Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

That's not how it works!! The amount of misinformation the religious right has done concerning the morning after pill is so frustrating. The designed effect of the morning after pill is to stop fertilization of the egg just like the regular birth control pill. It's literally an extra large does of regular birth control. The reason it's called the morning after pill is because you need to take it very soon after sex in order for it to be effective. Unlike with popular media, when you have sex the sperm doesn't shoot into the egg immediately it hangs out in the body for some time and eventually fertilizes the egg. The morning after pill stops the egg from dropping and so the sperm doesn't do anything. If the woman is currently ovulation the morning after pill doesn't work. Yes there's a tiny chance it stops a federalized egg from attaching causing "an abortion" if you want to be incredibly, incredibly generous with that term but it's not the effect and the chance of that is small. Many other drugs can also cause this but the religious right doesn't give a poo poo about those because they aren't giving women sex "for free."

Not trying to be rude since I'm sure you are asking this honestly but this frustrates me a huge deal because allowing these religious bigots their Sincerely Held Religious Beliefs results in mistruths being propagated to help their terrible ideals and hurt women.

Listen to old men talk about how birth control should be "an aspirin between the legs" and you'll understand why they give a poo poo about any of this.

I see, thanks! For the record, I was not trying to say that Hobby Lobby was correctly decided, but my main objection up to this point was that Hobby Lobby was never forced to actually demonstrate undue burden, the majority simply assumed that undue burden was present (it wasn't). I hadn't thought about the case from the viewpoint of sincerely held belief vs. biological reality, so your post was really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Why won't Bernie release his finances? What does he have to hide? Talk about making GBS threads all over your own principles of transparency haha. I can't believe Bernie Goons raised $40,000 for this clown and some guy in the Bernie thread had cut his grocery budget to donate more to Bernie!

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Regarding the Hobby Lobby thing: fundamentalists of any stripe rely (for some reason) on women being denied education and opportunity. Actually I don't know how this benefits anyone, but they don't know how birth control works, so I guess it all works out.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hulk Krogan posted:

I haven't read very much from Jezebel but they posted an obvious troll article today to the effect of "why couldn't they call it No Woman's Sky!?" and people who like to complain about trigger warnigns are flipping the gently caress out, so they're cool in my book.

http://jezebel.com/why-isnt-it-called-no-womans-sky-1785411230

for reference

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

djw175 posted:

A gay ghost told Scalia to gently caress gay people and he took it the entirely wrong way.

Commanded by a Gay Ghost sounds like a black metal song.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Poltergayst

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Commanded by a Gay Ghost sounds like a black metal song.

Or a Chuck Tingle book.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

botany posted:

I see, thanks! For the record, I was not trying to say that Hobby Lobby was correctly decided, but my main objection up to this point was that Hobby Lobby was never forced to actually demonstrate undue burden, the majority simply assumed that undue burden was present (it wasn't). I hadn't thought about the case from the viewpoint of sincerely held belief vs. biological reality, so your post was really helpful.

Oh yeah I know you weren't, it's just something that really gets me riled when I hear it. It's just a misconception that has been allowed to fester because these fucks are specifically trying to do make birth control (ALL birth control) an abortion issue because any sexual agency of women is too much and sex should have consequences. It's very intentional and I just try to point it out when I can.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You know we're all adults here and you can say hosed.
Phone autocorrects it to ducked

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radish posted:

Oh yeah I know you weren't, it's just something that really gets me riled when I hear it. It's just a misconception that has been allowed to fester because these fucks are specifically trying to do make birth control (ALL birth control) an abortion issue because any sexual agency of women is too much and sex should have consequences. It's very intentional and I just try to point it out when I can.
I also like to point out that prior to agreeing to get involved in this case, Hobby Lobby actually did offer contraception and other women's health coverage.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Not sure how long Bannon can keep it up, but it looks like they've managed to take away Trump's Android device. Nothing has been picked up by the @realrealDonaldTrump bot since he called himself Mr Brexit. This pivot could last!*

*someone get the Idris Elba gif prepped

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did someone say Trump Nazis?

