Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
The lesson there is "don't be retarded", not "motorcycles are dangerous". That idiot would have found his own death with a 2" puddle of water and a string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

mulligan posted:

PS. he was wearing full gear, nothing helped.

Ya can't help stupid.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
It would be awesome if they came out with a piece of gear that would prevent squidiotry, but then again, being squids, none of them would wear it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

It would be awesome if they came out with a piece of gear that would prevent squidiotry, but then again, being squids, none of them would wear it.

It's called a car.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
a straitjacket?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
A wheelchair.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
A guardrail.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Mailbox.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

:golfclap:

So I'm working on a muffler and it calls for 'High Temperature Silicone'. Is something like the below going to be okay? It's for sealing the muffler after installing a silencer. Specifically, it's installing a Quiet Core into an FMF Titanium 4.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PER0/81160.oap?ck=Search_high+temp+silicone_-1_1976&keyword=high+temp+silicone

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah. I used black RTV to seal my YZ450F exhaust back up.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah. I used black RTV to seal my YZ450F exhaust back up.

Perfect. I should be able to pick up some black stuff from the local store. Thanks!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'm at about 4000mi now and the oil in my FZ's sightglass is looking kinda gross. It's not all the way black but it's definitely not a golden clear like when I got it. The first oil change was at 600 miles and the service manual says I don't have to change it again until 6000. Should I change it anyway or just leave it?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Nah oil turns black pretty quick. It's designed to catch combustion garbage and hold it in suspension, so by turning black it's doing its job.

Change it at the interval unless you think your riding style is particularly hard.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

clutchpuck posted:

Nah oil turns black pretty quick. It's designed to catch combustion garbage and hold it in suspension, so by turning black it's doing its job.

Change it at the interval unless you think your riding style is particularly hard.

It's not. Thanks.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

How bad is dirt on a chain? I did about 22 miles if dirt road and then it was 101 miles home, and then going to work and back the next two days before I cleaned it. Is it fine to ignore or should I take a rag and some lube next time I ride some dirt?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Schroeder91 posted:

How bad is dirt on a chain? I did about 22 miles if dirt road and then it was 101 miles home, and then going to work and back the next two days before I cleaned it. Is it fine to ignore or should I take a rag and some lube next time I ride some dirt?

poo poo, you hosed up bad. Dirt is like the worst thing you can get on a chain, you shouldn't ever go off road.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Schroeder91 posted:

im surprised it didn't immediately fly off and strangle you, your dog and empty your 401k for a praying mantis farm

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Last time I heard of someone getting dirt on their chain, they were never seen again.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Okay:v:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just clean it and relube it, it's fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Technically it is better to get it off sooner rather than later, because if you leave it there and ride around a bunch, the sand and grit will get into the links and wear the chain out a little faster.

It's not a big deal though.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I frequently do 400mile weekend runs with 50% + on dirt. The big difference is the chain lube used. I tried lots of different types before settling on Maxima Chain wax, I think someone here recommended it.

Some lubes absorb all the dust, caking the chain with crud, other does not handle any water so rain + dirt from the wet gravel road gets you mud all over an unlubed chain.

The chain wax stays on, lubes good and does not absorb a lot of dirt. For travel sized cans to reapply some lube on a longer trip the crc chain lube is okay, it absorbs a little dirt, but not as much as some + is rain resistant.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There is a school of thought that says if you're doing a lot of offroad riding and have an o-ring chain that you're better off not having any lube at all. Any lube is going to attract more dirt than no lube, so it's logically consistent at least, but I've no idea if the increased wear of running without lube offsets the increased wear of dirt getting sucked into places it shouldn't be by the lube.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I don't bother offroad. just onroad stuff. I use a chain wax too.. steel sprockets, steel X-ring chain. *shrug*.

although the countershaft does a fine job of keeping everything wet anyway.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
i was reading proficient motorcycling (revised) and it says to brake (front) in turns. i get the logic, it makes sense as far as physics go but im having trouble doing it without upsetting the throttle. i can source the entire paragraph if someone needs.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Why are you braking in turns at all? Don't do that.

e/ vv are we not talking road riding? Way I was taught, if you're trying to slow down mid corner you already hosed up.

If it's a track thing then w/e, ignore me.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 20, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Renaissance Robot posted:

Why are you braking in turns at all? Don't do that.

wat.

edit: Either way, he's doing it wrong.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 20, 2016

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
i dunno it just says to do it, I'll source the chapter and page when i get home. it's not for slowing though

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The point of trail braking is two-fold -- first to control speed to the apex, second is to compress the forks and decrease rake and trail, this allows tighter turning.
You can overlap the throttle and front brake but that's really advanced, not something to start learning as a baseline, and probably one of those things that is not common among 99.99% of riders. The over-arching thing there is that you always want to be on the gas or the brake, no coasting. If you're coasting the suspension is not being controlled. Blending the two adds smoothness to the transition.

This is not a street thing. If you're braking into the corners on the street you are going too fast, this is just my opinion.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 20, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

The point of trail braking is two-fold -- first to control speed to the apex, second is to compress the forks and decrease rake and trail, this allows tighter turning.
You can overlap the throttle and front brake but that's really advanced, not something to start learning as a baseline, and probably one of those things that is not common among 99.99% of riders. The over-arching thing there is that you always want to be on the gas or the brake, no coasting. If you're coasting the suspension is not being controlled. Blending the two adds smoothness to the transition.

This is not a street thing. If you're braking into the corners on the street you are going too fast, this is just my opinion.

Or you're riding a CBR125 where the front contiGO! gets terrifyingly nervous on corner entry unless you're weighting the forks with the brake for some reason.

Stupid bikes made for midgets :(

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
any big issues with the 2009 GSXR 750 ? gonna check one out for my brother I don't have a ton of experience with riding i4s so I'm probably just going to wring it out through the gears and revs and make sure it rides normally

i'm not 100% sold on it since the guy may or may not have service records but he does have receipts for the dyno tuning after a full M4 exhaust and power commander install

plus its only got 7000 miles

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Regulator/rectifier, as always. Solid bike, comfortable (okay, most comfortable supersport) too. Expect 1st to be power wheelies, same with 2nd if it's regeared.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pretty much every gsxr is really solid. The main problem points will stem from abuse rather than design flaws.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Riding 2 up, bike has a grab bar. Where should pillion's hands go? Both on the grab bar? One on bar and one bracing against tank? Both of us are short chicks and I'm pretty far forward in the seat/over the tank if it matters.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wherever the passenger wants them, generally. However, if you'll be riding spiritedly, the passenger putting their hands on the tank is more conducive to them not getting tossed around.

This is mainly from the standpoint of having a passenger on my bike. Despite having ridden forever now, being a passenger on a bike is terrifying to me, so I never do it outside of emergency situations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Verge posted:

i dunno it just says to do it, I'll source the chapter and page when i get home. it's not for slowing though
Please do because it sounds like you're interpreting something wrong to me.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't remember if it was Total Control or Sport Riding Techniques, but one of them says you should teach yourself to brake while turning for emergency situations.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Riding 2 up, bike has a grab bar. Where should pillion's hands go? Both on the grab bar? One on bar and one bracing against tank? Both of us are short chicks and I'm pretty far forward in the seat/over the tank if it matters.

Imho grab bars are never comfortable or help you brace in any way. Hands go on the tank or in the rider's hips.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Braking in a corner is no problem at all. It changes the geometry of the bike, it makes the bike want to stand up and it deducts from the available cornering grip - all of which is zero problems if you are carrying appropriate speed through the corner. If I get surprised mid corner, rolling off throttle is usually enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yup, it's one of the mandatory elements in the license test in norway. So any driver licence shop worth it's salt has it as one of the elements you first learn after you get basic handling of the bike on-board. We had a nice 200-300ish meter course with that as one of the parts. Other was emergency evasion with counterstearing, decreasing radius turn with proper look-turn, box slow speed training.