Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I had a good po boy in MS. Then a waddling white dude told me to be careful in NOLA because there are n-words there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also, the transition chair has nothing to do with setting the campaign's or future EPA's policies.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Harrow posted:

Lots of my "voting for Clinton but not too happy about it" friends are pretty worried about Ken Salazar's appointment as her transition chief due to his pro-fracking (and anti-any sort of fracking regulation) positions. I mostly agree that it's a pretty big misstep but I'm wondering a) how much it matters and b) what people who are generally pro-Clinton can/should do about it.

Well, first I'd invite them to learn what a transition chief does.

Sounds to me that they're mad about someone they disagree with being on their team, so I'd advise them to "suck it up".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Isn't Clinton pro-fracking?

Last I could find on Clinton's stated fracking position is:

quote:

I don’t support it when any locality or any state is against it, No. 1. I don’t support it when the release of methane or contamination of water is present. I don’t support it — No. 3 — unless we can require that anybody who fracks has to tell us exactly what chemicals they are using.

So by the time we get through all of my conditions, I do not think there will be many places in America where fracking will continue to take place. And I think that’s the best approach, because right now, there are places where fracking is going on that are not sufficiently regulated.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/apr/13/bernie-s/does-hillary-clinton-support-fracking/

So it's a slippery position, but as I read it, it boils down to: "Don't force fracking on any place that doesn't want it; shut it down when you can prove water contamination; regulate it to the point that most companies are gonna be like, 'nah, not worth it.'"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Harrow posted:

It wasn't so much "run an attack" as "publish one of those press release letters," but yes.

The Trump campaign's slogan is "I am rubber, you are glue."

Ah, close nuff on the details.

So yeah, let's attack Clinton on being friendly with Putin when you're right hand man is transparently in the pockets of Russian interests.

It really is too bad that film is more or less dead with the switchover to digital because all of the Trump campaign staff are excellent projectionists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/765938432669614084

Same poll had him +10 in July.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

SubponticatePoster posted:

Uh, Delta Blues are good and cool. Other than that? Um, well, I

poo poo.

Mississippi: literally best export is sadness and misery

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/765896964408041473

If this is true this is stunning malpractice on the part of Aetna.

If only there was something to do about it, or some way to bring them to account.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

greatn posted:

How much longer till they kick Darryl Issa to the curb?

That's San Diego, and I'm pretty sure it'll stay Republican for a while yet. There's a lot of rich fucks in his district, including two of Mitt Romney's sons.

It's my home district :negative: Maybe the continuing influx of Asians will eventually flip it blue.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Harrow posted:

Lots of my "voting for Clinton but not too happy about it" friends are pretty worried about Ken Salazar's appointment as her transition chief due to his pro-fracking (and anti-any sort of fracking regulation) positions. I mostly agree that it's a pretty big misstep but I'm wondering a) how much it matters and b) what people who are generally pro-Clinton can/should do about it.
"Environmentalists" love to just say 'no' to each method of producing baseload power. They are against nuclear, oil, coal, and natural gas (by way of being against fracking). They live in a fantasy world where wind and solar are capable of providing baseload, and everyone can and will magically voluntarily cut back on their energy usage.

Of the reliable methods of actually producing sufficient baseload power, nuclear has the least carbon emissions, and natural gas has second least. The U.S. has been able to significantly reduce its carbon output in the last decade, and it is mostly due to a transition to natural gas from coal/oil.

True, there are valid points to be made regarding fracking regulations and avoidable emissions and negative local geologic effects, but those opposed to fracking generally are opposed to it entirely, instead of having specific addressable concerns.

In short, ask your friends what would be better than natural gas (keep in mind that getting a nuclear plant online takes several years, if they are not also opposed to nuclear) and see if they say something reasonable. Chances are they won't, in which case you can educate them or ignore them.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I would bet money Reince pulls funding this week. Unless he's clinically handicapped. My hope is that when the RNC dumps Trump he spends the rest of the election attacking them to buff his audience for the Trump Breitbart Network to come

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

theflyingorc posted:

Mississippi is almost certainly the worst state in the union, this is just more evidence of that.

