Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

gfsincere posted:

It and the amazing double standard is getting glossed over, considering Gabby called out how racist America is, and got destroyed by the media, but Ryan "some brown people robbed me" Lochte and his "let me piss on the floor of a business" rear end antics, not to mention insurance fraud, get swept under the rug as "boys will be boys" when he's drat near 30.

He's 32. Its such poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
It wasn't an apology so much as "I sincerely regret that I'm just too honest for this world".

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, a "supporter" like the "supporter" who suggested that maybe Obama should could get assassinated at the California primary like RFK.

That wasn't what she said, but I do hope we can re-litigate all of this poo poo again for the USPOL drive-bys.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's not a real serious analysis because it assumes that anything he said tonight is new and that he's able to deliver boring-for-him teleprompter speeches and not go off script and on a twitter tirade. Or that his boring-teleprompter bullshit is actually viable. It's not.

I don't really see the assumption of the former. What he does seem to assume is that the tone is new (which it sort of is). It remains to be seen if the boring-for-him speeches can stick, or if the TelePrompTer stuff is viable, but he did go out of his way to note that regular journalists in the press area told him that the anti-media antipathy of the mob has been heating up even before this tone shift started.

It's not at all clear that Trump needs to stick to the strict script to inflame such hatred of the media, as long as he keeps pointing his finger at the "crooked" media in his off-script remarks.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, a "supporter" like the "supporter" who suggested that maybe Obama should could get assassinated at the California primary like RFK.

more like how the face eating teen is a Trump supporter

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just a quick post regarding the Trump pivot and comeback.

Since 1952, no candidate that is trailing in the polls 2 weeks after the conventions has gone on to win the presidency. Not saying that something crazy can't happen, and this election is seriously outside of the norm, but we're well past the 2 week mark, and Hillary is still pretty far out ahead.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I don't really see the assumption of the former. What he does seem to assume is that the tone is new (which it sort of is). It remains to be seen if the boring-for-him speeches can stick, or if the TelePrompTer stuff is viable, but he did go out of his way to note that regular journalists in the press area told him that the anti-media antipathy of the mob has been heating up even before this tone shift started.

It's not at all clear that Trump needs to stick to the strict script to inflame such hatred of the media, as long as he keeps pointing his finger at the "crooked" media in his off-script remarks.

The tone is absolutely not new.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

trumps obviously not going to win and literally everyone itt knows it

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zas posted:

trumps obviously not going to win and literally everyone itt knows it

Yep, people are just eating themselves because we've still got 80 days left.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So has Hillary's team even released any of the dirt they dug up on Trump yet? Does Trump even have "dirt" at this point?

I mean, does she really need to right now?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That wasn't what she said, but I do hope we can re-litigate all of this poo poo again for the USPOL drive-bys.

What did she say and how do you understand the context?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SSNeoman posted:

Breitbart are a bunch of chodes, but if they get Trump to stay on message

They can't. Campaigning loving sucks. As does being President for that matter. It's a miserable loving grind and everyone hates you and you honestly probably aren't going to do a single drat thing that matters. The only thing your name will be on is the poo poo you actively force it on, or some pity gently caress of a library nobody will ever go to. When faced with the reality of having to actually do this thing, he'll go off book to get his rocks off and it'll hurt him. And he won't stop, because he can't stop.

This is of course forgetting the secondary issue that every single person he's hired is as much of a dumpster fire of a person as he is, and there is quite a bit of news to get out of their failures too.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

gfsincere posted:

It and the amazing double standard is getting glossed over, considering Gabby called out how racist America is, and got destroyed by the media, but Ryan "some brown people robbed me" Lochte and his "let me piss on the floor of a business" rear end antics, not to mention insurance fraud, get swept under the rug as "boys will be boys" when he's drat near 30.

I dunno, from what I've been seeing the media is absolutely slamming Lochte for lying now that the truth has come out.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I'm not gonna say Hillary has it 100% wrapped up, just because some massive scandal on a scale no presidential candidate in living memory has ever had to deal with that nobody publicly predicted could suddenly pop up and give Trump a chance, but barring that she's got it in the bag.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mister Adequate posted:

I remember back in 2008 that McCain's health wasn't much of an issue until he chose Palin,

Nnnnnnnnnope

Comments about him dying in office were the norm, no matter what you back-remembered

People really overestimate Palin's effect on the election. McCain wasn't going to win, she was just interesting

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

What did she say and how do you understand the context?

It was an inartful way of saying that anything could happen when someone asked her a dumb question.

