Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Batman has three defining traits in the comics and has for decades: 1) Wear Bat stuff 2) Best martial artist in the entire world 3) No killing. So yeah it is weird when suddenly they deviate for no obvious reason. It's not like Batman killing people in BvS added anything to the movie. In fact since nobody ever mentions the fact that he's doing it just says to me that Zack Snyder never read a comic book in his life. As if he didn't realize the no killing was even a thing.

What in tarnation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Violator posted:

Can you give some examples?

This is probably his most famous speech impediment, but it didn't actually obstruct filming for more than a few minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Electromax posted:

This is probably his most famous speech impediment, but it didn't actually obstruct filming for more than a few minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0auwpvAU2YA

I knew what this was the moment I saw it. Still brings a smile to my face every time I hear it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Can you give some examples?

When he's got Joker hanging upside down and they're debating human nature its noticeable in one or two lines.

Its possible its only an issue when he's not in his natural accent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mortanis posted:

Are people arguing that Batman doesn't have a no kill rule, or that it shouldn't matter in a new interpretation?

I was originally arguing that Batman has totally killed people a ton the past few decades, they just append it with "No one was harmed in the making of this vigilante fight".

Like in terms of imagery, imagine if you had a really bright environment with warm colors and all anyone's saying is "gee this is a cold winter's day". It wouldn't fit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

At the end of the comic, Superman performs his no-killing rule for dozens of magic cameras, literalizing the child-gaze. All humans become children.

It's even worse than that. Superman complains that Manchester Black and his goons are "killing people and laughing". Apparently this Superman stands for "pretending to kill people and smiling". Fuckin' Christ that Superman sucks.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Has this been posted?

quote:

Jared Leto: Actor Reportedly Says He Feels He Was Tricked Into Doing 'Suicide Squad' Movie
Leto, who played the Joker, said at an event he thought it would be a more artistic production and has not seen the theatrical release, according to a fan who summarized the conversation on Tumblr.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/jared-leto-reportedly-feels-he-was-tricked-into-184403204.html

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Alexander Hamilton posted:

What in tarnation

At best he reads the back of the TPB and a wiki summary.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Even if he did, so what.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
That's weird, because I feel like the first trailer for Suicide Squad tricked gave me just enough hope to successfully trick me into paying to see it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, and all those panels that he specifically puts into his movies, of course. But only those!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

If u follow that article the source for that is a currently deleted tumblr fansite summary of a Q & A

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

You're joking

Please be joking

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well, and all those panels that he specifically puts into his movies, of course. But only those!

Maybe he flips through the books when he's on the john but he's not reading any of it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SolidSnakesBandana, I see big things in your future as an io9 freelancer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Zack Snyder will NOT be welcome on my CS 1.6 server

Violator
May 15, 2003

Hat Thoughts posted:

If u follow that article the source for that is a currently deleted tumblr fansite summary of a Q & A

Ah. It matched his previous interviews where he said his performance was slashed and he'd have to die for his real artistry to be seen so I thought it was legit.

I haven't seen it yet and I think I'll like it even with the bad reviews, but the turmoil around it is fascinating.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

I am positive he has read a gently caress load of comics and understands these characters better than you or me, or a lot of other people here.

You're essentially falling into the camp of idiots who go, "STUPID JOCK BOY!!"

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

I am positive he has read a gently caress load of comics and understands these characters better than you or me, or a lot of other people here.

I'm not, but again, who cares?

Burton didn't read comics but his movies are good. Snyder's suck, but I don't think how many comics he does or does not read has anything to do with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Burton didn't read comics but his movies are good.

well, I mean, like two or three of them are and the first one you thought of just now only half-counts because it was directed by Henry Selick

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah the whole Manchester Black thing really is one of my least favorite Superman bits. I can kind of see the shape of what they wanted to do with it, but all I come away from it is Superman pretends to murder people to prove a point and EVERYONE believes it so his reputation should be ruined even after the reveal. No one would trust him any more. You don't just recover from the idea of your hero grinning and murdering people just because he says "haha no just kidding it was all a ruse".

The idea that Superman would tarnish the believe people vest in him to prove a point is just so absurd and detestable.

