Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Article looking back on Fantastic 4, mostly interesting for a few details on what was in the original draft of the script:

http://screencrush.com/fantastic-four-2015-what-went-wrong/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And Green Lantern WB? :smith:

Rumors from 4chan suggest WB is courting Alfonso Cuaron to direct The Green Lantern Corps.

https://twitter.com/GeekPride5/status/765656480250892288

Biggest "holy poo poo if true" for me is New Gods with George Miller directing. That's basically :gizz:

Water Sheep
Jan 6, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That moment fell flat for me, just because I thought he was about to use the nukes, and was disappointed when I realized he wasn't.

Yes, the *not* using nukes is a vastly more impressive display of power than if he had. He basically accomplishes Shaw's plot from First Class in 2 minutes, and then decides it's beneath him.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Article looking back on Fantastic 4, mostly interesting for a few details on what was in the original draft of the script:

http://screencrush.com/fantastic-four-2015-what-went-wrong/

This is very interesting. Like, it's really obvious to pick out what went wrong with Fantastic Four, but the movie that the screenwriter in this article had written sounded not only incredibly expensive but probably at least two movies long. Squeezing Annihlus, Doom and Mole Man into a movie with the origin story sounds like a lot. I don't think Trank's idea was so terrible, but I also don't think he was quite capable to make it happen.

teagone posted:

Rumors from 4chan suggest WB is courting Alfonso Cuaron to direct The Green Lantern Corps.

Biggest "holy poo poo if true" for me is New Gods with George Miller directing. That's basically :gizz:

I bet very little of this is true. They're gonna let Snyder do Man of Steel 2 if he wants it, and the rest is basically just "Director Mad Libs". Actually, I know Miller has been talking to WB, if Snyder doesn't do Man of Steel 2, I'd bet Miller would be given that one. I also don't buy that a New Gods movie is gonna be a thing, and I think DC is trying to stay away from explicitly connecting any TV shows to the DCCU, especially Titans, which is just something that has been in development for a long rear end time.

Yoshifan823 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 17, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

teagone posted:

It makes sense that they push back Justice League 2 if they're adding another Man of Steel. The next few years are going to be packed though, including the MCU there's like 5-6 comic book movies a year coming out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Comic book movies are pretty much the only non-animated and non-horror movies that makes money this year.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

They're gonna let Snyder do Man of Steel 2

Yeah, I'm dubious of a long list of directors doing DC properties with Zack Snyder's name nowhere on it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I'm dubious of a long list of directors doing DC properties with Zack Snyder's name nowhere on it.

It's coming out a year after Justice League and I think he's doing JL2 already so he'd be kinda busy.

That being said, it probably should already be in preproduction if it's supposed to come out in 2018. I'm betting it'd fit more where the Batman film is since Affleck is already working on that.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 17, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

computer parts posted:

It's coming out a year after Justice League and I think he's doing JL2 already so he'd be kinda busy.

That being said, it probably should already be in preproduction if it's supposed to come out in 2018.

My comment was taking into account the whole of the list, including that Patty Jenkins is listed as a possibility for Justice League 2, not Snyder.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

David Ayer said he also wanted to direct a Superman movie.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don't think I could thing of 3 more radically different directors than the ones listed as being the top contenders for MoS2 if I tried.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tim Burton, Tyler Perry, and Roberto Bernini

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shane Carruth, Tom Hooper, and Nicholas Stoller.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lars von Trier, Michael Bay, Seymore Butts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Nice try, we all know Lars Von Trier and Seymore Butts are the same person

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dinesh D'Souza, David Lynch, and Joss Whedon

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

David Ayer said he also wanted to direct a Superman movie.
Replacing Zack Snyder is one step in the right direction, but another step would be to prevent studio meddling. Warner Bros needs to find a good director and put its faith in him.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I wonder what the reception of BvS looks like if it's largely similar to the current film but with Batman being played by Christian Bale as a post-TDKR retired Batman who makes his return after MoS. Obviously people liked Affleck and there'd be big tonal/plot/character weirdness to allow that Bruce Wayne to come back, but from a marketing/financial/critic perspective Bale and the TDK movies would've brought along a lot of pre-existing goodwill. It's kinda weird to me how much trouble DC is having winning people over with the Snyder films when the Dark Knight movies were so popular, they don't feel that different to me. If anything, Nolan is more clinical/sterile/cold than Snyder's more vivid comic book-ness.

