Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Man a lot of you work for lovely companies for and with lovely people.

Find better places to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah this thread makes me appreciate my work. team building is optional, and usually consists of a meal or something silly like going bowling.

if companies really wanted people to bond, they'd be smart to just drop off N64s and some beer at the end of each Friday.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I like socializing with colleagues over a pint, I do not like HR imposed team building activities. Am I worse than Hitler?

What about employee association activities that involve mostly retired people showing up?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

DigitalMocking posted:

Man a lot of you work for lovely companies for and with lovely people.

Find better places to work.

That's the norm for most people and sadly, most don't know any better and accept status quo. US work culture really has a long way to go.

Forgot to mention this lovely read: https://medium.com/@subes01/this-is-your-life-in-silicon-valley-933091235095#.sfnkc8qq0

quote:

You can’t wait to take perfectly Instagrammed photos of the meal to go along with your perfectly Instagrammed life.

quote:

He’s never worked for an enterprise company, or any other company at all.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I think I've found the holy grail of security gross incompetence. We contracted out some IDF switch configs and deployments. I was checking the config of one of their configured switches for an unrelated reason and noticed the first few ports were manual trunk ports with a native vlan of the user vlan and all vlans for enterprise were allowed to trunk. Then I checked all the switches, in all the IDFs, on all the floors. Every single port is a trunk allowing all vlans.

What.the.gently caress

Fortunately I think this is going to end up being a request from the customer because one of their managers tends to ask us to gently caress everything up but if not this is pretty awesome.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

Is it really that hard to see why it might be useful to interact with your users? IT people spend an inordinate amount of time complaining about their users and how stupid they are because they don't understand technology. Humanizing these people through social exposure isn't a bad thing. You don't need to LEARN accounting, but spending a little time with Joyce from accounting and learning what she does, and what she has to put up with, may make you less prone to get aggravated when she has a seemingly trivial problem and requires your help.
Except that this is best done by actually sitting with her when she has a trivial problem that she's reached out about to learn her process flow. You seem to fail to grasp that different types of interactions occur between people. You don't go to a company sack race/get trapped in a room/are forced to solve ridiculous 3rd grade problems and then go "So, tell me what problems you are having at your workstation that IT may be able to solve."

NippleFloss posted:

It's funny because on the one hand you get people complaining about "soulless corporate environments" but then also complaining that they have to interact with their coworkers sometimes as if the most soulful work environment would be one where you put your head down and speak to no one for anything other than work specific reasons.
This is certainly not what's going on at company events in most cases. It's not "Hey, meet and greet/eat some food." it's "Hey, this is Jeannie. She's your new wife, so you can understand what it feels like to be homosexual." Are you going to walk away two hours later when you are done sitting next to this random person with a soulful understanding of homosexuality? No.

It's the same for all of the ridiculous games that are designed to teach grade schoolers "life experience". The only people that get anything out of these are the wankers in HR that walk away patting themselves on the back for "building value" and/or "helping overcome adversity" when nothing of the sort actually happened.

MF_James posted:

At an age over 23 (I assumed most people are over that age that are talking in this thread) do people really have so much of a hard time socializing with people that are different than them? Sounds like everyone is a lot of fun at parties :rolleyes:
An optional company picnic is fine. It's when you get forced into the bullshit games that most people raise their hands and start complaining about it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'll also be in the middle of a new SAN install, helping the contractor doing the cabling/config. I have to be at the colo to supervise and learn from him.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I like socializing with colleagues over a pint, I do not like HR imposed team building activities. Am I worse than Hitler?

This but only if that pint is consumed during work hours. Most of my coworkers are ultra religious baby boomers and wouldn't go anyway so me and a few other cool people could chill.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Last time I went out for a company BBQ it was alright since we all talked normal fun stuff, then I had to do a quick mobile phone setup for a consultant they just hired and did no training with, and then one of the managers started talking about major projects going and how they didn't realise how difficult things really are; yeeeeeeeaaaaah oh look at the time I better be going now.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Company dinners and stuff are fine as long as nobody talks work.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

Arsten posted:

An optional company picnic is fine. It's when you get forced into the bullshit games that most people raise their hands and start complaining about it.

..and if people think this is just IT being anti-social, I've seen librarians, accountants, administration also raise a stink about stuff like this.
I mean, my employee association isn't perfect with them mostly catering to the retirees, but at least it's organized by the employees and paid for by the company.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Company dinners and stuff are fine as long as nobody talks work.

This, although I'm willing to make an exception for hilarious stories about customers and terrible projects.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

I'll settle for stories about directors spending their lunchbreaks in the red-light district, stories about the cleaning lady messing up the particle accelerator and stories about people falling into the piano drunk at previous dinners.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

This and Duning-Krueger(it goes both directions). I've found the cure is knowing the 3 kinds of knowledge.

http://jangosteve.com/post/380926251/no-one-knows-what-theyre-doing

Thank you. That was a great read.

