Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Squeegy posted:

How do you guys deal with the mood hit from harvesting organs? I just took them to replace on my colonists, not even to sell, and everybody's sulking.

Colony of Psychopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bunleigh posted:

I had a huge pack of yorkshire terriers appear and join my colony right before a band of traders showed up who, it turns out, were interested in buying some useless lap dogs for like $100 apiece. Score!

Are packs of yorkies a "thing"? I have only had a pack of animals join me twice and both times it was all yorkies

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 16, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I assign long stretches of joy in overlapping shifts so all my colonists gets tons of joy.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bunleigh posted:

I think I overcorrected on the food thing.
There's no such thing as too many fields.

And for you people using redistheat, are you using duct coolers or just trying to suck in cold with intake vents? Because you need to use duct coolers

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azhais posted:

There's no such thing as too many fields.

And for you people using redistheat, are you using duct coolers or just trying to suck in cold with intake vents? Because you need to use duct coolers

What interface mod adds all that stuff with subtypes for stockpile on the top left and the mini-map? Or is that stuff in the base game and I just never realized I could set it that way?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ZearothK posted:

What interface mod adds all that stuff with subtypes for stockpile on the top left and the mini-map? Or is that stuff in the base game and I just never realized I could set it that way?

The subtype thing is one of the buttons in the bottom right of the vanilla interface. I think the singular button on the middle row of buttons below the speed buttons?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Khisanth Magus posted:

The subtype thing is one of the buttons in the bottom right of the vanilla interface. I think the singular button on the middle row of buttons below the speed buttons?

Yeah, I think it's the little notepad/dropdown looking icon. Minimap is from the community core library

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Beautiful, thanks a bunch!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Squeegy posted:

How do you guys deal with the mood hit from harvesting organs? I just took them to replace on my colonists, not even to sell, and everybody's sulking.

Use the mod Prisoner Harvesting.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

a7m2 posted:

OH. this is some good info.

You also want your freezer entrance to be an airlock. Cold air escapes whenever you open doors, and this helps combat that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kanos posted:

...and then Randy decides to have almost my entire power grid, deliberately spread around to prevent such a catastrophe, go up in an explosion. The only thing that didn't get hit was my geothermal, which was on a separate grid powering my sun lamps for the hydroponics.

Sounds like a 'ZZzzt' explosion. Here's the thing about those: they can happen ANYWHERE in a grid connected to batteries, with the potency of the explosion determined by the total charge. This is why people tend to hate batteries since simply having them (and them having any amount of charge) opens up that event. Always put your batteries behind a power switch. That significantly reduces the area that 'Zzzt' explosions can hit.

Or once you have geothermal power, scrap 'em and build your grid around it's constant power flow.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Wish I could have my dumb pawns turn off the lights when leaving a room empty. No concern for the environment at all, the jerks.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

Wish I could have my dumb pawns turn off the lights when leaving a room empty. No concern for the environment at all, the jerks.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2890.0

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So my take on different guns:

Pistols seem like an easy way to level up shooting skill since they cycle so quickly.

Survival rifle is great and useful info the later game in my opinion. Good range and damage.

Mini gun is awful and I regret making one. Not worth the time or cost, just too inaccurate.

Sniper rifle is great especially on a guy with good shooting skill.

LMG is supposed to be virtually identical to turret gun which is decent.

Assault rifle and charge rifle are a nice balance in range and burst compared to the other types

Haven't used shotguns or SMGS much....

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EponymousMrYar posted:

Sounds like a 'ZZzzt' explosion. Here's the thing about those: they can happen ANYWHERE in a grid connected to batteries, with the potency of the explosion determined by the total charge. This is why people tend to hate batteries since simply having them (and them having any amount of charge) opens up that event. Always put your batteries behind a power switch. That significantly reduces the area that 'Zzzt' explosions can hit.

Or once you have geothermal power, scrap 'em and build your grid around it's constant power flow.

Geothermal can't handle the power costs of running a significant indoor farming setup while also powering general base stuff like coolers, heaters, crafting benches, and lamps on its own; sun lamps draw down 1000 power on their own and a geothermal puts out 4k. Unless you got super blessed with geysers packed densely you'll need other power sources, of which the unfortunately unreliable solar and wind are way more material efficient than fueled generators, which unfortunately necessitates batteries.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If you are growing indoors on soil you only need lamps on during the day, plants don't grow during the night and the light doesn't do anything for them then. Set up some solar panels on a separate grid for your greenhouses.

