Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Nucleic Acids posted:

Even if they have (and they have), no one will bother going after them. The media needs a horse race, and this is the perfect chance to make it seem like there is one.

I think they're satisfied with the senate and house drama, and the "Trump Campaign Slow Explosion" drama at this point. The number of talking heads just ripping into Trump surrogates on their bullshit recently has been amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lack of universal child care i suppose could be framed as a human rights problem

If only someone who wasn't LITERALLY REPUBLICAN HITLER INCARNATE was proposing maternity leave/child care solutions.

Oh wait, that's right, Trump/Ivanka have some great ideas on this topic.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I love it.

Also, Onion, put out a book of all your DIamond Joe stuff please.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Aerox posted:

If only someone who wasn't LITERALLY REPUBLICAN HITLER INCARNATE was proposing maternity leave/child care solutions.

Oh wait, that's right, Trump/Ivanka have some great ideas on this topic.

their proposed solution of just having the nannies take care of your kids makes sense to me

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I wouldn't be surprised if this whole FBI notes situation was setup with the intention of creating a counter-story to Republicans who try to drag up the emails.

Hillary was careless with classified information? I guess you could make that argument - oh wait, you can't because you intentionally leaked classified information for political gain.

hopHeadless
Aug 24, 2014

The Rokstar posted:

This is maybe my favorite article of all time regarding the implications of libertarian/ancap policies.

http://redmoonrising.com/libjourney.htm

When you tug at the thread of libertarianism it always ends up unraveling into might makes right. This guy all but admits that the only difference between his ideal world and the one we live in is that in our world, people he personally dislikes are not his slaves.

It's like they never grew out of that persecuted nerd mentality from high school and formed an entire worldview to justify it.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

You'd think Comey would've known better than to give classified info to folks with every incentive to leak it. Seems kinda careless of him. Extremely careless, even.

I think he's just one of those guys who is Old Republican and just has no concept of the modern Party. Like he was last a Republican political figure when he was briefly Acting AG under Bush - maybe that doesn't prepare you for the Raiders of the Tortilla Coast? This is like the second time this has happened to him - he seemed to expect his Hillary press conference to be well-received by the right, but he was immediately attacked as a traitor for not recommending indictment.

Shifty Pony posted:

Only for things read on the floor of the house or senate. They can be arrested for felonies which If I remember right mishandling classified information is.

It would be amazing if the FBI went through the effort to canary trap the documents.

I don't think that's possible from a technical perspective - there are almost certainly multiple leakers (who can probably compare notes), and they only need to leak background or general information (which can't be canary trapped without technically lying to Congress).

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Welp, looks like North Carolina is in trouble again. Just over a year after the 4th Circuit ruled that their voter ID laws "target African Americans with almost surgical precision," we get this:

quote:

The N.C. Republican Party encouraged GOP appointees to county elections boards to “make party line changes to early voting” by limiting the number of hours and keeping polling sites closed on Sundays.

NCGOP executive director Dallas Woodhouse emailed the request to Republican county board members and other party members on Sunday. The News & Observer obtained copies of the emails through a public records request.

“Our Republican Board members should feel empowered to make legal changes to early voting plans, that are supported by Republicans,” Woodhouse wrote in his email to board members. “Republicans can and should make party line changes to early voting.”

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tobermory posted:

Welp, looks like North Carolina is in trouble again. Just over a year after the 4th Circuit ruled that their voter ID laws "target African Americans with almost surgical precision," we get this:

The district courts, backed by the Fourth, are going to slam this poo poo into the ground.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
In my feverdream, President Hillary R Clinton directs the FBI to investigate the leaks of their investigation notes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I wholly support the NCGOP doing this and being as brazen as possible about it so that it causes enough anger for the courts to finally snap and say "you know what, no, gently caress these people" and make some heavy-handed, sweeping rulings against this kind of poo poo. We'll need a 9th on the SCOTUS for it to go nationwide but that's ok, we'll get it with Clinton in the WH.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/764150733742731265

Have these tweets been mentioned in this thread when I wasn't looking, btw? Not exactly incisive political commentary, sure, but a good time IMO.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Tobermory posted:

The supreme court also may issue an injunction because the VRA is outdated and racism doesn't exist anymore.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tobermory posted:

This is just sick, the party of freedom or "mah rights" is doing everything it can to stop minorities from voting, we should be rioting in the streets.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

BigRed0427 posted:

I love it.