Your largest city has less than 200,000 people, you've got some of the worst southern heat, you don't have any natural splendor worth mentioning AND you're always near last in nearly every quality of life metric? What DON'T you do well, MS???

edit: lol just remembered that their state flag has an inset Stars 'n Bars

There's SOME natural splendor here. But that's about it. The Delta is some place that I think everyone should visit. It's a mix of some intense musical and food heritage wrapped in a literal small third world country. It's insanity and I don't think most people understand how poor that area of the state is and would have their minds blown that someplace that ragged and desperate exists within the US.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Harrow posted:

Last I could find on Clinton's stated fracking position is:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/apr/13/bernie-s/does-hillary-clinton-support-fracking/

So it's a slippery position, but as I read it, it boils down to: "Don't force fracking on any place that doesn't want it; shut it down when you can prove water contamination; regulate it to the point that most companies are gonna be like, 'nah, not worth it.'"

That Politifact page has a link to this in-depth MJ piece: http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/09/hillary-clinton-fracking-shale-state-department-chevron

I get the impression that she's prioritizing energy independence over sustainable energy, which makes sense for the secretary of state. I don't like that, but it's not ridiculous.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Thundercracker posted:

I would bet money Reince pulls funding this week. Unless he's clinically handicapped.

Trump must be breathing a sigh of relief that his funding is safe.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

I would bet money Reince pulls funding this week. Unless he's clinically handicapped. My hope is that when the RNC dumps Trump he spends the rest of the election attacking them to buff his audience for the Trump Breitbart Network to come

Hard to think of a worse pick, from the GOPe standpoint. A lot of "anonymous" sources are saying that this is only going to hasten the RNCs exit from the Trump campaign, and they're probably right. Unless they're too afraid of a whipped up right wing media base to oppose Trump.

Oh baby.
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/765929214059089920

That's House flippin territory.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2016

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

theflyingorc posted:

Mississippi is almost certainly the worst state in the union, this is just more evidence of that.

Your largest city has less than 200,000 people, you've got some of the worst southern heat, you don't have any natural splendor worth mentioning AND you're always near last in nearly every quality of life metric? What DON'T you do well, MS???

edit: lol just remembered that their state flag has an inset Stars 'n Bars

MS pride chat always reminds me of that quote from WAR FOR STATES RIGHTS!!! where a Tennessee unit was engaged in heavy battle at shilo, most of the men were laying down to find cover when a Mississippi regiment charged in shouting "Out of the way Tennessee and let Mississippi in!". a few moments later they were routed and some Tennessee guy yells out "Out of the way Tennessee and let Mississippi out!"

Radish posted:

BTW plz don't read anything about my VP pick thanks!

Or my now ex campaign manager, or my existing campaign manager, or anything I've said to this point, or anything the republican party sets as their guidelines....in fact forget you ever heard anything about anyone

Trump already poo poo the bed and rolled around in it. Now he's trying to claim the poo poo all over him and the sheets was a bag of M&Ms he fell asleep on last night. and the vomit between the poo poo stained mattresses is just the remains of the sandwich he was eating when he won the nomination

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 17, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

It's that one.

Inferior Third Season posted:

"Environmentalists" love to just say 'no' to each method of producing baseload power. They are against nuclear, oil, coal, and natural gas (by way of being against fracking). They live in a fantasy world where wind and solar are capable of providing baseload, and everyone can and will magically voluntarily cut back on their energy usage.

Of the reliable methods of actually producing sufficient baseload power, nuclear has the least carbon emissions, and natural gas has second least. The U.S. has been able to significantly reduce its carbon output in the last decade, and it is mostly due to a transition to natural gas from coal/oil.

True, there are valid points to be made regarding fracking regulations and avoidable emissions and negative local geologic effects, but those opposed to fracking generally are opposed to it entirely, instead of having specific addressable concerns.

In short, ask your friends what would be better than natural gas (keep in mind that getting a nuclear plant online takes several years, if they are not also opposed to nuclear) and see if they say something reasonable. Chances are they won't, in which case you can educate them or ignore them.