Hydroponics still need constant electricity though.

E: fixed mixed up verb things

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 17, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Kanos posted:

Geothermal can't handle the power costs of running a significant indoor farming setup while also powering general base stuff like coolers, heaters, crafting benches, and lamps on its own; sun lamps draw down 1000 power on their own and a geothermal puts out 4k. Unless you got super blessed with geysers packed densely you'll need other power sources, of which the unfortunately unreliable solar and wind are way more material efficient than fueled generators, which unfortunately necessitates batteries.

That's what the Laser Drill mod is for, making neat arrangements of 6 geothermals for all the power you could ever want :v:
Another alternative is using the scenario editor to forbid the 'Zzzt' incidents from happening.

The best you can do without workshop mods or scenario editing while using batteries is the power switch thing. They'll still happen, just hopefully they'll only happen to your battery grid(s) instead of the whole thing.

I mean, when Storytellers want to kill you they'll tend to make sure it happens. The entire reason I push Geothermal so hard in my games is because of like, 3 different colonies dying because of power related shenanigans.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RT Fuses is so worth getting. I mean, really, the Glitterworlds operate with zero in the way of fusing or circuit breaking?

I've been using the craftable medicine mod, and I think it's basically broken the trader aspect of the game by the end of year three. I have an enormous healroot field, a tiny cotton patch, three colonists who are Medicine 10+ and a bill set to keep us topped up to 200. Between this, a domesticated Alpaca herd, and a 36-strong Husky force whose offspring are now all being sold off as rapidly as possible in order to avoid the colony drowning in dogs I've been able to do poo poo like buy excellent Charge Rifles off of traders, as well as clearing them out of Components, Steel, Plasteel, etc.

Basically this is the first lategame-successful Tribal start I've played and it's satisfying as gently caress, can't wait to see what it takes to bring the settlement down. We're producing our own components, our own firearms, we've got three combustion generators we don't use anymore as reserve power as well as two geothermals and two old wind turbines (with a breaker-ed battery bank), we have multiplying herds of Alpacas and Muffalo, as well as the Huskies and a ton of rabbits.

With the rabbits, I'm trying to scale the herd large enough that I can consistently provide meat for the settlement; so far I'm still ramping up as much as possible, with two breeding males and every female kept alive, and the excess males sent off to check out the freezer, and with over 25 rabbit ladies I'm still pretty far short, even if I was siphoning off all of the maturing females as well. This could wind up getting out of hand.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I keep forgetting about that Fuse mod too. That's another option.

Also regarding late game bases, yeah, the management aspect of the game starts to get out of hand once you're deep into late game.

The answer to your question of what it will take to down your base is going to be generally the same as everyone elses: your storyteller decided it was time for you to die and you get a compound of bad events that ensure your demise.

Unless you've scenario edited out most of those events. That's kind of boring.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've switched to using the laser drill mod and making walls of geothermal generators. Expensive as hell, but gently caress batteries

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I have the industrial mod which lets you research nuclear reactors. Anybody used them? I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. But I like the idea of one centralized power source and its not like there's a lot of practical uses for Uranium .

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

re: defense, I build my main hallway like this:

Colonists on blue dots, enemies try to use red for cover. Colonists each have a clear lane of fire with no overlap, so no friendly fire. You can reduce enemy cover positions to 2 by removing the center column on the right and not having doors to your main hallway if you like. Five colonists with submachine guns or shotguns will hold off an army of raiders no problem.

Using Combat Realism so ymmv.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Azhais posted:

I've switched to using the laser drill mod and making walls of geothermal generators. Expensive as hell, but gently caress batteries

Yeah same.

I now love uranium, the key component in the drills. I had a bulk goods trader come in with over 300 units of the stuff, so now I have three lovely little geo-power plants in a neat little row powering the absolute rapefest that is my entrance

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

diarmuidqq posted:

Colonists on blue dots, enemies try to use red for cover. Colonists each have a clear lane of fire with no overlap, so no friendly fire. You can reduce enemy cover positions to 2 by removing the center column on the right and not having doors to your main hallway if you like. Five colonists with submachine guns or shotguns will hold off an army of raiders no problem.

