Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Did they mention what kind of spacecraft Nicholas Locarno and his team were flying when they did that dangerous maneuver that killed the guy? Because I always assumed they were single-seater craft that were analogous to fighters.

Academy flight trainer

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Academy_flight_trainer

Edit: "The otherwise indiscernible symbol in front of the cockpit was that of Cobra from the G.I. Joe franchise."

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
...Which says attack ship which leads to the maquis ships. Damnit the wiki disease of neverending interesting/cool reading.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This seems to generally be because the weapon arrays on starships are so overwhelming that maneuverability is meaningless. Dennis Okuda wrote in a Star Trek Encyclopedia that the Enterprise-D can fire on 30 different targets simultaneously.
Fighters should just be drones in overwhelming numbers. Just a swarm of lovely disposable photon torpedo bombers meant to overload the targeting systems and just batter the gently caress out of shields.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

The other day I saw Star Trek Beyond and if you like drone swarms, then boy is that the movie for you.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

"The Secret Intrigue Behind The Mirror Universe" is apparently...LESBIANS! :rolleyes:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was curious what Gates McFadden was up to about 10 years ago and holy poo poo is there a lot of Troi/Crusher slash out there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

"The Secret Intrigue Behind The Mirror Universe" is apparently...LESBIANS! :rolleyes:

The worst kept secret in two universes!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

FilthyImp posted:

Fighters should just be drones in overwhelming numbers. Just a swarm of lovely disposable photon torpedo bombers meant to overload the targeting systems and just batter the gently caress out of shields.

About time the Nanites got a loving job. :bahgawd:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Loss is a great episode, it has Troi realizing that she uses her empathic powers as a crutch and she doesn't actually know how to deal with people without them.

...except that she magically gets her powers back in the end and doesn't learn anything from the experience. The End! No moral.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fister Roboto posted:

The Loss is a great episode, it has Troi realizing that she uses her empathic powers as a crutch and she doesn't actually know how to deal with people without them.

...except that she magically gets her powers back in the end and doesn't learn anything from the experience. The End! No moral.

There's a part of me that thinks a good short story would be to go to a planet where nobody can read facial expressions, but everyone is still facially expressive, and for someone to show up who could read those facial expressions would be intensely scandalous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

"I didn't do that thing you're accusing me of."
"He's lying, captain, I can sense it."
"Well that proves it, shoot him out the airlock."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The fact that they use telepathic and empathic aliens in an official capacity is such bullshit. They could just pretend you're lying and no one would know.

In practice, Troi is just a Gwen DeMarco, not much of an advantage and more often than not a weak point, since you can pretty easily knock her out just with the pure force of being an rear end in a top hat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

"I plead the fifth."
"Yeah well telepathy says gently caress you"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cojawfee posted:

I remember some superhero game setting where there were a bunch of telepaths had telepathic cross examination. Like you had the two or three telepaths all read the same dude's mind and the evidence was only admitted if they were all basically in agreement. If you do that and keep the telepaths separate it could work out. You'd probably have to pay the telepaths real well, though.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

They did sort of address that couple times (though it may have been on Voyager so :shrug:). At some point, I remember them saying that the Federation doesn't consider telepathic readings/memory extraction/whatever to be entirely foolproof or reliable (though iirc the aliens of the week did), so legally they were treated more like circumstantial evidence that probably wasn't good enough to condemn someone without corroboration. Sort of like how polygraphs or expert testimony are (supposed to be) treated in modern courtrooms.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/763141566034739200

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/765544928390713344

https://twitter.com/swear_trek/status/763078417499713536

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

They actually addressed this... in Babylon 5.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Tears In A Vial posted:

Academy flight trainer

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Academy_flight_trainer

Edit: "The otherwise indiscernible symbol in front of the cockpit was that of Cobra from the G.I. Joe franchise."

And an unused design for the Maquis Fighter ended up becoming the Defiant!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A story about the Maquis stealing a Defiant variant from wherever it is they mothball prototype starships would have been interesting.

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
Re: post ST09 Romulan chat: I just watched TNG's Reunification the other night and given that Spock stays on Romulus to assist the movement and the next time we see him is ST09 where he is openly assisting the Romulan government with advanced Federation tech, did reunification succeed?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

AnxiousApatosaurus posted:

Re: post ST09 Romulan chat: I just watched TNG's Reunification the other night and given that Spock stays on Romulus to assist the movement and the next time we see him is ST09 where he is openly assisting the Romulan government with advanced Federation tech, did reunification succeed?

No. The implication is that the Hobus supernova was threatening many worlds, not just Romulan ones, so the Federation's decision to intervene was pretty easy to make. And even if it was only Romulus, I'm sure the Federation would have offered anyway. Something similar happened with the Klingons and the Praxis incident.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
All you nerds making GBS threads on starfighters and the Excelsior class and other cool things, if you poo poo on the Defiant, we're gonna fight. She's a tough little ship.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

All you nerds making GBS threads on starfighters and the Excelsior class and other cool things, if you poo poo on the Defiant, we're gonna fight. She's a tough little ship.

