Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

Her sister is Komand'r :pseudo:

And her father is called Myand'r (because he's an indecisive leader who meanders a lot).

In the foreword for the NTT Vol. 4 trade, Marv Wolfman seems really proud of the Tamaranian names he came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So is this series just Bebop and Rocksteady doing donuts on the timesteam with other temporal iterations of themselves?

Because I'm okay with it if that's the case.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the foreword for the NTT Vol. 4 trade, Marv Wolfman seems really proud of the Tamaranian names he came up with.

I think he's proud that he got away with it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Choco1980 posted:

Did...did they just kill their own past selves?

The car was destroyed but the past selves survived and got in the other car with their other selves. So there's two sets of them careening through time.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Lobok posted:

The car was destroyed but the past selves survived and got in the other car with their other selves. So there's two sets of them careening through time.

It actually looks like both cars had one set of human Bebop & Rocksteady and one set of mutant Bebop & Rocksteady, and one set of the human versions was killed in the crash (you can see Bebop sprawled on the ground and Rocksteady still trapped under the vehicle right before it explodes). But both sets of mutants and one set of humans all end up in the surviving car.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wheat Loaf posted:

And her father is called Myand'r (because he's an indecisive leader who meanders a lot).

Unjustly so. It's like, it's funny when you first realise her name is coriander but then it's sad and disappointing because it's not part of a theme like Kakarot, it's just some guy who isn't Junji Ito making d'r puns.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Ashcans posted:

It actually looks like both cars had one set of human Bebop & Rocksteady and one set of mutant Bebop & Rocksteady, and one set of the human versions was killed in the crash (you can see Bebop sprawled on the ground and Rocksteady still trapped under the vehicle right before it explodes). But both sets of mutants and one set of humans all end up in the surviving car.

I'm hoping that the reason they're not ripping themselves apart at the atomic level from the sheer paradox of what they're doing is because they're too stupid to understand exactly what they're doing. :allears:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the Batman #5 preview
http://www.multiversitycomics.com/previews/exclusive-batman-5/

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cangelosi posted:

Keep all baking sodas away from Starfire. That is all.

Does she drink all sodas by pouring them over her face?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dordreff posted:

Did you ever try eating soda straight from the package? That stuff is dusty. Always use a spoon.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
BeBop & Rocksteady playing time-travel chicken with themselves is the greatest thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dordreff posted:

You know how Wimp Lo was trained to be a bad fighter as a joke? The Teen Titans did that with Starfire, but with social norms.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

There's definitely a dead human Bebop, and a human Rocksteady trapped under the car in the fourth panel of the second page.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

You know how Wimp Lo was trained to be a bad fighter as a joke? The Teen Titans did that with Starfire, but with social norms.

I feel like it was something the cartoon really leaned into more than the comics that preceded it - I think it's more of a legacy of the cartoon than anything Marv Wolfman came up with.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like it was something the cartoon really leaned into more than the comics that preceded it - I think it's more of a legacy of the cartoon than anything Marv Wolfman came up with.

Yeah, but it's hilarious when used well and makes her more interesting than a generic alien sexpot.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is. Marv Wolfman's version of Starfire didn't really have that issue. The recent Starfire series adopted a lot of stuff from the cartoon version since that's what people are more familiar with, and I think it's better for it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I've seen panels floating around of Starfire basically being a humongous slut. Is that just unfortunate drawings with edited text, or is it real, and if it is real how does it reconcile with baking soda chugger Starfire?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

AnonSpore posted:

I've seen panels floating around of Starfire basically being a humongous slut. Is that just unfortunate drawings with edited text, or is it real, and if it is real how does it reconcile with baking soda chugger Starfire?

Real, and I'm pretty sure the answer is "We don't talk about that iteration of Starfire".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Starfire has always been an extremely sex-positive person with no real taboo about nudity, partially because comic wankbait and partially because they were trying to emphasize she was from a weird alien culture.

When Nu52 came about a terrible writer decided this meant she had the memory of a goldfish and had sex with everyone because lovely writing.

They've since promptly ignored that as much as possible.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Starfire has always been an extremely sex-positive person with no real taboo about nudity, partially because comic wankbait and partially because they were trying to emphasize she was from a weird alien culture.

I'm pretty sure the second part of that is just justification, like the guy who wrote about a future where, incidentally, rape was legal, because it's such a weird setting totally different from us and you just like, don't get it man.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

WickedHate posted:

Oh yeah? Then try my nuts to your fist style!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

When Nu52 came about a terrible writer decided this meant she had the memory of a goldfish and had sex with everyone because lovely writing.

They've since promptly ignored that as much as possible.

Yeah, the baking soda eating Starfire still really liked dudes and wasn't shy about it, especially her best human friend in that run's brother. Just in a way that was more focused on her wants and desires than what the men reading wanted. Which happens when you have a woman writer and a female artist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

I'm pretty sure the second part of that is just justification, like the guy who wrote about a future where, incidentally, rape was legal, because it's such a weird setting totally different from us and you just like, don't get it man.

