Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
memba this
This poll is closed.
goku 130 46.43%
goku 150 53.57%
Total: 190 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mr. 47 posted:

Even 'Shark Tank' doesn't get this sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOOw2yWMSfk

googling bullet ball got me this and that its now used for disabled people to play now so at least it wasn't totally useless. awful sound quality warning

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshheglozIJ7itlD4431

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

H.H posted:

These sorts of lists are written only because it's an easy way get page views, since it's in an easily digestible format, while allowing the writer to sperg out about his favourite musicians.

I just want you to know that I sleepily misread this as "wet gayly" and now have dibs on the best username.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jose posted:

googling bullet ball got me this and that its now used for disabled people to play now so at least it wasn't totally useless. awful sound quality warning

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshheglozIJ7itlD4431

:unsmith:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
former helldump superstar got barnacle jims face on msnbc. skip to 50 seconds in

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/god--guns--grits-and-gravy-book-review-555968067843

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's boniface right.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

he also wrote a really long and bad article about himself renouncing his helldump ways and got it published on gawker

http://gawker.com/wait-what-for-certain-after-helldump-closed-i-neve-477022039

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's gay

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Man who decapitated random Canadian train passenger and proceeded to eat the juicy remains was released to the world in 2015. His crime occurred in 2008.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

And they say Canada is soft on crime. :rolleyes:

Jose posted:

former helldump superstar got barnacle jims face on msnbc. skip to 50 seconds in

http://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/god--guns--grits-and-gravy-book-review-555968067843

I love the retards who confidently claimed this was fake. A photoshopped video. On MSNBC's website. :bravo:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY7gsUL9Xkk

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Inzombiac posted:

I don't get embarrassed by proxy often but I had to turn this off after the first demo.

I watched the whole thing and felt super bad for the guy. Then I googled Bulletball and it turns out that he turned it into a game for disabled people and rehabilitation for injured people and it seems to have found a niche so that made me feel a little better.

Fun fact, Whoopi didn't want to do this movie and the director threatened a lawsuit if she didn't because she had agreed prior to knowing what it was about. She actually told him "I hate your loving guts" on set.

Hail Mr. Satan! has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Aug 18, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine you make the 1 in a million odds and get to be a major Hollywood director, and that's what you decide to make.

I would imagine the blood, sweat, and tears that goes into actually making it as a director isn't fueled by wanting to make a movie like that. I don't get it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

I remember ALWAYS seeing this VHS on the shelf at the local rental store growing up. Whenever I saw it I always wondered to myself why the father dinosaur from the Dinosaurs TV show was in a movie with that woman who was sometimes in Star Trek.

Woden
May 6, 2006

H.H posted:

Get this: "Top 10/50/100" are always bad, especially when it comes to art, because it's impossible to compare compositions that are specifically designed to appeal to emotion.

This is not to say that artists can't be judged at all. Obviously technical skills are a factor, as well as the work's ability to challenge the medium.
Saying that Crime and Punishment describes the human condition better than Murder on the Orient Express even though they are both detective novels is not exactly a controversial opinion.

But trying to decide who/what is the 3rd best whatever as opposed to the 7th is absurd.

These sorts of lists are written only because it's an easy way get page views, since it's in an easily digestible format, while allowing the writer to sperg out about his favourite musicians.

These lists also put in bad opinions on purpose to get even more page views. Like who would give a poo poo if it was a good list and tell anyone about it?

You're supposed to share it and laugh at their wrong opinions.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jose posted:

Well if you think about it journalism is just professional helldumping.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

oh my god im reminded firewire exists

gently caress firewire. holy poo poo. god drat

that isnt the post i meant tto quote. hi wrong post. how r u

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Fun fact, Whoopi didn't want to do this movie and the director threatened a lawsuit if she didn't because she had agreed prior to knowing what it was about. She actually told him "I hate your loving guts" on set.

Reminds me of Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo getting perma-drunk while shooting the Super Mario Bros movie. Must be awful being right at the start of a months-long shoot when you know the film is gonna be loving terrible

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A apparently Movie 43 was cast entirely on lies and blackmail.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Convex posted:

Reminds me of Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo getting perma-drunk while shooting the Super Mario Bros movie. Must be awful being right at the start of a months-long shoot when you know the film is gonna be loving terrible

Some fun facts about that, they had Dustin Hoffman lined up for it, but didn't want him because of the similarities to the script (at the time) and Rainman. Then Tom Hanks wanted to do it, but they didn't think he was a serious enough actor for a movie about a video game.

Switching actors usually isn't a death sentence for a film, but Mario Bros went through like 5 or 6 totally different scripts and a bunch of directors. That usually only results in crap.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I think they were rewriting the mario film during shooting. Anyway it was bad and now Hoskins is dead

Its good to talk.... :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lockback posted:

Some fun facts about that, they had Dustin Hoffman lined up for it, but didn't want him because of the similarities to the script (at the time) and Rainman.

How in the world did someone write a Mario movie similar to Rainman? Maybe they initially wrote Luigi as an autistic savant or something.

