Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

pacmania90 posted:

A sincerely held religious belief apparently doesn't have to be correct, or even consistent to be considered valid.

Indeed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4f5ewIYYuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol also how crazy is a conspiracy theory that the Clinton campaign invented BHO

I'm digging the revisionist history.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Never said it was, and that's why I'm worried about LGBTQ discrimination.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

I'm digging the revisionist history.

Clearly since you're the one who constantly spouts it.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Wikkheiser posted:

Looking more into it, they're part of a new attempt to kickstart a neo-Nazi movement with the main networking heft being done by a group called Identity Evropa. It's pretty interesting structurally. Youth-oriented and horizontally distributed with the focus on specific cities. During the fall semester they plan to do coordinated flyering and leaflets on campuses, that sort of thing. Baby steps.

Mostly they find each other on Twitter and the invite-only TRS forum. Idea being to take the forumers and Twitter users and connect them at the local level and have them take it from there. Also, a very deliberate co-opting of left-wing language like "safe spaces" and "occupying space." Also a bit more ideologically flexible, although it's deffo a Nazi movement, but more flexible than say the National Alliance.

They did a big thing at UC Berkeley a few months ago. Here's a long-form article.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/01/obama-hillary-w.html

Lol

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
edit: wrong thread

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I don't think the Bible really says all that.

This isn't really a battle you're going to win: the Bible has plenty to say about gender roles and hierarchies, and it's really not a huge leap if you believe in strict gender hierarchies to believe that changing your gender is a violation of God's plan.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sounds like they're just mad that she defeated God

Sounds like a great employee to me

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
The arzying over today's Trump speech is ridiculous. Even with the assumption that Trump will magically stay on message now that Bannon's on board (he won't), the message itself that he's selling is the reason he's so far down in the polls. Trump is losing by large margins because he has alienated literally every demographic except old white men. Choosing Bannon is essentially a sign of defeat: he's completely given up on trying to get anyone outside his hardcore supporters to vote for him, and he's focusing on finding an out that makes him look like winner even if he loses. Rallying your base works if you have enough of them to win an election (or in his case, a small plurality against a divided field), but he doesn't. It's over.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's cute that politics began in 2008 for you

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

It's cute that politics began in 2008 for you

Nice deflection.

Hillary did some shady poo poo v Obama in 2008. Really dark poo poo. People might even call it . . . Trumpist

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

HorseRenoir posted:

The arzying over today's Trump speech is ridiculous. Even with the assumption that Trump will magically stay on message now that Bannon's on board (he won't), the message itself that he's selling is the reason he's so far down in the polls. Trump is losing by large margins because he has alienated literally every demographic except old white men. Choosing Bannon is essentially a sign of defeat: he's completely given up on trying to get anyone outside his hardcore supporters to vote for him, and he's focusing on finding an out that makes him look like winner even if he loses. Rallying your base works if you have enough of them to win an election (or in his case, a small plurality against a divided field), but he doesn't. It's over.

His handler is a Brietbart stooge for fucks sake. Everyone who doesn't have their head stuck up the right wing fart box knows Brietbart is full of poo poo. If that's the message Trump wants then that's the one he can have.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shbobdb posted:

Nice deflection.

Hillary did some shady poo poo v Obama in 2008. Really dark poo poo. People might even call it . . . Trumpist

Trump's current thing seems to be carrying stupid grudges over petty poo poo nobody gives a drat about.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody gives a flying fucj about Clinton 08 except a bunch of Paulite losers who neither party wants

Way to virtue signal everybody into knowing they can just ignore your links you don't elaborate on. Maybe next you can post some YouTube videos carefully pasted in so that they don't embed lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Nice deflection.

Proven by an Obama ad, got it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

His handler is a Brietbart stooge for fucks sake. Everyone who doesn't have their head stuck up the right wing fart box knows Brietbart is full of poo poo. If that's the message Trump wants then that's the one he can have.

For Trump it's not really about a message, it's about having a yes-man in charge that will let Trump be Trump instead of trying to groom him for a general electorate. And look where Trump being Trump has gotten him on the national stage.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ErIog posted:

Never said it was, and that's why I'm worried about LGBTQ discrimination.

That's fair, it was really more of a "the slog might be really loving long"

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

Nice deflection.