That helps my own understanding, so thanks. I'll bring this up the next time my friends and I talk about this.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Inferior Third Season posted:

All the better reason to start now instead of hemming and hawing about it as our planetary climate and ecology transforms all around us.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

SedanChair posted:

If only there was something to do about it, or some way to bring them to account.

Well, good thing there's a strong public op-

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
As a side note, Mississippi's declaration of secession is the most bitchmade pissbaby document ever produced by a government body, and it's all crying about :qq: OUR SLAVES :qq: without even the slightest pretense of being about anything else.

:heritage:

Mississippi would be a hilarious black comedy state if it wasn't for all the making GBS threads on the large minority population. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Was it this thread that was just discussing Perry vs. Cruz?

"'Shame on you ’: Rick Perry takes fallen Muslim soldier's father to task for attacking Trump"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ttacking-trump/

:shrek:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2016

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Was it this thread that was just discussing Perry vs. Cruz?

"'Shame on you ’: Rick Perry takes fallen Muslim soldier's father to task for attacking Trump"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ttacking-trump/

:shrek:

Still less offensive than Téd Crüz's existence.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Lumbar support is a liberal plot.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Brannock posted:

All the better reason to start now instead of hemming and hawing about it as our planetary climate and ecology transforms all around us.

Yeah, but it's mostly an uphill battle because while environmental groups have been flooding the place with ads and propaganda for decades on the dangers of nuclear, the nuclear industry has really done nothing to promote itself, so public opinion is really, really against nuclear.
When the subject does come up three names pop into heads straight away; 3 Mile, Chernobyl, and Fukashima. No one will look into either to understand how it either wasn't as bad as was said to be or how it was a botched situation that's pretty much impossible to happen now, but yeah. Ignorance is bliss, as they say

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 17, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

theflyingorc posted:

I'm the multiple pictures of pillows that clearly have no pressure on them in any way but are clearly "propping her up"

She is crushing Trump in the pillow demographic but I doubt they are the linchpin of her support.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Someone a while back posted an article talking about what Clinton's first 100 days might include, as well as her transition team. I am having the damnedest time finding that article on my own, so can someone help me out?

I, too, have friends who seized on Salazar's appointment as a(nother) signal that Clinton is unredeemable. I'm not worried about convincing them, I'm worried about them demoralizing our mutual friends who don't have the same unhealthy obsession with politics that I/we do.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

kelvron posted:

Imagine if FDR was running today.

Well, standing for election.

poo poo, if he was on the ballot...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

kelvron posted:

Hillary Clinton: liberal with lumbar support, liberal with values!

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SimonCat posted:

Imagine if FDR was running today.

Well, standing for election.

poo poo, if he was on the ballot...

trumpmocksdisabledreporter.gif

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

sean10mm posted:

As a side note, Mississippi's declaration of secession is the most bitchmade pissbaby document ever produced by a government body, and it's all crying about :qq: OUR SLAVES :qq: without even the slightest pretense of being about anything else.

:heritage:

Mississippi would be a hilarious black comedy state if it wasn't for all the making GBS threads on the large minority population. :(

And the Mississippi flag literally has the traitor battle flag in it. The only state to do so.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Diane Rehm show talked about Donald Trump's mental illness today.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How pathetic must you feel writing about Hillary Clinton's pillows?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

lol

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Lumbar support. Hillary no longer crooked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ImpAtom posted:

How pathetic must you feel writing about Hillary Clinton's pillows?

More desperate than a MRA trying to pick up a date.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

zoux posted:

They're just going to hand him a 200 page document completely redacted out.

They know he won't have the attention span to actually read it as opposed to pretending he did.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SedanChair posted:

It kind of sickens me that there's no provision to say "Oh you want to sell private hc in the U.S.? Great, be part of the exchange. Oh you don't want to be part of the exchange? Get hosed".

But, :patriot: and all.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I am 33 years old, work out 5 times a week and have a pillow in my work car since I wear a duty belt that kills my lower back. How is this even news? Why does anyone think this is what will finally bring hillary down

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
When Hillary sat through the Benghazi hearing for 11 hours, I'll bet she needed a pillow as well. Unfit to lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh, that most pernicious and decadent of liberal vices, comfort. Disgraceful.

• Locked thread