Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tracula posted:

I'm one episode away from finishing the fourth season of Orange is the New Black and this makes me intensely happy :unsmith:

Begging for some spoiler based schadenfreude, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Brick breaking champion of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-b_vlR8FY

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Tony Phillips posted:

Begging for some spoiler based schadenfreude, are you?

Please don't tell me it gets worse :smith: The end of the tenth episode broke me like five different times in the span of 15 minutes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In tribute to Gawker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-avakrRUaU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The Schadenfreude here is hopefully America's embarrassment after realizing what a stupid loving idea that was in the first place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

The Schadenfreude here is hopefully America's embarrassment after realizing what a stupid loving idea that was in the first place.

I'll admit I thought privatization was a good idea at first. Holy loving poo poo that was a terrible idea.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can see the financial logic from a state's perspective, but "hey let's create private companies that have a financial interest in keeping as many people in jail as possible, in a nation where corporate money is allowed to have massive influence on the political decision-making process" never sounded like a great idea to me.

e: And then you also get stuff like this, where local economies become dependent on the prisons, meaning that the economy goes to poo poo when not enough people go to jail. It just creates incentives that are batshit insane.

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 19:14 on Aug 18, 2016

Lurkman
Nov 4, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

Can fruede at the share-owners losing money on their investments. They're probably the type where that stings more than if they lost a family member.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Wait, does this mean the US are switching back to a model of nationally funded prisons?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'll admit I thought privatization was a good idea at first. Holy loving poo poo that was a terrible idea.

"What do you mean holding prisoners for profit isn't going to be nice?"

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Trig Discipline posted:

I can see the financial logic from a state's perspective, but "hey let's create private companies that have a financial interest in keeping as many people in jail as possible, in a nation where corporate money is allowed to have massive influence on the political decision-making process" never sounded like a great idea to me.

e: And then you also get stuff like this, where local economies become dependent on the prisons, meaning that the economy goes to poo poo when not enough people go to jail. It just creates incentives that are batshit insane.

For me, it was stuff like this that made me really question how a for-profit prison industry is a good thing.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Those from British Columbia await similar schadenfreude as we try to live with once publicly owned phones & ferries.

This was dope, btw. That woman sucks:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

StarMinstrel posted:

Wait, does this mean the US are switching back to a model of nationally funded prisons?
Most prisons are already state-run. It's a mixed model right now, but private prisons are the distinct minority, which is thankfully going to diminish even further.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Aug 18, 2016

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
This is the real frood about the DOJ dumping privatized prisons:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NeurosisHead posted:

Listen it's very rude of you to make me spontaneously cum in public

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AFewBricksShy posted:

For me, it was stuff like this that made me really question how a for-profit prison industry is a good thing.

Jesus.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Yeah. That article is shadenfreude in its own right. More info on this fucker:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
So not only do you allow privatized prisons in the first place... you allow them to be publicly traded... as stocks? loving lol america.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

http://i.imgur.com/yDF6ccT.mp4

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Trig Discipline posted:

You think that's bad? Check this poo poo out fam

https://thinkprogress.org/california-may-change-rules-so-they-can-keep-fighting-fires-with-prison-labor-b007ad645f50#.77dgym4ye

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yeah. That article is shadenfreude in its own right. More info on this fucker:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kids_for_cash_scandal

There's also a documentary about it called Kids For Cash. It's on Netflix streaming currently and it's infuriating.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ahahaha oh god

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

lol california is a garbage state

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

Never went from 0 to ejaculate so loving fast. Someone get those CERN folk in here maybe we can calibrate this for the particle accelerator.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

how do you get so cartoonishly evil that you literally send hundreds of children to prison for some extra cash?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Attitude Indicator posted:

how do you get so cartoonishly evil that you literally send hundreds of children to prison for some extra cash?

It's like a real life Dickens novel.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tracula posted:

I'm one episode away from finishing the fourth season of Orange is the New Black and this makes me intensely happy :unsmith:

That show is so good.