No, the old Starfire genuinely had attempts to write someone who was just genuinely innocent. It was an overarching element of the character and was even converted pretty casually into the animated Teen Titans version by playing up the 'strange HU-MAN ways" aspect. There was an undeniable element of wankbait to it as there unfortunately is with a lot of comic characters (And it of course had lots of lovely moments) but still.

Like there's no version of Starfire who isn't comfortable with sexuality and nudity and that unavoidably leads to certain kinds of writing from lovely writers but there's a difference none the less.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think having a sex-positive superhero like Starfire is pretty great, even if some of it is influenced by wish fulfillment.

From what I remember of the New Teen Titans-era, she wasn't, like, just sleeping around with everybody out of boredom, so much as she just had more lax views on intimacy, and highly valued the emotional aspect of it. I remember after Raven basically brainwashed Dick to have feelings for her (the second time she did something like that too), Starfire took her aside for an entire issue and helped her work out the differences between romantic love and platonic love.

Scott Lobdell then took that, and made it a really dumb thing about having casual sex with everybody because that's how she remembers people.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Her first big story arc in NTT is basically about HIVE murdering her boyfriend and then angst between her and Nightwing when he doesn't want to take advantage of her while she's grieving and she can't figure out why he's pulling away. How Lobdell got from there to what he did, I'm baffled by.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lurdiak posted:

Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything #2

What happens when the two biggest idiots in the world get a time scepter?

And that's just the beginning.

That's amazing.

Also, BeBob and Rocksteady were the best parts (the only good parts?) of the most recent TMNT movie. For all its flaws, the movie got those two down perfect

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alfred being Bruce's stand-in is now my canon no matter if they show it to be Clark or Dick or whoever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Choco1980 posted:

Did...did they just kill their own past selves?

That happens a lot in that story.

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm hoping that the reason they're not ripping themselves apart at the atomic level from the sheer paradox of what they're doing is because they're too stupid to understand exactly what they're doing. :allears:

There's a reason it's called Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything.

Evil Mastermind posted:

So is this series just Bebop and Rocksteady doing donuts on the timesteam with other temporal iterations of themselves?

Because I'm okay with it if that's the case.

Yes. While the turtles desperately try to stop them collapsing reality.

ConfusedUs posted:

That's amazing.

Also, BeBob and Rocksteady were the best parts (the only good parts?) of the most recent TMNT movie. For all its flaws, the movie got those two down perfect

I didn't see that movie, but the IDW comics have been using them extremely well. The old cartoon had them be so stupid and incompetent that it was just kind of obnoxious, and the CG cartoon has them be completely different characters, but this comic keeps the spirit of these two loving idiots intact while making them lovable, compelling and even scary.

While I think everything about the IDW Turtles comic is great, Bebop and Rocksteady's solo comics might be the best part. I know Destroy Everything is the most fun I've had reading a comic in over a year.

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 17, 2016

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Yeah, Bebop and Rocksteady Destroy Everything is probably the most fun I've had reading a comic in basically one million years

The fact that it's drawn by a murderer's row of great loving artists doesn't hurt, either

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Oh my god this is perfect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Forgot to mention, both of those images are from TMNT Villains Micro-series #7: Bebop and Rocksteady.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't see that movie, but the IDW comics have been using them extremely well. The old cartoon had them be so stupid and incompetent that it was just kind of obnoxious, and the CG cartoon has them be completely different characters, but this comic keeps the spirit of these two loving idiots intact while making them lovable, compelling and even scary.

While I think everything about the IDW Turtles comic is great, Bebop and Rocksteady's solo comics might be the best part. I know Destroy Everything is the most fun I've had reading a comic in over a year.

E:

The movie B&R are really close to that first comic. Really close. Down to the excitement about being transformed and the Shredder-worship.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ConfusedUs posted:

The movie B&R are really close to that first comic. Really close. Down to the excitement about being transformed and the Shredder-worship.

Yeah, I liked the most recent movie a lot more than the previous one, and B&R were one of the main reasons why. Also, I love the fact that it basically is just a live action version of the animated series (to the point of having a cover of the theme song play over the credits).

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I was always amazed how poorly those movies ended up since Ninja Turtles seemed liked the perfect fit for Bay's form of mindless visual experiences. B&R seem to illustrate that at least.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Michael Bay's redeeming thematic value comes from his nihilism not his incredible technical prowess, and his production company and gun-for-hire directors don't even have that much to go on. There was no way those movies were going to end up with any sort-of soul.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

So, Mockingbird is still good. I think this is better without context:

(Mockingbird #6)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tim Sale's Batman #5 cover has some rocking tits:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
drat that's a seriously dislocated shoulder. How do you even do that?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Batman is a Jojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Tim Sale's Batman #5 cover has some rocking tits:

Are they fighting or did Batman rudely swing in front of SuperLame's action pose?