Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
John McLaughlin just died. He kind of invented awful over-simplified panel shows, but Sunday mornings in my family were always all about having a cooked breakfast and watching the McLaughlin Group so I can't help but have fond memories. That theme music makes me think of bacon.

Anyway...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZZK9u8Afg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Seeric posted:

If absolutely nothing else up to this point served as a big warning sign for Republicans to separate themselves as much as possible from Trump, this quote really should do it (but of course it won't). More than anything else, the takeaway from this quote should be that Trump truly only cares about Trump. The major representative of a cause or group should be willing and capable of adjusting their approach and/or shifting their focus if it is clear that their current tactics aren't working. Instead, Trump has indicated that he does not have the slightest care in the world for the fate of the political party he has attached himself to nor has he given any thought towards any long-reaching consequences his loss would have beyond damage to his own ego. The most important thing, as far as he is concerned, seems to be that he puts up a good fight while 'staying true to himself', which apparently means remaining glued to a strategy which has gradually become more hostile, toxic, and ineffective over time. Trump really is the gift that just keeps on giving, isn't he?

You'd think that but:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/765651331034017793

Nah, They're still buying tickets for that sinking ship.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

PhazonLink posted:

It was Dec. 2015. Before the Iowa caucuse(Feb 2016).

It was a different time.

Donald Trump is forcing us all to live in the moment, so its understandable that we would forget Dr. Feelgood, PhD (Aromatherapy)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
trap spring, randroid

i knew you hadn't watched twin peaks yet

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Likely to involve a combination of infrastructure spending, executive action on family leave, minimum wage increase, 5 days of guaranteed sick leave for any employee that works 30 hours a week or more, a federal subsidy for daycare / kindergarten, and a continuation of green energy tax credits and programs from the Obama-era.

Only 5?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

trap spring, randroid

i knew you hadn't watched twin peaks yet

ill get around to it jeez

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It should be noted that the first time that Schilling's employees knew of trouble was when the pregnant wife of an employee had her insurance rejected when she went to a doctor.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AKA Pseudonym posted:

John McLaughlin just died. He kind of invented awful over-simplified panel shows, but Sunday mornings in my family were always all about having a cooked breakfast and watching the McLaughlin Group so I can't help but have fond memories. That theme music makes me think of bacon.

Anyway...

That's sad

I was visiting my folks for Easter and I caught him on PBS this year and he looked absolutely awful both physically and mentally.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Man I'm in the wrong business

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
yes hello i have ten months experience working with the Frog Drinking Tea meme, and a year and a half experience in Rare Pepes. i believe you will find my portfolio contains adequate amounts of racism and russophilia to meet the requirements of the position.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Goatman Sacks posted:

Man I'm in the wrong business

do you really want to argue with a libertarian on whether or not you delivered thirty thousand dollars worth of memes

you're liable to face a meme lien

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Besides, we all know Hillary is the true Meme Queen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoXDe8HxHBA

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Similar to some state laws. Even if you're in an at will state, you can say "I'm sick!" 5 times and you can't be penalized for an "occurrence" or whatever your company calls it. I think CT is 6 days. Will likely be able to be used for any dependents as well.

Edit: different than PTO as well. Could be paid (using PTO) or unpaid even if you don't have PTO. Like a single day of FMLA.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 16, 2016

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Treehorn LLC, huh?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

paranoid randroid posted:

yes hello i have ten months experience working with the Frog Drinking Tea meme, and a year and a half experience in Rare Pepes. i believe you will find my portfolio contains adequate amounts of racism and russophilia to meet the requirements of the position.

nearly every company has a social engagement team doing stuff like this, :getin:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

paranoid randroid posted:

im just saying, when i i see that picture, i emphatically do not hear the phrase "a plastic baggie full of assorted shady russian pharmaceuticals"

please, he provides only the finest in Serbian pharmaceuticals. Manafort prefers Ukrainian pharmaceuticals, I'm sure

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I hope you choke on that albatross they forced around your neck rear end in a top hat.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Anyway...

Exactly the same for me.

:smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This election killed McLaughlin :laffo:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think anybody is really disagreeing with you, but, uh...what's the suggested course of action?

Ideally Miami and similar low-lying areas would evacuate over a long-time period. It would be very difficult, and involve some combination of mandatory flood-insurance and special property taxes, incentives to leave and eminent domain on the holdouts. It goes without saying that new developments would be halted, and long-term infrastructure projects cancelled. Instead the focus would be building infrastructure in areas that can be saved.

There are some examples of towns being abandoned in the US due to imminent disaster, see Centralia PA:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania#Condemnation_and_abandonment

quote:

On May 27, 1962, the firefighters, as they had in the past, set the dump on fire and let it burn for some time. Unlike in previous years, however, the fire was not fully extinguished. An unsealed opening in the pit allowed the fire to enter the labyrinth of abandoned coal mines beneath Centralia.

Some fire-fighters accidentally set the coal mines below the town on fire, resulting in it's entire condemnation and evacuation. Of course, this was only a few thousand people.

