Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not necessarily. Though with Gawker, wasn't the only vaguely newsworthy bit "Hulk is privately a racist prick" - which, I mean, boo, I guess, but if he's not causing tangible harm to people based on racial bias (hiring practices for example) or making racist statements to a public audience I still don't know if I would consider that worth skirting privacy lines for, whereas with your hypothetical there is actual evidence of illegal activity if I'm not mistaken. Further, Gawker released the tape itself in its context as a sex tape, which provided dubious benefit to a story that seems to me to be only vaguely worthwhile to begin with.

Do you think Donald Sterling should have had to turn over ownership of the Clippers then for his remarks? The situation seems similar enough to me to draw the comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Instant Sunrise posted:

i can't believe that the party that gave us ronald reagan and john mccain suddenly cares about the health of a presidential candidate.

I'm even more amazed they'd bring it up when their guy is a bloated, Cheeto-toned lunatic with the speech patterns of a toddler

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I'll hit one home to you SN -- do you think Art Briles is a public figure?

he actually would be within certain contexts, but not in others. see: rick pitino or bobby petrino

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
From a while back:

Spiritus Nox posted:

Has he even been active on Breitbart?

He recently posted a screed about how Trump is the real friend of LGBT people by fighting for banning Muslims.

Please blow up. Please blow up. Please blow up. :unsmigghh:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Hahahahaha what the gently caress is this election

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Tim Kaine is the most Mormon, Midwestern, Mr. Rogers person I've seen that is neither Mormon, Midwestern, nor Mr. Rogers.

He's kind of like Mr. Rogers where when you first learn about him you think, OK, that's just his public persona; I bet he's not really like that.

And then you start watching videos and find out that, no, he's actually really like that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Raerlynn posted:

Do you think Donald Sterling should have had to turn over ownership of the Clippers then for his remarks? The situation seems similar enough to me to draw the comparison.

Should the law have made him? No, not unless there was compelling evidence that he was hurting employees/players/applicants along racial lines - which he might have been, I don't remember, it's been a while and I don't really watch the NBA.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, I don't think Gawker was in the right to be clear. The problem, here again, is that Hogan was coerced by Thiel to take a legal route that promised the most damage to Gawker against his own interests.

To put it another way, I am pushing back on claims that public figure doctrine is flawed. If I were an editor at Gawker, I would not have allowed the video to be published.

Then we're basically in agreement on the critical points. If the video hadn't been published, Gawker would have been way way way easier to defend.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'll hit one home to you SN -- do you think Art Briles is a public figure?

he actually would be within certain contexts, but not in others. see: rick pitino or bobby petrino

...er, yes? Why wouldn't he be?

...Are you expecting me to go to bat for him over the Baylor scandal? Or did you think that I've been away from TFF out of boredom rather than depression?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Aerox posted:

*SLAMS BUTTON*

Sorry, every single space is a Whammy.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/766368124790829056

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ron Jeremy posted:

Looks like the execs were selling too. Right around the time Clinton decided to call for an end to private prisons.

While telling investors everything was just fine.

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/27/private-prison-trump-clinton/

Embarrassed by my woeful lack of financial/corporate understanding but I have to check: this is illegal as hell, right? (The sale before the news break, that is; isn't that insider trading or something?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lol forever if this is what you're reduced to arzying about.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Oh there you are

Trump's gonna lose badly FYI

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh, I don't think Gawker was in the right to be clear. The problem, here again, is that Hogan was coerced by Thiel to take a legal route that promised the most damage to Gawker against his own interests.

Anyone with legal knowhow could have talked him into it, regardless of their riches. You need to draw a clearer line between wealth and attacking free speech in your objection

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A couple points!?
:derp:

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Black people voting = "hackingrigging"

This way the "not racist"s can call them riggers.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Embarrassed by my woeful lack of financial/corporate understanding but I have to check: this is illegal as hell, right? (The sale before the news break, that is; isn't that insider trading or something?

Two of those three sales were after Clinton called for an end to private prisons. For the third one, you'd have to start by assuming he knew Clinton was about to make that statement.

Saying "oh hey people are turning against us maybe I shouldn't hold so much of our stock" isn't illegal.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Raerlynn posted:

Yeah, it goes to kind of a broader point too of what the legal system should even be allowed to do.

One thing the legal system is currently designed to do is that, except in cases of like very extreme misconduct, one single mistake or bad act shouldn't cause the complete collapse of a company. Judges very commonly reduce jury verdicts at their discretion, even though it's really unpopular, because of this exact reason. Even for individuals, we have bankruptcy available to prevent the complete and total ruin of a person for losing something like a big lawsuit. It's just kind of acknowledged that people and companies are going to occasionally do bad poo poo but that a one-off incident isn't going to wipe them off the map.

In a (maybe?) perfect world, companies would get dissolved the first time they lost a court case where they did something bad, but then there'd literally be no companies left.