In all fairness that would have been a better movie than what we got

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Riptor posted:

Remember the grotesque character Domino's came up with to sell pizza? It was called The Noid and the ad campaign encourages people to "avoid the Noid"

Well, about that:

I thought the reason they stopped using the Noid was because the Noid was part of a larger advertising campaign. This campaign implied the "Noid" was a symbol for your delivery taking to long, and the adds involving the Noid went something like: "Avoid the Noid! Order Domino's and get your pizza in 30 minutes or less or it's on us!"

This predictably was followed by a number of high profile fatal car accidents involving Domino's drivers and lawsuits, which convinced Domino's to ditch the Noid.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Speaking of pizza, a lot of people don't know that the plot from 30 Minutes or Less actually happened in real life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brian_Douglas_Wells

There's a liveleak video that shows his actual head being blown up, but it's really hosed up and upsetting.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The Croc posted:

I think they were rewriting the mario film during shooting. Anyway it was bad and now Hoskins is dead

Its good to talk.... :(

I sort of like how that movie is basically what you'd get if you described Mario Bros to someone that had never heard of it while watching Blade Runner on acid.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

If I didn't already know this was a real thing, I would refuse to accept this was a real thing

It's like every 80s buddy cop comedy concept rolled into one with a loving dinosaur and whoopi goldberg starring, how is it real

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Convex posted:

How in the world did someone write a Mario movie similar to Rainman? Maybe they initially wrote Luigi as an autistic savant or something.

In all fairness that would have been a better movie than what we got

One of the scripts was focusing on the relationship between the brothers, with Mario being the successful one and Luigi being a fuckup. I still don't know if that would actually be a good movie, but its far more interesting than what was released.

Hoskins and Leguizamo is still a really good leading pair, but its funny someone was making the Mario Brothers movie and said "Dustin Hoffman? Tom Hanks? Ha, no thank you!"

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

As I recall, he plunked one batter, so if you stretch the definition a bit, it was a "2 hitter".

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Re: Noid

I had apparently put two separate events together that were actually separate. While the Noid was dreamed up to (quoting this priceconomics article) as a "physical manifestation of all the challenges (becoming annoyed—"a noid") inherent in getting a pizza delivered in 30 minutes or less," it was only used by Domino's in their "30 Minutes or Less" campaign until 1989; however, the 30 minutes or less promise stuck around until 1993.

It was in 1993 that Domino's lost a huge law suit and stopped the ad campaign/delivery promise.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
There was a movie about Genghis Khan called "The Conqueror" where he was played by John Wayne in yellowface. But that's not the most insane thing about that movie--see, it was filmed in a desert in Utah that, unbeknownst to the people who were working there, was next to a nuclear test site. And a bunch of the people working on it got cancer. This is a movie that LITERALLY gave people cancer. Oh, and it was extremely poorly received by critics, too.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Stalker had to be reshot without any special effects due to the radiation in the plant they were filming in ruining all the film. P much everyone involved died of cancer

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Blistex posted:

A apparently Movie 43 was cast entirely on lies and blackmail.

I Want To Believe

Suck a Dick No Homo
Apr 22, 2008

ZombieLenin posted:

I thought the reason they stopped using the Noid was because the Noid was part of a larger advertising campaign. This campaign implied the "Noid" was a symbol for your delivery taking to long, and the adds involving the Noid went something like: "Avoid the Noid! Order Domino's and get your pizza in 30 minutes or less or it's on us!"

This predictably was followed by a number of high profile fatal car accidents involving Domino's drivers and lawsuits, which convinced Domino's to ditch the Noid.

Actually both you Noid idiots don't know what you're loving talking about and the true story is a whole lot better.

https://priceonomics.com/how-dominos-pizza-lost-its-mascot/

Avoid the Noid was also a great 30 Rock joke.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Suck a Dick No Homo posted:

Actually both you Noid idiots don't know what you're loving talking about and the true story is a whole lot better.

https://priceonomics.com/how-dominos-pizza-lost-its-mascot/

Avoid the Noid was also a great 30 Rock joke.

The only thing he couldn't avoid was himself :(

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Robot Randy posted:

Stalker had to be reshot without any special effects due to the radiation in the plant they were filming in ruining all the film. P much everyone involved died of cancer

I can't find any info on this. Do you have any links that tell the tale of the film making/deaths?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I can't find any info on this. Do you have any links that tell the tale of the film making/deaths?

It's on the Wikipedia page. It wasn't radiation, but chemical poisoning.

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

Friginator posted:

There was a movie about Genghis Khan called "The Conqueror" where he was played by John Wayne in yellowface. But that's not the most insane thing about that movie--see, it was filmed in a desert in Utah that, unbeknownst to the people who were working there, was next to a nuclear test site. And a bunch of the people working on it got cancer. This is a movie that LITERALLY gave people cancer. Oh, and it was extremely poorly received by critics, too.

also with "john wayne in yellowface" you'd think there'd be a hilariously stereotypical accent involved

nope, he sounds just like john wayne in every other film he made

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

a retard posted:

also with "john wayne in yellowface" you'd think there'd be a hilariously stereotypical accent involved

nope, he sounds just like john wayne in every other film he made

Him pronouncing Mongolian names in his own inflections is especially hilarious "Temmuh-jin. Targuh-tie." You half expect Walter Brennan to show up as Temujin's old drunk prospector friend. "Well I don't Temmy-joe. I don't know nuthin' bout no traitor, but them Tartars are shore riled up sumthin fierce."