In reality this is completely politically impossible. It would require a benevolent dictatorship of perfectly rational robots. Instead we can barely get people to agree there is a long term problem, and any realistic solution is going to be shouted down by a lot of people who would lose everything if the city were abandoned. I'd say we're pretty locked in to doing nothing until there's a disaster. The only question is how much money the federal government pours in to the sea before insurers just pull out entirely.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Saw a report on the TV today in passing about House Republicans claiming Hillary perjured herself in a few different ways regarding the whole email thing (one server vs multiple, individually read/reviewed emails by investigators vs not, etc). Is the outright claim of perjury anything new or likely to affect her career or election chances in any way?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

This election killed McLaughlin :laffo:

He was an 89 year old man in poor health.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm, can't seem to make the auto-Twitter thing work.

quote:

Maxim Tucker – ‏@MaxRTucker

We have fresh and exclusive details on #ManafortCash and the Trump campaign chief's exploits in #Ukraine in tomorrow's edition of @TheTimes

http://www.twitter.com/MaxRTucker/status/765637474601275392

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Saw a report on the TV today in passing about House Republicans claiming Hillary perjured herself in a few different ways regarding the whole email thing (one server vs multiple, individually read/reviewed emails by investigators vs not, etc). Is the outright claim of perjury anything new or likely to affect her career or election chances in any way?

It's the latest nail in the coffin. Said coffin is made of titanium and the GOP will be trying their same ol' rusty nails forever.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ciaphas posted:

No more than any other scandal has in the past 30 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

At this point it's safe to assume that anything the Republicans are saying is meaningless fury signifying nothing unless you're already taking a trump ride down insanity mountain.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Ciaphas posted:

Im pretty sure the bar for proving perjury is really really high. Like they would have to prove that she knowingly lied, and intended to lie while under oath.

It won't amount to anything, but it will give the RWM another chance at the "She lies! And she won't be convicted because the whole system is corrupt!"

While anyone else who reads into the situation will see it as more bluster from congress.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks muchly. I honestly lost track of where that whole scandal went and what conclusions were ultimately reached. Keep telling myself I'm gonna go review and refresh myself, then I don't because trying to understand people and politics makes my head hurt and makes me feel like a dumbass :(

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Just from your description it sounds like them splitting hairs to try and gin up controversy.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Should I be surprised that Hillary is absolutely crushing Trump in New Hampshire? I mean, yeah I know that Obama won the state in the past, but isn't it a pretty libertarian place? And since most polls I've seen show that libertarians are basically Republicans that like weed, I'd think the race would at the very least be closer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mr Interweb posted:

Should I be surprised that Hillary is absolutely crushing Trump in New Hampshire? I mean, yeah I know that Obama won the state in the past, but isn't it a pretty libertarian place? And since most polls I've seen show that libertarians are basically Republicans that like weed, I'd think the race would at the very least be closer.
Trump specifically picked a fight with their primary newspaper and I think this is one of those cases where they hate Hillary less than the average and REALLY hate Donald Trump. It's like how Trump is unlikely to do well in New York above and beyond being a Republican: new yorkers know this motherfucker

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Michael Moore says Trump never expected to get this far and is purposely sabotaging himself..

http://michaelmoore.com/TrumpSabotage/

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Michael Moore says Trump never expected to get this far and is purposely sabotaging himself..

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If Donald Trump was smart, (he's not) he would be cutting a PA attack ad playing up Clinton's endorsement of Kathleen Kane right about now

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In a world where GA is a toss up, SC is polling R+2 and TX is R+6, no you shouldn't be surprised NH Is D+9.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

An article in the WaPo and Vox today about Hillary's transition team and early administration priorities:

- Former Colorado Senator Ken Salazar is the head of the transition team.
- Other members are current Center for American Progress President Neera Tanden, Former Michigan Gov Jennifer Granholm, Obama National Security Advisor Tom Donilon, and Clinton aide Ann O'Leary.
- Her first big domestic agenda item is going to be "Making the Economy Work for Working Families and Parents"
- Likely to involve a combination of infrastructure spending, executive action on family leave, minimum wage increase, 5 days of guaranteed sick leave for any employee that works 30 hours a week or more, a federal subsidy for daycare / kindergarten, and a continuation of green energy tax credits and programs from the Obama-era.
- Foreign policy is going initially focus on cyber-security, Chinese theft of IP from American businesses, and expansion of NATO and Pacific regional alliances against China / Russia.
- Jennifer Granholm is a likely contender for Attorney General
- Neera Tanden will likely be a high-level advisor
- Cabinet is going to be half women
- Wants to include African American and Latino cabinet members
- Will focus on executive action where possible to "get wins" and focus legislative agenda on popular issues and areas for possible bi-partisan compromise (infrastructure spending, getting rid of the sequester permanently in exchange for higher domestic and defense spending, immigration reform, minimum wage)

I wish it were possible to corral every single poster who was so certain that Hillary was going to run to the center after the primary and force this down their throat.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Boon posted:

I wish it were possible to corral every single poster who was so certain that Hillary was going to run to the center after the primary and force this down their throat.

Your facts are interpreted as lies in their brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

good luck bending the river to your will in that case

I want this in the form of a Google Maps overlay so much

• Locked thread