Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sure, that's why Superman is a fantasy character and not a horror story. It's just a pretty thin line sometimes.

e: There's also a kind of aspect where most of the power-hungry narcissists who control the world are really more part of a self-regulating and not completely conscious system, which is pushed around by various forces, some of which are even democratic. Superman, conversely, is one guy.

I still don't find that more scary. I mean that system has basically doomed humanity to extinction within the century. Superman may be one guy, but he's generally portrayed as benevolent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Does this count as Batman threatening to kill someone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZM1QiP0yIw

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Latest photo of Brandon Routh:

https://mobile.twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/765684462449332224?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Man twitter comments are worse than youtubes

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

At best he reads the back of the TPB and a wiki summary.

He storyboards his own movies, and often uses comic panels as reference for doing so. He kept Action Comics #1 on him at all times while directing MoS/BvS.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

"Man our show was an absolute mess last year, what should we do to fix it?"

"Put Routh in a samurai helmet?"

"loving BRILLIANT!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Recently two of my favorite RPG designers - who are very smart people who I respect - did a podcast where they argued that the DCEU movies were significantly worse than DC television. And it's like, I don't know what the hell is going on here but DC television is, at best, EXACTLY like the DCEU movies - wildly uneven, with good ideas mashing up against bad ones. I do not understand why the movies get under people's skins so badly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's the problem with genre fare of any description. So much of it is about vetting how well something performs against formula.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I do not understand why the movies get under people's skins so badly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's the problem with genre fare of any description. So much of it is about vetting how well something performs against formula.

This, too, but also because movies are more important than television.

It's the same "[X] fans don't actually like [X]" scenario. It's a hierarchy of values based on "guilty pleasure."

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm glad that WB doesn't care for Jared Leto's Joker enough to force us to watch another movie with Batman vs Joker's wacky crime chaos.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Yeah, TV still has a sense of being "less than" movies. The Oscars are more important than the Emmys, etc.

You also have an issue of scale. You can have a couple really great episodes out of 26 and hold those up as amazing while brushing aside the less than stellar episodes. If you only have 3 movies and they have all had serious problems, then they will naturally have a much bigger focus just because there are fewer targets. Attaching a direct cost to entertainment has an impact too. If someone pays 15 dollars to watch a movie that disappoints them, it stings more than clicking on an episode in the Netflix queue and being disappointed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The problem with the DC TV slate is that the seasons are too long. I would like them to switch to a different model where say Flash happens from Sept-Dec/Jan and Arrow happens from Jan-May or vice versa. This is especially apparent in the last couple seasons of Arrow where the story was so thin to stretch it over 23 episodes was kind of laughably bad or exhaustive to how much they struggled.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Recently two of my favorite RPG designers - who are very smart people who I respect - did a podcast where they argued that the DCEU movies were significantly worse than DC television.

I like the people who seriously argue that the TV Flash outfit is better than the movie Flash.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Actually since Zack Snyder is legitimately an artist, and storyboards his movies, I would love to see him actually do a comic. Would probably be sick as hell.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Chairman Capone posted:

I like the people who seriously argue that the TV Flash outfit is better than the movie Flash.

I know someone IRL who actually argued that the Deadshot from the Arrow TV show would have been a better Deadshot choice than Will Smith. She was really sincere about it and I just kept my drat fool mouth shut.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I know someone IRL who actually argued that the Deadshot from the Arrow TV show would have been a better Deadshot choice than Will Smith. She was really sincere about it and I just kept my drat fool mouth shut.

There are some incredibly perfect casting choices in Flash and to a lesser extent in Arrow but yeah, that isn't one of them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There are some incredibly perfect casting choices in Flash and to a lesser extent in Arrow but yeah, that isn't one of them.

They wasted Michael Jai White.

That's Blade 2 levels of criminality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

That's Blade 2 levels of criminality.

I thought you were referring to Ron Perlman and I was like "Huh? He wasn't wasted! He was a total dick and had a few awesome moments where he really stood out!"

Then I remembered Donnie Yen :(

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm glad that WB doesn't care for Jared Leto's Joker enough to force us to watch another movie with Batman vs Joker's wacky crime chaos.

Are you basing this off the scenes they cut from SS? I haven't seen WB comment on his Joker. I've heard about Jared complaining though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Finkle/Einhorn. :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MacheteZombie posted:

I've heard about Jared complaining though.

I'm going to assume that's just the latest installment of the WB viral advertising campaign that some ad agency cooked up, starting with the "Oh my god look how RANDOM Leto was during filming!" shenanigans and now moving into the "True Joker fans should demand that WB release an extended cut with all his scenes restored!" phase.

Not that we can prove it either way, or that anyone should actually care either way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm going to assume that's just the latest installment of the WB viral advertising campaign that some ad agency cooked up, starting with the "Oh my god look how RANDOM Leto was during filming!" shenanigans and now moving into the "True Joker fans should demand that WB release an extended cut with all his scenes restored!" phase.

Not that we can prove it either way, or that anyone should actually care either way.

Ayer's already said the deleted scenes will be on the bluray. Not as a new cut mind you.

