Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Full House was no way middle class since property value, even back then, in San Francisco was insanely expensive.

Weren't those characters supposed to be living in one of the Painted Ladies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Maybe Full House is a bad example. I always thought of upper class being stuff like Fresh Prince.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

Weren't those characters supposed to be living in one of the Painted Ladies?

no, that was just an iconic shot of san francisco

they lived down by the baseball stadium

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Radish posted:

Simpsons were good at showing middle class life for about three seasons.

They can afford to have a stay-at-home mother and two cars. They're definitely not "lower" middle class.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I caught a little bit of Hannity while driving in my car, and he once again brought up the "93 million people out of the workforce". Where is he getting that number? Counting elderly, underaged, retired, medically disabled all as that? And he's maybe not wrong on a technicality, but 93 million unemployed would be like 30% of the country and that's pretty clearly not the case.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I caught a little bit of Hannity while driving in my car, and he once again brought up the "93 million people out of the workforce". Where is he getting that number? Counting elderly, underaged, retired, medically disabled all as that? And he's maybe not wrong on a technicality, but 93 million unemployed would be like 30% of the country and that's pretty clearly not the case.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/btn/volume-4/people-who-are-not-in-the-labor-force-why-arent-they-working.htm

In 2014, 87.4 million people 16 years and older neither worked nor looked for work at any time during the year. (See table 1.) Of this group, 38.5 million people reported retirement as the main reason for not working. About 16.3 million people were ill or had a disability, and 16.0 million were attending school. Another 13.5 million people cited home responsibilities as the main reason for not working in 2014, and 3.1 million individuals gave “other reasons.”

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Yeah, you've got the idea. Count every human being breathing in the U.S. who doesn't have a regular job as "out of the workforce." Which isn't necessarily a bad way to measure the status of the economy, but most people don't know what number would indicate a healthy economy.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

They can afford to have a stay-at-home mother and two cars. They're definitely not "lower" middle class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHoy0hnQy8

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mister Macys posted:

They were the nuclear family. Homer even worked in a nuclear power plant for chrissakes; the analogy is beating the viewer in the face!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wow, it has just been a lovely month for Milo, and by that I mean a good month for common decency. Hopefully this wakes a few of his "fans" up to what a soulless creep he is, but it probably won't--I can't be assed to have faith in my generation anymore.

Interesting thing about Milo too: he got a shoutout on Maddow last night in the midst of her reporting on the Trump Campaign/Breitbart fusion dance that happened yesterday. She highlighted a number of horrible things Breitbart was responsible for over just the last year, and nestled in amongst them was Milo siccing his Twitter hate mob on Leslie Jones and getting perma'd for it. All without ever mentioning his name.

It must have just sent him into a quiet self-loathing "I'm not owned! YOU'RE OWNED!" tizzy when someone finally told him about it. :allears:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

nine-gear crow posted:

Wow, it has just been a lovely month for Milo, and by that I mean a good month for common decency. Hopefully this wakes a few of his "fans" up to what a soulless creep he is, but it probably won't--I can't be assed to have faith in my generation anymore.

Interesting thing about Milo too: he got a shoutout on Maddow last night in the midst of her reporting on the Trump Campaign/Breitbart fusion dance that happened yesterday. She highlighted a number of horrible things Breitbart was responsible for over just the last year, and nestled in amongst them was Milo siccing his Twitter hate mob on Leslie Jones and getting perma'd for it. All without ever mentioning his name.

It must have just sent him into a quiet self-loathing "I'm not owned! YOU'RE OWNED!" tizzy when someone finally told him about it. :allears:

TheBigAristotle posted:

Breitbart is doing its best:

"Milo Goes Messianic: Breitbart Editor Returns To UK To Launch Student Free Speech Society"

He's still there unfortunately.

But I think the best thing to do with Milo is just ignore him wholesale. If you read a story about him, just ignore it. Don't even bother reading it. He thrives on attention good or bad. He's making a scene in the high school cafeteria every day and everyone reacts to him until they realize that's what he wants.

Just ignore.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Look at Roseanne's contemporaries - shows like Family Matters or Full House. Those shows were supposed to depict the middle class. You never saw them worrying about bills or expenses. Shows like Roseanne, Married With Children and The Simpsons were all meant to depict the lower class and the struggles they faced. Lots of poo poo has changed since then though.

Next up: goons argue the housing market in New York was cheap in the '90s because a barista could afford a 10,000 sq ft apartment base on the documentary "Friends".

