Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mo_Steel posted:

Thinking of picking this up again what with the upcoming release, but historically I get worn down at having to click a billion times to kill things and run around when I just want to sit and melt faces. Summoner still the most passive way to play, or should I look at a splitting arrow archer to fan out a billion arrows?

I recommend Righteous Fire totems. Place two totems, stand back while everything melts. Move to the next screen and repeat. If you're feeling a little more active then you can drop a Searing Bond totem, Orb of Storms for the Elemental Overload buff, or (Vaal?) Lightning Trap to trigger the Elemental Equilibrium debuff. Those aren't usually worth doing on anything except rares and bosses though.

Personally I found it a bit too passive to play (still got to 85 or so) but that sounds like what you're asking for so go wild!

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's not just passive, it is also clunky in the clearspeed era- there are lots of ways to ramp up the damage of RF totems (EE, EOverload, Daresso's Passion...), but you're still limited by the need to place them and then wait for the totems to cast RF

even with three totems I found it really clunky

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
there is always a ghudda build if you want just broken totem poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhksmt5FQU0

only one death on his uber attempt, and I blame his insistence on using no movement speed on his boots

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
God, Voidheart is such a stupid loving item, I have no idea why they made it that powerful haha

It basically more than doubles the dps of any melee physical based build, which mostly has the effect of making EQ even dumber than it already is

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

The Real Foogla posted:

there is always a ghudda build if you want just broken poo poo

Here, I fixed it for you.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there a way to unbind the loving melee attack from left mouse click so that clicking only moves you? I keep dying or almost dying because my 0-damage melee attack hero likes to whack things for no reason with their overly-generous click boxes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

BabyRyoga posted:

Is there a way to unbind the loving melee attack from left mouse click so that clicking only moves you? I keep dying or almost dying because my 0-damage melee attack hero likes to whack things for no reason with their overly-generous click boxes.

Yeah, click the skill icon for left mouse and change it to move only.
e. This icon

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I haven't really been paying attention to the new expansion, I vaguely know it's got new mapping stuff which sounds fun. But as a fairly new player I'm wondering, is there anything in the crafting stuff for 'regular' players? Granted I probably played way more/got way further than the average player this league since it was summer, I was new to the game and I quite enjoyed the game overall (I cleared an Abyss map for example which I imagine very few even get to try), but I definitely never even tried crafting rares. Spending Exalts wasn't a reasonable option at all and I generally had better stuff to use Chaos on too. Is the new crafting system that's apparently coming with the Atlas of Worlds looking to be similarly restrictive?

E: To be clear, I'm mostly wondering if we know whether new crafting stuff is gonna be in the 'valuable but you'll see them' category like Chaos/Vaal/Fusing/Blessed/etc, or if the primary method of crafting will be locked behind something incredibly rare like Exalts where you very well might see 0 - 2 actually drop in a whole League depending on luck/play-time. Or require some tough endgame achievement like clearing t16 map.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 19, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
From the looks of it the essence items, used in the new crafting, will be pretty common and have similar effects to alch/chaos orbs. Of course creating top end items will be similarly restrictive as it currently is, but creating mid range rares will probably be easier than ever since there are so many tiers of the essences.

e: And for clarification, this isn't a brand new crafting system, just another wrinkle on top of the current one.

cytoc
Apr 3, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Yeah, click the skill icon for left mouse and change it to move only.
e. This icon

Making this change and also clicking on the body at the start of the Twilight Stand is how I start out every character.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What is the deal with Strongboxes? Just had a map with No Monsters, 36 Extra Strongboxes. 35 of them absolutely blew, one had a Blessed Orb in it. I don't quite understand how i'll get a box that says Items inside have increased rarity %3948, Contains 6 additional items, Box level +5, and then when I clear all the monsters, it's completely empty or contains 1 white item and a portal scroll.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

BabyRyoga posted:

Once you get a golem skill (in act 4 if you haven't already) you can set that to left mouse as the golem only gets cast on shift-click. So you can click on as many enemies as you want and your character will move instead of casting or attacking.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

BabyRyoga posted:

What is the deal with Strongboxes? Just had a map with No Monsters, 36 Extra Strongboxes. 35 of them absolutely blew, one had a Blessed Orb in it. I don't quite understand how i'll get a box that says Items inside have increased rarity %3948, Contains 6 additional items, Box level +5, and then when I clear all the monsters, it's completely empty or contains 1 white item and a portal scroll.