Alternatively, make Birdman even more awesome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Electromax posted:

I wonder what the reception of BvS looks like if it's largely similar to the current film but with Batman being played by Christian Bale as a post-TDKR retired Batman who makes his return after MoS. Obviously people liked Affleck and there'd be big tonal/plot/character weirdness to allow that Bruce Wayne to come back, but from a marketing/financial/critic perspective Bale and the TDK movies would've brought along a lot of pre-existing goodwill. It's kinda weird to me how much trouble DC is having winning people over with the Snyder films when the Dark Knight movies were so popular, they don't feel that different to me. If anything, Nolan is more clinical/sterile/cold than Snyder's more vivid comic book-ness.

The only negative thing I've heard in BvS about Batman is that he kills* people. People were a little wary about him going into it but him and Wonder Woman were by far the most well received parts of the film. The issue has always been Superman.

*Read: Does exactly what Batman does in every other iteration for the past 30 years, but doesn't explicitly say "oh they're just unconscious".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

greatn posted:

Tim Burton, Tyler Perry, and Roberto Bernini

Yoshifan823 posted:

Shane Carruth, Tom Hooper, and Nicholas Stoller.

TetsuoTW posted:

greatn posted:

Dinesh D'Souza, David Lynch, and Joss Whedon

I expected this to happen and I'm glad it did

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I didn't care for Affleck's Batman much at all but he was definitely one of the better Bruce Waynes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

computer parts posted:

*Read: Does exactly what Batman does in every other iteration for the past 30 years, but doesn't explicitly say "oh they're just unconscious".

The problem is that if you read DC comic books from, I dunno, 1990-2010 then you probably read well over a dozen stories that were specifically about how Batman never kills and never uses guns. Entire story arcs that spanned multiple titles were all about how the heroes can never, ever kill anyone. Wonder Woman killed one dude, who absolutely had to die, and it almost resulted in the permanent disbanding of the Justice League. The entire basis behind the character of Huntress is that she doesn't mind using lethal force and Batman will not allow that in his city. The entire Under the Red Hood arc is all about how Batman wouldn't kill the Joker. It's stated outright multiple times in Batman comics that if Batman were to ever kill someone, Gordon would immediately take charge of the task force to hunt Batman down. There's probably well over a dozen panels where Batman rolls up on someone with a gun and gets right in their face and says "I don't like guns" before loving them up. The supremely badass moment in Batman/Superman comics where Batman dons a sword and starts loving up Doomsday clones that aren't technically alive would make no sense if Batman was already lethal.

I could go on and on really.

Also Bale's Batman is weird. It's fine on the very first viewing of whatever movie, but upon a second viewing you start to notice how garbage he is. For one, that voice sucks but oddly enough it didnt really bother me until someone pointed it out to me. Also it became impossible for me to take anything he says seriously once I noticed that he loving almost never closes his mouth. Poke some loving airholes in the nose, dumbass.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If you read comic books at all, the premise of a different take on a well known character is built right into the concept of superheroes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bale doesn't close his mouth because the suit was too constricting. He's on record saying he physically couldn't breathe through his nose when in suit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Bale doesn't close his mouth because the suit was too constricting. He's on record saying he physically couldn't breathe through his nose when in suit.

Which is something you'd think they fix, unless Nolan was just in love with mouth breathing Batman.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The problem is that if you read DC comic books from, I dunno, 1990-2010 then you probably read well over a dozen stories that were specifically about how Batman never kills and never uses guns. Entire story arcs that spanned multiple titles were all about how the heroes can never, ever kill anyone. Wonder Woman killed one dude, who absolutely had to die, and it almost resulted in the permanent disbanding of the Justice League. The entire basis behind the character of Huntress is that she doesn't mind using lethal force and Batman will not allow that in his city. The entire Under the Red Hood arc is all about how Batman wouldn't kill the Joker. It's stated outright multiple times in Batman comics that if Batman were to ever kill someone, Gordon would immediately take charge of the task force to hunt Batman down. There's probably well over a dozen panels where Batman rolls up on someone with a gun and gets right in their face and says "I don't like guns" before loving them up. The supremely badass moment in Batman/Superman comics where Batman dons a sword and starts loving up Doomsday clones that aren't technically alive would make no sense if Batman was already lethal.

I could go on and on really.

Also Bale's Batman is weird. It's fine on the very first viewing of whatever movie, but upon a second viewing you start to notice how garbage he is. For one, that voice sucks but oddly enough it didnt really bother me until someone pointed it out to me. Also it became impossible for me to take anything he says seriously once I noticed that he loving almost never closes his mouth. Poke some loving airholes in the nose, dumbass.

If there are so many of those stories why do you want yet another one?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If you read comic books at all, the premise of a different take on a well known character is built right into the concept of superheroes.

