Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Rumor is we're going to get dlc news/trailer at gamescom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

After getting the bracing knuckle ring I never had a single issue with durability in vanilla DS2.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I only played DS2 scholar edition on ps4.

And it was a wonderful experience and my favorite soulsborne. I sometimes feel like I should wait until the got with all the nerfs balanced and dlc out to play 3...

BUT. omfg bleed is so op, is a fun community game. Find the easy mode before they patch it out. I wish I could have 2 shoted bosses with hex in DS2.

Both good ways to experience the games.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

DatonKallandor posted:

DS2 was absolutely a lovely port, do you really need a reminder of durability bug that persisted through god knows how many patches, "it's working as it should"s and even the remaster until they finally fixed it in a patch for SotFS? And maybe it doesn't have pointless stats (but then, neither does DS3) but adaptability sure as hell counts as lovely stats.

I mean yeah, years later, after all the DLC and a complete remake DS2 is really good (although they never fixed how godawful the first half of the game looks or miracles being garbage) but you can't really compare it to pre-DLC, no-remaster DS3.

I played when the durability bug was a thing and it wasn't a big deal tbh. But you're right, I can't wait to see what post-patches and post-DLC DS III will look like!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Yeah uh. Pointless stats, broke rear end schools of magic, armor being a dress up game, and lovely ports are pretty much series staples at this point.

Armor being dress-up would be fine if you didn't have to invest in lovely tax stats to dress up your paper doll. Bloodborne did it best - it was upfront with the player that armor is a purely cosmetic choice so it cost nothing to wear and didn't effect your movement speed.

DatonKallandor posted:

And maybe it doesn't have pointless stats (but then, neither does DS3) but adaptability sure as hell counts as lovely stats.

I'd say pointless stats are better than punitive ones like adaptability in 2 or vitality in 3. At least you can safely ignore pointless stats. Tax stats just insist on themselves to play the game properly.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 16, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Deified Data posted:

Armor being dress-up would be fine if you didn't have to invest in lovely tax stats to dress up your paper doll. Bloodborne did it best - it was upfront with the player that armor is a purely cosmetic choice so it cost nothing to wear and didn't effect your movement speed.

I never played Bloodborne (no PS4 here) but I've watched a ton of streams, read stuff and such and this is probably my favourite thing. Considering how badly armor mitigation worked on all three DS games, I loved that with BB they went full fashion souls.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Deified Data posted:

I'd say pointless stats are better than punitive ones like adaptability in 2 or vitality in 3. At least you can safely ignore pointless stats. Tax stats just insist on themselves to play the game properly.

iirc status/arcane/fire defenses actually made a difference on your survivability. Especially frenzy resist.
Physical defense not so much.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rigged Death Trap posted:

iirc status/arcane/fire defenses actually made a difference on your survivability. Especially frenzy resist.
Physical defense not so much.

Yeah I'd slap on the Graveguard set for Nightmare of Mensis but even then you could get by without it. It's a lot more important in later Chalice dungeons where the margin between death and surviving with a sliver of health is so thin.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Yeah swapping around for like 10-30 more defense or to buff a relevant stat can be important for bosses or trouble areas, but when just running around I wear whatever.

If you need Frenzy resist, just spend your insight.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only thing you actually ought to do is switch into any armor other than the starting set, that set is ugly and markedly worse than the others.

And like this game, you do want all slots to be filled or you suffer a defense penalty

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I'd slap on the Graveguard set for Nightmare of Mensis but even then you could get by without it. It's a lot more important in later Chalice dungeons where the margin between death and surviving with a sliver of health is so thin.

who in their right mind would waste their time on Chalice dungeons, the worst content in the entirety of Bloodborne and all of the Souls games

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

RottenK posted:

who in their right mind would waste their time on Chalice dungeons, the worst content in the entirety of Bloodborne and all of the Souls games

Cheeves

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RottenK posted:

They hid a few good bosses in there, but you have to wade through some poo poo to find them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Chalices are actually good and fun and I miss them a lot in DS3.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I didn't mind having to spend stats to make my roll better. *closes game and loads up a guide to see what the gently caress the agility number even means*

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

skasion posted:

Chalices are actually good and fun and I miss them a lot in DS3.

I disagree, but if there was a way to fight the bosses without doing them it'd be possible- in fact, easy- to ignore them entirely, and I'd have no reason to care.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 17, 2016

Octo1
May 7, 2009
High level chalice dungeons were my favorite part of Bloodborne, but unlocking them was my least favorite.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Octo1 posted:

High level chalice dungeons were my favorite part of Bloodborne, but unlocking them was my least favorite.

This is the truth, once you got to the random depth 5s they were super fun but the journey there was awful

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RottenK posted:

Prior to the DLC the best bosses were in the chalice dungeons.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The bosses aren't even my favorite part of chalices, there are some good ones in there but also some dreadful garbage like Loran Darkbeast, Pthumerian Descendant, Bloodletting Bitch and some :effort: like Brainsucker, Boar, etc. I like the dungeons themselves. The rooms are quite repetitive, but there's just enough tricks they play with spawns and traps that you can keep getting surprised. It reminds me of King's Field. Yeah it's lazy design, but it's a god drat dungeon and that means I will crawl in that sucker. I think the chalices were about an ambient soundtrack away from being something seriously unique and good, and with about twice as many rooms/a bit more imagination to how the basic layout of a dungeon works/any kind of ongoing support after launch they could have been great. Instead they didn't commit to it and basically nobody liked them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just started a co-op run with two friends and man it adds a fun new dimension to the game. We have to clear each area three times but it doesn't matter, it's a blast. Ember management early on can be an issue especially if you're doing it the way you should be and trying out gimmick builds and PvP brawling when necessary but it adds a layer of fun that you can't get from single player. It's like a super refined Spelunky almost.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

weekly font posted:

I just started a co-op run with two friends and man it adds a fun new dimension to the game. We have to clear each area three times but it doesn't matter, it's a blast. Ember management early on can be an issue especially if you're doing it the way you should be and trying out gimmick builds and PvP brawling when necessary but it adds a layer of fun that you can't get from single player. It's like a super refined Spelunky almost.

