Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm usually ambivalent on Slacks but he just had too much to do this year. It's like a Star Wars movie with C3P0 in every third shot, you wouldn't want that because a little of that character goes a long way.

By the all star game, I was done and was shouting for Team Flax (which I still think is a good idea btw).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Acinonyx posted:

I feel like you guys missed a great chance to prank him. If you had thrown it over to him with the news that Moo fell down some stairs and he needed to step up and play, do you think he would have had a heard attack?

This would certainly have made up for slacks overexposure

Someone on reddit finally translated the last day of Chinese comics: http://imgur.com/a/jLXH5

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 16, 2016

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Pyrion Flax posted:

can also confirm I think he's really funny and awesome and he is a lovely guy.

ur wrong

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

does the fat guy in flip flops who buys up everything show up every year?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Xtanstic posted:

This would certainly have made up for slacks overexposure

Someone on reddit finally translated the last day of Chinese comics: http://imgur.com/a/jLXH5

Im Penis-Face Void!

(link the other ones pls thx)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Flax vs Slacks allstar game would be cool for next year, not that Kaci is bad or anything but it would've been more entertaining.

She's great at the interviews though so she should stay forever.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pyrion Flax posted:

thank you.

there were 99% normal and nice people at TI this year. previous years have been similar honestly. it's not like the sea of oddballs you might expect, most of them are really very normal.

but there are a few nutters and they always make themselves known. one of the most annoying this year was a kid who hung out near the panel area all day every day and grabbed us every chance he got to explain how he trolled people in pubs by wisp relocating teammates to terrible places and leaving them there. you can see him in the final segment when kaci and slacks are doing their wrap-up thing near the panel and he just starts talking to kaci like it's a conversation he's involved in.

they're harmless I assume. but always in the back of my mind when someone says "pflax!" is that I'll turn around to see a dude with an axe swinging at my head

That guy rules

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Yo Flax you're a sellout! I remember in a podcast from many years ago how you used to talk poo poo about people wearing suits at DOTA events and saying how you'd never be caught wearing one, like how you were depressed that esports were becoming like a boardroom.

Maybe an exception can be made for suits like Bruno's, and I will admit you were rather snazzily dressed, but that's besides the point!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
There's just flat out too much money involved in TI for everyone to not be rocking suits, honestly.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Pflax LD told me you had bad experiences with goons pls recount stories.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nanomashoes posted:

Pflax LD told me you had bad experiences with goons pls recount stories.

He posted once in the Dota 2 thread. A harrowing experience to be sure and best avoided

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

botany posted:

Im Penis-Face Void!

(link the other ones pls thx)

Penis Void

http://valvestore.welovefine.com/all-mens/faceless-void-underwear-11028.html

Unfortunately no one has been translating the comics. I've been keeping my eye out on reddit.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
We are not worthy of Sunsfan's love, only this guy is

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

The Dota 2 community needs more fun/silly things like the FGC has, this guy has got the right idea. We don't even get freed after TI, how do I know when to stop watching?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember there being a bunch of really butthurt people in SC2 because some FGC guy was at an event and wanting to make bets with people on the matches while watching. Like that was a big deal or issue to them but its a pretty common thing in FGC from the stuff I've been to.

I forget his name, he's somewhat notable and hangs with gootecks. White dude with a gingerish beard.

Edit - What I'm getting at is, Dota 2 has its own fair share of "no fun poo poo" but its not as bad as other games/communities.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 17, 2016

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

What a cool story. I remember seeing him next to Momma Moo several times. What a time to be alive

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Pro click right here. I laughed at "Russians hate sunsfan"

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Does "once a cheat always a cheat" apply to pro dota? Because after reading about the Olympic boxing controversy today I remembered that w33 was branded a cheater many years ago and yet now he's the TI champion.

edit-- oh poo poo i had a bad dream where DC won

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 17, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Guy screwed up, should have gotten a picture of Sunsfan obscuring his face with a picture of himself. A minor lategame throw there but GG nonetheless.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

Because after reading about the Olympic boxing controversy today I remembered that w33 was branded a cheater many years ago and yet now he's the TI champion.
DC lost dude.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

yeah i bet he secretly enabled cheats in the ti lobbies, but :ssh:

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Original_Z posted:

Yo Flax you're a sellout! I remember in a podcast from many years ago how you used to talk poo poo about people wearing suits at DOTA events and saying how you'd never be caught wearing one, like how you were depressed that esports were becoming like a boardroom.

Maybe an exception can be made for suits like Bruno's, and I will admit you were rather snazzily dressed, but that's besides the point!

I only wore a suit on two days, and it was actually my choice. I could have just worn any shirt with a collar and they would have been ok with it but when there's $20m on the line and you have to go on the main stage and tv and all that I wanted to look at least like I new that was going to happen, rather than the only guy there not in a suit. Charlie scowled at me any time I looked even slightly scruffy and that was the real pressure.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
is charlie a dweeb

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Pyrion Flax posted:

I only wore a suit on two days, and it was actually my choice. I could have just worn any shirt with a collar and they would have been ok with it but when there's $20m on the line and you have to go on the main stage and tv and all that I wanted to look at least like I new that was going to happen, rather than the only guy there not in a suit. Charlie scowled at me any time I looked even slightly scruffy and that was the real pressure.

I'm not sure how closely affiliated you are with them anymore but is James going to be bringing back any GD Studio stuff after the initial ship of Diabotical? I know he's planning on doing a GD Studio Reunion Show once the Diabotical Twitter hits a certain amount of Twitter followers but I was kind of curious if he was gonna be doing anything dota related, specifically DreamLeague stuff since Gaben kinda put him on the blacklist.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

I remember there being a bunch of really butthurt people in SC2 because some FGC guy was at an event and wanting to make bets with people on the matches while watching. Like that was a big deal or issue to them but its a pretty common thing in FGC from the stuff I've been to.

There's been a bunch of match fixing scandals in SC over the years so they might have thought he was trolling?
Although nerds being butthurt for silly reasons is always a strong possibility so I could be wrong.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cohsae posted:

There's been a bunch of match fixing scandals in SC over the years so they might have thought he was trolling?
Although nerds being butthurt for silly reasons is always a strong possibility so I could be wrong.

Yeah, the matchfixing stuff is one thing but that was between players/coaches/teams. This was a guy as a spectator making bets with other spectators, which isn't really the same thing.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

botany posted:

hey pflax, while you're here, i just wanted to let you know i think you've done an amazing job this TI and i really enjoyed seeing you host / commentate / whatever

big ups

Exactly this. I am amazed at the journey from funny little videos to TI host. Well done.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

This dude rules and I wish I was this dude.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Osmosisch posted:

Exactly this. I am amazed at the journey from funny little videos to TI host. Well done.

thanks dude

Luna Was Here posted:

I'm not sure how closely affiliated you are with them anymore but is James going to be bringing back any GD Studio stuff after the initial ship of Diabotical? I know he's planning on doing a GD Studio Reunion Show once the Diabotical Twitter hits a certain amount of Twitter followers but I was kind of curious if he was gonna be doing anything dota related, specifically DreamLeague stuff since Gaben kinda put him on the blacklist.

I hope so because I miss James and his whole approach to the scene. he doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves for the innovation he brings behind the scenes. I think the kick-off season of Dreamleague was one of the happiest times I've had working in Dota when I lived in Sweden for a month and we did the tricasts with me, bruno and draskyll and james hosting. it was great.

as for james and the future, he'll be fine. look at the diabotical ks that he did - he had a ton of big names in esports available and willing to help him out. he has a huge amount of "social capital", to use a popular and irritating phrase. dude just owns. I'd work with him again in a heartbeat. he always looks after people.

Up Circle posted:

is charlie a dweeb

charlie is a really cool and funny guy and I like him a lot. I spent a lot more time with him and cap this year than I have in the past and they are both really, really lovely dudes.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Also can confirm Charlie is a very good guy irl. Don't ask me how I know.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 17, 2016

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Wha.. both Charlie and slacks are cool irl..? Could it be, maybe, that this thread is just filled with a bunch of misanthropes?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Well, it is, but that's not why. Most people are cool in real life even if their public persona isn't. Some of the panelists talked about it with regards to Winter, that you never see the real Winter on the panel because it's not the right environment for that.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I miss the LLJK chat channel, where goons could meet and stack in peace

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Golem get ye gone

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
It's gone too? Along with the general thread too? Did people just lose interest?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
normal thread got banished to chat forum

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

rngd in the womb posted:

It's gone too? Along with the general thread too? Did people just lose interest?

It just got really inactive after reborn came out for reasons.
General games thread died because Zoolooman stopped modding it and it got incredibly bad, but there's a thread in the BYOB crew subforum if you wanna post in a general thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
The general thread was awful and got moved to purgatory so this thread could stay open

iirc custom chat channels got wiped at the start of reborn, and when they got re-enabled like 3 days later not many people bothered rejoining. It's still around, but it's really quiet nowadays.

• Locked thread