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Parachute posted:

Malcolm in the Middle was pretty good about showing a middle class family imo.

Malcolm in the Middle Class still holds up, watch it just for the humor.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Shbobdb posted:

Next up: goons argue the housing market in New York was cheap in the '90s because a barista could afford a 10,000 sq ft apartment base on the documentary "Friends".

I think what we'll really do is get this thread back on track. lovely ideas about class division notwithstanding.

Matt Walsh Facebook posted:

This is not the kind of thing I usually post about, but I felt compelled to write it because I was really moved and distressed by the story of the alligator in Florida killing that two year old boy. I couldn't stop thinking about it today, for some reason. And then when I saw social media -- particularly Twitter -- once again flooded with people offering their criticisms and "helpful" suggestions to parents who've just suffered a tragedy, I couldn't help but give a response.

I've always felt that we are far too harsh and unforgiving with parents in this country. And it makes it worse that usually the harshest and most unforgiving people are non-parents. They have no clue what they're talking about. I don't care if it sounds snobby or whatever -- it's the truth. If you don't have kids, you should, as a general rule, keep your parenting tips to yourself. You have no idea. And you should have the humility to admit that and shut up.

But non-parents or otherwise, it is very troubling that some people have an instinct to immediately and publicly blast the parents when something terrible happens to a child. Never mind the fact that, in this case, the parents truly did nothing wrong at all. But even if they did make some kind of a mistake, why is it that our society rushes so quickly and even gleefully to condemn the very people who, aside from the child, are already suffering the most because of it? It's depraved, I think. It's like some of us have lost all humanity. All capacity for compassion and mercy.

I don't know how to explain it, but I wrote this because I felt like I should say something about it:

Okay, now imagine that instead of an alligator... it was a cop, and instead of playing in a pond, he was shot for wearing a hoodie while walking home from the movies.

What kind of reaction do you think Matt Walsh would give?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Chilichimp posted:

They were the nuclear family. Homer even worked in a nuclear power plant for chrissakes; the analogy is beating the viewer in the face!

"Nucular. It's pronounced Nucular."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Rick_Hunter posted:

He's still there unfortunately.

But I think the best thing to do with Milo is just ignore him wholesale. If you read a story about him, just ignore it. Don't even bother reading it. He thrives on attention good or bad. He's making a scene in the high school cafeteria every day and everyone reacts to him until they realize that's what he wants.

Just ignore.

I forgot that Baby Checkmark got perma'd, personally. Hopefully his straight up scam gets coverage and he has no real/effective way to defuse it seeing how he can't whine about it on Twitter.

Chuck C is basically a non issue these days.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Malcom in the Middle was the truest struggle of middle class. The episode where they do a retrospective on each of Lois's pregnancies is heartbreaking. When it comes to Dewey's, they're on the point of breaking up over the pregnancy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You guys are all wrong and after this can we shut about it?

"All in the Family" was and still is the greatest show about lower middle class, blue collar families.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey Dr. Drew says Clinton is getting bad medical care:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/08/18/why-tvs-dr-drew-says-hes-gravely-concerned-about-clintons-health-and-level-of-health-care/

I wonder what he can tell us about the likelihood that she was abused as a child by listening to her voice.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Hadas_Gold/status/766394920345169920

quote:

After former Breitbart News reporter Michelle Fields turned against the right-wing news site in May, the site’s Washington Political Editor Matt Boyle had an idea.

Breitbart has been a major booster of Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and the media company’s chairman, Steve Bannon, became the chief executive of Trump’s campaign on Wednesday. After Bannon joined Trump’s team, it was rumored Boyle would follow him to the campaign. However, Boyle was apparently willing to work with progressive activists to insult Trump if it might cost Fields her new job at the left-leaning Huffington Post, which hired her to cover Trump.

Yahoo News has obtained a copy of an email Boyle sent to a progressive activist on May 26, four days after Fields announced her new position with the Huffington Post. Fields infamously left Breitbart after she accused Trump’s then campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, of assault at a campaign event in March. Following the incident, Breitbart published pieces that questioned her story and Fields subsequently resigned.

Boyle’s message contained an open letter attacking Fields that he hoped the activist would encourage other progressives and union groups to sign. According to the source who provided the letter to Yahoo News, Boyle claimed he personally wrote the letter. Boyle’s letter described Trump and his policies as “dangerous” and implied that, as a conservative who “considered supporting and voting for Donald Trump,” Fields was not up to the task of covering his campaign and should be removed from her job by the Huffington Post.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Who could have predicted a right wing demagogue could possibly fleece his supporters? I mean the scholarship to give whining white men more privilege sounds so noble and legit!

