Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Jeffe posted:

I need an adapter that I can use to plug in an ethernet cord, then plug in the adapter to a DSL wall socket. However, I can't find anything by googling. Is there really no such thing as a DSL-ethernet converter that isn't just a router?

DSL and ethernet are entirely different things, they can't just be "converted" into each other. And what you need isn't a router, it's a DSL modem.

You could attempt to directly wire an ethernet cable into a wall socket that's used for DSL, but the result would be either nothing happening, or your ethernet port getting fried by the current, depending on the country you're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

fishmech posted:

DSL and ethernet are entirely different things, they can't just be "converted" into each other. And what you need isn't a router, it's a DSL modem.

You could attempt to directly wire an ethernet cable into a wall socket that's used for DSL, but the result would be either nothing happening, or your ethernet port getting fried by the current, depending on the country you're in.

Dang, I was worried that's the case. Guess I'll be ordering a long-rear end ethernet cord then. Thanks

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

Dang, I was worried that's the case. Guess I'll be ordering a long-rear end ethernet cord then. Thanks

It sounds like you're asking the wrong question.

How about you describe what you're trying to accomplish and why so someone can give you a decent suggestion.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I have a subscription to a magazine through Amazon. I paid 99 cents for six months.

The same magazine is on sale. One year for five dollars. If i order that subscription, will it extend my current subscription? Or will I get duplicates of the same magazine?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Motronic posted:

It sounds like you're asking the wrong question.

How about you describe what you're trying to accomplish and why so someone can give you a decent suggestion.

In my apartment I have only DSL wall sockets. I've got my wireless router by my TV and my Steam Link is connected directly to the router. My PC is in a a different room so I have a USB wifi receiver for it, but the receiver is starting to fail me especially when streaming to the Steam Link. I'd like to be able to wire the PC straight into the wall, but apparently to do that I'd need to move the router over to plug the PC into. But this just transfers the whole problem from the PC to the Link. So I can either get an additional wireless router or a long enough ethernet cable to run from the computer to the router I already have. Correct? Of those two options, I pick the long cable.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El Jeffe posted:

In my apartment I have only DSL wall sockets. I've got my wireless router by my TV and my Steam Link is connected directly to the router. My PC is in a a different room so I have a USB wifi receiver for it, but the receiver is starting to fail me especially when streaming to the Steam Link. I'd like to be able to wire the PC straight into the wall, but apparently to do that I'd need to move the router over to plug the PC into. But this just transfers the whole problem from the PC to the Link. So I can either get an additional wireless router or a long enough ethernet cable to run from the computer to the router I already have. Correct? Of those two options, I pick the long cable.

Yeah buying an ethernet cable is definitely the way to go for your situation. You should be able to tuck it under carpet edges or whatever just fine.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

El Jeffe posted:

Have you considered a pair of power-line adapters? The latest HomePlug AV2 1200 generation can realistically do about 350-400Mbps and run about $70 for a set of 2.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gyrf posted:

Have you considered a pair of power-line adapters? The latest HomePlug AV2 1200 generation can realistically do about 350-400Mbps and run about $70 for a set of 2.

The problem with power-line adapters is you have no way to tell whether they'll work for a given pair of rooms without actually having the specific items on the outlets you might want to use. So you need to have someplace that carries them and has a very good return policy, or you're completely out your money half the time.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

gyrf posted:

I'd try that, but I can get the cord I need for $10 so I'd rather not chance it with something that might not work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Four questions about Windows 10:

How do I stop the "Window Defender needs to scan your computer" notification from showing up?

How do I stop the "updates have been installed" notification from showing up?

How do I shut down or restart without installing updates?

Where did search go?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Where did search go?

On mine I just open the start menu and start typing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

El Jeffe posted:

Or hit the windows key. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

El Jeffe posted:

Oh, hey, that works. I don't know if that worked before as well, but I swear there used to be a find or search option somewhere in the menu.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is it possible to choke oneself unconscious using your bare hands?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kurtofan posted:

Is it possible to choke oneself unconscious using your bare hands?

No, losing control of your extremities is one of the first things that happens when your brain suffers a trauma. As you start to fade your hands will lose all strength and you'll come right back.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

gyrf posted:

For anyone who cares, these cause major radio interference and IIRC even violate radio regulations (but nobody seems to be enforcing it).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Given that spirits are made from boiling off ethanol from a liquid and then condensing it, how come different spirits have different characteristics as drinks? Why is it that rum, brandy, vodka, tequila etc taste different? Surely it can't be what is fermented to make them, because the distillation produces pure ethanol, right? Is it just a matter of difference in how the distilled liquid is aged?

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

Hyperlynx posted:

Given that spirits are made from boiling off ethanol from a liquid and then condensing it, how come different spirits have different characteristics as drinks? Why is it that rum, brandy, vodka, tequila etc taste different? Surely it can't be what is fermented to make them, because the distillation produces pure ethanol, right? Is it just a matter of difference in how the distilled liquid is aged?