I got some suprising critique from tier 1 about a script I made for them. They don't want it and don't trust it.
When somebody leaves the company. They have to manually disable their account and move it to the disabled account ou. I've made a script which checks if an account has been expired for 15 days. disables it, removes all group memberships the user had and moves it to the disabled accounts ou and sends an e-mail containing the disabled and moved accounts. Another script runs on disabled accounts ou that deletes the account after 90 days. Basically automated the whole process of removing an ad account.

quote:

"What if the script disables an account it shouldn't"
It can't. The script only disables and moves accounts which are expired and have been expired for at least 15 days. If an extension from HR did not come through for whatever reason, the user has 2 weeks to gain acces back to his account. The script does not target consultants or any other special OU's.

"How do we know the script does indeed work as it should"
Well the script will send an weekly e-mail to "groupIT@domain.com" with an excel file containing the disabled and moved users. You can then cross check the users on that list with the ones in the disabled accounts ou.

"what if the script still disables and moves an account it should not"
In that case. We still have 90 days before the account gets removed. we manually put the account back and assign it the rights as per the users function. Though, this should not happen.

"Do we need to run the script every time we see a request to disable an account. That would be pretty inefficient"
No. the script runs automatically every week. You don't need to do anything. Let's try it out and see how it goes the coming few months.

"well whatever, i'll still disable and move the accounts the day the account expires."

Where did I gently caress up? Did I not communicate cleary what the scripts purpose was? To ease their day to day tasks? How this is an improvement.
I did not expect that this would be an issue.
How do i convince them that this is an improvement?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

adorai posted:

It's very rare to find an IT employee who can't socialize with other IT employees. It's when you try to mix IT and HR and Marketing that things can get weird.

It's all about how you present yourself to whoever you have to work/teambuild with. If you're a goony goon IT hurr durr and they are Miss crazytits from marketing, then yeah, it's going to be difficult. On the other hand if you've worked with HR, talk about sales numbers with Sales, and hang out with marketing because their staff is generally chill, and they need occasional photoshop help, then it's super easy, and it's basically get paid to do nothing for a bit. (This doesn't stop miss crazytits from marketing from being miss crazytits, btw, but you've seen her antics before, and now you get a laugh out of them, instead of being frustrated and frightened.)

Personal anecdote time: Last time I did deskside IT, I'd go chill with the salespeople once in a while, listen to their concerns, chat up both the managers and floor sales guys, and basically do that for each department. Nothing official, just - how you doing, how's your side of the business doing, anything we can (within reason) do to make your life easier, etc, etc. Not much actual policy or action would come from this sort of thing, but people would generally be much more amicable when they came to the helpdesk for help, because they felt we gave a poo poo. If something wasn't done immediately, it was well understood that we were understaffed, and if we said "no" to a request, we usually would have a very good reason for doing so.

Hell, even these days when I'm about the furthest thing removed from end user support, if I have some downtime, I'll go swing by through the building, stop by finance/HR/whatever dept to just shoot the poo poo and say hi, introduce myself to the new people, etc. Not because of some innate need to socialize (I prefer to sit in my underwear at home with the corporate slack window on one screen and a terminal on the other), but because if I'm working in the same building as these guys, it might as well pay off to be neighborly. And at the next company outing when we're eating our cheap-ish Hour d'ouvers and loading up at the wine bar I have some people to hang with.

I realize I'm probably an odd pod person here, but, meh.

(Yes, there are lovely companies and you can't do this everywhere, but sometimes you gotta take it upon yourself to be the icebreaker.)

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 18, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sefal posted:

Where did I gently caress up? Did I not communicate cleary what the scripts purpose was? To ease their day to day tasks? How this is an improvement.

Will the script have run and done the job for them every morning before they get in? If so maybe they will get the point after a week with nothing to do because it's already been done.

(They fear being automated away.)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Every time I go out with coworkers it always ends up being them asking me about issues with their home computers. It blows.

Except for my boss. He just tries to go to strip clubs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

None of my friends from my personal life work in IT security, so it's kind of nice to talk about it with my coworkers after work every now and again.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

psydude posted:

None of my friends from my personal life work in IT security, so it's kind of nice to talk about it with my coworkers after work every now and again.

Good point. All my close, personal friends work in a factory.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

NippleFloss posted:

On the subject of building well functioning teams, this article and the research referenced suggests that high social sensitivity can be important for team dynamics, which raises questions about how one might successfully integrate people who are on the spectrum and have problems understanding social cues.

Speaking as somebody on the spectrum, there are two different types of people on the spectrum. Those who can learn and adapt to minimize their weaknesses... and those who use it as an excuse to never have to change their behavior.