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:

That guy looks shockingly like a human representation of :goonsay:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Attacking a former employee by asking if she's capable of overcoming her old biases, the ones they considered a benefit when she worked for them, to report on just how horrible the candidate who's campaign they are now running is kind of surreal, even for Brietbart. Being aware of their evil makes me hate them even more than I already did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

Attacking a former employee by asking if she's capable of overcoming her old biases, the ones they considered a benefit when she worked for them, to report on just how horrible the candidate who's campaign they are now running is kind of surreal, even for Brietbart. Being aware of their evil makes me hate them even more than I already did.

I hope it comes back to bite them by warding off future employees.

Probably won't, but I can dream.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

"Go back to Africa and take the last names Washington and Jefferson with you"

:psyduck:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

My favortie is "MARTIN LUTHER WAS A SLUT WHO WAS loving WHITE PEOPLE."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I hope it comes back to bite them by warding off future employees.

Probably won't, but I can dream.

"She can't be a real journalist because she used to work for us and we're complete propaganda frauds!" is the sort of statement that really should ward off sane people, agreed. Fortunately for Brietbart, neither their viewers or people aspiring to work for them are the sort of people to be convinced by something unless they print it themselves.

I really pity the daughter. She looks like she just learned how terrible her mother is.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's been hundreds of years, can we please just let the Martin Luther thing go

e - DAMNIT POOR MORAL COMPASS

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

It's been hundreds of years, can we please just let the Martin Luther thing go

e - DAMNIT POOR MORAL COMPASS

:hehe:
But honestly, simply by the rules of y'know, adulthood: If you are screaming racist obscenities into a camera, whilst 10% of your body is covered, you have made a poor decision somewhere.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mister Macys posted:

The Simpsons are broke and straight up poor when it's needed for a plot/joke and they're comfortably middle class when that's needed instead.

There are tons of poor families in this country who only manage to have one working parent, and still have two cars (I'll also note that it's a frequent joke int he Simpsons that neither car they have is new or really any good, which is really common among the actually poor as well).

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

In the video it sounded like the people behind the camera were unnecessarily provoking her. Dumbasses all around.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

PoorMoralCompass posted:

My favortie is "MARTIN LUTHER WAS A SLUT WHO WAS loving WHITE PEOPLE."

Clearly she's a Papist that's still upset that the 2nd Great Schism was a thing.(The Greeks are okay because gyros are delicious )

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

beatlegs posted:

In the video it sounded like the people behind the camera were unnecessarily provoking her. Dumbasses all around.

What were they supposed to do when faced with that garbage? Not defend themselves? Everything the woman behind the camera said was true.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

Hey Dr. Drew says Clinton is getting bad medical care:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016/08/18/why-tvs-dr-drew-says-hes-gravely-concerned-about-clintons-health-and-level-of-health-care/

I wonder what he can tell us about the likelihood that she was abused as a child by listening to her voice.

Wow, look at that. Virtue Signalling.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jack Gladney posted:

What were they supposed to do when faced with that garbage? Not defend themselves? Everything the woman behind the camera said was true.

In these confrontations, the black person is supposed to be the silent representation of the obviously better nature of the white person having a racist meltdown and calling for their deaths

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

i'm not excusing the racism. At the beginning of the video I saw, the people behind the camera were making fun of her bikini/body which set her off. I kinda got the feeling they'd had a confrontation before & they were provoking her to get a good video.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:ohdear:

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

beatlegs posted:

i'm not excusing the racism. At the beginning of the video I saw, the people behind the camera were making fun of her bikini/body which set her off. I kinda got the feeling they'd had a confrontation before & they were provoking her to get a good video.

Been taking the saw palmetto myself, and yes. Would. I might actually have some kind of weird fetish here.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PhazonLink posted:

Clearly she's a Papist that's still upset that the 2nd Great Schism was a thing.(The Greeks are okay because gyros are delicious )

Gyros are Ottoman cuisine and (along with Tacos al Pastor) are part of the Muslim infiltration of society. Only Trump can save us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

i am laughing way too much that shes saying martin luther instead of martin luther king
gtfo goddam lutherans! fukken protestants go back to northern europe!