But it's also completely different from the Secret Muslim Kenyan Birther poo poo which absolutely had no connection to anyone involved in the campaign, and the photo people yammer on about was traced directly to Drudge Report.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/766478908908826624

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you are absolutely could lose it's just super unlikely. People are going to panic this whole election though because the worst case scenario is really really bad. It's like being told you have a 10% chance of breaking your leg or a .01% chance of everyone you love dying. You're going to freak out a lot more over the latter.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Nnnnnnnnnope

Comments about him dying in office were the norm, no matter what you back-remembered

People really overestimate Palin's effect on the election. McCain wasn't going to win, she was just interesting

Palin signaled to people what a lot of people already worried about McCain -- that he's too impulsive. It was important. It also proved to be a fatal distraction to his campaign.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

Nnnnnnnnnope

Yeah actually I made a death pool in LF I wonder if I still have that file...

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

What? Yes it did. This forum was full of people SHOCKED that dubya got re-elected.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Petr posted:

What? Yes it did. This forum was full of people SHOCKED that dubya got re-elected.

That might mean something, if Trump were leading in the polls like W was in 2004.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FIVE WHOLE MILES!?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

The most in shape person in those WN group pics is probably the undercover fed

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

CortezFantastic posted:

I used to follow this guy but inbetween Trump rally reports he is as pearl clutching lib as it gets

Tell us more about the pearl clutching libs and how awful black people are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

James Garfield posted:

That might mean something, if Trump were leading in the polls like W was in 2004.

If today's demographics were identical to 2004 Trump would still be losing.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

Never mind that cities get money/resources from the state, and if you've got Republican governors/State Congress it can mean you don't get poo poo. Just about the first thing our Republican governor did on taking office was scrap an East/West light rail line in Baltimore, which was years in the planning and would have given a lot of disenfranchised people much more access to jobs and resources in other parts of the city. The money instead went to a superfluous Metro line in the wealthy and largely lily white DC suburbs.

Uhnmmmmmm I hate the rich fucks in Montgomery County as much as the next guy but he actually killed all funding for both projects at the same time, and used the money to build a 4 lane highway to nowhere and cut tolls on the Bay Bridge. The only reason the purple line is going forward is because he faced a revolt from business owners and developers. But he still attempted to use a poison pill to sink the project by saying that the two counties in question really wanted it they had to pay for it themselves. Montgomery county laughed, and pulled some spare change out of its sofa, while PG county found some cash hidden in the walls. It's a horrendous traffic corridor and desperately needed to link the high paying jobs in Bethesda to the relatively cheaper housing in Silver Spring and Northern PG county. You could argue that it's poorly conceived design wise and going to be too slow but not that it's useless.

The people you should be angry at are the White Rural folks that got a useless 4 lane highway and the idiots that live on the eastern shore and commute to DC.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler
Can someone explain what a Goyler is, to the uninitiated? Google is of little help

Re: Trump shaking up his staff, I don't get where this anxiety that this could increase his vote share could come from. When he hired Manafort, people were worried about the same thing but Trump's going to Trump whether it's Lewandowski, Manafort, or the Breitbart clan holding the reigns. Even if they could craft a message that would hit the perfect combination of buzz words and anxieties to capture Trump 150% of the white vote, propelling him into power, he's demonstrated again and again that his political instincts are terrible and it's unlikely he could remain on message (even when that message is more closely aligned with his usual rhetoric). He has demonstrated absolutely no capacity or proclivity to follow anyone's advice before, why would people suddenly believe, now, that Breitbart news will be any more successful than the campaign staff they've replaced?

Trump is losing because he's Trump. It has nothing to do with the advisers he surrounds himself with because, whether their advice is good or bad, he ignores it anyway.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

Just a quick post regarding the Trump pivot and comeback.

Since 1952, no candidate that is trailing in the polls 2 weeks after the conventions has gone on to win the presidency. Not saying that something crazy can't happen, and this election is seriously outside of the norm, but we're well past the 2 week mark, and Hillary is still pretty far out ahead.

No, but as 538 has pointed out, candidates have made eight or nine point leaps before. If Trump stays on message, puts out more of those speeches and does better than expected in debates, we are ducked and Hillary leads in swing states will narrow by a lot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Serrath posted:

Can someone explain what a Goyler is, to the uninitiated? Google is of little help

Re: Trump shaking up his staff, I don't get where this anxiety that this could increase his vote share could come from. When he hired Manafort, people were worried about the same thing but Trump's going to Trump whether it's Lewandowski, Manafort, or the Breitbart clan holding the reigns. Even if they could craft a message that would hit the perfect combination of buzz words and anxieties to capture Trump 150% of the white vote, propelling him into power, he's demonstrated again and again that his political instincts are terrible and it's unlikely he could remain on message (even when that message is more closely aligned with his usual rhetoric). He has demonstrated absolutely no capacity or proclivity to follow anyone's advice before, why would people suddenly believe, now, that Breitbart news will be any more successful than the campaign staff they've replaced?