In addition to the aging aspect, I don't think the distillation processes produce 100% pure ethanol, and you are getting some of the lower boiling point material as well.

e: http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/15413/why-do-distilled-alcoholic-beverages-taste-different-from-each-other

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You're not drinking pure ethanol, you idiot.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

alnilam posted:

For anyone who cares, these cause major radio interference and IIRC even violate radio regulations (but nobody seems to be enforcing it).

They absolutely do not violate radio regulations, unless you're buying strange off-brand versions. The ones you'll see on normal electronics store shelves are within the radio regulations for your country.

And if you have major radio interference with them, it's likely that something went wrong in the wiring of your house. They are expected to add a bit of noise/hum to AM radio broadcasts, much like fluorescent lights will, but it shouldn't be overpowering or affect FM radio.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Oh, hey, that works. I don't know if that worked before as well, but I swear there used to be a find or search option somewhere in the menu.

It's worked since Vista, I'm pretty sure.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What determines how links are handled on a webpage?

On some sites, I click on a link and it leaves the page and goes to that link. Other times, the link either opens in a new tab or even a new window.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

What determines how links are handled on a webpage?

On some sites, I click on a link and it leaves the page and goes to that link. Other times, the link either opens in a new tab or even a new window.

The person who coded it. Phone posting or I'd find you a link, but there's a "target" attribute you can attach to links that tells the browser how to open it.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

kedo posted:

The person who coded it. Phone posting or I'd find you a link, but there's a "target" attribute you can attach to links that tells the browser how to open it.

Thanks. Any reason to prefer one method over another?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MJP posted:

Anyone know where I can find a pair of Lennon-style eyeglass frames that can be done as prescription sunglasses?

Moreover, I never seem to find super mirrored prescription sunglasses - is that a thing that can even be done? I'm looking for one-way glass mirroring, as much as I can get.

Reposting in hopes of a decent lead :-(

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

MJP posted:

Reposting in hopes of a decent lead :-(

http://www.framesdirect.com/framesfc/John_Lennon-lamcoi-pr-l.html?affiliate=73

How about this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thanks. Any reason to prefer one method over another?

The kind that switch directly to another page are best for something like search results, the kind that open a new tab/window are best for something like a long article where you want the reader to be able to easily reference another page.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I had a vague idea that my router could act as a DNS server to the outside world, but I guess my networking knowledge is even less good than I'd thought!

Sure, your router could act as a DNS server... but unless the higher-level DNS server (or the root nameservers, if you wish to set up a top-level domain of your own) knows about your domain and DNS server(s) associated with it, the outside world won't know to ask it anything.

In order to have the outside world even know that your router has a DNS server on it, you would have to register a domain. But that has a bunch of requirements of its own, one of which is that a public authoritative DNS server must have a static IP address. That would be the "enterprise-grade" way of having a DNS domain.

The middle ground would be registering a domain via DNS provider like joker.com for example. That way you provide the DNS records you want to have, and the DNS provider will host your domain on their DNS servers.

For basic home use, it might be more appropriate to use one of the Dynamic DNS services instead, especially if you have a "personal" internet connection whose IP address may sometimes change. dyn.com (originally DynDNS) is one of the oldest DDNS providers, and works globally; there are others that might be cheaper, though.

Such DDNS providers usually have a set of domain names registered, and you can choose from them. Then, you can install a DDNS update client on your system, choose a public name for your system, and then your system will be reachable from the Internet using a name like <name of your choosing>.<providers.domainname>. Some routers even include a DDNS client in their firmware: it might only work with a limited selection of DDNS providers, though.

The DDNS update client does not necessarily have to be on the router itself: if you have a system behind the router that is always/frequently running, it can run the DDNS update client instead of the router. The update client will contact the DDNS provider once in a while (usually only once every several days unless your public IP address changes): each time that happens, the DDNS provider looks at which public IP address the connection is coming from, verifies that your user account is still active and that the password provided to the DDNS update client is valid, and then makes sure that the name you picked is still associated with that IP address, or updates the DNS records in the provider's servers if necessary.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

fishmech posted:

The kind that switch directly to another page are best for something like search results, the kind that open a new tab/window are best for something like a long article where you want the reader to be able to easily reference another page.

Okay, thanks.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This is from two months back...

kedo posted:

You're missing a weight of Helvetica Neue on your computer and/or you installed a different version of Helvetica Neue than the default either intentionally or without noticing. I've had this same issue in the past. As a designer I tend to have a crapload of fonts installed on my computer and several times previously I've accidentally installed a version of Helvetica Neue with ~20 different weights over the system Helvetica Neue which has about five or six. The result is what you're seeing.

Regardless as to whether you're missing a font file or you have a weird version installed, your computer thinks it's showing the right version of the font. I've never been able to solve this without doing a clean reinstall of my OS. Good luck. :(

fishmech posted:

I suggest you try temporarily deleting Helvetica Neue from your system and then verifying if you have Arial properly installed.