Put an L wall in front of that to keep sniper raiders from just saying 'hahaha no way am I getting close, I'll just shoot your dudes from way over here' and it'll be pretty good. I don't use Combat Realism though, that might solve that particular issue (even if it's just 'sniper raider runs out of ammo and decides to try and melee.)

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Just realized Jake has been in a bad mood because he was forced to eat a corpse. Sorry man, still learning the interface. :smith:

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

diarmuidqq posted:

Ah, the fabled "dick 'n balls" fortification. Very powerful.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just got this game

I shot a bandit in the stomach and torso so I figured he wasn't going to make it and went on to put him out of his misery

Didn't want to waste any bullets though:

Also I sent an useless 81-year old architect that didn't do any manual labor to hunt ostriches:

10/10

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Haven't used shotguns or SMGS much....

Although the shotgun isn't a bad vanilla weapon, one of my favorite parts of the Combat Realism mod is the ability to make beanbag ammo - so far it's been the perfect way to take someone down without injuring them (too much). I've used it to capture, used it to subdue escapees, and used it to stop rampages and mental breaks.

Once I get a prison built I always create at least one with some of this and keep it around just in case.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The heavy SMG is alright. It's not as good as the assault rifle, but it's way better than the pistol. It won't change anyone's late game setup of all charge rifles all the time (and maybe some snipers) but it's still worth using if you get one early. Nowhere near as useless as the minigun.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Do prosthophobes get a happiness penalty with peg legs? what about simple prosthetic arms?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anyone else feel like being raided always ends up with your colonists being miserable from being exposed to death and dead bodies, making every raid feel like a punishment whether you win it or not? If so here is the mod for you: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746214419

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Feel bad about murdering your fellow man, even if they were the aggressors? Jesus, man up, you pussy

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
There's also a mod that removes the mood debuff that comes from literally stealing a living person's organs.

Mod authors are psychopaths.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Phew, that was a tough raid to fight off, at least I have an extra colonist and two prisoners, time to rebuild, try to expand andOHGODMECHANOID

Had to Dogpile it with all of my fighting colonists and their lovely weapons, worked surprisingly well.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Walton Simons posted:

Phew, that was a tough raid to fight off, at least I have an extra colonist and two prisoners, time to rebuild, try to expand andOHGODMECHANOID

Had to Dogpile it with all of my fighting colonists and their lovely weapons, worked surprisingly well.

I had a huge raid of about 40-50 tribesmen attack. Fought them off, 3 of my 6 people who are capable of fighting downed. Immediately after I get an Infestation warning, which was actually a double infestation with hives and bugs appearing in 2 places at the same time, one in one of the few bedrooms I have in the mountain, the other in my stockpile(where my medicine to treat my downed people was!). I send my 3 wounded by still standing people to get rid of the bugs in my stockpile so I can treat my injured. The delay costs me one person, but I survive and my remaining fighters are now even more injured. Then a poison ship landed. Whee.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
There should be a way to set it so they don't waste good medicine every time some dude gets scratched by a squirrel and save it for actual serious wounds, without having to micromanage every injury.

There probably is and I just don't know about it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bunleigh posted:

There should be a way to set it so they don't waste good medicine every time some dude gets scratched by a squirrel and save it for actual serious wounds, without having to micromanage every injury.

There probably is and I just don't know about it.

i just set everyone to herbal medicine by default and upgrade them to the good stuff if they get a nasty injury

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i just set everyone to herbal medicine by default and upgrade them to the good stuff if they get a nasty injury

Same, herbal medicine is almost as good as regular medicine anyway, and in very large supply.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mzbundifund posted:

There's also a mod that removes the mood debuff that comes from literally stealing a living person's organs.

Mod authors are psychopaths.

That mod doesn't remove any debuffs, it just adds a short mood buff for killing an enemy in a hostile faction. When knights held castles under siege, did they, after repelling the last invader, immediately begin sulking about the lives lost and their blood-covered, body-strewn surroundings? No, they celebrated living another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These aren't knights though, these are gourmet cooks and architects