Trump is losing because he's Trump. It has nothing to do with the advisers he surrounds himself with because, whether their advice is good or bad, he ignores it anyway.

It's a pun. Houston Oilers + "goy."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It was an inartful way of saying that anything could happen when someone asked her a dumb question.

But it's also completely different from the Secret Muslim Kenyan Birther poo poo which absolutely had no connection to anyone involved in the campaign, and the photo people yammer on about was traced directly to Drudge Report.

I agree Hillary "Look at this picture of secret Muslim Barack Hussein in Indonesian garb" is . . . Inartful.

Edit: like Trump was "inartful" with his second amendment comment.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

CelestialScribe posted:

If Trump stays on message

People have been qualifying predictions with these 5 words for the last 12 months... There has never been a period in his entire life lasting longer than 24 hours where this qualification has ended up being relevant to any argument.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

CelestialScribe posted:

No, but as 538 has pointed out, candidates have made eight or nine point leaps before. If Trump stays on message, puts out more of those speeches and does better than expected in debates, we are ducked and Hillary leads in swing states will narrow by a lot.

You know we're all adults here and you can say hosed.

They also said that, given his history, that sort of a swing is incredibly unlikely.

The constant OMG OMG OMG OMG is not only dumb -- it's annoying and pointless. Yes, a loving meteor could strike Hillary's motorcade tomorrow and Trump could win by default, but it's not very likely to happen. Just take a very, very deep breath and stop this kind of dumb bullshit everytime something changes a little.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Serrath posted:

Just Google the first 3 letters and imagine who would flagrantly bear the term as an honorific.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Serrath posted:

I think that he me listen to them because they're not political people, they're media people. He may not listen to them long term, but he may learn a thing or two as they're going to confirm his biases. "What you're saying isn't bad, it's how you're saying it" sort of thing. Plus him being more disciplined even if his message is trash is going to make the debates more difficult. He may be prepping for debates.

I'm wondering how long the media is going to suffer him throwing hate at them though. This isn't just people blaming the "liberal media" for all of their woes, but suggesting reprisals and violence towards them.

But yeah, at this point I don't think Trump can win. What bothers me is that he's stirring up hatred for people he doesn't like and at this rate it's going to spark violence. If we're unlucky it'll spark a lot of it too.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 19, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

I agree Hillary "Look at this picture of secret Muslim Barack Hussein in Indonesian garb" is . . . Inartful.

That never happened, but okay trollio.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Petr posted:

Tell us more about the pearl clutching libs and how awful black people are.

:yikes:

When he first started going to rallies, he would act like he never heard Hilary be called a bitch before. He was aghast at people selling Monica shallows shirts. He is just a dweeb. Decent reporting during rally though

CortezFantastic fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 19, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Serrath posted:

People have been qualifying predictions with these 5 words for the last 12 months... There has never been a period in his entire life lasting longer than 24 hours where this qualification has ended up being relevant to any argument.

actually imo his message discipline during the early primary was generally way better than his rivals. ofc he's never shown for a minute that he can run a decent ge campaign

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Your Arzying has lasted longer than four hours, so please call your doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

Ham Wrangler

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think that he me listen to them because they're not political people, they're media people. He may not listen to them long term, but he may learn a thing or two.

I canvassed my thoughts on this in a post a couple days ago but he has no history of learning from his mistakes, taking advice, or thoughtful reflection before regardless of who the messenger is. To start now would go against 70 years of recorded public statements made by this person. Whether they're media people or not, he's demonstrated himself to be an intransigent man of very rigid and fixed beliefs and actions. His lack of political experience and insight makes any change to his approach virtually impossible for him; he's going to, again and again, fall back into a habit of continuing this same pattern of behaviour. People are shocked at the things he's said so far but something that has been demonstrated through this election cycle and a 10 year history of tweets and 40 year history being in the public eye is that he's profoundly consistent, to his detriment.

I see no evidence that he'll change this consistency because I frankly think he doesn't know how. His entire election platform has flown in exactly the trajectory that anyone familiar with him before he ran would have predicted. The only surprising thing about this election is how successful he's been but these have never been the actions of a measured and cunning political operative.

• Locked thread