Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

That one's self-inflicted. They probably didn't even lock-out, tag-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

wolrah posted:

If so I would definitely have felt like that family had wasted my money,

jesus loving christ

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Folks I think y'all are confused. The Schadenfreude thread is over thatta way --> http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3747078&perpage=40&pagenumber=473#pti19

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sandoz posted:

jesus loving christ

listen I get where he's coming from. I'd want to run at my own speed / pace and the operators would probably space it so that even at a modest pace for the person ahead you don't feel like you need to stop for someone and also risk getting kicked in the back.
BUT I'd go down, tell the operator that the folks in front were stopping on track and I had to stop several times and say I needed a free ride.
I would NOT full force kick the cart in front of me doing 25mph.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
There's also never any justification for using the term "plebs".

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chief Savage Man posted:

what if you're conducting a plebiscite?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Chief Savage Man posted:

i prefer "employees" but thats just me being polite

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chief Savage Man posted:

:colbert:

e:

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 17, 2016

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

sandoz posted:

jesus loving christ

Are you incapable of understanding simple concepts? He's correct that the family were being assholes and holding up the ride for others. He's also correct that the girl didn't deserve to be rammed. It's not difficult to grasp.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hollow Talk posted:

The same guy who runs into peoples' spines because he is an impatient man-child would surely be completely relaxed and happy to wait for every single person to go down the whole track individually before they let the next person even enter at the top.
Well yea, like I said it's basically a design flaw where given sufficient length this sort of thing is all but guaranteed to happen from time to time.

ChesterJT posted:

Are you incapable of understanding simple concepts? He's correct that the family were being assholes and holding up the ride for others. He's also correct that the girl didn't deserve to be rammed. It's not difficult to grasp.
Exactly. No one deserved to be assaulted, especially not the person at the back of the pack who literally had no choice in the matter, but that group as a whole were ruining the ride for everyone who had to slow down behind them. Family: Slight assholes. Cammer: Massive gaping rear end in a top hat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
More importantly: Cammer = literally a criminal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hmmm, yep, that seems like the correct response to an elevator with broken interlocks.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Sacrifices have to be made.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, who cares. I say ram the child.

Content:

No gloves, glasses, or bucket. But it doesn't stop there! I looked around the site and not a single extinguisher or even fire blanket to be found, just 5 or 6 fuel tanks. The caution tape is just to block people from parking in those spots; cars could (and did) still get through- guy's back is facing an entrance point to the parking garage, no visibility vest, cones, etc.

These guys were doing the gas lines for a restaurant above. The floor war cored and they had foot long lengths of 1/2" copper pipe sticking up from the ground all over topside without any flags or cones or barriers.

Luckily I had to boot these clowns off site for the work I was doing, though I still had to work in their needlessly hazardous spaces.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

JoelJoel posted:

Lol, who cares. I say ram the child.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_516ml5ImGU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
From the excellent chemistry thread:

Gobbeldygook posted:

They found the problem.

quote:

RIO DE JANEIRO — Olympics officials on Saturday gave what they said was a definitive explanation why the water in two competition pools turned green this week. Someone, the officials said, mistakenly added 160 liters of hydrogen peroxide on Aug. 5, neutralizing the chlorine and allowing the growth of “organic compounds” that might have included algae.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
1918 OSHA, before all your fancy safety talkies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-mhf9xn5U

The steelworkers at 29:44 are pretty neat.

baquerd fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 18, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Samopsa posted:

They found the problem.

Seems pretty par for the course for Rio.

What I'd really like to know is how many chemical-safety issues like that went undetected. Since you just know that if the only thing you found out about was a hilariously visible fuckup that was watched on live TV by literally hundreds of millions of people that there must be other stuff as well.

And it still took them like a week to figure out what the hell was going on.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 18, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

baquerd posted:

1918 OSHA, before all your fancy safety talkies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP-mhf9xn5U

The steelworkers at 29:44 are pretty neat.

Wow, belt drives.