Also, Onion, put out a book of all your DIamond Joe stuff please.

THey did, it's called President of Vice.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Boon posted:

In my feverdream, President Hillary R Clinton directs the FBI to investigate the leaks of their investigation notes.

While her justice department interrogates Ken Starr.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/764150733742731265

Have these tweets been mentioned in this thread when I wasn't looking, btw? Not exactly incisive political commentary, sure, but a good time IMO.

I like how his recent ones all have Kif groaning at the end.

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/766017144194686976

1-800-DOCTORB fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 18, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

socialsecurity posted:

This is just sick, the party of freedom or "mah rights" is doing everything it can to stop minorities from voting, we should be rioting in the streets.

Why, what did the streets ever do to you? Just kill them like a rational person and move on with your day.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Quorum posted:

The district courts, backed by the Fourth, are going to slam this poo poo into the ground.

Unfortunately part of the 4th's ruling on the omnibus suppression bill allows county boards to reduce early voting hours. A lot of people were saying this was exactly what was gonna happen after the ruling.

Thankfully most of the larger county boards voted against it, but they're still limiting early voting to just one site.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

karthun posted:

Contraception is a human rights violation to the green republican party.
ftfy

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

iospace posted:

Yeah, Wisconsin is likely to flip. Feingold is very popular and Johnson got in on the 2010 wave.

Wisconsin absolutely will flip. Ron Johnson has accomplished less than nothing in his time as Senator, and as far as the state is concerned Feingold has a Senate job for life. (Unless he runs in 2020.)

Don't be fooled by what happened with Walker: the state Democratic party sent multiple uninspiring candidates at him. Mary Burke is a good person but not cut out for politics. Feingold vs Johnson is an entirely different beast than Walker vs Barrett.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Man With A Plan posted:

Can't be prosecuted for speech made in the course of their official duties. Leaking classified info to journalists privately doesn't count, giving a floor speech that includes this info does.

Ah, gotcha.

They'll still get away with it though

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Brannock posted:

Wisconsin absolutely will flip. Ron Johnson has accomplished less than nothing in his time as Senator, and as far as the state is concerned Feingold has a Senate job for life. (Unless he runs in 2020.)

Don't be fooled by what happened with Walker: the state Democratic party sent multiple uninspiring candidates at him. Mary Burke is a good person but not cut out for politics. Feingold vs Johnson is an entirely different beast than Walker vs Barrett.

Wisconsin is a perfect example of democratic performance being inconsistent between presidential election years and non-presidential election years. During the presidential election years the state consistently goes democratic +10%, so if someone as liberal as Tammy Baldwin could win then Feingold is a shoe-in for victory. A good chunk of those democratic voters unfortunately forget to show up in non-presidential elections though, so we got stuck with Johnson in 2010, and because our governor elections are always in off-years we'll be stuck with Walker forever. Also the legislature will probably stay GOP forever because the state is so effectively gerrymandered and democratic voters are naturally hyper-concentrated in Madison and Milwaukee.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brannock posted:

Indeed. It's why I'm worried that Walker will stay in Madison. We ran into the same problem with Thompson too, and somehow got lucky with Doyle.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Wisconsin is a perfect example of democratic performance being inconsistent between presidential election years and non-presidential election years. During the presidential election years the state consistently goes democratic +10%, so if someone as liberal as Tammy Baldwin could win then Feingold is a shoe-in for victory. A good chunk of those democratic voters unfortunately forget to show up in non-presidential elections though, so we got stuck with Johnson in 2010, and because our governor elections are always in off-years we'll be stuck with Walker forever. Also the legislature will probably stay GOP forever because the state is so effectively gerrymandered and democratic voters are naturally hyper-concentrated in Madison and Milwaukee.

Baldwin somehow got in the same election Walker got reelected for the second time.

On that note, Baldwin is funny. When she ran for US House, the person who took her spot in the WI Legislative branch was Mark Pocan. Guess who took her house seat.

e: I swore Baldwin got elected in 2014, not 2012. My bad.

iospace fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 18, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

late to the party but :captainpop:

"A-all of them."

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The Dems really need to figure out how to effectively mobilize in the midterms (while also not nominating uninspiring candidates). 2014 was so much worse than it could've been since my idiot generation decided to stay home.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Donkwich posted:

The Dems really need to figure out how to effectively mobilize in the midterms (while also not nominating uninspiring candidates). 2014 was so much worse than it could've been since my idiot generation decided to stay home.