Working is where I actually learned to read social queues and to make small talk. I'm still poo poo at parties because I'm Sensory Defensive and get overwhelmed, but you wouldn't think I have aspergers if you talked with me one on one or in a small group.

But some people go "I have aspergers" as a defence against the world, and just rely on that to protect them. I hate being around that kind, they have basically just given up and told the world "NO, I'M FINE, DEAL WITH IT. I DON'T WANT TO TRY ANY MORE."

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

OWLS! posted:

It's all about how you present yourself to whoever you have to work/teambuild with. If you're a goony goon IT hurr durr and they are Miss crazytits from marketing, then yeah, it's going to be difficult. On the other hand if you've worked with HR, talk about sales numbers with Sales, and hang out with marketing because their staff is generally chill, and they need occasional photoshop help, then it's super easy, and it's basically get paid to do nothing for a bit. (This doesn't stop miss crazytits from marketing from being miss crazytits, btw, but you've seen her antics before, and now you get a laugh out of them, instead of being frustrated and frightened.)

Personal anecdote time: Last time I did deskside IT, I'd go chill with the salespeople once in a while, listen to their concerns, chat up both the managers and floor sales guys, and basically do that for each department. Nothing official, just - how you doing, how's your side of the business doing, anything we can (within reason) do to make your life easier, etc, etc. Not much actual policy or action would come from this sort of thing, but people would generally be much more amicable when they came to the helpdesk for help, because they felt we gave a poo poo. If something wasn't done immediately, it was well understood that we were understaffed, and if we said "no" to a request, we usually would have a very good reason for doing so.

Hell, even these days when I'm about the furthest thing removed from end user support, if I have some downtime, I'll go swing by through the building, stop by finance/HR/whatever dept to just shoot the poo poo and say hi, introduce myself to the new people, etc. Not because of some innate need to socialize (I prefer to sit in my underwear at home with the corporate slack window on one screen and a terminal on the other), but because if I'm working in the same building as these guys, it might as well pay off to be neighborly. And at the next company outing when we're eating our cheap-ish Hour d'ouvers and loading up at the wine bar I have some people to hang with.

I realize I'm probably an odd pod person here, but, meh.

(Yes, there are lovely companies and you can't do this everywhere, but sometimes you gotta take it upon yourself to be the icebreaker.)

This is where you guys that think this is a good thing drop the ball on what us "misfits" are saying:
All of the optional stuff you talk about meeting and greeting people in the building? Great. Company dinners? Also great. We are there. We might not always participate, but having them builds the company and lets you network. Networking is a great thing. And it's especially good if the company does it at times that it would relieve stress, like right after a hard project or right after a troubling financial event. I doubt there is anyone here who thinks that optional bar/dispensing hobo beatings/restaurant gatherings are a bad thing.

Beyond that, it turns into an absolute nightmare.

Now imagine being forced to be at a dinner and then specifically seated next to people you don't know. Conversation will be shut down. One of these types of deals, I was seated next to a person who hated Obama because A) He was Black and B) He was holding back progress on combatting climate change because he refused to send the army in to shut down Congress. Every time a conversation started up at the table, he would immediately launch into his crazy political drivel. The person who left was let go two days later because he wasn't 'being a team player.' Crazy political guy, as far as I know, still works for that company.

And this doesn't even get into the "team building" problem solving BS that some of the worst offenders try.

And I know, "lovely companies" right? The problem is that the minute any company starts getting a reputation on something like LinkedIn or Glass Door, they all descend into this madness. That you haven't experienced one is great for you, but let the rest of us commiserate our suffering with this mandatory, life sucking bull poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sefal posted:

Donny Driftwood is afraid that if you automate the only thing he knows how to do he'll be next on the chopping block.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Will the script have run and done the job for them every morning before they get in? If so maybe they will get the point after a week with nothing to do because it's already been done.

(They fear being automated away.)

Unless I delete the part where it only flags the accounts that have been expired for 15 days. And let it move accounts the moment it expires, they will have a window of 2 weeks to do it themselves. but otherwise, the script would take care of it before they logged in.

I guess they could fear being automated away. but then again they have plenty to do. This also was a company where task manager was disabled for the users. So if an application crashed and needed to be shutdown. Users had to call tier 1 to shut it down for them (they would restart the computer). I gave all the users access to task manager because I cannot see how an user would use task manager to do something horrible that would warrant task manager being disabled.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO sent me a PDF that he said wouldn't open for him. I open it and see that it's a "corporate project" list sent to him by my boss. It has a bunch of stuff I know nothing about, but on the right hand side is a big box that says RIF and under it are five departments.

The last on the list is "Technology."

I'm the only technology employee in the company.

EDIT: To sweeten the deal I also got copied in on an offer email to the new head of Development. $425,000 with a $75,000 bonus.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: To sweeten the deal I also got copied in on an offer email to the new head of Development. $425,000 with a $75,000 bonus.