PvP is far more fun when one of your phantoms host up with the ring that turns them into the embered one and the actual host white phantoms. As a cooping phantom pretending to be a host it is always hilarious when that invading red kills you, taunts and gets back stabbed for his thinking he got the real host. Always pay attention to those names invaders.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Feonir posted:

PvP is far more fun when one of your phantoms host up with the ring that turns them into the embered one and the actual host white phantoms. As a cooping phantom pretending to be a host it is always hilarious when that invading red kills you, taunts and gets back stabbed for his thinking he got the real host. Always pay attention to those names invaders.
I once fought two guys dressed exactly the same called Iron Tarkus (guess the armor). They hosed me up and simultaneously "My Thanks"d. It was in the Catacombs, too. Well loving done.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Am I the only sicko who uses Curved Ultra Greatswords? I never see anyone use them or, really, any mention of them at all. Are they a trash-tier class of weapons for idiots or something?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Am I the only sicko who uses Curved Ultra Greatswords? I never see anyone use them or, really, any mention of them at all. Are they a trash-tier class of weapons for idiots or something?

Exile greatsword is OK.... but most people use fast weapons it seems.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Ever since the last patch I can't get controller support to work in this game with my ps4 controller on PC... I've googled the crap out of it with no success. It makes me sad cuz I really did want to finish this game. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be fixed with the first dlc or something.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Willfrey posted:

Careful, posts like this lead to discussions of the Mechanic Which Must Not Be Named.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Time_pants posted:

I used them on my first playthrough. pretty loving awful for dealing with the endgame bosses, but when I was invading, a lot of people just...didn't know how to deal with them. the exile greatsword had the habit of catching people with the third r1, and the amount of guard-breaks i got was insane. its fun to play unlocked with them and swivel around, attacking people that are behind you

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Willfrey posted:

Even in PvE? I was always under the impression that heavy weapons rocked in PvE and the faster weapons tended to be favored for PvP. Are fast weapons super dominant in PvE in this game also?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Time_pants posted:

Even in PvE? I was always under the impression that heavy weapons rocked in PvE and the faster weapons tended to be favored for PvP. Are fast weapons super dominant in PvE in this game also?

yes. faster weapons are better for everything.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Time_pants posted:

Old Wolf Greatsword has become more popular lately, albeit sometimes as an off-hand that's only there because it gives you two buffs.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

RottenK posted:

I actually found Core Bloodborne kind of boring, the Chalice Dungeons spiced it up nicely.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

TheAnomaly posted:

I actually found Core Bloodborne kind of boring, the Chalice Dungeons spiced it up nicely.

If serious, what did chalices offer that the core game didn't?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

caldrax posted:

Ever since the last patch I can't get controller support to work in this game with my ps4 controller on PC... I've googled the crap out of it with no success. It makes me sad cuz I really did want to finish this game. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll be fixed with the first dlc or something.

What software are you using? Most trouble I have had is with the cable i was using. It requires a PS4 cable otherwise it keept disconnecting if using a wired setup. I thought for the longest time it was the software but it was just not using Sony's special cable.

Also make sure you have the 'hide from other programs' setting on. You may try running the software before even starting steam, I have to do this for Witcher 3.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 18, 2016

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Time_pants posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want to love big fuckoff str weapons, but after trying both the quick weapons are just better all around.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone else occasionally have a fog door show up at the Shrine? Sometimes I have to wait 30'or 45 seconds before it disappears.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah its pretty common. They probably dont load the outside area when you teleport in to save loading times.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Willfrey posted:

What software are you using? Most trouble I have had is with the cable i was using. It requires a PS4 cable otherwise it keept disconnecting if using a wired setup. I thought for the longest time it was the software but it was just not using Sony's special cable.

Also make sure you have the 'hide from other programs' setting on. You may try running the software before even starting steam, I have to do this for Witcher 3.

Thanks, that seemed just weird enough to give a shot, but unfortunately, no dice with the cable thing. It works in big picture and with every other game that requires a controller, so I have to think it's something with the Dark Souls patch (as it worked before the patch, too). I've tried DS4 Tool and DS4 Windows, and that hide from other programs thing (admittedly, I can't get that to work, if I close steam and every single other thing on my computer related to games, it still says "close steam and uplay" type things, Googling that gives a bunch of people stabbing in the dark with no real solutions, also). drat.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Deified Data posted:

If serious, what did chalices offer that the core game didn't?

Good gems. Unique bosses. Whole lotta echoes...more than than the Mergo run.

The base game without DLC is really quite short too. Even with all the optional areas. Even with DLC a complete run leaves me wanting more. So I love the chalice stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Also BEAST CLAWS