On Windows the fonts will usually be located in C:\Windows\Fonts and you can just look through them like this:

I reinstalled Helvetica Neue and everything seems to work perfectly now. I might have been missing a weight of that font. Finally got around to fixing this today -- thanks folks.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

fishmech posted:

One of the news sites in my country has this incredibly annoying feature where if I middle click any link to open in a new tab it'll do that, but the original tab will also open the new link. Why would anyone code the links to do that and can I stop it using chrome?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

uwaeve posted:

In addition to the aging aspect, I don't think the distillation processes produce 100% pure ethanol, and you are getting some of the lower boiling point material as well.

e: http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/15413/why-do-distilled-alcoholic-beverages-taste-different-from-each-other

Great! Thanks.

Mr. Squishy posted:

You're not drinking pure ethanol, you idiot.

Obviously, you idiot, because the barrels the stuff is aged in imparts ingredients as well, which I said in my post. And they dilute it with water. It was pretty clear from my question that I wanted to know why it isn't ethanol with barrel flavours, not that I thought it was pure ethanol.

In conclusion: go gently caress yourself.

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 18, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Chickpea Roar posted:

One of the news sites in my country has this incredibly annoying feature where if I middle click any link to open in a new tab it'll do that, but the original tab will also open the new link. Why would anyone code the links to do that and can I stop it using chrome?

There's really no rhyme or reason why developers make links open how they do besides their own personal preference and a client's wishes. Some people ascribe to the notion that onsite links should open in the same window and offsite in a new window. Others will handle clicks with JavaScript instead of a browser's built in link handling (probably what is causing your issue) which can allow them to do fancy stuff but also results in unintended behavior for power users who know how to open things in new windows themselves. Believe it or not, most users just left click stuff.

There are no standards for this type of behavior, it's literally different on every site.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Where can I read up on and/or get a good iPhone app on basic newbie exercises for anaerobic muscle-building that don't require traditional weights or a gym? I'm broke as of recently but still want to do some kind of exercise routine now.

I am, of course, a goony idiot who gets easily intimidated when it comes to intensive physical exercise and failed miserably when I tried a fitness log in the Fitness Log Cabin back in college so many years ago, but I'm a different person in some ways now than I was then and I am willing and able to get into shape for real this time. I've even successfully lost major amounts of weight by lightly controlling my diet and walking more instead of sitting around and have gone from 220 lbs to 178 lbs at 5'8" as a result, and so I feel confident that this time it will actually work out (:v:).

Is Fitocracy still a good resource too? I haven't checked that stuff out in a long time so I don't even know if it still exists.

Thanks in advance!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 18, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
E: quote is not edit

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Where can I read up on and/or get a good iPhone app on basic newbie exercises for anaerobic muscle-building that don't require weights or a gym? I'm broke as of recently but still want to do some kind of physical intensive exercise routine now.

I am, of course, a goony idiot who gets easily intimidated when it comes to intensive exercise and failed miserably when I tried a fitness log in the Fitness Log Cabin back in college so many years ago, but I'm a different person in some ways now than I was then and I am willing and able to get into shape for real this time. I've even successfully lost major amounts of weight by lightly controlling my diet and walking more instead of sitting around and have gone from 220 lbs to 178 lbs at 5'8" as a result, and so I feel confident that this time it will actually work out (:v:).

Is Fitocracy still a good resource too? I haven't checked that stuff out in a long time so I don't even know if it still exists.

Thanks in advance!

Start with this
liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Then maybe check out this free ebook written by a goon so goony that he got arrested for something related to a katana (or so I've been told in this here forum)
https://www.brainoverbrawn.com

The former is a good quick read that is a good all around intro to fitness, IMO. The latter details a lot of at home exercises you can do, and i think the resistance training section is quite good and despite joking i wish the author well. Warning, the ebook author guy is really into "high intensity interval training" for cardio, which is one of those things that works fine but it's followers swear it's the ONLY WAY. Take the interval training stuff with a grain of salt. But read at least the resistance training section for at-home lifting.

Lifting actual weights at a gym is awesome, if you find you can afford it later on I recommend giving it a try sometime.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 18, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Just search for body weight workouts or "prison" workouts.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm trying to find an animated short from the late 90s. It was about a kid who was also a scientist solving the problem of the knife cross-contaminating the spreads when you're making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (like getting jelly in your peanut butter jar). The kid, whose gender I'm not sure of, had the solution of making a system of two pressurized tubes that squirted out PB&J instead. I think it was less than two minutes long because it played on commercial breaks a lot.

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 19, 2016

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Well I tried to find what you were talking about but the closest thing was brian regan comedy sketches that people animated and this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Cm4Cy3rxs
Which is apparently about ghosts, peanut butter, and hair growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm trying to find an animated short from the late 90s. It was about a kid who was also a scientist solving the problem of the knife cross-contaminating the spreads when you're making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (like getting jelly in your peanut butter jar). The kid, whose gender I'm not sure of, had the solution of making a system of two pressurized tubes that squirted out PB&J instead. I think it was less than two minutes long because it played on commercial breaks a lot.

Is it the same one where his demo of the system results in a huge mess and a man with a peanut allergy getting drenched?