what you do is reroll them for Exile (ideally also +level), get the Exile summons Warbands prophecy for each (you can add them while you are in the map) and enjoy the 36 boxes full of warbands bases

do this in a tier 15 map for extra cash

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

BabyRyoga posted:

I've reached the end game in Prophecy League, not really sure how to progress now. My gear is complete trash, I don't think i've replaced a piece since before Cruel even started. I went this build, since it allows me to sit back and drop totems from a safe distance while I learn about the game. I can clear a T2 or T3 map with no mods without dying if I am cautious, but my char is pretty much paper right now.

If you want you can always post a link to your account on the poe website. Make sure your account isnt set to private and your character page is public as well and we can give you more specific advice.

gonadic io posted:

Here, I fixed it for you.

Ghudda seems to alternate between amazingly strong builds and dogshit. Very little in between.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

As you probably know, PoE has gone multi-core meaning it's a lot better at utilizing your cpu. So if you're dumb like me and run a stock cooler on your cpu, you should probably do something about that. I was getting annoyed about my core i5 throttling under load so I replaced the stock cooler with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo.

Before and after pics (current/min/max):

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

voltron lion force posted:

From the looks of it the essence items, used in the new crafting, will be pretty common and have similar effects to alch/chaos orbs. Of course creating top end items will be similarly restrictive as it currently is, but creating mid range rares will probably be easier than ever since there are so many tiers of the essences.

e: And for clarification, this isn't a brand new crafting system, just another wrinkle on top of the current one.

Alright, that sounds probably ideal then. Looking forward to trying it out early in the League before things get so cheap it's much easier to buy something mediocre than craft it anyway.

I gotta admit I still find it kinda weird that Exalts are the super amazingly rare/expensive crafting reagent and Divines are just kinda uncommon rather than the other way around, but I suppose the 'only being able to reroll within tiers' part of Divine explains it. Personally I'd be interested in seeing what would happen if they introduced a currency of Exalt rarity that randomized the tiers of an item's rolls, and experimented with making Exalts more common similar to the other currencies. I'd say their League format is ideal for this kinda experimentation, but I guess it runs into the issue with temp leagues that if it turns out more common Exalts ruin the economy, they won't be 'gone' at the end of the League, but rather wreak havoc on Standard economy for an indeterminable amount of time instead. Although there's probably enough on Standard already to withstand the influx okay.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TheRat posted:

As you probably know, PoE has gone multi-core meaning it's a lot better at utilizing your cpu. So if you're dumb like me and run a stock cooler on your cpu, you should probably do something about that. I was getting annoyed about my core i5 throttling under load so I replaced the stock cooler with a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo.

Alright. Now turn your boost clock up to 4.0

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gibbo posted:

Alright. Now turn your boost clock up to 4.0

It's a 3570 non-k, it's rather limited in what it lets me do.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

TheRat posted:

You should be able to squeak out another 200 by just turning your base clock up a bit, if it's multi locked.

Edit: just realized that the after Temps were at idle. I still think 200 should be doable with just raising the bclck a bit but that depends on what load temps actually look like

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 19, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

TheRat posted:

I got a 4690k for super cheap awhile back, and I'm ashamed to admit I've never bothered messing with it. I should do that.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Hauki posted:

I got a 4690k for super cheap awhile back, and I'm ashamed to admit I've never bothered messing with it. I should do that.

Easiest chip to OC I've ever worked with if you just want a quick and dirty extra little bit. Getting into the upper 4. X has been annoying though (and considering I hate having extra heat in my room I took it up there once and then went back to something reasonable.)

Hell, Intel XTU makes it beyond simple if you don't want to dick about in bios (or have a poo poo motherboard)

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When is the new race season gonna be up?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
The currently running Flashback Solo race is the last one, ends at 4PM today.

Ignore me, I can't calendar good

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 19, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

whypick1 posted:

The currently running Flashback Solo race is the last one, ends at 4PM today.

what? no? the 48 hour flashback race starts in 34 minutes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

ButtWolf posted:

When is the new race season gonna be up?

race seasons used to be inbetween challenge leagues, I guess we'll find out later in essence if they add another inside a challenge league

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I just got back, I decide to just do a few and got the 10pt reward. I plan on doing more when they start another. Quite fun.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Easiest chip to OC I've ever worked with if you just want a quick and dirty extra little bit. Getting into the upper 4. X has been annoying though (and considering I hate having extra heat in my room I took it up there once and then went back to something reasonable.)

