Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Goofballs posted:

Which teams rely on the coaches most? Nip, liquid, navi anyway I think. Anyway I guess it buffs the pronaxes of the world
FaZe, Cloud9, I think Fnatic had vuggo calling for them for a little while this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Goofballs posted:

Which teams rely on the coaches most? Nip, liquid, navi anyway I think. Anyway I guess it buffs the pronaxes of the world

surc posted:

Well, it's not a summary of all the details he was saying, but here's the text file he wrote out while talking about it:

The "******" are the ones he thinks are especially hurt by it, the "?" category is he's not sure on their IGL situation.

same page

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

symbolic posted:

FaZe, Cloud9, I think Fnatic had vuggo calling for them for a little while this year.

Speaking of which...

quote:

Effective immediately, Alec "Slemmy" White has stepped down from the Cloud9 CS:GO starting roster. Following our final ELeague Season 1 match against Na'Vi in late July, Alec communicated his wishes to the organization. After thoroughly discussing options, Alec asked to be removed from the starting roster shortly before the two week team break scheduled for early August. Following his decision, we approached a handful of players and organizations to begin looking into finding his replacement. Throughout this scouting process, Alec has echoed the sentiment that he currently has no intention of stepping into a coaching role, and fully intends to continue his career as a player.

We continued to speak with and trial players over the course of the last three weeks, and, as of last night, we have agreed to terms with Team Solomid, facilitating the transfer of Timothy "autimatic" Ta into the Cloud9 CS:GO family. Formerly of compLexity Gaming and Team Solomid, Tim's introduction to the scene dates back to playing casual Counter-Strike: Source in 2009. Only in the spotlight for the last two years, Tim has shown tremendous growth as a player and we're confident he will do the same as a teammate. 

Please join us in welcoming Timothy "autimatic" Ta to the Cloud9 CS:GO roster! His debut with the team is only a short time away as #C9CSGO look to take on Team Liquid in their first ESL Pro League Season 4 matchup today at 5PM PST; Tune in at ESL_CSGO or down below.

He's not even coaching. RIP C9

vvvv I think autimatic is a fantastic player actually and fits really well in the c9 roster. It's just that this was running on the fact that they would still have Slemmy's leadership as a coach, which isn't true anymore. autimatic is a super consistent player in terms of fragging ability and game sense. He can pull all sorts of crazy unorthodox poo poo on the fly in clutches (see his near ninja defuse against SK a little while back). He's just not an IGL...

canoshiz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 18, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I guess he isn't much worse then slemmy?

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Wait Faze have someone calling for them? Aren't they just like a pug group filled with hardcore aim people? Is the coach just like a translator which in their case would I guess be a pretty hardcore responsibility. Also mouz have niko as igl so their situation seems as hosed before as after unless he can 40 bomb every match. I'm not sure about the t3 american teams.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Goofballs posted:

Wait Faze have someone calling for them? Aren't they just like a pug group filled with hardcore aim people? Is the coach just like a translator which in their case would I guess be a pretty hardcore responsibility.
RobbaN has been their coach for some months now and calls for them.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

was there like much of a difference because the last few faze games I watched (I don't catch all their games because I don't care about faze at all) I just thought jesus christ, are they all tilted from the last pug

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Famethrowa posted:

How is it bullshit? American football, for example, has a coach to dictate the general direction of the game, while the Quarterback is able to dictate the moment to moment.

By allowing the coach to dictate the big picture stuff, this allows to the QB to focus on the game, while still allowing some tactical breathing room. I see CS as being similar.

It's because it's not feasible for every other level of play and it's pretty lame to just outsource the entire tactical part of the game to somebody you can literally just pay to do it for you. The majority of players started with a five man lineup with a caller and worked upwards from there. It doesn't make sense that as soon as you hit the big time you should just kick your IGL, pull in another fragger and get your org to pay a salary to some ex-pro.

Most sports that heavily rely on coaches do so from really the earliest levels, even in like kiddie leagues.That's clearly not the case here.