I wonder though if on a state/county/city level they can still use privatized prisons though.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I wonder though if on a state/county/city level they can still use privatized prisons though.

My understanding is that they absolutely can, this is only federal DoJ stuff.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Actually, the firefighting program is one of the better things out there for inmates. My step-brother was in prison and worked at a fire camp for years and it was a hell of a lot better than being locked up doing nothing. Astonishingly, being able to actually accomplish something and work with others is good for people.

Paying them more wouldn't be a bad thing, though.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Kenlon posted:

Actually, the firefighting program is one of the better things out there for inmates. My step-brother was in prison and worked at a fire camp for years and it was a hell of a lot better than being locked up doing nothing.

Did you not read the article?

California uses non-violent offenders for firefighters, great.
California releases non-violent offenders early, great.
California fights the early release of non-violent offenders who are in the fire fighting program because they depend too much on them, opposite of great.

Ask your brother if he'd rather of been free or a prisoner in the firefighting program.

quote:

State officials resistant to releasing prisoners have even argued that the state can’t afford to lose the cheap labor inmates provide, causing Attorney General Kamala Harris to worry that people will view California’s criminal justice system as one of indentured servitude targeted at already-marginalized communities.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kenlon posted:

Actually, the firefighting program is one of the better things out there for inmates. My step-brother was in prison and worked at a fire camp for years and it was a hell of a lot better than being locked up doing nothing. Astonishingly, being able to actually accomplish something and work with others is good for people.

Paying them more wouldn't be a bad thing, though.
Especially if they manage to prioritize hiring ex-inmates thanks to their experience. They probably won't because people loving suck, but it'd be nice.

Grem posted:

California uses non-violent offenders for firefighters, great.
California releases non-violent offenders early, great.
California fights the early release of non-violent offenders who are in the fire fighting program because they depend too much on them, opposite of great.
This, not so much.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

My understanding is that they absolutely can, this is only federal DoJ stuff.

Yeah the hope is that states/counties will follow suit, but they definitely won't without intense pressure. Too much of a local economic boon/minority control and it's all too easy to frame the debate as "state's rights get those federal know-nothings out of my backyard."

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Ravenfood posted:

This, not so much.

I'd rather see them start using 'violent' offenders. The way we treat criminals in this country is insane.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Why not just release them and offer them firefighting jobs, they'd probably pay better than anything else most of them would get

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cumslut1895 posted:

Why not just release them and offer them firefighting jobs, they'd probably pay better than anything else most of them would get

That would mean implying that felons are human beings who were imprisoned because they made a mistake in life and need to be rehabilitated and given another chance, rather than irredeemable nig thugs who are lucky we don't just gas them all.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Cumslut1895 posted:

Money.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kinda, but not really. Firefighting is a very sought after job, especially in California, because of the benefits. There are also very strict physical and mental requirements. Some of my buddies (bunch of pyros) tried out to be Firefighters but couldn't pass all the tests. Many of the firefighters are also trained EMT's which again limits the people who can do the job.

Then there is also the fact that most of the firefighting jobs in California are seasonal (the summer) you just don't need an extra 5,000+ guys sitting around on the off seasons.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

chitoryu12 posted:

That would mean implying that felons are human beings who were imprisoned because they made a mistake in life and need to be rehabilitated and given another chance, rather than irredeemable nig thugs who are lucky we don't just gas them all.

This but unironically is what a lot of people think :(

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Burning_Monk posted:

Kinda, but not really. Firefighting is a very sought after job, especially in California, because of the benefits. There are also very strict physical and mental requirements. Some of my buddies (bunch of pyros) tried out to be Firefighters but couldn't pass all the tests. Many of the firefighters are also trained EMT's which again limits the people who can do the job.

Then there is also the fact that most of the firefighting jobs in California are seasonal (the summer) you just don't need an extra 5,000+ guys sitting around on the off seasons.

The way things are headed, California is going to be on fire 24x7 so it might not be so seasonal after all :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ragequit posted:

Brick breaking champion of the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW-b_vlR8FY

What a strange trick