Hell, Intel XTU makes it beyond simple if you don't want to dick about in bios (or have a poo poo motherboard)

I got an asrock z97e as part of a discounted package deal with it, and uh a phanteks...tc12dx? I don't remember honestly and I don't wanna pop the case open right now. I bumped it up to 4.0 to start and it's been running stable through testing for a half hour at 50c. In having to relearn a bunch of poo poo because the last time I did any of this was with a C2Duo like a decade ago.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auCw1MiTV_Y

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

TheRat posted:

Before and after pics (current/min/max):

Lmao that's more like it

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

I think I can hear his video card dying in the background.

Also took me a second to realize how he staged that.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

The Real Foogla posted:

race seasons used to be inbetween challenge leagues, I guess we'll find out later in essence if they add another inside a challenge league

Race seasons have always started during challenge leagues. Except for the league they skipped entirely and all the racers got butthurt about it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
God that's beautiful.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Threw another 650 Fusings into the 6L grind today, at this point it would have been cheaper to just buy a 6L coil much less use the master recipe. :saddowns: Of course, I've never had that much currency at one time so hey.

Game has no new player mercy!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Seems pretty stable at 4.6ghz/1.23V. Averaging ~72c under a full load from synthetics, topping out at 75c. I guess I'll try pushing it a little more? I dunno.

Edit: Nope, 46x seems to be the wall, can't go past it even at 1.25 and given my cooling I dunno that I want to go past that.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 19, 2016

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
So I just realized how incredibly lovely it would be to try and run crit lowlife ice trap; I would need BBGGGG in a 6L shavs, which sounds all kinds of horrible

The vorici chrome calc is estimating I'd need an average of 940 or so.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Mystery Prize posted:

So I just realized how incredibly lovely it would be to try and run crit lowlife ice trap; I would need BBGGGG in a 6L shavs, which sounds all kinds of horrible

The vorici chrome calc is estimating I'd need an average of 940 or so.

The optimal links for Poison Blade Vortex in a Cospri's Will are Blade Vortex - Increased Duration - Increased AoE - Spell Echo - Controlled Destruction - Life Leech/Empower. GRRBBB, and Cospri's needs slightly more dex than Shav's needs int.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
God drat, that blows, haha

Mine is sort of doable; it's about 1 ex worth of chromes, which isn't entirely horrible when you consider the cost of a 6L shavs itself

Edit: does anyone know what the base aoe of ice trap is? It isn't listed on the wiki.

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 19, 2016

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
Has anyone played a CI Essence Drain build? I'm wondering if the skills built in regen works with ghost reaver keystone to regen ES or not

Also, are Bows considered 1 handers or 2handers?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Hauki posted:

Seems pretty stable at 4.6ghz/1.23V. Averaging ~72c under a full load from synthetics, topping out at 75c. I guess I'll try pushing it a little more? I dunno.

Edit: Nope, 46x seems to be the wall, can't go past it even at 1.25 and given my cooling I dunno that I want to go past that.

See, super easy. I'm on a full water setup and I have to throw a surprising amount of voltage at it to get up to 4.7+. I usually run it around 4.5 just so my load temps are still pretty low.

4.6 is pretty much the standard percentile chip. People have found stinkers that can't even do 4.4. Imagine buying one and finding that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

climboutonalimb posted:

Has anyone played a CI Essence Drain build? I'm wondering if the skills built in regen works with ghost reaver keystone to regen ES or not

Also, are Bows considered 1 handers or 2handers?

Zealot's Oath is regen -> ES, Ghost Reaver is life leech -> ES. But yes, it will work.

Bows are 2H

Mystery Prize posted:

Edit: does anyone know what the base aoe of ice trap is? It isn't listed on the wiki.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1616976/page/44

quote:

Ice Trap appears to have a base radius of effect somewhere in the range of 15 to 17, based on the explosion graphic as measured inside an Elreon hideout using the square floor tiles to help measure. My guess is that the base radius is 16, slightly larger than Fire Trap which has a base radius of 15.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 19, 2016

• Locked thread