Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Lechtansi posted:

The way things are headed, California is going to be on fire 24x7 so it might not be so seasonal after all :(

Wasn't the latest huge fire deliberately set by some whackjob? There was a blurb about it on the news last night but I didn't get to see more about it because "Whoop, time for more Olympic poo poo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I read an article on the fire on the beeb yesterday, and it just said it started in a dry canyon, not specifically how. I think they would have mentioned if it was intentional.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tracula posted:

This but unironically is what a lot of people think :(

Oh yeah, I've been in the Freep thread. They unironically wish that you could just kill anyone who's being problematic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just found out that Tony Perkins (shitlord extraordinaire who sincerely believes gays cause natural disasters) has lost his house in the big floods we've had in our state.

Apparently God either has terrible aim, gives no gently caress about friendly fire, or Tony is just not telling us something...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Just found out that Tony Perkins (shitlord extraordinaire who sincerely believes gays cause natural disasters) has lost his house in the big floods we've had in our state.

Apparently God either has terrible aim, gives no gently caress about friendly fire, or Tony is just not telling us something...

That's just God challenging his faith, though. Not a smiting at all.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Wasn't the latest huge fire deliberately set by some whackjob? There was a blurb about it on the news last night but I didn't get to see more about it because "Whoop, time for more Olympic poo poo!"

Yeah they caught some construction worker in Lake County who they believe is a serial arsonist who's set 12+ fires over the last year.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Scruff McGruff posted:

Ooooh yeah, that's the good stuff right there.

Problem: That guy actually deserved the medal. This is a bribery scandal, and they awarded the medal to the other guy after it was contested.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

C.M. Kruger posted:

Yeah they caught some construction worker in Lake County who they believe is a serial arsonist who's set 12+ fires over the last year.

I was just telling my fiance that one ISIL moron with a lighter could cause a shitload of damage in CA. Hopefully they actually caught the rear end in a top hat, if this was arson.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snapchat A Titty posted:

That's just God challenging his faith, though. Not a smiting at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsb2pMzwmdI

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

No loving way.

The DEA didn't reschedule weed, but at least the gods gave us something in return.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I thought California was a lovely progressive utopia?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Alternative pants posted:

I thought California was a lovely progressive utopia?

Only on the coast.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nothing is more progressive than indentured servants.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Like I mentioned earlier. After bringing OitNB this was really great news. I know, I know it's just a TV show and I'm sure a good deal is fictionalized but seeing how much everything went to poo poo after the prison went privately owned depressed the poo poo out of me.

But hey. It's a step on the right direction for once. Maybe, just maybe, we can avoid the future Robocop predicted though sans the actual Robocop and ED-209 we are getting goddamn close :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh yeah, I've been in the Freep thread. They unironically wish that you could just kill anyone who's being problematic.

I think most people feel this way about some "other" in society. The difference is a lot of people realize that it's a terrible idea for a variety of reasons and moral ethics is like forth or fifth down the list.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Trig Discipline posted:

I can see the financial logic from a state's perspective, but "hey let's create private companies that have a financial interest in keeping as many people in jail as possible, in a nation where corporate money is allowed to have massive influence on the political decision-making process" never sounded like a great idea to me.

Private vs. not-private prisons is entirely orthogonal to that. One of the chief opponents of marijuana legalization in California was the prison guard union...because they had a financial interest in keeping as many people in jail as possible. The prison guard union also was a huge supporter of California's three-strikes legislation that wound up vastly increasing the prison population. And it funded opposition to Proposition 5, which was a diversion program to keep non-violent drug offenders out of prison. Private prisons might be a stupid idea, but it's an issue that's not as important as huge incarceration rates and the laws that make purely consensual activities illegal in the first place.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Tracula posted:

Please don't tell me it gets worse :smith: The end of the tenth episode broke me like five different times in the span of 15 minutes.

get ready, it's going to get hosed up.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

It happened yet again.

http://democratherald.com/news/local/truck-clips-trestle-in-albany/article_b6789394-116e-57cf-95ff-ace4a1ce5e68.html

Yeah, "clips."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

quote:

"Nothing like this has ever happened to me," said Manning. "I'm very careful."
:yum:

And speak of the devil, the 11 foot 8 bridge gave a RV a haircut.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027W59y45sE

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Problem: That guy actually deserved the medal. This is a bribery scandal, and they awarded the medal to the other guy after it was contested.

It's already in the schadenfreude thread.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
nvm

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Volume posted:

No schadenfreude, just pure unadulterated joy.

Says you. Peep the stock of the company that owns the places. :unsmigghh:

https://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE%3AGEO

Edit:

KoRMaK posted:

The DEA didn't reschedule weed, but at least the gods gave us something in return.

Bonus 'freude on the US Federal Government:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-fbi-cant-find-hackers-that-dont-smoke-pot

TheRagamuffin has a new favorite as of 12:35 on Aug 19, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

They're okay. One attempting the murder ended up with a broken leg and hip and then charged with, well, attempted murder :v:.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got a link to that story?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I like how half of the bystanders run away from the edge as if they're going to fall in as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's probably more "I don't want to see someone die today."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Enos Cabell posted:

Got a link to that story?

Can't find any good English sources, but here's a presumably Mexican news clip. It happened five years ago, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnVnHCZozjM

And someone in this reddit thread translated it:

quote:

She said that "she stole my boyfriend".

That why she tried to throw her to the train tracks.

What a solution.

What a revenge.

Do not lose track of those women. Both were caught in the surveillance cameras of the Iztapalapa station platform last June 6th. It was 12:31pm whey you could see them arguing for a couple minutes. After that, one of them tries to make a phone call. The other one follows her, but it's alert to the arrival of the train. Then something unexpected happened. Just when the train was arriving to the station, the woman in black pushes the other to the tracks. The woman dressed as nurse resists, but the effort is in vain: both fall on the tracks. Thanks to the skill of the driver, it was possible to stop the train before running over them.

One woman was arguing with the other because she started an relationship with her ex-boyfriend and blamed her about the breakup. Incredibly, the woman in white gets up and with the help of one police officer, gets off the tracks and flees from the scene. Not long after, she is intercepted by the police, who immediately trasfers her to the police station/justice department. Subway cars are emptied at the moment and the woman in black, apparently hurt, stays under the train. She moves one of her legs and could be seen making a phone call. Afterwards, she is aided by paramedics and trasfered to Balbuena hospital in México City.

Both were very lucky. I'd say it's a miracle and a unique case. It's a very hard hit (they suffered). It could be deadly or cause severe concussions.

It is determined, based on the facts, that the woman in black had a murderous intent from the beggining. She takes a look two times to make sure the train is coming and be able to push the other woman.

Today, this woman Crystal Romero Alanis, 27, is locked up in the Santa Martha pentenciary and faces a process for qualified murder attempt and could spend 20 years in jail.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Kurieg posted:

"Whelp, that train's delayed, better find a better way to get where I'm going. No reason to stick around here."

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Or getting out of the splash zone.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Latest failarmy is out.

Pretty nasty car crash segment starts at 2:28 until 2:54.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA0Mcb8cWd0

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kurieg posted:

That's definitely what it is. I had the same reaction when I witnessed something similar and then my legs kinda stopped working properly and I had to sit down on a park bench and take some deep breaths.

You don't want to be in a foxhole with me, is what I'm saying.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Foxhound posted:

Latest failarmy is out.

Chicken with pants.

CHICKEN.

WITH PANTS.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Latest failarmy is out.

"They're Excited."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Foxhound posted:

Latest failarmy is out.

I understand the people who try to do a flip or skateboard fast or whatever and land on their head. That's pretty understandable, even if it's really dumb. They're trying to do a cool thing and it could work, at least in theory.

But I'll never understand someone who voluntarily drives their car into waist-deep water, or drives away with a boot on their wheel. What the gently caress. You're just guaranteed trashing your vehicle for no loving purpose. What goes through someone's head when they do something that stupid?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Foxhound posted:

Gotta say, that seemed out of line for what I'm used to from these videos. I'd be surprised if no one died in that accident.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Gotta say, that seemed out of line for what I'm used to from these videos. I'd be surprised if no one died in that accident.

Yes, you would be: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/horrifying-footage-captures-head-crash-8628717

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Well then I'm surprised.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DontMockMySmock posted:

But I'll never understand someone who voluntarily drives their car into waist-deep water, or drives away with a boot on their wheel. What the gently caress. You're just guaranteed trashing your vehicle for no loving purpose. What goes through someone's head when they do something that stupid?

Sometimes it works!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcsVzyb_skU

But then there's the British response...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bek_matBjf0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Am I understanding this correctly, his car was booted because he didn't pay his License fees, so he makes it literally undriveable in protest?