No.

I mean, if you're and idiot, then yeah. If you're not, maybe partly.

But no.

Boon fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 19, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure Obama endorsed Hillary for president because he likes Trumpism that must be it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Since Breitbart is in charge of Trump, will we see a shocking undercover film soon that's been edited to gently caress and comes to illsupported conclusions?
I'm really anxious to see BreitFeed's We Walked into a Liberal's Backyard And You Won't Guess What Happened Next videoblog post

Dimebags Brain posted:

have you heard that loving abominable kick drum sound on the new track?
Is it an evolution of Saint Anger's Drumming on Trash Cans ethos?

Can't wait to illegally pirate and burn copies of that album because I'm still salty about Napster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FilthyImp posted:

Is it an evolution of Saint Anger's Drumming on Trash Cans ethos?

I've always thought they were drumming on kickballs they stole from a school.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A bunch of doughy fatbodies, truly the master race.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Back row, 4th from the left... that's Garrison, isn't it? Why on earth would they pick a definitely not-a-nazi person like that?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol also how crazy is a conspiracy theory that the Clinton campaign invented BHO

Butane Hash Oil? Now I'm definitely all in on Clinton

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Unkempt posted:

Back row, 4th from the left... that's Garrison, isn't it? Why on earth would they pick a definitely not-a-nazi person like that?

Its a wweird meme /pol/ does to hold Ben Garrison as there own voice and photoshop his cartoons to be a billion times more racist then they already are

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

HorseRenoir posted:

Well, the Trump headlines this morning are all variations of "Trump regrets comments" and I'm going to go out on a limb to say this wasn't the result they were looking for.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
A bit of an offshoot of the whole Ukrainian Party of Regions ledgers that had Manafort in them: allegedly they also paid Larry King $225,000 to interview then-PM Azarov.
https://twitter.com/MaximEristavi/status/766555434966659072

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

OddObserver posted:

A bit of an offshoot of the whole Ukrainian Party of Regions ledgers that had Manafort in them: allegedly they also paid Larry King $225,000 to interview then-PM Azarov.

That kids loving shirt.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

OddObserver posted:

I wonder if he paid tax on that.

I'm presuming Manafort didn't pay tax on any of it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Iron Lung posted:

Someone tweet this thread at the guy, he's arzying real hard!

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/766448873908953092

Few pages back, but this is what really worries me about Trump. He's not getting anywhere near the White House, but the wave of delusional Nazi-esque crowds that will be dumbfounded and angered after he fails is the real danger. The damage he's already done will take years to undo.

Unkempt posted:

He's a massive racist, defender of MRA assholes, worshiper of Lord Trump-sama, and all around hyper-right wing cheerleader. He isn't quite up to their level, but he's still horrible enough to earn their respect.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

pacmania90 posted:

A sincerely held religious belief apparently doesn't have to be correct, or even consistent to be considered valid.

That was what was so maddening about the Hobby Lobby case. Their belief (hormonal BC works by causing abortions) was factually incorrect in a provable way.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm guessing the camera man has a Shkreli face, a selfie would clear that up

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

exploding mummy posted:

The trend for pro wrestling is onsessed older people with a ton of disposable income.

Alot of the poor white men have also basically quit watching.

They actually had an article about the WWE making an anti-immigrant character the villain for a season and promoting Latino wrestlers because apparently, 40% of the WWE audience is Latino.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Shifty Pony posted:

That was what was so maddening about the Hobby Lobby case. Their belief (hormonal BC works by causing abortions) was factually incorrect in a provable way.

I thought the Hobby Lobby case was essentially about morning after type pills that would prevent an already fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus? Is your objection that abortions are about embryos rather than zygotes? (Honest question, I haven't really thought about this too much so far.)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah that was another case of pushing loathsome conservative values (punishing women for having the audacity to want sexual agency) and then working backwards into figuring out how to implement it legally and force it on people. The case against Hobby Lobby had to admit that yes there was an incredibly small chance that a fertilized egg could not attach to the uterine wall (even though that's not the purpose of the medicine) because their argument was based on reality and fact. So they took that and misrepresented the argument that since there was this tiny chance that their Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs were being violated by having to pay for women's "abortion pills." Of course they WEREN'T paying for them, the health plans were just allowing women to buy them at the bargained rate you get with insurance instead of the absurd at cost rate drug companies charge. Additionally the real hypocrisy is that they don't give a shot about making sure their employees never smoke,drink, or take Ibuprofen because there's the tiny change they can cause miscarriages and maybe a woman got pregnant and doesn't realize it yet?

Anytime you hear someone objecting to something based on Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs it's almost always just assholes trying to push their social views on other people regarding things that doesn't affect them or is straight up bigotry. "Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs" is just a dog whistle for "conservative white culture" and has generally nothing to do with any religious teachings except when you scour the bible and find one out of context passage you can use. Remember racism and integration were the things that pissed off Evangelicals and got this sort of "you can't force me to race mix it's against the Bible" into politics.

botany posted:

I thought the Hobby Lobby case was essentially about morning after type pills that would prevent an already fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus? Is your objection that abortions are about embryos rather than zygotes? (Honest question, I haven't really thought about this too much so far.)

That's not how it works!! The amount of misinformation the religious right has done concerning the morning after pill is so frustrating. The designed effect of the morning after pill is to stop fertilization of the egg just like the regular birth control pill. It's literally an extra large does of regular birth control. The reason it's called the morning after pill is because you need to take it very soon after sex in order for it to be effective. Unlike with popular media, when you have sex the sperm doesn't shoot into the egg immediately it hangs out in the body for some time and eventually fertilizes the egg. The morning after pill stops the egg from dropping and so the sperm doesn't do anything. If the woman is currently ovulation the morning after pill doesn't work. Yes there's a tiny chance it stops a federalized egg from attaching causing "an abortion" if you want to be incredibly, incredibly generous with that term but it's not the effect and the chance of that is small. Many other drugs can also cause this but the religious right doesn't give a poo poo about those because they aren't giving women sex "for free."

Not trying to be rude since I'm sure you are asking this honestly but this frustrates me a huge deal because allowing these religious bigots their Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs results in mistruths being propagated to help their terrible ideals and hurt women.

Listen to old men talk about how birth control should be "an aspirin between the legs" and you'll understand why they give a poo poo about any of this.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 19, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Radish posted:

Yeah that was another case of pushing loathsome conservative values (punishing women for having the audacity to want sexual agency) and then working backwards into figuring out how to implement it legally and force it on people. The case against Hobby Lobby had to admit that yes there was an incredibly small chance that a fertilized egg could not attach to the uterine wall because their argument was based on reality and fact. So they took that and misrepresented the argument that since there was this tiny chance that their Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs were being violated by having to pay for women's "abortion pills." Of course they WEREN'T paying for them, the health plans were just allowing women to buy them at the bargained rate you get with insurance instead of the absurd at cost rate drug companies charge. Additionally the real hypocrisy is that they don't give a shot about making sure their employees never smoke,drink, or take Ibuprofen because there's the tiny change they can cause miscarriages and maybe a woman got pregnant and doesn't realize it yet?

Anytime you hear someone objecting to something based on Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs it's almost always just assholes trying to push their social views on other people regarding things that doesn't affect them or is straight up bigotry. "Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs" is just a dog whistle for "conservative white culture" and has generally nothing to do with any religious teachings except when you scour the bible and find one out of context passage you can use. Remember racism and integration were the things that pissed off Evangelicals and got this sort of "you can't force me to race mix it's against the Bible" into politics.

Hobby Lobby wasn't decided based on either of the cases presented. All justices involved knew going in exactly how they were going to vote, and if necessary worked backwards from there.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

Hobby Lobby wasn't decided based on either of the cases presented. All justices involved knew going in exactly how they were going to vote, and if necessary worked backwards from there.

Yeah exactly but we have to pretend that they rule on these sorts of cases based on reason and Constitutional law (also Scalia's Ouiji board).

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Radish posted:

Yeah exactly but we have to pretend that they rule on these sorts of cases based on reason and Constitutional law (also Scalia's Ouiji board).

A gay ghost told Scalia to gently caress gay people and he took it the entirely wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Radish posted:

Yes there's a tiny chance it stops a federalized egg from attaching causing "an abortion" if you want to be incredibly, incredibly generous with that term but it's not the effect and the chance of that is small.

So eggs are like the reproductive equivalent to the National Guard?

• Locked thread