Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why isn't Batman/Superman Jesus!?!?! DAD WHY DID YOU BETRAY ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

Yeah but these people are just complaining about it, it's not like they actually saw the mo- oh.

I mean the stories are just like "he bought Margot Robbie a pet rat", and then clickbait sites spin that into a narrative where that screamo guy is dishonouring dead hero Heath Ledger, who you loved in a movie that made more money with a fresh tomato. (Do you agree that heroes should be spat upon in defiance of nature? Leave you're thoughts in the comments below.)

It's important to comment, like and subscribe because you're deeply unhappy, and you don't know why. But if we make this go viral, someone will hear you and do something to make you feel happy again - like when you were a child who loved such goofy trash movies as Suicide Squad.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Toady posted:

Fans call Batman a hero because he stops short of killing his victims. Even worse, fans justify Batman's existence by citing the Gotham police force as corrupt, but Batman is part of that system, turning in criminals with cuts and bruises knowing that the police will look the other way. Good Batman stories acknowledge that his existence is wrong and his thinking is flawed.

Batman and Gordon are actively working against the corruption. It would be ridiculous to assume they didn't. There's even a comic that's all about the group of cops that Gordon hand picked. Wasn't a big part of Dark Knight about how they were working with Dent to ferret out corruption? And what do you suggest Batman do, create his own super prison? The fact that all Batman does is turn them in to the authorities is a good thing. Also a Batman that kills has no logical reason to leave the Joker alive so that whole interaction doesn't make much sense.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

dishonouring loved money fresh tomato. heroes spat upon nature

deeply unhappy why viral hear you do something happy again

:crossarms:

your secret message is confusing me

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Drink more Ovaltine.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Why isn't Batman/Superman Jesus!?!?! DAD WHY DID YOU BETRAY ME!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Seems perfectly fine to me *becomes a government assassin and does a weak powerbomb on Captain America's love interest*

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Seems perfectly fine to me *becomes a government assassin and says "THIS IS KATANAAAAA"*

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought SS was a trash heap of editing/cuts and what seemed like half-finished scenes, but I really dug the little bit of Leto's Joker that we got to see. It was an interesting take on the character, just a whole heap of contradiction and dysfunction. The Joker seemed to have an awareness of his persona/reputation and was working hard to maintain it in a way the other Jokers don't seem to Leto's Joker is an inorganic version, which is pretty cool. Deadshot was a fun, @WillSmithVehicle and I can't fault that, but was super cliched with his 'mah kid!!' which got uninteresting. Harley is super hot and
... actually she was pretty interesting aside from a few lines of dialog which were just utterly awful. A lot of the other characters were cool in theory, but woefully non-existent in application.

The dialog came across as stilted and hollow much of the time - empty like a sitcom without its laughtrack. "wordswords" - beat beat - "words words" - beat beat.

I felt pretty bored watching the movie in the theater, but drat, there were bits and pieces interspersed that made it not totally irredeemable.

If this was Ayer's vision as he defends then I think he has pretty poo poo vision. The movie was nice and colorful at times, I guess.
Coming off the awesomeness of MoS and BvS(extended cut) this was a crap in the pants.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How can a rat be dead if it's alive? Proof that the Riddler was in SS all along. I also heard that there's no actual 'feud' or anything between Leto and WB, he was just being his usual jokey self in that Vine. He did say he wants to be in Affleck's Batman movie.

Zendaya could be playing Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2017. She describes her MJ as a "movie nerd", so it's probably something like the Ultimate version.
http://www.thewrap.com/zendaya-spider-man-homecoming-role-reveal-mary-jane-watson/

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's literally the only thing he's ever said that made sense to me.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Toady posted:

Fans call Batman a hero because he stops short of killing his victims. Even worse, fans justify Batman's existence by citing the Gotham police force as corrupt, but Batman is part of that system, turning in criminals with cuts and bruises knowing that the police will look the other way. Good Batman stories acknowledge that his existence is wrong and his thinking is flawed.

For all the claims that Batman doesn't kill, comics play fast and loose with the idea as is convenient for the plot. I've recently read another story from O'Neil, Batman: Venom and is quite jarring to see how, let's say "flexible" Bruce is regarding lethal force. He uses a pair of mooks as Shark bait to rescue Alfred and then he intentionally goads the main villian into taking a highly addictive drug that end killing him in prison.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
The Tick reboot pilot is free on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/The-Tick/dp/B01J776HVW/
Its really good

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

wyoming posted:

Batman is blinded by his obsession in the movies, nerds just see it as a flaw with the film as he never monologues about it.
I know superhero comics are a silly genre but if I suspended disbelief and accepted the silliness, the I couldn't really call Batman flawed. On the contrary, he is ridiculously good at fighting criminals, especially when you consider he works without the support of a large police department or the blessing of the law. You say he isn't coping properly with his pain, but he is at least coping with his pain in a very pro-social (if bizarre) manner. The many people whose lives he has saved should be grateful that Bruce Wayne did not get over his pain and turn into just another aloof businessman.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Seeing only the image and not the tweet, I thought maybe we were getting a Ronin Warriors live action show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Zendaya could be playing Mary Jane in Spider-Man 2017. She describes her MJ as a "movie nerd", so it's probably something like the Ultimate version.
http://www.thewrap.com/zendaya-spider-man-homecoming-role-reveal-mary-jane-watson/

As expected, people are losing their poo poo over this and I am loving every second.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

As expected, people are losing their poo poo over this and I am loving every second.

