeks on end, and I'll :commissar: any bootleggers I see.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
At long last, a big budget depiction of a Weed Planet.

Data listening to 27 different Bob Marley and Peter Tosh songs at once while chilling in a beanbag.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Mind you that is the stuff they mentioned on the documentary. You know that they also wanted the Ship destroyed so they could have a new one for the next movie for the sake of toys and such. They also wanted to flesh out Guinen and her story so Whoopie would have something to do. Make sure the holodeck gets in there too.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also, write the whole loving thing on the double while you also write the TNG finale.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

who watches the watchers is prett6 enjoyable. if Discovery fails, I would like them to do Vulcan Little House on the Prairie.

(also featuring Liko's bronze age compound bow, bought from a Sports Authority)

Gonz posted:

At long last, a big budget depiction of a Weed Planet.

Data listening to 27 different Bob Marley and Peter Tosh songs at once while chilling in a beanbag.

the vape-fish beam aboard, their e-cigarette harmonicas replaced with bongs

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 16, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Am I the only one who thinks they should just continue the DS9/Voyager timeline instead of trying to do retro shows? You can't have the 60's back. It's done.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Am I the only one who thinks they should just continue the DS9/Voyager timeline instead of trying to do retro shows? You can't have the 60's back. It's done.

But the current pop culture idea of Star Trek is rooted in the 60s show. It sucks and doesn't make any sense, but thems the brakes. The average person doesn't know Janeway or Sisko, but Kirk and Spock are hosuehold names. If Voyager and Enterprise didn't gently caress it up we could be on our twentieth sequel series by now.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Nothing would make me happier.

We just got to the reveal that Bashir has been a changeling for a month, and everyone realises it has done stuff like deliver the O'Briens baby, and let a changeling die.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It only just occurs to me they had one movie with time travel as a plot element, and followed it up with another movie having time travel in it.

I mean generally you wanna space that poo poo out a bit.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

The problem is that no one wants to push the timeline. Everyone is so afraid of trying to depict really, properly futuristic technology because it'll look cheesy or hokey. Aping the look of Trek is retro.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think it'll be fine. It's amazing Star Trek has been around for 50 years as it is.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

WickedHate posted:

But the current pop culture idea of Star Trek is rooted in the 60s show. It sucks and doesn't make any sense, but thems the brakes. The average person doesn't know Janeway or Sisko, but Kirk and Spock are hosuehold names. If Voyager and Enterprise didn't gently caress it up we could be on our twentieth sequel series by now.

It probably makes sense business-wise, but I'm already groaning at the inevitable flat-screen monitors, holographic displays and bumpy forehead-Klingons, among the million other things they will screw up. A 50 year old show is taking place 10 years after the start of DSC and there's no way in hell they will get it to match.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress having CRTs and bullshit like that. The most fundamental, basic part of the premise of Star Trek is that it takes place in the future. We have to move on from the 1960s, like it or not. We already ignore a bunch of nonsense from TOS.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I just spent the last 30 min looking up Nana Visitor's twitter. Lady seems to be having a blast doing a million things. Also finally saw pictures of her and bashir's love child, looks a lot like him.
Now I need to read other trek actor's twitters! Any particular good ones?

Rene Auberjonois, Marina Sirtis, Gates McFadden, Garrett Wang, and Terry Farell are my favs. They all tweet on their own frequently and interact with their fans. Wang especially. Brent Spiner likes being incredibly sarcastic to people and getting in Twitter fights. Wil Wheaton is an acquired taste, but him and Gates calling each other space-son and space-mom all the time is pretty funny. Shatner's a weird force of nature and I'm still undecided if that's him posting all the time. Michael Dorn does nothing but shill for a Worf series 24/7. There's a ton more, but lots are obviously just self-promotion or run by publicists.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It drives me crazy that Voyager never got a proper MIrror Universe episode. I would watch an entire show set in the MU.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I'm not sure how active she is on Twitter but Kate Mulgrew is a National Treasure and if you ever get the opportunity to listen to her at a con or panel you should take it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Falken posted:

We just got to the reveal that Bashir has been a changeling for a month, and everyone realises it has done stuff like deliver the O'Briens baby, and let a changeling die.