White supremacist covered in Nazi skinhead tattoos stabs interracial couple he saw kissing at a bar in Olympia, WA. When the police caught up to him, he started yelling about Donald Trump and attacking people at BLM protests.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I need to find out where these idiots have their meetings and go gently caress with them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sir Tonk posted:

I need to find out where these idiots have their meetings and go gently caress with them.

I'm sure they're already infiltrated by feds.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

Did someone say Trump Nazis?

White supremacist covered in Nazi skinhead tattoos stabs interracial couple he saw kissing at a bar in Olympia, WA. When the police caught up to him, he started yelling about Donald Trump and attacking people at BLM protests.

I was just about to post this. And so it beginscontinues. :smith:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:rip: Paul Manafort.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/766635989037092867

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Dasvidanya

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

fits my needs posted:

Why won't Bernie release his finances? What does he have to hide? Talk about making GBS threads all over your own principles of transparency haha. I can't believe Bernie Goons raised $40,000 for this clown and some guy in the Bernie thread had cut his grocery budget to donate more to Bernie!

Who scammed more money from goons: Bernie, Doobie, or Chris Roberts?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
How long did he last?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder how many years this campaign has taken off of Paul Manafort's life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

Like from stress or polonium?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Pakled posted:

not enough

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ZobarStyl posted:

Not sure how long Bannon can keep it up, but it looks like they've managed to take away Trump's Android device. Nothing has been picked up by the @realrealDonaldTrump bot since he called himself Mr Brexit. This pivot could last!*

*someone get the Idris Elba gif prepped

So how long can they keep Trump from making a complete rear end of himself? How long can Trump stop being a complete tyrant to his staff?

Pakled posted:

If he's as scummy as we think, not enough.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Pakled posted:

If only it had started preemptively.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on when McCannon will be sacked? Bonus prizes for anyone who can accurately call his successor :)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

How long did he last?

Less than two months.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
now taking bets on whether he switches out campaign managers again before this is all over

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is really really bad timing on the Manafort poo poo given he's mid campaign pivot. Good work.

Remember when Michael Cohen made himself a national laughing stock defending "This is not a campaign shakeup".

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rostov-na-Donu is lovely this time of the year.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Does the Trump campaign still downplay Manafort's ties to Russia? Or do they attempt to spin that they ousted a traitorous agent trying to take Trump's campaign down from the inside?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

:rip: Paul Manafort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJESLxEd0Tk&t=13s

Violator
May 15, 2003

Radish posted:

Listen to old men talk about how birth control should be "an aspirin between the legs" and you'll understand why they give a poo poo about any of this.

I've never understood what this is supposed to mean. Around the whole "the body can shut it down" stuff, I think I remember an old man with some degree of power saying women should just put an aspirin between their knees. Is this a way of saying women can avoid pregnancy by keeping their legs closed?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Says who?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Violator posted:

I've never understood what this is supposed to mean. Around the whole "the body can shut it down" stuff, I think I remember an old man with some degree of power saying women should just put an aspirin between their knees. Is this a way of saying women can avoid pregnancy by keeping their legs closed?

Yes

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Imagine how tightly you would have to keep your legs closed to hold an aspirin there.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Dork457 posted:

Does the Trump campaign still downplay Manafort's ties to Russia? Or do they attempt to spin that they ousted a traitorous agent trying to take Trump's campaign down from the inside?

In a sane campaign, it'd be the former - pretend this all has to do with whatever the political equivalent of "creative differences" is.

The latter implies that Trump somehow didn't notice the MASSIVE RED FLAGS in the first place.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
a candidate for a major party had his campaign manager quit in AUGUST

amazing, amazing

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
When was the last time a major party presidential candidate replaced their campaign manager twice?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Comrade Manafort must have just signed an exclusive book deal.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Violator posted:

Todd Akin was 4 years ago to the day basically, remember when saying something like that was enough to sink your campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Resigns?!? How did we not get a public "You're fired" out of this?

So Trump not only sucks at (extreme) vetting of his campaign staff, but he now sucks at even his own branding. And that is pretty much the only thing he's ever been successful at.

• Locked thread