Anyone got the fight scene from the movie "The Promised Land" where the engineer and the executive get into a fight in the engine room and end up falling into the main belt drive for the whole plant? (Movie was "Ziemia Obiecana")

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 18, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Was that a safety sling? Nope, just his tie..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjTuJpgyaW8

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Something that finally beat Colin :aaaaa:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think the best thing about Colin Furze is that he's pretty clearly a genius at this. All of the crazy poo poo he builds works, up to and including a functional hoverbike. The man's the DaVinci of our time...and he spends it making Wolverine claws and thermite launchers or fitting an engine to a pole so he swings around until he gets dizzy.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

zedprime posted:

Hmmm, yep, that seems like the correct response to an elevator with broken interlocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kXcknies_A

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Samopsa posted:

They found the problem.

So the first pool had H20 and the second pool needed some H2O, too?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Armacham posted:

Apparently labeling stuff is hard.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's an article by a chemist that claims they probably used too much copper sulfate, then tried to fix it by dumping in more chemicals hence the color and smell. I'd link but phone posting

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Another day, another poo poo pit death

quote:

To make it pumpable, the farmer agitated the open manure pit, which, in combination with still air and warm upper air temperatures, created a deadly environment.

Movement in the pit cracked a surface scum line that allowed gases to escape from the pit — about the size of a football field.

It seems kind of unique in that it was a wide area phenomenon. Normally its something like someone stirs the poo poo pit close up and they're overcome and fall face first into the poo poo, or else its an enclosed tank of poo poo. This literal lake of a poo poo pit gassed enough to just straight up choke a dude and a dozen cows nearby.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

RandomPauI posted:

There's an article by a chemist that claims they probably used too much copper sulfate, then tried to fix it by dumping in more chemicals hence the color and smell. I'd link but phone posting

http://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2016/08/15/chemistry-its-why-the-rio2016-pool-water-is-green/#5ce02cb611f9

quote:

So let’s review the clues: first, the water is green. Second, there have been complaints that “the whole building smells like a fart” or like raw sewage.

Based on this information, I think that the green pool water is the result of excessive copper sulfate in the water. Copper sulfate — copper(II) sulfate or copper sulfate pentahydrate — is a blue crystal that is used in tiny quantities to control the growth of green algae in large public pools and in municipal water supplies. Homeowners with smaller pools may also use it periodically for the same reason. Although copper sulfate is poisonous for algae and fish and other small living things, it won’t cause health problems for people — if it’s used in small doses.
When copper(II) sulfate is added to water, it dissolves quickly. The copper ions combine with four chlorine ions in the water, creating a copper(II) tetrachloro complex, which is green, and if it’s present in high enough concentrations, it turns the water green. The sulfate ions are reduced to hydrogen sulfide, a poisonous stinky gas, which is the source of the rotten egg smell associated with raw sewage and farts.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

"It's a living."

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Armacham posted:

Boo this man! (I chuckled)

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

"It's a living."

hahaha. Nice man.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Tomorrow at work I need to ask how much extra capacity (thermal) you can get out of a transformer that is partially submerged in water.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its an OSHA violation to bring in a couple chickens and kill them and cook them at work, right?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

DOOP posted:

Its an OSHA violation to bring in a couple chickens and kill them and cook them at work, right?

For the chickens, maybe.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DOOP posted:

Depends on the job.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Totally TWISTED posted:

Depends on the job.

Don't think chicken sacrifice is a crucial part of operating a chemical plant

there's a video of it on youtube, even

B!G_$W@NG@ posted:

For the chickens, maybe.

:smith:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DOOP posted:

Don't think chicken sacrifice is a crucial part of operating a chemical plant
You don't want to know the magic spells that let chemical plants be safely run by hillbillies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

zedprime posted:

You don't want to know the magic spells that let chemical plants be safely run by hillbillies.

As someone who works at said chicken killing plant, I'm very aware of the voodoo bullshit that out dumbass management does