I watched that last week. Doesn't it seem like maybe nothing on-screen ever happened with changeling Bashir? He references a medical conference we didn't know about. There is no reason to think that the previous two episodes were within that month, is there? DS9 skips months between episodes all the time, often with an explicit line of dialogue saying so.

Is this just some nerd-who-figures-out-stardates kind of thing?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Trent posted:

I watched that last week. Doesn't it seem like maybe nothing on-screen ever happened with changeling Bashir? He references a medical conference we didn't know about. There is no reason to think that the previous two episodes were within that month, is there? DS9 skips months between episodes all the time, often with an explicit line of dialogue saying so.

Is this just some nerd-who-figures-out-stardates kind of thing?

He was wearing his old uniform, they changed to First Contact greys a few episodes before.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Who the hell decided to have the knock-off TOS theme on loop in the background of 50 Years of Star Trek? It would be bad enough hearing the original theme on loop for 15 minutes straight, but a knock-off? I can barely watch the thing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Met posted:

First rule of television is "Tell, don't show."

Well yeah, that's why it's called tellevision.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

pyrotek posted:

Who the hell decided to have the knock-off TOS theme on loop in the background of 50 Years of Star Trek? It would be bad enough hearing the original theme on loop for 15 minutes straight, but a knock-off? I can barely watch the thing.

Oh god the not!Trek music was awful.

That retrospective wasn't all that good, EXCEPT for RDM's effective, honest breakdown of why Generations sucked.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

That retrospective wasn't all that good, EXCEPT for RDM's effective, honest breakdown of why Generations sucked.

It's funny, because I just watched Chaos on the Bridge last week, and then the retrospective just sucks Gene's dick for the entire time while I'm laughing to myself thinking about all of the stories with his crazy lawyer and whatnot.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

MikeJF posted:

He was wearing his old uniform, they changed to First Contact greys a few episodes before.

The only reason they had Bashir in the old uniform was to differentiate him from the Changeling Bashir in the same episode. You shouldn't read more into it than that. It straight up doesn't make sense if he had been captured since before the First Contact uniforms. You'd have to accept that Changeling Bashir performed brain surgery on Sisko or that it willingly let the baby changeling die. This would be a strange action from the same race that surrendered an entire war just to get Odo to come home

If you HAVE to justify it, then he wore his old uni to the conference for comfort, I don't know.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 16, 2016

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
So I noticed a bunch of star trek appear on UK Netflix a couple of weeks ago. I'm halfway through S3 of TNG and just reminding myself that it was always the best series.

Picard is my captain.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

peramene posted:

It drives me crazy that Voyager never got a proper MIrror Universe episode. I would watch an entire show set in the MU.

Living Witness Voyager was the closest we got and it was cool. The black leather gloves really make the uniform pop.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Otisburg posted:

Living Witness Voyager was the closest we got and it was cool. The black leather gloves really make the uniform pop.
Warship Voyager :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfSvBGtYYI

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A lot of that is way better than vanilla Voyager. Tuvok's bitchy boredom, Janeway's hair, Cha'ko;tay's weird "My people are pacifists I WANT to HELP YOU but the Doctor will scramble your brains so make it quick", the random Kazon crewmember.

And then Neelix is a uniformed ensign just fucks it all up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Watching through DS9, I think I know part of why people dislike Vic Fontaine. He shows up immediately after In The Pale Moonlight. It could be that anything that followed that would feel like a letdown, and a soft non-war character piece especially so. Maybe it's for the best that they didn't try to follow it up with another high-tier episode.

For the record, I hated Vic and Vic episodes when DS9 was new. I don't hate him anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's because Star Trek shouldn't take 3-4 minute long breaks to feature a loving terrible lounge singer. That's why I hate Vic.