MrSlam has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Aug 18, 2016

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
The Skeptoid podcast debunked the myth that The Conqueror gave a lot of its cast and crew cancer.

quote:

John Wayne and the Nevada Test Site

So now we come to the big one, the myth that dozens of people asked me about since the first Hollywood Myths episode came out. Supposedly, John Wayne's death from cancer was caused by his work in the Utah desert in 1954 on the 1956 Howard Hughes film The Conqueror, a movie widely regarded as Wayne's worst. The location near St. George, Utah, is notorious for being downwind from the Nevada Test Site, where a large number of atomic weapons had been detonated in prior years, and thus was the recipient of much radioactive fallout. Wayne's co-stars Susan Hayward and Agnes Moorehead also died of cancer; in fact, by the time People magazine checked up on all 220 cast and crew for a 1980 article, 91 of them had contracted some form of cancer, and 46 had died of cancer.

People's inspiration was apparently a 1979 article in the tabloid The Star by Peter Brennan who merely speculated about the coincidence without doing any real research. It was repeated by such newspapers as the New York Post (August 6, 1979) and the Los Angeles Times (August 6, 1979). People went a step further, talking to a few experts and managing to track down the history of the cast and crew. This article was what really started the story; in fact, virtually anything you might find about this story takes its quotes directly from People. One of the most often borrowed was from an enthusiastic fallout activist, Dr. Robert Pendleton at the University of Utah, who said:

With these numbers, this case could qualify as an epidemic. The connection between fallout radiation and cancer in individual cases has been practically impossible to prove conclusively. But in a group this size you'd expect only 30-some cancers to develop. With 91, I think the tie-in to their exposure on the set of The Conqueror would hold up even in a court of law.

But it didn't, at least not for residents of St. George, Utah, often referred to as the "downwinders", when attorneys went door-to-door in the 1970's. The Times of London reported that some 700 such lawsuits were unsuccessful. However, ten years after the People magazine article, the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act was passed and has since paid out over $1.5 billion, including many payments to people who had only to prove that they lived in certain counties during a certain time period, and had one of a list of approved diseases. Although this makes it sound like the link must have been proven, science doesn't depend on what politicians were able to convince bureaucrats to do.

And what science has found, contrary to what's reported in virtually every article published on the subject, is that any link between the film crew's cancers and the atomic tests is far from confirmed. First of all, the numbers reported by People are right in the range of what we might expect to find in a random sample. According to the National Cancer Institute, in 1980 the chances of being diagnosed with a cancer sometime in your lifetime was about 41%, with mortality at 21.7%. And, right on the button, People's survey of The Conqueror's crew found a 41.4% incidence with 20.7% mortality. (These numbers make an assumption of an age group of 20-55 at the time of filming.)

A 1979 study in the New England Journal of Medicine found no consistent pattern of correlation between childhood cancers and fallout exposure in the Utah counties, with the exception of leukemia. For reasons unknown, leukemia rates were about half that of the United States at large, but after the fallout period, this increased to just slightly above the normal rate. The authors were unable to correlate either leukemia or other cancers to fallout. Considering that the film crew spent only a few weeks there, instead of their whole lives like the people who were studied, it seems highly unlikely that they were affected.

But we can't make that declaration for certain. The data we have for the film crew is totally inadequate. Most crucial factors are unknown, like age, age of incidence, types of cancer, heredity, dose-response, and other risk factors each may have had — like John Wayne's smoking of five packs a day. And, of course, "cancer" is not one disease; it is hundreds of different diseases. Plus there's an obvious alternate explanation: The cast and crew simply got old in those intervening decades.

What about Dr. Pendleton's gloomy remarks? In an email to researcher Dylan Jim Esson, a colleague of Pendleton's, Lynn Anspaugh, said that Pendleton's reported comments were uncharacteristic and she thought they were more likely the result of media sensationalism. According to her analysis of the fallout readings from the time and place of The Conqueror's filming, she calculated that the crew received no more than 1 to 4 millirems of radiation, which was less than normal background levels. Pendleton himself had recorded high levels of radiation only when a fallout cloud was directly overhead the day following a test, and normal at other times. The most recent tests had been more than a year prior to the filming, so Anspaugh's calculations are not surprising.

From all the data we have, it was perfectly safe for the film crew, and their reported cancer histories show no unusual ill effects.

So there we have it, another line of evidence that Hollywood myths are all just a part of the show. Please let it continue, for as the early writer Wilson Mizner once said, "In Hollywood they almost made a great picture, but they caught it in time."

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4238

Hadaka Apron has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Aug 18, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A Noid.
Annoyed.

I just now got that.

Oh my god, PC stands for Personal Computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU