Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

U got a real optimistic world view if that's the worst in human life

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperbole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't see the problem. I don't know who Zendaya is, but couldn't she just dye her hair red if it's that important? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't see the problem. I don't know who Zendaya is, but couldn't she just dye her hair red if it's that important? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Its because the red hair thing isn't actually the problem. Its a way for people to complain about a non-white actress being cast without having to actually say it. Kirstin Dunst isn't a redhead either but nobody had any problem with her being cast because anyone can have red hair in a movie. There's a whole wig industry build around it.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I'm curious how much froth could be roused from angry nerd boys if Riri Williams steps up as the new Iron Man when RDJ says enough.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Noam Chomsky posted:

When I saw Civil War in the theater, two preteens sitting behind me were aghast and appalled that a young petite nerdy dude was playing Peter Parker

Comic Books bring out the worst in all human life. Who would've thought.
I sat by a guy who would quietly repeat lines before they happened because he saw them in the trailer

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm curious how much froth could be roused from angry nerd boys if Riri Williams steps up as the new Iron Man when RDJ says enough.

They won't because she's comic book accurate! It's about canon in comic movies not race okay!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

greatn posted:

Super feminist? Wasn't she just a shallow party girl who agreed to date Parker on a lark, and in fact put up with lots of poo poo when she didn't know he was Spider-man?

She was a second wave feminist for a good chunk of her early days, just, well, a second wave feminist as written by a bunch of dudes in the 70s.

She was never all that shallow either, just had a very defiant gently caress You Got Mine kind of personality.

This would of course come and go as things went on. She never really was just a pallet swap for Gwen, at least up to after Gwen's death.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Noam Chomsky posted:

When I saw Civil War in the theater, two preteens sitting behind me were aghast and appalled that a young petite nerdy dude was playing Peter Parker

Comic Books bring out the worst in all human life. Who would've thought.

Who do they think Peter Parker is?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I thought this may perhaps go here

http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/19/batmans-original-1960s-cast-are-reuniting-for-a-new-batman-movie-6079335/

'You might be familiar with the likes of Ben Affleck and Christian Bale as Batman – but for people of a certain age there was only one Caped Crusader, and that was Adam West.

And now the veteran actor is returning to the role that made him famous in the 1960s Batman TV series – and he’s reuniting with his former co-stars Burt Ward and Julie Newmar in the process.

Yup, the trio are returning to Gotham – in voice terms, at least – for new cartoon movie Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders.

Can I get pic from new Batman cartoon pls Credit: DC Entertainment
They’re looking a little different to their original TV incarnations (Picture: DC Entertainment)
The film sees them reprising the voices of Batman, Robin and Catwoman – while the film’s trailer, released exclusively by Entertainment Weekly, suggests that the likes of the Joker and the Riddler will also be putting in appearances.

It also hints that our heroic pair may have made a daring escape from a fiery fate – but we can’t tell you much more than that.

We do know that Adam West’s quite excited about it all though:

And we’re guessing it might look a little different from the 1966-68 TV series, where sights like this were all too familiar:

It’s all a far cry from the Caped Crusader’s more recent adventures in Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice:

Batman: Return Of The Caped Crusaders is due for DVD release in the US on October 11 and Blu-Ray on November 1 – although there’s no word yet on when we’ll see it here.'

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Detective No. 27 posted:

That wouldn't work because, you see, the people who complain are color blind.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

If she does dye her hair, I'll have to keep an eye out for John Byrne calling her a hooker.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Here is the trailer thing for Return of the Caped Crusaders
https://youtu.be/3jBbWoAtaWc

No idea why there isn't an official WB link.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who do they think Peter Parker is?

I had a friend who despised the Andrew Garfield take on Spider-Man because he was too much of a normal, relatable teenager. According to him, the essence of Peter Parker is that he's a peerless child genius who can accomplish feats of engineering unlike anybody else. Anything about Peter being a New York wiseguy, or an awkward dorky teen who gets a major confidence boost along with his powers... that was all distraction from Peter's inherent nature as a Randian super-inventor

Weird thoughts

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Just name her Makayla Jane to please the fans. Let them think Mary Jane is in the setting somewhere, studying in Vancouver or something.
Nah, gently caress those guys.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Jenny Angel posted:

I had a friend who despised the Andrew Garfield take on Spider-Man because he was too much of a normal, relatable teenager. According to him, the essence of Peter Parker is that he's a peerless child genius who can accomplish feats of engineering unlike anybody else. Anything about Peter being a New York wiseguy, or an awkward dorky teen who gets a major confidence boost along with his powers... that was all distraction from Peter's inherent nature as a Randian super-inventor

Weird thoughts

:lol: hwat the gently caress, did he hate Civil War Peter Parker too?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jenny Angel posted:

Weird thoughts

I know a guy who is exactly the same, had a same talking point and everything. Wacky.

I eventually softened him up to the point of agreeing that maybe it was ok if Peter's spider-instincts supplemented his hyper-intelligence and helped him invent a dissolving super-polymer with about a zillion industrial applications. But yeah, just like your friend this guy INSISTS that the core of Peter Parker is he's basically high-school Reed Richards, only nerdier.

What's bizarre to me is that this characterization of Peter - as a friendless smart nerd - went out the window really early in the character's life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What's bizarre to me is that this characterization of Peter - as a friendless smart nerd - went out the window really early in the character's life.

Even then, he was just a particularly smart kid who probably had a future in some sort of STEM career, not a super-genius on the level or Reed Richards right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

Even then, he was just a particularly smart kid who probably had a future in some sort of STEM career, not a super-genius on the level or Reed Richards right?

Peter Parker inventing web shooters is perfectly in-line with what "really smart people" can do in Comic Books of the 60s.

Like, Doc Ock managed to create 4 mind-controlled flexible metal arms that contain no apparent power source and have a range of motion that even modern-day mechanical engineers are jealous of. In 1963.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kurzon posted:

Just name her Makayla Jane to please the fans. Let them think Mary Jane is in the setting somewhere, studying in Vancouver or something.

The hilarious thing about this is that outside of Spider-Man I am aware of several more fictional and real black women named Mary Jane:

http://www.bet.com/shows/being-mary-jane.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Jane_Patterson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHPnUPFcxdE

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

:lol: hwat the gently caress, did he hate Civil War Peter Parker too?

I haven't talked to the guy in years because he got into some really weird poo poo in college and started talking about the power of perception and positivity and how you can choose not to be raped

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jenny Angel posted:

I haven't talked to the guy in years because he got into some really weird poo poo in college and started talking about the power of perception and positivity and how you can choose not to be raped

Holy poo poo, you didn't go to Grinnell did you?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Like, Doc Ock managed to create 4 mind-controlled flexible metal arms that contain no apparent power source and have a range of motion that even modern-day mechanical engineers are jealous of. In 1963.

I love the casualness – and I mean this sincerely – with which Doc Ock presents the brain-machine interface and mechanical arms in Spider-Man 2, like they're a reasonably clever invention, but not that big a deal.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Angel posted:

Can't imagine how you lost track of this treat of a human being

As far as PETER PARKER SUPER GENIUS goes

Yeah no, kid was just the regular kind of really smart nerd. Originally he didn't even invent the web fluid, it was just liquid cement because gently caress logic or reason.

Thinking on it, I'm not sure when they actually changed that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, you didn't go to Grinnell did you?

Hate to break it to you man, but there's more than one guy who starts thinking like that in college

Didn't go to Grinnell nah

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mary-Jane's hair

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sir Kodiak posted:

I love the casualness – and I mean this sincerely – with which Doc Ock presents the brain-machine interface and mechanical arms in Spider-Man 2, like they're a reasonably clever invention, but not that big a deal.

Aren't the Octo-Arms actually sentient? It's been a while, but I think he literally creates an actual artificial intelligence with the capability of forethought, emotions, and planning and it is so powerful he has to create an inhibitor chip. Once the inhibitor chip breaks the machine AI literally starts to control his brain. The engineering is so advanced that the arms have an unending power source and are able to react to split second timing decisions.

All of this is presented as a minor thing in support of his master plan to... make a smaller nuclear reactor!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Aren't the Octo-Arms actually sentient? It's been a while, but I think he literally creates an actual artificial intelligence with the capability of forethought, emotions, and planning and it is so powerful he has to create an inhibitor chip. Once the inhibitor chip breaks the machine AI literally starts to control his brain. The engineering is so advanced that the arms have an unending power source and are able to react to split second timing decisions.

All of this is presented as a minor thing in support of his master plan to... make a smaller nuclear reactor!

Hah, yeah.

And it's technically a fusion reactor, which would be pretty cool if it didn't require a fuel that was apparently massively rarer and more expensive than Uranium.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Noam Chomsky posted:

Maybe it hits too close to home for a real-life social competitor at their school or something.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

It's pretty funny that his investors look at what he did and decide that:

- Creating an artificial intelligence with true capability to learn, plan, and feel emotions.
- Revolutionizing engineering by creating a machine that is lightweight enough to be worn on his back, but strong enough to lift a train and contain a fusion reaction, while also maneuverable and tactile enough to manipulate objects like an additional set of hands.
- Literally inventing a successful method of mind control.
- Developing a neural network that allows human thoughts to control machinery.
- Creating a source of energy to power all of these devices that does not need to be replaced or recharged for weeks and suffers no reduction in output.

is not worth funding because the fusion reactor he developed is only partially stable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Scratch all that - they decided a fusion reactor that needed some work was not worth funding.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh we have an almost functioning fusion reactor?

Ah throw it away

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It's a comicbook standard. Oh you've invented a ray that uses almost no power and is completely portable and will instantly freeze any object of almost any size? Are you going to patent that and make a billion dollars in the transportation and refrigeration industries? No that's way too much effort so you're going to wear a silly costume and attempt to rob a jewellery store in an area that's patrolled by an incredibly violent costumed vigilante, awesome plan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a comicbook standard. Oh you've invented a ray that uses almost no power and is completely portable and will instantly freeze any object of almost any size? Are you going to patent that and make a billion dollars in the transportation and refrigeration industries? No that's way too much effort so you're going to wear a silly costume and attempt to rob a jewellery store in an area that's patrolled by an incredibly violent costumed vigilante, awesome plan.

These are not the same things though.

And it doesn't make the movie bad, just funny

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah but in comic book movie worlds you have poo poo like Tony Stark building a pocket unlimited energy source in a cave from spare parts not to mention all the world ending weapons. Nobody is settling for some half-finished second rate fusion reactor. They're looking for the next portal to the negative zone or whatever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alfred Molina's so good in that role.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but in comic book movie worlds you have poo poo like Tony Stark building a pocket unlimited energy source in a cave from spare parts not to mention all the world ending weapons. Nobody is settling for some half-finished second rate fusion reactor. They're looking for the next portal to the negative zone or whatever.

Excuse me sir, if you follow up with Iron Man 2 you'll see that Tony Stark did not invent an unlimited energy device in a cave from spare parts. The ARC reactor began to fail and he had to synthesize a new element to create an unlimited energy device in his basement.

Please be realistic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Burkion posted:

These are not the same things though.

Yeah that's true, I guess maybe it's an inversion of that. "I invented all this stuff and industry isn't interested in it? gently caress it I'm gonna kidnap old ladies and throw cars through cafes."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just to bring it back, the comic book people have whatever "smarts" they need to create the technology that enables their thematic association, so Ock makes Octopus Arms and the Vulture makes fully functioning bird wings(!!!!) and Iceboy the Icey Terror makes a cold gun. So yeah, Peter Parker would be a Randian Super Genius in our world but in his he's just a very bright STEM dude.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Toady posted:

Note the contradiction: a vigilante fighting for the law. The resolution to the cognitive dissonance is to believe that Batman, a wealthy criminal obsessed with a childhood trauma less severe than that carried by the average poor person in Gotham, is above the people he assaults because he stops short of killing them. Yet he'll never succeed in "working against the corruption" because it feels good to terrify thugs and break their limbs, both for Batman and for fans enjoying a certain kind of power fantasy. Batman needs his world to exist, and he'll never solve Gotham's problems because that would end the fun.

The only good portrayal of Batman I can think of off the top of my head--good as in he's genuinely a good guy trying to make a difference--is Batman '66, a legally deputized member of the Gotham PD who obsessively follows the letter of the law. The first episode is about Batman receiving a lawsuit after being tricked into falsely arresting the Riddler.

This is utter nonsense. Every superhero is a vigilante fighting for the law, Batman is not unique in that regard. Not to mention the no-killing thing applied across the entire DC Universe, not just Batman. Season 1 of Arrow made little sense when Oliver Queen was killing folks so they ended up backstepping and making him stop killing dudes.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Law and "an ethical code and goal, of some sort" aren't the same thing.

For that matter even law and the state aren't quite the same thing, unless you're incredibly cynical.

Batman works with the police but generally it's in an extra-legal manner. And when it isn't extra-legal, that's probably an indictment of the law, because beating people up to stop crimes is barbaric.

• Locked thread