Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

A MIRACLE posted:

Tokyo Drift is up on Netflix. Still the best of the series

...how can you feel this way when god king Diesel is not in this (except for a 1 minute cameo at the end)? But for real though, how can you not think that the over the top action decadence of the last couple is better than Tokyo Drift?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

...how can you feel this way when god king Diesel is not in this (except for a 1 minute cameo at the end)? But for real though, how can you not think that the over the top action decadence of the last couple is better than Tokyo Drift?!

Yeah, Tokyo Drift is fun, but the past few have been fuckin nuts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The new triumph election special on Hulu is amazing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Get Down was released on Netflix a couple days ago.

It's pretty cool so far, I'd recommend it.

Starts off in the crime/gang ridden New York (Bronx specifically) in the magical time when Disco was about to die and Hip-Hop was about to explode.

It's not exactly based on a true story: although it includes fictional depictions of real people: it's more of a fantasy and I think the best way to describe it so far is like a Hip-Hop Moulin Rouge. Fitting, as when I finally read up on it after watching the first 3 episodes: it's done by the same guy.

Here's a link to the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usv442G6H8A

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I watched My Friend Rockefeller on Netflix. I am a big geek about the Clark Rockefeller story so I felt like it was missing a lot of important stuff, but it was mostly a series of interviews with people whom he had befriended throughout his "career." There's also footage of him being interviewed/deposed in court, which was kind of interesting.

It's worth watching, but as an accompaniment to a really good book like The Man in the Rockefeller Suit.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

Sarchasm posted:

Tokyo Drift was the best of Fast and the Furious before Fast and the Furious became a different a movie. :colbert:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Tokyo drifter is 100 times better and weirder watch that instead.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The_Rob posted:

Dino Drift is 100 times better and weirder watch that instead.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Sarchasm posted:

I dunno, Tokyo Drift is completely bonkers, imho. I mean look at the story.. A dumb country boy lives with his mom and races a lot, gets into trouble involving car crashes, destroyed buildings, and multiple state lines, so the cops decide to send him to another country. He moves to Japan where on his very first day he is inntroduced to both the world of underground racing, as well as japanese organized crime.. He befriends the only black person and only chinese person in Tokyo, destroys a couple hundred grand worth of cars trying to race, then gets into trouble with the yakuza so he gets his dad's old Mustang car, puts a Nissan engine into it, and proceeds to beat the pants off the city's best racer on the most dangerous drift course in the world. Also he never actually has a job, people just keep giving him cars and money because they seem to just really dig his utter lack of regard for property.

Also there was that really weird scene where he's drifting with the chick Neela, and they come around a turn and are going way too fast and there's this huuuge crowd of people in the way and the girl's eyes get huge and there's this look on her face like, "oh poo poo, maybe racing isn't as cool and fun as it's cracked up to be, maybe it's super dangerous and stupid and we're about to kill a dozen or more peopl-" and then the crowd just magically parts and they drift through and nobody ever thinks about it again

fuckin' nuts, man

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Also if anybody knows where to watch this online I'd be grateful, I think I can't afford to miss it.

From some of the teaser stuff I've seen, that kid is even homelier on-screen

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Those horses look awfully embarrassed to be in that movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'd be a little surprised if they actually booked real horses for the movie

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
They seemed to emphasize the chariots a lot in the media I saw, and really unflattering haircuts.

I love that people are making movies like this nowadays - where you make a spinoff of a soon-to-be-released movie and/or mix up a couple of movies' titles so some poor idiot will grab it thinking it's something entirely different. It reminds me of those knockoff gameboys and knockoff games poo poo they used to sell in the 90s, that were notorious for grandmothers buying as presents because they couldn't tell the difference.

I hope that one day I will be in a conversation with someone and mention a movie title, and they'll be like, oh yeah, I remember "In the Name Of, wasn't that the one with all the chariots and the kid with the bow and arrows?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 15, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Could you imagine being in the crew of a movie that exists only to fool people into thinking they are renting a different movie? Amazing. They must film them in like a day too with the frequency that they pump them out.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

Could you imagine being in the crew of a movie that exists only to fool people into thinking they are renting a different movie? Amazing. They must film them in like a day too with the frequency that they pump them out.
I would watch a documentary on that, I wonder if one exists already

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just watch Electric Boogaloo instead

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The company that makes Transmorphers and other things like that has never lost money on a movie iirc.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, Asylum seems really loving smug about making money on no-effort cash-in trash from an interview I heard.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I didn't watch Narcos when it premiered but I checked it out this week and I think it's a pretty good series. My one beef with it is that I think the actor who plays the primary protagonist isn't nearly as good an actor as the rest of the cast. I'm looking forward to the second season, and I hope they continue to reference Escobar's zoo because it's pretty hilarious that the hippos escaped after the zoo was abandoned and have established themselves in Columbia. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-27905743

After that I checked out Narco Cultura and it depressed the gently caress out of me. I remember the panic surrounding gangsta rap in the 90's but everyone knew 99% of that was bullshit and those dudes were just entertainers looking to make a book. On the other hand, with Corridos you know that stuff is real and I bet any poseurs would be handled by the cartels' sicarios on principle. The narco graveyard was really amazing, I think it would be a good setting for an action movie but you'd have to be crazy to film a movie in Sinaloa central.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm Not There is on Prime. If you like Bob Dylan or if you dislike Bob Dylan it's probably worth a watch for the performances, and personally I think it's a really good film. It's similar in many ways to Inside Llewyn Davis though it was made first and isn't quite as good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I'm Not There is on Prime. If you like Bob Dylan or if you dislike Bob Dylan it's probably worth a watch for the performances, and personally I think it's a really good film. It's similar in many ways to Inside Llewyn Davis though it was made first and isn't quite as good.