Little?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think those Romulan guys blaming Spock for Romulus blowing up was pretty spot on. It makes perfect sense that a bunch of backwoods hillbillies would think that the guy trying to help was actually to blame for everything. The only thing missing was for the Romulans to claim that Spock is a secret Reman.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Geeze, man, he's just a military officer from a rival nation who's been running a secret society for decades built around recruiting young people into abandoning their culture and adopting his weird ideology. What's suspicious about that?!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
When DS9 was on, I always figured it was a slightly-bigger runabout because its bridge holds, like, 5 people. I thought it was a super-secret stealth supership kind of dealie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Angry Salami posted:

Geeze, man, he's just a military officer from a rival nation who's been running a secret society for decades built around recruiting young people into abandoning their culture and adopting his weird ideology. What's suspicious about that?!
Sounds like a perfectly good reason to go into another dimension and blow up his homeworld. Imagine if Spock had died in transit into the Kelvin universe, or if he'd come out 200 years later, or 200 years earlier. Or if young Spock had been on one of those anonymous ships his dumb mining laser vessel blew up.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

The_Doctor posted:

A story about the Maquis stealing a Defiant variant from wherever it is they mothball prototype starships would have been interesting.

Is... is this a put on?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

armoredgorilla posted:

Is... is this a put on?
Like Riker's sideburns?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Gammatron 64 posted:

The design is neat, I only have two beefs with the ship:

- As portrayed it didn't seem to have any drawbacks beyond maiming bridge crew, which kind of implies "heh nacelles on pylons really is dumb". I think it would have been cool if it were shown to be not the fastest ship at warp speed, or maybe that it runs incredibly hot (like running from DS9 to Earth and back will nearly drain the antimatter tanks), or something like that.

- It's a dramatic/production limitation, I know (annnnnd maybe a desire to not be too alike with B5 :v:) but from Sisko's introduction of it I felt like we should have eventually been seeing them operating in wolfpacks; they were supposedly designed to be something you could ramp up production of and send in large numbers against Borg cubes or Romulan invasion fleets or what-have-you.

The_Doctor posted:

...you know there was an episode where the Maquis stole Defiant herself, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Maquis were cool until the made Eddington their leader. He was the goddamned worst. I mean just a poo poo actor through and through.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

...you know there was an episode where the Maquis stole Defiant herself, right?

Oh bloody hell, of course there is. With beard patches Thomas. :doh:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh bloody hell, of course there is. With beard patches Thomas. :doh:

The greatest "dun dun DUNNNN!" moment in Star Trek history.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It's so funny he has a fake disguise beard instead of just concentrating for a few minutes and spontaneously growing one himself like we know that the Riker can

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The only way I could see starfighters working is if they went the Freespace 2 route.

Zipping around dogfighting, ganging up to take out smaller capital ships, picking off subsystems on the bigger ones, all while phaser and disruptor beams from the capital ships rip through space frying them if they get too close.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sash! posted:

It's so funny he has a fake disguise beard instead of just concentrating for a few minutes and spontaneously growing one himself like we know that the Riker can

Prime Riker didn't gain that power until after the transporter accident.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Sash! posted:

Big lumbering ships that have no evasive capacity and rely on passive defenses and no active countermeasures and still can't accurately hit each other with phasers?

Did you read the rest of my post where I proposed several different scenarios that could produce the kind of dramatic tension that would make a fight between them actually interesting to watch?

All Trek technology (Treknology) needs to be limited somehow in order for there to be interesting drama. Sometimes it works out and is awesome, like in Wrath of Khan; other times it's dumb like in most holodeck episodes or when Harry gets locked out for no apparent reason. It is much more challenging to create stories that a) involve Treknology working as it's supposed to and b) are actually interesting.

Off the top of my head, I think Devil's Due in TNG is a good example - they basically realize "wait, we can do all this stuff with science, maybe it's not actually magic."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Trek fighters should be rear end in a top hat barges like the Goonsquad swarm.

"Captain, 45 light shuttles have just dropped out of warp ... Wait, they're all dumping tetrion radiation. Shields and sensors are down."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Fighters would work if they had cloaking devices so they weren't instantly obliterated. That's kind of how it worked in the age of sail too. Boats were a useful tool in combat but they'd be shot to pieces if they were spotted before they reached their target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The design is neat, I only have two beefs with the ship:

- As portrayed it didn't seem to have any drawbacks beyond maiming bridge crew, which kind of implies "heh nacelles on pylons really is dumb". I think it would have been cool if it were shown to be not the fastest ship at warp speed, or maybe that it runs incredibly hot (like running from DS9 to Earth and back will nearly drain the antimatter tanks), or something like that.

- It's a dramatic/production limitation, I know (annnnnd maybe a desire to not be too alike with B5 :v:) but from Sisko's introduction of it I felt like we should have eventually been seeing them operating in wolfpacks; they were supposedly designed to be something you could ramp up production of and send in large numbers against Borg cubes or Romulan invasion fleets or what-have-you.

The Defiant isn't the fastest ship, it can only go Warp 9.5 (holy poo poo writers, a whole tenth of warp? Sure you don't want to bump it up to 9.55 so it doesn't lag too far behind the Enterprise? The loving war will be over by the time the Defiant shows up!). I think the real drawback though was that a Defiant isn't very comfortable (and probably doesn't have the supply capacity) to be aboard for a long exploration mission and it is about as capable of collecting science as a runabout.

That said, I think they should have limited it to Warp 9 and had an "O'Brien is away and the station is falling apart again" episode where O'Brien had to go to the Antares Ship Yards* to explain how to jury rig the new-build Defiants to not shake your space-fillings out above Warp 8. I also think it would be interesting to have an episode of a post DS9 show have a captain bitter that he was assigned to a Defiant that now drags around a science module on a cable like a towed-sonar-array and can only go Warp 7 because its now peacetime and Starfleet has a bunch of brand new warships they don't really need and then have the captain's eyes light up when something happens that requires jettisoning the module and using the ship for its intended purpose.

*Yes, I had to look that up