A more interesting theoretical question I guess is this -- if we could change the legal system, do you think someone with a claim against a company (A Hogan, a wrongfully terminated employee, a sexually harassed female executive, a customer who was injured on the premises, etc.) should be have the option to sue a company not for any monetary damages but to shut the company down?

If yes, do you think it would be reasonable for, say, Target to shutter because a manager used a racial slur when talking to an employee, or even if Target's owner did? Is the publication of Hogan's sex tape more damaging than, say, a year of non-stop sexual harassment of a female employee who felt like she couldn't do anything because she needed to keep her job, or should her lawsuit get to shut a company down too?

If no, is the Hogan situation just okay because they found a legal loophole to do it with monetary penalties? Is the spirit of the legal system that regular people just get money but rich people get to force companies out of business through targeted lawsuits because they can afford it?

It's a lot more complicated than "Gawker bad, you shouldn't have published that tape."

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

farraday posted:

Can anyone confirm but my impression was that large part of federal private detention was related to ICE.

Several pages back but i loving hope so. Reading CCA poo poo in ICE related poo poo for my FOIA work is always heartbreaking.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

lol it's literally a 2% increase in his chances in both polls

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

*numbers jitter slightly within the same range they've been jittering at for a week and a half* welp it's over for Clinton now

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

You're either trolling or else you literally shriek at the sight of your own shadow.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CelestialScribe, you have no power here. State polls have banished your panicked cries.

Begone, foul pest!

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Poor Nate Silver

He should get his hair loss treated

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

this could change, but i haven't seen a single report about it on any other newsite, including fox

but the fuller release sort of clarifies:

that's not inconsistent with the earlier claims

basically that we were already in process of completing negotiations on the release of the funds, and we used it as an additional carrot on the stick. more or less "we won't release the money as long as you hold our sailors hostage."

Trump: "Obama said he would release the money contingently with the prisoner release! What does that even mean!?! Seriously, I don't know what the word means."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raerlynn posted:

The thing with that is the NBA's primary audience is black and young, both progressive segments with low tolerance for racism. The NBA as a whole is very progressive, including the first openly gay athlete in any of the Big Four leagues. The Basketball Hall of Fame doesn't make a distinction between college and pros, male or female. Yao Ming got in to the HoF, not because he was a good player (and let's be honest, he wasn't like Shaq good, but he was definitely good), but because of him opening the doors to China and helping basketball grow.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/06/what-the-nba-gets-that-the-other-big-sports-leagues-dont/

http://opendorse.com/blog/2013-sports-fan-demographics/

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
right wing sites are definitely going to double down on IT WAS A RANSOM PAYMENT, even though it's more accurate to say "we tricked them into giving us the prisoners in exchange for money we were already going to give them"

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

karlor posted:

This way the "not racist"s can call them riggers.

You're correct in striking out hacking in favor of rigging though. The GOP genuinely believes it's unfair to their party to let black people vote without throwing as many roadblocks in their way as possible because if blacks are allowed to vote freely and easily they'll just "rig the election" by voting overwhelmingly Democratic.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

The scary part about the Gawker closure and Peter Thiel is the hypocrisy of it all. Yes, Gawker was a lovely media group and deserves to close.
But then you look at Peter, an openly gay man who financially backs people like Ted Cruz, Donald Trump and the likes, and spoke at the GOP national convention.

For someone who claims to be all about protecting people's private rights, he sure supports a group that does the exact opposite.

Peter Thiel reminds me of a famous antagonist of Doystoevsky. Petyr Petrovich Luzhin, a man who rants about improving society through self interest and telegraphs to all about a bright future but in fact is just a spiteful poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Hahahahaha what the gently caress is this election

AHAHAHAHA it is the best election

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

loving :shittypop:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/766321991079133184

MoJo is Mother Jones.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i really hope we get a 2016 version of thisfuckingelection.png

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't understand that argument. Does he think they all had to march in there at once, or what?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Adorable

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

:vince:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Buffer posted:

It can be unethical and not be illegal and it can be legal and not ethical.

Ok lol I'm sorry but

"unethical and not illegal"

means exactly the same thing as

"not ethical and legal."

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

And it's worth mentioning that Mother Jones also nearly got crushed by a billionaire who didn't like their reporting.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Chaser:

https://twitter.com/whet/status/766325438759178240

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm pretty sure that's also the villain from the new Star Trek movie.

although he wasn't fleshed out as much as I wish he was, Kraal is a villain very relevant to our modern circumstance, because he is both a lifedraining lich, and a relic from an older time where constant war and fighting was the reality, such that when the peace came, he was unprepared to deal with it, and as such is convinced that peace is weakness. If the world gets significantly less lovely in my lifetime, I can imagine that sort of ideology really coming into play. We're already seeing some of it through the alt-right's focus on toughness and masculinity, which was presaged by the John Wayne/Ronald Reagan fake tough guy act and a backlash against more "feminized" ideas of how society should work. what Kraal represents is to some extent the dead-end future of Trumpism - vampiric terrorists.

• Locked thread