It's very good, but everyone should watch it for Blanchett's performance as rock-era Dylan, especially when sharing the screen with David Cross's Allen Ginsberg. That's some good stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Franchescanado posted:

It's very good, but everyone should watch it for Blanchett's performance as rock-era Dylan, especially when sharing the screen with David Cross's Allen Ginsberg. That's some good stuff.

I'm an enormous Dylan fan and had watched basically every piece of media he was in during this period when the movie first came out, and she absolutely nailed every mannerism. Ben Wishaw does really well, also. And having his baby-faced early folk era - where he'd basically bullshitted a bunch of folksy backstory to record label heads - be played by a young black kid calling himself Woody Guthrie was some inspired casting. The soundtrack is drat good, too.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 16, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Franchescanado posted:

Oh no poo poo, Cate Blanchett deserved All The Awards for that performance. She nailed "rear end in a top hat Dylan".

"Just like a woman!" indeed.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh drat, I'm definitely going to watch I'm Not There. I'm completely, totally, 10000% in love with Cate Blanchett and I especially like it when she plays notable figures.... Hepburn, Queen Elizabeth, etc so I'm sure I'll love her take on Dylan.

alted2
May 3, 2003

Stumpus posted:

Why is No country for old men not available for me to watch again for the fourth or fifth time?

It's at least on Prime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

No country is on Netflix though :confused:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It got added to Netflix like two days ago

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

david_a posted:

Yeah, Asylum seems really loving smug about making money on no-effort cash-in trash from an interview I heard.

Back when Zodiac came out, I told my friend about it. A few days later he texted me 'This movie blows. I've been watching half an hour and Gyllenhaal hasn't even shown up'. Turns out he'd been watching an Asylum (or other mockbuster company) movie called The Zodiac or Zodiac Killer or something.

On HBO Go I stumbled across a Spanish language film called Kamikaze. It was billed as action, but it's really more of a dark comedy. About a suicide bomber. He's all ready to stick it to the Russians by blowing up a plane headed for Madrid, but the flight is cancelled before takeoff due to snow, and all the passengers are diverted to a hotel for a few days. The film is kinda all-over the place and falls flat thematically at times, like it's not sure if it wants to be a comedy, a drama, a thriller, a social commentary, but for what it was, I liked it.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

On HBO Go I stumbled across a Spanish language film called Kamikaze. It was billed as action, but it's really more of a dark comedy. About a suicide bomber. He's all ready to stick it to the Russians by blowing up a plane headed for Madrid, but the flight is cancelled before takeoff due to snow, and all the passengers are diverted to a hotel for a few days. The film is kinda all-over the place and falls flat thematically at times, like it's not sure if it wants to be a comedy, a drama, a thriller, a social commentary, but for what it was, I liked it.

That's a great logline, "A suicide bomber is forced to spend a weekend with his intended victims when the plane he was going to blow up is grounded due to weather...hilarity ensures." Too bad they bungled the execution.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cocoa Ninja posted:

That's a great logline, "A suicide bomber is forced to spend a weekend with his intended victims when the plane he was going to blow up is grounded due to weather...hilarity ensures." Too bad they bungled the execution.

Yeah, like I said, the movie couldn't make up it's mind what *exactly* it wanted to be or what tone it wanted to set. Though if nothing else, I thought the part where the bomber goes up to sing karaoke is worth any slogging/'meh' parts of the movie.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
If you want to see that concept done well keep an eye out for Day Night Day Night. Doesn't look like it's streaming at the moment but it has been on Netflix in the past.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tainen posted:

If you want to see that concept done well keep an eye out for Day Night Day Night. Doesn't look like it's streaming at the moment but it has been on Netflix in the past.

Great movie.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
What do you all think of These Final Hours?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Shaka Zulu is very good. Robert Powell has a minor-ish role as a doctor in the British colony during Shaka's time and he narrates, but the majority of the miniseries is focused on Shaka Zulu - the legends surrounding him, his upbringing, and his rise to power.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Finished the NSU: German History X series last night, I can't remember the last time I was so outraged by the end of a movie or series like that. Really, really worth watching.

When the lady terrorist turned herself in near the end for identification and then refused to talk, is it because she knew she'd be protected by the national security guys? I had the feeling that she was offered a deal by the feds because they were trying to put the whole matter to bed.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Aug 18, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm basically bedridden and watching Netflix (or youtube or whatever I guess?) for the next 2 weeks on my phone. So far I've watched

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

I kinda like how in those the story just kind of..ends. Like hey here's what happened between this time and that time, now the movie is over and life goes on. Any suggestions to keep me sane? Basically any good crime and or violent movies.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm basically bedridden and watching Netflix (or youtube or whatever I guess?) for the next 2 weeks on my phone. So far I've watched

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

I kinda like how in those the story just kind of..ends. Like hey here's what happened between this time and that time, now the movie is over and life goes on. Any suggestions to keep me sane? Basically any good crime and or violent movies.

Instant Watcher says Scorsese's Cape Fear is on Netflix. Watch that immediately.

Oldboy if you haven't seen it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
EDIT:^^^^Both of these too.

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

I kinda like how in those the story just kind of..ends. Like hey here's what happened between this time and that
time, now the movie is over and life goes on. Any suggestions to keep me sane? Basically any good crime and or violent movies.

Looking at what's currently on Netflix:

Cold in July
Valhalla Rising (some find this tough)

These are outside your parameters but might be worth checking out:
The Perfect Host
They Look Like People
The Guest
Creep (was kinda 'meh' for me but some people dig it. Found footage stuff)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Not a movie, but the show Narcos is excellent and sounds like it would be right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

Check out The New World, it is both a crime movie and a violent movie. It's excellent, the only caveat is that it's a subbed Korean movie and if you don't like subs you might want to pass.