In my view coaches can be motivational, can help analyse games after they are over, organise all the admin work, help prepare for opponents etc. but they should have no role in calling for a team.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeza posted:

It's because it's not feasible for every other level of play and it's pretty lame to just outsource the entire tactical part of the game to somebody you can literally just pay to do it for you. The majority of players started with a five man lineup with a caller and worked upwards from there. It doesn't make sense that as soon as you hit the big time you should just kick your IGL, pull in another fragger and get your org to pay a salary to some ex-pro.

Most sports that heavily rely on coaches do so from really the earliest levels, even in like kiddie leagues.That's clearly not the case here.

In my view coaches can be motivational, can help analyse games after they are over, organise all the admin work, help prepare for opponents etc. but they should have no role in calling for a team.

it's a competitive game that is growing up. maybe in early GO and 1.6 coaches weren't needed, but tactics have changed and become more elaborate. this seems like a regressive move.

edit: the meta seems to be a strong coach for big picture stuff, and a IGL who can frag well and think on his feet.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 18, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Goofballs posted:

was there like much of a difference because the last few faze games I watched (I don't catch all their games because I don't care about faze at all) I just thought jesus christ, are they all tilted from the last pug
They got mildly better, but I think that was more so the addition of kioshima plus Robban than just Robban alone.

We'll make Legend status again someday. :negative:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Famethrowa posted:

it's a competitive game that is growing up. maybe in early GO and 1.6 coaches weren't needed, but tactics have changed and become more elaborate. this seems like a regressive move.

edit: the meta seems to be a strong coach for big picture stuff, and a IGL who can frag well and think on his feet.

It's never been a case of coaches not being advantageous or the game becoming more tactical to require them, its more that the possibility of them existing is just more plausible now with better technology, and crucially, more money. But In a healthy game or sport the bottom tier mirrors the top tier, fundamentally. Coaches who call for the team alters the whole dynamic, and exist only for the highest tier, so that goes against that whole idea.

Coaches are here to stay, I know that, I'm just way more down with the Wimbledon kind of ruleset, i.e. the coaches work with you on your game and prepare you for opponents, but once the game is being played you cannot confer with your coach at all.

Really what it comes down to is when you watch a game, do you want to know that what you're seeing is all to be credited to the players you are watching? Smart team focused players should not be relegated to coach roles or made redundant. If you want to use the whole "roles" thing, it's like you take every IGL out of the game and replace them with a second Entry Fragger instead. The game just becomes less diverse as a result. And regardless, this change has been coming at a time where the classic IGL style has pretty much been crushing the idea of 5 strong players + coach anyway, so it may not change much anyway.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

symbolic posted:

They got mildly better, but I think that was more so the addition of kioshima plus Robban than just Robban alone.

We'll make Legend status again someday. :negative:

faze will be legends again after the january major

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BIG AND BULKY OKAY WE ALL FAIL DIFFERENT GOALS
Tim is good.

Pimp is not so good.
E: New luminosity is also not so good.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pimp is playing like a bunch of players I see in C-

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeza posted:

It's never been a case of coaches not being advantageous or the game becoming more tactical to require them, its more that the possibility of them existing is just more plausible now with better technology, and crucially, more money. But In a healthy game or sport the bottom tier mirrors the top tier, fundamentally. Coaches who call for the team alters the whole dynamic, and exist only for the highest tier, so that goes against that whole idea.

Coaches are here to stay, I know that, I'm just way more down with the Wimbledon kind of ruleset, i.e. the coaches work with you on your game and prepare you for opponents, but once the game is being played you cannot confer with your coach at all.

Really what it comes down to is when you watch a game, do you want to know that what you're seeing is all to be credited to the players you are watching? Smart team focused players should not be relegated to coach roles or made redundant. If you want to use the whole "roles" thing, it's like you take every IGL out of the game and replace them with a second Entry Fragger instead. The game just becomes less diverse as a result. And regardless, this change has been coming at a time where the classic IGL style has pretty much been crushing the idea of 5 strong players + coach anyway, so it may not change much anyway.

I think we might be slightly agreeing, or at least close to it. I don't want a coach calling actively, I want a coach who can focus on buys, and on tweaking strategies. This seems to be SKs model and it works well.

I don't disagree that coaches should not be calling mid round. I think they should be required to be silent during a round.