Let me guess it's because she's not white

They should be pissed off that it's because they're cribbing from the Ultimate universe for fucks sake. There's a reason why the Ultimate Universe is dead and buried and it's not because 'overabundance of good characters'

The movie is going to be a hot mess no matter how it turns out, and if I'm wrong I'll be more stoked than anyone you believe me, but this casting is not the problem. Unless the actress sucks but I can't say I watch very many Disney programs for TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of course it's because she's not white. On the Nerdist FB page there were over a dozen "I'm not racist but" comments within the first hour.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ultimate spider-man was the one book in that universe that never became a dumpster fire while i was still reading comics, they should use it as a source all they want imo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I thought most people prefer Ultimate Spider-Man especially after One More Day happened.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Ultimate Spider-man is awesome, it's one of the only conventional superhero comic books I know and like.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

ultimate spider-man was the one book in that universe that never became a dumpster fire while i was still reading comics, they should use it as a source all they want imo

addendum: they probably shouldn't crib from those issues where full adult wolverine and teenage peter parker switch bodies and wolverine has sex with teenage mary jane while pretending to be peter parker

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ultimate Spider-Man has some really dumb poo poo in it that just comes from being in the Ultimate Universe. Lots of NO FUN ALLOWED bullshit.

Plus if they're cribbing from the Ditko design for the mask, why not just embrace that entirely? Ditko Vulture was a badass.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brother Entropy posted:

addendum: they probably shouldn't crib from those issues where full adult wolverine and teenage peter parker switch bodies and wolverine has sex with teenage mary jane while pretending to be peter parker

This didn't happen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ultimate Spider-Man is as good as, if not better than, The original Lee/Ditko/Romita run. That's not to insult Lee et al. but a comment on how highly I think of Ultimate Spider-Man. It's not perfect (and it gets a little long in the tooth towards the end as the Ultimate Universe was getting Loebed), but it's the best superhero comic in a long rear end time, and I wish we could have gotten more years of Miles Morales without the burden of being in the regular Marvel universe.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
As long as Zendaya and Holland have more chemistry than this awkward poo poo, who cares what color her skin is.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Inkspot posted:

As long as Zendaya and Holland have more chemistry than this awkward poo poo, who cares what color her skin is.

Nerds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ultimatum was the worst comic book I have ever read. No hyperbole. But I'd love to see them adapt it in the MCU. Bonus points if they get the rights back to X-Men somehow and making a big deal of it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

The Tick reboot pilot is free on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/The-Tick/dp/B01J776HVW/
Its really good
Anyone got a source for it for non-Americans?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ultimatum was the worst comic book I have ever read. No hyperbole. But I'd love to see them adapt it in the MCU. Bonus points if they get the rights back to X-Men somehow and making a big deal of it.
Ultimatum made me laugh when I first read it. It felt like a mischievous joke on the part of the writer. He should have published it in MAD magazine.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Toady posted:

I think these stories work better in the comics because they are a contrast to the norm but nowadays movies seem to hate batman as a baseline. Everything is "batman is lovely and ineffectual and that's not realistic he has to be crazy and violent and kill people!" and surprise people who like batman can get rubbed the wrong way by it after awhile.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Elfgames posted:

I think these stories work better in the comics because they are a contrast to the norm but nowadays movies seem to hate batman as a baseline. Everything is "batman is lovely and ineffectual and that's not realistic he has to be crazy and violent and kill people!" and surprise people who like batman can get rubbed the wrong way by it after awhile.

Yeah you totally nailed every recent Batman movie, that Nolan Batman was fuckin brutal.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah you totally nailed every recent Batman movie, that Nolan Batman was fuckin brutal.

pretty sure nolan batman ends with "batman sucks, bruce should go live on an island and be happy"

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Who knew that dressing up as an animal and beating up the mentally deranged / petty criminals instead of using your massive wealth to curb poverty and therefore crime was unhealthy?
Oh, right, Nolan did.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Kulkasha posted:

Who knew that dressing up as an animal and beating up the mentally deranged / petty criminals instead of using your massive wealth to curb poverty and therefore crime was unhealthy?
Oh, right, Nolan did.
Well, I don't think Ra's, Bane, or the Joker could have been helped by a charity program. And doesn't Bruce Wayne do that anyway?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Elfgames posted:

pretty sure nolan batman ends with "batman sucks, bruce should go live on an island and be happy"

The films are certainly very critical of Batman but they literally end with him as the revered hero who sacrificed his reputation and then his life for the good of the city, and who inspires ordinary people to make a stand against crime and terror. Bruce is smart enough to finally realise he doesn't have to be do it forever because the symbol he created for that purpose has done its job.

So yeah, summing it up solely as "Batman sucks" is a massively reductive and disingenuous reading of the film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kurzon posted:

Well, I don't think Ra's, Bane, or the Joker could have been helped by a charity program. And doesn't Bruce Wayne do that anyway?

And what petty criminals does he go after in those films anyway? All his targets are mafia, deranged killers, ninjas, and people hell-bent on destroying the city or holding a child hostage.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
To be fair, the same thing is true in the comics. How often do you see Batman go after ordinary criminals? Every once in a while you'll see him beat up a mugger or a bank robber, but that's just in the prologue to a story where the real villain is someone colorful and outlandish.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Ya, superheroes wreckin normies is the stuff that happens outside of superhero stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

I find it funny that some of the people I follow on Twitter who are vehemently defending this casting by saying ANYONE who disagrees with it is racist, not a single one of them was championing Marvel making a movie about the black female Capt Marvel. Nope, they were all sooooooo thrilled that Brie Larson was cast instead.

• Locked thread