I am officially in the wrong line of work.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Jesus, this thread needs a mandatory mod imposed group posting event in yospos during forum hours for thread building synergy.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Dick Trauma posted:

The last on the list is "Technology."

I'm the only technology employee in the company.

Oh poo poo. That is a terrible way to find out. I guess you have a heads up to start looking?

mewse
May 2, 2006

What's RIF

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Reduction in forces, according to Google.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mewse posted:

What's RIF

Fancy word for layoffs

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been looking for a while but I can't find anything close to my last couple of positions. I've lost so many skills over the years working at dumb places I don't have much to offer anymore. I think my greatest value would be in insurance money if I get run over by the proverbial bus.

If I can't make enough to help support my parents they'll lose their house.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Arsten posted:

Now imagine being forced to be at a dinner and then specifically seated next to people you don't know. Conversation will be shut down. One of these types of deals, I was seated next to a person who hated Obama because A) He was Black and B) He was holding back progress on combatting climate change because he refused to send the army in to shut down Congress. Every time a conversation started up at the table, he would immediately launch into his crazy political drivel. The person who left was let go two days later because he wasn't 'being a team player.' Crazy political guy, as far as I know, still works for that company.
Hate to break it to you, but normal social interaction includes meeting, getting along with, and working together with people who are strangers and you don't have any initial common ground with. Crazy political nutjobs are a tiny minority, that's not a representative example. Try to branch out and not channel aspergers-tier social ineptness that's so stereotypical of IT employees so much.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

GreenNight posted:

Except for my boss. He just tries to go to strip clubs.

How do you try to go to a Strip Club?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Tab8715 posted:

You talk about going, drink too much and then don't? Or, perhaps you get rejected at the door?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Arsten posted:

Except that this is best done by actually sitting with her when she has a trivial problem that she's reached out about to learn her process flow. You seem to fail to grasp that different types of interactions occur between people. You don't go to a company sack race/get trapped in a room/are forced to solve ridiculous 3rd grade problems and then go "So, tell me what problems you are having at your workstation that IT may be able to solve."

This is certainly not what's going on at company events in most cases. It's not "Hey, meet and greet/eat some food." it's "Hey, this is Jeannie. She's your new wife, so you can understand what it feels like to be homosexual." Are you going to walk away two hours later when you are done sitting next to this random person with a soulful understanding of homosexuality? No.

The point of those things (sack races, locked room, etc) is to get you to think of these people as colleagues and maybe friends so that your first response when Jeannie submits a ticket about the internet being down isn't "why doesn't this idiot know how to clear her browser cache yet?!". And understanding a little about what she does in accounting or HR and the challenges she faces isn't so that you can help her fix problems more quickly, it's so you can understand that her job has its frustrations just like yours and she's not actively trying to sabotage you by opening tickets because she's dumb and lazy, she's doing it because she's dealing with her own frustrations and just wants things to work.

The purpose of those sorts of team building exercises is to attempt to promote social sensitivity and good group dynamics. You can argue that they are or are not effective, but thus far the only argument I've seen is "I don't like them, ergo they serve no purpose." There are certainly people for whom a low stakes cooperative endeavor will be the ideal situation for them to become more comfortable speaking up and sharing their ideas, whereas they might not if they were a member of a team working on a critical project and were worried about the consequences of being wrong.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

"Guys I know this place on the other side of town that's crraaaazy."

"Come on we should check that place out"

"Well yeah they have strippers but it's a bar too come on lets go!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

I refuse to DD again.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MF_James posted:

You talk about going, drink too much and then don't? Or, perhaps you get rejected at the door?

They let me in - bachelor party drunk, wearing a fanny pack and swinging a putter wildly screaming about how much I hate Xerox - so for the boss to get rejected at the door, he must be some piece of work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

They let me in - bachelor party drunk, wearing a fanny pack and swinging a putter wildly screaming about how much I hate Xerox - so for the boss to get rejected at the door, he must be some piece of work.

My friends and I may or may not have been kicked out of a strip club before.

My buddy and I got to the strip club pretty drunk and then split a bottle of Kettle or Belvedere while there. I ended up spanking a stripper (got slapped for it, which was rightly deserved, but we did not get kicked out, and the girl hung around and had a good time with us still) but then buddy puked into a rocks glass, perfectly into the glass right up to the top and covered it with a napkin. Apparently the bouncer's saw that and exited us, nicely, from the premises.

*edit*

I also despise strip clubs, and that's one of 4 times I've been to them, always bachelor parties, except I think this specific instance was a 3rd friend's birthday.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MF_James posted:

I ended up spanking a stripper (got slapped for it, which was rightly deserved, but we did not get kicked out, and the girl hung around and had a good time with us still)

Clubs where you can't touch are so weird.