God I hate that comic.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

well, I mean, like two or three of them are and the first one you thought of just now only half-counts because it was directed by Henry Selick

I was talking specifically about his Batman movies, which are both really good. I agree he doesn't have the best batting average outside that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm not, but again, who cares?

Burton didn't read comics but his movies are good. Snyder's suck, but I don't think how many comics he does or does not read has anything to do with it.

He's being criticized for not reading enough and that's why his movies are bad though. So obviously SolidSnakeGoon cares.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was talking specifically about his Batman movies, which are both really good. I agree he doesn't have the best batting average outside that.

oh, okay. that's true

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

He's being criticized for not reading enough and that's why his movies are bad though. So obviously SolidSnakeGoon cares.

And you, apparently.

I just think there's no correlation. Green Lantern had Geoff Johns on board, who I'm pretty sure has read every comic DC has ever published, and that was pretty much the worst movie ever.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's basically the precise opposite of SolidSnakesBandana's position. Zack Snyder has read a bunch of comics, but that's just trivia and has relatively little to do with why his comic book movies are so good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a nice defense against people who try to drag him down though because of it. The most perfect use of, Actually...

Take issue with his style and stuff but he's not some rando.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

That new Adam West Batman animated thing could go very, very wrong if they don't treat the show with respect. The show was pretty drat intelligent and just making something that apes it will be horrible.

Also it's very sad that those three are pretty much all that's left of the Adam West era. I would have loved to have Kitt and Newmar randomly switching places as Catwoman while no one bats an eye.

Did you read the Batman '66 comics? They captured the show perfectly without being an outright parody.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

This reminds me of that "You can listen to Bob Marley but you can't hear him" discussion from White Men Can't Jump. Apparently it is a hill worth to die on that even if Snyder read comics, he doesn't read-read them!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was talking specifically about his Batman movies, which are both really good.

Michelle Pfeiffer. :allears:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I said this in BSS when someone was like "oh you just don't like Snyder's Superman because he's not the Superman you grew up with," but actually it's the opposite. I don't like Zack Snyder's Superman because it is the Superman I grew up with, but I grew up in the early '90s, and man those Superman comics were loving dire. Like I reread The Death of Superman in advance of seeing BvS and woof.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

10 Beers posted:

Sean Young :(

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Mortanis posted:

"haha no just kidding it was all a ruse".

Honestly it comes across as something that an Evil Superman would do in some kind of What If, or an Evil Superman Analogue would do in like one of the countless evil superhero miniseries that Warren Ellis did. The idea of a global broadcast to instill your warm, cordial threats of implicit omnipotent violence is exactly the kind of ham-handed but arresting image that those stories live for

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I mean, imagine if the fate of the world was controlled by someone with the moral and cultural values of someone who grew up in rural Kansas.

Especially rural Kansas in, like, your choice of either 1938 or the late eighties.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I mean, imagine if the fate of the world was controlled by someone with the moral and cultural values of someone who grew up in rural Kansas.

Especially rural Kansas in, like, your choice of either 1938 or the late eighties.

You mean like Langston Hughes?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You mean like Langston Hughes?

I didn't say I wouldn't ultimately be okay with it, just that it'd be kind of scary. I like all of my own opinions and I'd still be nervous if an exact ideological clone of me were turned into God overnight.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I didn't say I wouldn't ultimately be okay with it, just that it'd be kind of scary. I like all of my own opinions and I'd still be nervous if an exact ideological clone of me were turned into God overnight.

I mean the fate of the world is already controlled by power-hungry narcissists with entire armies at their disposal so I feel like that's, y'know, more scary.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean the fate of the world is already controlled by power-hungry narcissists with entire armies at their disposal so I feel like that's, y'know, more scary.

Sure, that's why Superman is a fantasy character and not a horror story. It's just a pretty thin line sometimes.

e: There's also a kind of aspect where most of the power-hungry narcissists who control the world are really more part of a self-regulating and not completely conscious system, which is pushed around by various forces, some of which are even democratic. Superman, conversely, is one guy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 18, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yoshifan823 posted:

I also don't buy that a New Gods movie is gonna be a thing

There's already Motherboxes, Parademons and Darkseid. The hard part of setting it up is already over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

10 Beers posted:

The best performance in a superhero movie.

• Locked thread