There's a vine of Leto saying "gently caress em" regarding his contract obligations to WB/DC. He sounds legit pissed/sad that his stuff got cut. Not that I'm defending him because making millions of dollars for playing a clown sounds like a good gig.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If Leto is really shocked that the movie between BvS and Justice League turned out to be a commercial production uninterested in his artistic vision, he's even further out of touch with reality than I thought he was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hiddenriverninja posted:

I hope that he gets his own movie, but I don't know who'd direct that. He should direct it. They should just say, here is your budget to be James Franco in clown makeup. It would be great.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Jared Leto alienated the cast and crew by acting like an rear end. Cutting his screentime was probably inevitable.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

HIJK posted:

Jared Leto alienated the cast and crew by acting like an rear end. Cutting his screentime was probably inevitable.

None of that poo poo actually happened

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

None of that poo poo actually happened

I still haven't gotten around to watching Suicide Squad but this stuff was by far the most off-putting part of the marketing to me. The trailers looked pretty interesting but every time I heard about how a cast member only met the Joker or how Leto called his Joker a "beautiful disaster" or some other instance of a cast member getting a bloody razor blade or something in their mailbox I was :rolleyes: so hard I could see my nasal cavity. I have no idea how his performance shakes out, but I'd prefer to not have that kind of press crop up if he sticks around.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Yeah, apparently he sent dead mice to Margot Robbie and the whole time I'm thinking to myself "All Heath Ledger did was lock himself in a hotel room and read Joker stories and he won an Oscar at the end.". There is staying in character and there is this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I still haven't gotten around to watching Suicide Squad but this stuff was by far the most off-putting part of the marketing to me. The trailers looked pretty interesting but every time I heard about how a cast member only met the Joker or how Leto called his Joker a "beautiful disaster" or some other instance of a cast member getting a bloody razor blade or something in their mailbox I was :rolleyes: so hard I could see my nasal cavity. I have no idea how his performance shakes out, but I'd prefer to not have that kind of press crop up if he sticks around.

Why would you read all that clickbait.

The actual joker character in the film is just an amalgam of the three most popular versions.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Joker in Suicide Squad is only in it for about 5 minutes. I went in preparing to hate this version passionately, but in the end, he was barely there and just terribly boring instead of terribly terrible. Same thing happened with BvS. I was expecting great things, then heard terrible reviews, and in the end, it was not a terrible movie, but it was terribly boring for about 80% of it.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Perhaps its just viral marketing for the next movie which will be based on the old comic where a mobster pretends to bequeath joker millions of dollars but actually gives him much less.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Nobody is impressed with this method actor stuff anymore anyway, its all been done before by better actors than Jared Leto. Its very well known to the public at this point, and other actors pretending to be shocked and appalled just comes off as a weak attempt at marketing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People are still talking about these nonsense stories months later, it was pretty effective marketing.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Joker in Suicide Squad is only in it for about 5 minutes. I went in preparing to hate this version passionately, but in the end, he was barely there and just terribly boring instead of terribly terrible. Same thing happened with BvS. I was expecting great things, then heard terrible reviews, and in the end, it was not a terrible movie, but it was terribly boring for about 80% of it.

I laughed out loud at the end gag where his SWAT uniform said JOKER on it.

I liked him, and don't think he was so underused, he basically had the only big subplot outside the core team and was the focus of all of Harley's flashbacks (and she had the most). I am looking forward to him fighting Batman in his movie, hopefully with his costumed henchmen who were rad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

People are still talking about these nonsense stories months later, it was pretty effective marketing.

Yeah but these people are just complaining about it, it's not like they actually saw the mo- oh.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'm not sure what comics are like since New 52 came out, but pre-New 52 this is a huge part of DC Comics lore. Not just Batman, not just Superman, but every single DC Comics story. Heroes don't kill. Period. That's why comic fans get confused when the heroes kill.

Fans call Batman a hero because he stops short of killing his victims. Even worse, fans justify Batman's existence by citing the Gotham police force as corrupt, but Batman is part of that system, turning in criminals with cuts and bruises knowing that the police will look the other way. Good Batman stories acknowledge that his existence is wrong and his thinking is flawed.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
O'Neil/Adams Batman is the best Batman.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Toady posted:

Fans call Batman a hero because he stops short of killing his victims. Even worse, fans justify Batman's existence by citing the Gotham police force as corrupt, but Batman is part of that system, turning in criminals with cuts and bruises knowing that the police will look the other way. Good Batman stories acknowledge that his existence is wrong and his thinking is flawed.

Batman is blinded by his obsession in the movies, nerds just see it as a flaw with the film as he never monologues about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wyoming posted:

Batman is blinded by his obsession in the movies, nerds just see it as a flaw with the film as he never monologues about it.

Like that's literally the Martha scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I found it pretty weird when people were upset at BvS Batman acting like a deranged, obsessed person for most of the movie :v:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why would you read all that clickbait.

The actual joker character in the film is just an amalgam of the three most popular versions.

Okay, I'll admit I didn't really read most of it, but I'd see it get mentioned or quoted in other threads, mentioned in passing on a podcast, etc.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread