Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Biscuit:

Cake:

Cookie:

Jaffa cakes, which are bite-sized sponge cakes with a chocolate coating and fruit jelly between the sponge and chocolate:

It's not complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm sorry, I meant cake. How the gently caress can you confuse cake with a biscuit?

Is jaffa cake more like a coffee cake, where it's crumbly and tastes good or does it taste like a biscuit, which is dry and has no flavor save for the taste of vomit in the back of your throat? If it's the later, how the hell are they still in business?

Maybe I just find it funny that people like the taste of biscuits period.

That's because you're thinking of American biscuits, which are what we in the UK call scones and eat with cream and fruit preserve. Our biscuits are firm, dry because they're cooked twice, and only a little sweet. The dark chocolate digestive is especially prized.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology

Jedit posted:

That's because you're thinking of American biscuits, which are what we in the UK call scones and eat with cream and fruit preserve. Our biscuits are firm, dry because they're cooked twice, and only a little sweet. The dark chocolate digestive is especially prized.

If you think a biscuit is anything like the garbage brick that's a scone, that's only because you haven't had a decent biscuit.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

American biscuits are nothing like scones. You're in for a treat when you have one.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Doc Aquatic posted:

If you think a biscuit is anything like the garbage brick that's a scone, that's only because you haven't had a decent biscuit.

As resident of the Duchy of Cornwall, I feel the need to defend scones; especially with butter, jam and clotted cream (in that order).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

CottonWolf posted:

As resident of the Duchy of Cornwall, I feel the need to defend scones; especially with butter, jam and clotted cream (in that order).

What in the gently caress is clotted cream?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Agrias120 posted:

What in the gently caress is clotted cream?

This. It's really hard to describe if you've never had it, but it tastes more or less like sweet cream but with the consistency of partially melted butter. Despite how I just made it sound, it's really good.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You can probably roleplay as eating all the scones you want in that one goon project on KS with the ye olde English folk.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

quote:

four-page character tome a player uses to record all their information
Good loving lord.

That "the seventh of their seven secrets is that they have more than seven secrets" is such 90's pseudomystical Gaiman/Morrison wannabe wank I cannot, as the kids say, even.

The whole "I'm a bibbity boppity that boos" thing is one of those concepts that sounds good at first, but in practice just means you're only good at one thing ever.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
"Order of the Vance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh goddammit I just got that. Now I hate this stupid thing even more.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Evil Mastermind posted:

you're only good at one thing ever.

Well of course, that way you can make more characters. :downs:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Scones own, what the gently caress is what wrong with North America???

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Has anyone heard anything about Unfair? I'm a sucker for rollercoaster themes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

We have both scones and biscuits? Flaky, delicious biscuits you can peel apart in buttery layers.

Bagels seem to occupy the 'scone' niche over here.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I just googled scones and I see these all the times in bakeries. So, yeah, we have those things. Like, as a general rule, if it's food, you can probably buy it somewhere here. I saw bars made of crickets in my grocery stores last week.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
No one is taking about NA not having scones. I'm replying to this post:

Doc Aquatic posted:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Covok posted:

I just googled scones and I see these all the times in bakeries. So, yeah, we have those things. Like, as a general rule, if it's food, you can probably buy it somewhere here. I saw bars made of crickets in my grocery stores last week.
How are those sorts of things? The last time I had an opportunity to eat something like that was in the Boy Scouts when someone was serving cooked ants or grasshoppers. (Or something similar; it's been at least 15 years.) And my perception at the time was that due to the size there was a lot of crunch but not a lot of substance. They were like popcorn but more exaggerated.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

NGDBSS posted:

How are those sorts of things? The last time I had an opportunity to eat something like that was in the Boy Scouts when someone was serving cooked ants or grasshoppers. (Or something similar; it's been at least 15 years.) And my perception at the time was that due to the size there was a lot of crunch but not a lot of substance. They were like popcorn but more exaggerated.

You're making a lot of assumptions on what I'd impulse buy at a store.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Honestly, I think not allowing bitcoin donations is what killed Bitcoin Empire's campaign. :v:

That and the creepy artwork.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's probably my fault... I forgot to tell the Bitcoin Embassy that actually exists 5 minutes away from me about this project so they can fund it with their cryptofortunes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

No one is taking about NA not having scones. I'm replying to this post:
Oh. Scones are delicious. I have no idea how anyone could actually hate them unless they had some really bad ones?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The secret mystical truth of the universe that we are all smart enough to know is that scones are great.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Oh god, not only are there three rock band based board games up on Kickstarter, but there are also three games based on baseball. Dump The Ump!® is the only real game of the three, easily portable too. Payoff Pitch Baseball 1948 and Pine Tar Baseball 1915 look like they tried to turn Out of the Park Baseball into a board game. Just a bunch of charts.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The company I work for has a big meal catered for us every Christmas, the catering company always brings these amazing american-style biscuits that are fried instead of baked and topped with apple butter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've told two of my playing groups now that I'd be happy to run Invisible Sun for them if they'd all chip in to buy it for me. No takers yet :(

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Payoff Pitch Baseball 1948 and Pine Tar Baseball 1915 look like they tried to turn Out of the Park Baseball into a board game. Just a bunch of charts.

In my imagination, these two people are bitter rivals. The historical baseball simulation hobby has a deep schism, some aficionados have stopped speaking to each over this edition war.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I actually bought an earlier version of Payoff Pitch Baseball. It's nice - it's like B-17 Queen of the Skies except with hotdogs and beer and an umpire.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Payoff Pitch Baseball 1948 and Pine Tar Baseball 1915 look like they tried to turn Out of the Park Baseball into a board game. Just a bunch of charts.

You say that like it would be a turn off for baseball fans.

That said I'd be more interested in a 60s to 70s baseball game. I'd love to draw the "Sandy Koufax Refuses to Play on Yom Kippur" random event card or wield the power of Pete Rose's haircut.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 19, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I got my PolyHero warrior dice today. Cracked them open straight away to see what they were like, and they seem fine. The D4 and D6 are a little on the light side, but the rest are pretty much in line with what I was expecting.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, my One Night Ultimate Werewolf app just updated, with the news that there's going to be a 'One Night Ultimate Alien' KS starting on August 29th.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mutant Manual is a "poly-system" RPG sourcebook, that will apparently have rules for Fate, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder Modern, Entropic Gaming System (whatever that is), and "Dr. Nik’s Happy Fun FUDGE".

Pledge rewards include "random images from the book".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp, ended up cancelling my pledge for Fields of Green. Instead I'm trying this weird thing where I order games from a store. To still keep it sort of like a KS I did a preorder.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Despite myself, these wizard dice look super cool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/polyherodice/polyhero-dice-wizard-set/description

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
So a company called Blacklist Games has acquired the rights to Artistic Justice Games' Martial Arts card game and are making a second season. Hopefully they wont have as much trouble as Artistic Justice, who took three years to release the first set.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lightning Lord posted:

You say that like it would be a turn off for baseball fans.

That said I'd be more interested in a 60s to 70s baseball game. I'd love to draw the "Sandy Koufax Refuses to Play on Yom Kippur" random event card or wield the power of Pete Rose's haircut.

Avalon Hill did a bunch of baseball games on that era, dunno how they are, though. I got a copy of Ultimate Baseball ( http://www.ultimatebaseballthegame.com/ ) a few years ago which the creator described to me as "the ASL of baseball games", and, welp, yeah.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Mutant Manual is a "poly-system" RPG sourcebook, that will apparently have rules for Fate, Savage Worlds, Pathfinder Modern, Entropic Gaming System (whatever that is), and "Dr. Nik’s Happy Fun FUDGE".

Pledge rewards include "random images from the book".
While the having multiple popular game systems supported in one book sounds interesting in concept (if not necessarily in execution) and I like the 50s comics style in some of their images, "random images from the book" and "random pictures of our dogs" being pledge rewards doesn't exactly inspire confidence, does it?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

CottonWolf posted:

You're not helping. Saying you need to pile three layers of sugar and fat on makes them sound really dry and dull. But I know that scones don't need all that and a fresh one is a delight all on its own.

Pancakes on the other hand are trash and the only reason people eat them at all is as a vessel for delicious maple syrup. That's my hot take.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jimbozig posted:

You're not helping. Saying you need to pile three layers of sugar and fat on makes them sound really dry and dull. But I know that scones don't need all that and a fresh one is a delight all on its own.

Pancakes on the other hand are trash and the only reason people eat them at all is as a vessel for delicious maple syrup. That's my hot take.

Then you've never had a properly cooked buttermilk pancake, or you just have bad opinions, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Jimbozig posted:

I think you're confusing pancakes with biscuits. Pancakes don't need anything because they're fluffy and buttery.

Biscuits are trash no matter what you put on them.