While this is 100% true, is America ready for the public realizing the midterms actually matter and giving itself election fatigue 24/7 without the blessed year or two where politicians shut the gently caress up.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Donkwich posted:

I sorta wish someone at the DNC was as evil as Karl Rove/the top republican "strategy guys". I just listened to a podcast that was talking about the Republican plan after getting blown the gently caress out in 2008 and the ensuing gerrymandering of 2010. Their plan( I think they attributed to Rove) of throwing all kinds of cash at vulnerable state races in order to tip multiple states into Republican majorities for the 2010 redistricting maps was brilliantly evil.

If Democrats could ever figure out how to dominate off years the Republican party is hosed.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It's a natural side effect of the political polarization of the country. The democrats are grabbing minorities, young people and people with college degrees. The GOP has the white, old, and less educated. While demographics certainly favor the the democrats in the long run, the white olds get out and vote in every election.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Vice's latest documentary: Fighting ISIS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EUachAFhEA

This is a little off the beaten path, but it does touch on USPOL topics.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Boon posted:

I am fully prepared for 8 years of this, and I love it.

I can't wait to share in the excitement of Kaine discovering girls and the despair of the ice cream hitting the ground.

I for one am eager to see Diamond Joe giving Kaine advice on said girls, and offering to let him borrow his Trans Am 'cause that baby will get you whatever tang you want kiddo, believe me.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Adequate posted:

I for one am eager to see Diamond Joe giving Kaine advice on said girls, and offering to let him borrow his Trans Am 'cause that baby will get you whatever tang you want kiddo, believe me.

Diamond Joe teaches Kaine how to do the yawn arm stretch thing to put your arm around the girl while driving or at the movies

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I kinda wish he was on the top of the ticket for a day just to see what the attacks against him would be like. He's not perfect and he doesn't have the same kind of charisma that Obama or Bill Clinton do but having him as the VP pick is like someone interrupting your Friday the 13th marathon with an episode of Mr. Rodgers.

Tim Kaine would be the closest thing to a Generic President from a pre-2000's movie or tv show.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

hopHeadless posted:

When you tug at the thread of libertarianism it always ends up unraveling into might makes right. This guy all but admits that the only difference between his ideal world and the one we live in is that in our world, people he personally dislikes are not his slaves.

It's like they never grew out of that persecuted nerd mentality from high school and formed an entire worldview to justify it.

You don't meet many cosmopolitan libertarians for a reason.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boon posted:

I am fully prepared for 8 years of this, and I love it.

I can't wait to share in the excitement of Kaine discovering girls and the despair of the ice cream hitting the ground.

It's against my headcannon :colbert: I was already referring to him as Grunkle Tim and I can't reconcile that with whatever this is.

Brannock posted:

Feingold clowning on Walker would be soooo great.

"2010? Merely a temporary setback to the thousand year reign of progressive darkness, former governor. Hail Clinton."

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

lack of universal child care i suppose could be framed as a human rights problem

Lack of universal child care, lack of free healthcare for kids, lack of appropriate maternity leave... All of these are part of the institutional sexism that leads to things like the wage gap. A society without these things is not truly equal. And framing it as a human rights issue is not completely unfair, though I'd personally use less loaded language.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xarthor posted:

Diamond Joe teaches Kaine how to do the yawn arm stretch thing to put your arm around the girl while driving or at the movies

Joe desperately glaring at Kaine during the movie cause he's too excited about his popcorn to mack on his lady

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

cheerfullydrab posted:

Tim Kaine would be the closest thing to a Generic President from a pre-2000's movie or tv show.

Seriously, you saw that thing with the pork chops earlier today.

Also, I hope he, his wife, and Bill all to on stage and play together during the press correspondents dinner

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jimbozig posted:

Lack of universal child care, lack of free healthcare for kids, lack of appropriate maternity leave... All of these are part of the institutional sexism that leads to things like the wage gap. A society without these things is not truly equal. And framing it as a human rights issue is not completely unfair, though I'd personally use less loaded language.

Yeah, if the Green Party wasn't bad at messaging (also, policy) then they wouldn't be the Green Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If anyone competent was in the Green party they would be working for the Democrats, since they could actually work towards getting policy implemented that way.

• Locked thread