I do not like, however, that Valve's rule allows them to only talk to their team 4 times per game. It's completely arbitrary, and the fact that it requires a timeout, slows the pace of game.

As for the small league teams, I know through talking to LAN players that more and more they have someone acting as coach. Anecdotal, but I can see it trickling down because it makes sense.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://clips.twitch.tv/esl_csgo/BloodyArmadilloOpieOP

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I think stewie popflashed for ska and blinded every liquid player

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

It didn't look like any of them were blinded...

Whatever, we summer 2015 now bois

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
C9 looked so good i was actually angry watching the game. Partly because i'm a liquid fanboy and partly because i wanted c9 to be like this last season.

I was about to talk poo poo about ska being bad until that 4k at long. C9 are back boys

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
I feel like if we were going to end up with this rule anyway maybe someone should have said something when a top team first went to an external coach. You know, 18 months ago?

:rip: navi

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Stumbletron posted:

I feel like if we were going to end up with this rule anyway maybe someone should have said something when a top team first went to an external coach. You know, 18 months ago?

:rip: navi

There have been rumblings about Valve not really liking the 6th man role for a while now, so while I think they didn't go about implementing it the right way, it's hard to say that it came completely out of nowhere.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Navi just managed to kick their ex-IGL as well lol

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

canoshiz posted:

There have been rumblings about Valve not really liking the 6th man role for a while now, so while I think they didn't go about implementing it the right way, it's hard to say that it came completely out of nowhere.

I agree with this. They should have phased them out smoother so teams could get their affairs in order. Like the next major is December or January I think, they could have said after the next major this is how it is.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
You think 5 months heads up isn't enough time?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Audax posted:

You think 5 months heads up isn't enough time?

in an industry with year long contracts? no, another reason why there needs to be a player union and a real off season.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

According to an online search of his name, Thae's son was an avid gamer, and had accumulated 368 hours regularly playing CounterStrike over the last year, under the name "North Korea is Best Korea".

The account was last active on July 13.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-defector-idUSKCN10S0CY

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
only 368 hours, what a fuckin noob

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone please invite him to play on sub.io

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I suck at this game ever since they hosed up rifles. gently caress me.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 18, 2016

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Whoever does this will be banned. He may not be lent an alt account, either.

are you saying that north korean people aren't real human beans? man i never knew u were such a prejudiced man turk

edit: and who's to say that its not a WOMAN who invites mr. thae on the server? checkmate athetits

Demostrs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 18, 2016

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Demostrs posted:

are you saying that north korean people aren't real human beans? man i never knew u were such a prejudiced man turk

edit: and who's to say that its not a WOMAN who invites mr. thae on the server? checkmate athetits

Oh god... I got my thread tabs hosed up and I thought this was the sub.io thread and you were referring to Mr. Pink.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Oh god... I got my thread tabs hosed up and I thought this was the sub.io thread and you were referring to Mr. Pink.

Holy gently caress, dude.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
good posting all around guys

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ozmiander posted:

good posting all around guys

please use the gender neutral pronoun "gamers" next time friend, but otherwise thank you :>

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Demostrs posted:

someone please invite him to play on sub.io

i think he's on the run from NorK assassins right now, so, unfortunately, he may not be able to access his account.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Demostrs posted:

Holy gently caress, dude.

Considering the lengths people have gone to help pink ban evade and allow him to continually troll sub.io I can understand turk's frustrations

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I suck at this game ever since they hosed up rifles. gently caress me.

Same I'm just not a tapper u know

Phosphene
Aug 11, 2008
More new pistol sounds. Deag sounds hella good. Glock sounds terrifying. P2k sounds hilarious

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phosphene posted:

More new pistol sounds. Deag sounds hella good. Glock sounds terrifying. P2k sounds hilarious
Also, Gamma 2 case. Covert FAMAS, Classified Tec-9 and MP9, and this loving AK:

symbolic fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

symbolic posted:

Also, Gamma 2 case. Covert FAMAS, Classified Tec-9 and MP9, and this loving AK:

links broken, but since i know what it looks like, this is my reaction:

MOMS GONNA FREAK