Batman has three defining traits in the comics and has for decades: 1) Wear Bat stuff 2) Best martial artist in the entire world 3) No killing. So yeah it is weird when suddenly they deviate for no obvious reason. It's not like Batman killing people in BvS added anything to the movie. In fact since nobody ever mentions the fact that he's doing it just says to me that Zack Snyder never read a comic book in his life. As if he didn't realize the no killing was even a thing. Like for instance I thought the conflict of MoS was about how he had to kill Zod. In the comics, it would have all been about Superman's turmoil at being forced to kill. It would be a huge deal. Then when BvS came out it turns out nobody gave a gently caress about him killing Zod. I know I've talked about how one of Batman's traits is no killing but Superman takes it to another level. He really really really doesn't want to kill anything, ever, for any reason, and will go to excruciating lengths to make sure he does not take life.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is a silly question. Apply it to any other characters. "Do you really want to see the turtles take on Shredder AGAIN?"

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 17, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I thought he was the World's Greatest Detective too?

It's almost like different people have different opinions on what defines "Their Batman"

e: and BvS Batman is hardly different than the other movie Batmans when it comes to no killing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Batman has three defining traits in the comics and has for decades: 1) Wear Bat stuff 2) Best martial artist in the entire world 3) No killing. So yeah it is weird when suddenly they deviate for no obvious reason. It's not like Batman killing people in BvS added anything to the movie. In fact since nobody ever mentions the fact that he's doing it just says to me that Zack Snyder never read a comic book in his life.

It isn't sudden. Every live action Batman movie but maybe 3 of them have had Batman kill.

It also doesn't go unmentioned. A big part of Batman's storyline is that he's escalated.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHXMTlIJwM&t=19s

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MacheteZombie posted:

I thought he was the World's Greatest Detective too?

It's almost like different people have different opinions on what defines "Their Batman"

e: and BvS Batman is hardly different than the other movie Batmans when it comes to no killing.

I wasn't describing "my batman" I was describing the Batman presented to us from over 20 years of comic book/animated media. Sorry I forgot to mention the detective thing, but that would be a silly reason to discount my entire argument.

LesterGroans posted:

It isn't sudden. Every live action Batman movie but maybe 3 of them have had Batman kill.

And it was stupid in each and every one of those movies.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

This is a silly question. Apply it to any other characters. "Do you really want to see the turtles take on Shredder AGAIN?"

If I want to see that I have a ton of media to choose from. The first movie is probably the best version we're gonna get. I'd rather see unique takes on the characters than the same poo poo over and over and over.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

I wasn't describing "my batman" I was describing the Batman presented to us from over 20 years of comic book/animated media. Sorry I forgot to mention the detective thing, but that would be a silly reason to discount my entire argument.

And it was stupid in each and every one of those movies.

Why is it stupid there and not stupid to have an arbitrary no killing rule in some(not all) of the comics? If people actually cared about it why are only weirdo comic book elitists the only ones upset about it?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Why is it stupid there and not stupid to have an arbitrary no killing rule in some(not all) of the comics? If people actually cared about it why are only weirdo comic book elitists the only ones upset about it?

The no killing rule is not arbitrary. It's explicitly stated that if the Justice League were to start killing people, the law would have to take them down. Evidently though you're OK with super-powered gods playing judge jury and executioner. The irony of BvS to me is that if Superman had killed as many people as Batman did, Batman would have been right about Superman and justified in taking him down. Only if Superman doesn't kill does it make any sense at all for Batman to be OK with him.

edit: vv

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The better question is why people like such a cowardly, self-serving fantasy so much, but that's something you could have an actual substantive argument about rather than just asking "why is taste?"

Did you just come into the comic book movie thread to insult everyone that likes superhero stories?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 17, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Maybe he likes them.

The better question is why people like such a cowardly, self-serving fantasy so much, but that's something you could have an actual substantive argument about rather than just asking "why is taste?"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Batman doesn't kill people, he just doesn't save them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Did you just come into the comic book movie thread to insult everyone that likes superhero stories?

Don't equate your preference for childish violent fantasy with all superhero stories, please.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I got to hear yesterday over discord chat playing games how Zack Snyder loves Ayn Rand and he doesnt get it and blah blah blah. I guess it's ingrained into these peoples skulls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Batman doesn't kill people, he just doesn't save them.

People rag on this but I actually think it's kind of elegant. Note that in Batman Begins, Bruce never says "I will not kill," he says "I will not be an executioner." That's actually a pretty important distinction.

• Locked thread