Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
What's a decent league starting build that will teach me how to not just run into the middle of every pack? I've played eq two leagues in a row now and even when I try casters I tend to just run in and try to face tank poo poo.

I have no idea where to even begin as a bow user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gibbo posted:

What's a decent league starting build that will teach me how to not just run into the middle of every pack? I've played eq two leagues in a row now and even when I try casters I tend to just run in and try to face tank poo poo.

Totems all the way. I've been antsy to start another totem build.

I finally got a sacrifice at midnight. Is the Apex the really hard Atziri fight? or is this a lower level one? Cause I can clear t5 maps with max 1 death (haven't had access to any harder ones).

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

ButtWolf posted:

I finally got a sacrifice at midnight. Is the Apex the really hard Atziri fight? or is this a lower level one? Cause I can clear t5 maps with max 1 death (haven't had access to any harder ones).

Yes, that's Atziri. Sac frags = regular Atziri. Mortal frags (only drop from regular Atziri) = uber Atziri.

Gibbo posted:

You could try a trap/mine build. Ice Trap is a super cheap one. Bladefall Poison mines is ridiculously OP. I played an Elementalist Firestorm trapper that was pretty good.

If you want to go bows, Lightning Arrow and Tornado Shot are great skills. One common setup for Lightning Arrow is to cast Frost Wall and shoot at it. Lightning Arrow hits wall, creates 3 projectiles, which seek out enemies. Combine this with Chain and LMP to melt the screen.

vvv So "hope for Exalt drops, sell for a shitload of chaos" is what I'm hearing

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 19, 2016

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Here's a PSA for people who are getting ready for Essence league: Getting your masters (read: Haku, maybe Elreon) to lvl 8 will be EXTREMELY important this league. Also, the price of Exalts will probably be a lot higher than they are right now. I'm ready for 120:1 chaos:exalt ratios once the economy stabilizes. Someone confirmed in the live server right now (and based on how ZiggyD made his bow that he posted) that Prefixes Cannot be Changed/Suffixes Cannot be Changed do NOT prevent more prefixes/suffixes from being added. It only prevents the current ones from going away with scour/chaos. This, along with how Essences work, has enormous implications for crafting. Effort post summarizing how the new crafting of top tier items will work:

1. Alt a weapon (I'll use Vaal Axe for this example) until you get only a top tier prefix (say it's t1 %phys damage).
2. Regal orb it and hit any garbage suffix.
3. Use Haku's Prefixes Cannot be Changed (2 exalts).
4a. Use the t7 essence for flat phys damage. This rerolls the item, guaranteeing t1 flat phys. Because you had prefixes cannot be changed on the item, the t1 %phys cannot be removed, but the flat phys is guaranteed to be added. You may or may not get a 3rd prefix and you may or may not end up with 3 suffixes.
4b. If you did not end up with 3 suffixes and there's an open prefix, repeat this process with whatever the next best prefix you can get from an essence is. I assume that t1 %phys and t1 flat phys will be on essences, but hybrid will not, so to get triple t1 prefixes you'll probably want to start with a t1 hybrid roll. What mods you can guarantee obviously depends on what mods the t7 essences actually give.
5. If your weapon now has 3 suffixes, you're done. If they weren't the suffixes you want, sorry, you'll have to settle for a t1 flat phys + t1 %phys weapon with mediocre suffixes that you spent 2 exalts + a pile of alts + 1 essence on. A Vaal Axe with medium roll t1 flat + t1 %phys and no relevant suffixes/hybrid prefix has 530 PDPS. Axes with 530 PDPS cost about 2-3 exalts right now and that is the absolute worst possible result you can get from this crafting. If you can continue to mess with the suffixes, you can keep doing the same thing with the suffixes:
6a. Assuming there's an essence for t1 attack speed, craft prefixes cannot be changed again (2 more ex). Use the essence on the item, rerolling the suffixes with guaranteed attack speed. Congrats, you now have a t1 flat/t1 %phys/t1 attack speed weapon you spent 4 exalts, 2 essences, and a pile of alts on (660 pdps Vaal axe, there is a 630 pdps one on prophecy from 3 weeks ago that the guy is trying to sell for 60 exalts). This is assuming average luck. If you got lucky and there are essences for it, you've made a triple t1 prefix Vaal Axe with 27% attack speed on it: 836 pdps. Total cost for this: 6 exalts, 3 essences, a pile of alts, and a little bit of luck on not hitting garbage affixes that take up slots. The #1 Vaal Axe on standard is Divined up to 879 pdps and has a buyout of 9 mirrors. You've made a weapon like 5% off of that at the cost of maybe 10 exalts.
6b. Repeat the Prefix lock + essence process until you get both a crit roll you want and an attack speed roll you really want that top tier weapon and don't want mastercrafted crit or whatever.

Fake Edit: It appears that there is an essence for only up to Tempered for flat phys (t2). You won't get quite up to mirror-worthy stuff I guess, but you'll get very close. I'll settle for t1 hybrid + t2 %phys + t2 flat phys on any weapon for the cost of 4 exalts.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I won't even have the 2 exalts to start this process by the end of the league :smug:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

lol same

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I will do as I always do: turn my fusings and jewelers into exalts and then buy the 'eh, good enough' rares that people sell in their quest for perfection.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
i will farm rly hard because in trump's PoE it'll be possible to get rich by hard work alone

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ill do what I always do. Farm endgame maps and list everything that even remotely looks like someone will buy it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Currency ratios might be weird. Exalts are going to be more valuable than ever, but prophecies are still going to be in the game (albeit at a lower rate) making 5 links easy. Getting an exalt with any currency seems like its going to be a huge pain in the rear end.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
My plan is to play Poe. Also yeah ultima66, that's what I'm planning on doing a lot. It looks like t7 essences all compare to t2 damage mods. I'm pretty sure the new mirror worthy items will be armors, because the T7 essence for energy shield can put flat ES that is higher than T1 on body armor/helm/gloves/boots/shield.

Also if exalts get that expensive you can imagine alts will get expensive as well. In the league that came out with forsaken masters alts got as high as 7-8:1c, and alts could be even higher demand.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 20, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

funmanguy posted:

My plan is to play Poe.

i hope to enjoy this game, path of exile, with you a lot in the next league, funman

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Are all the essences and what mods they apply leaked somewhere?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
so i haven't played this in years and i wanna play the new league, so I rolled a new character to get acquainted with the game. I'm playing an arc witch but i'm using spark while arc levels. I like the build a good bit in act 3 cruel, but I probably won't want to play it again in 2 weeks. what are good 'pioneer' builds for the very start of a league?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Farg posted:

so i haven't played this in years and i wanna play the new league, so I rolled a new character to get acquainted with the game. I'm playing an arc witch but i'm using spark while arc levels. I like the build a good bit in act 3 cruel, but I probably won't want to play it again in 2 weeks. what are good 'pioneer' builds for the very start of a league?

Anything that doesnt need rare uniques to get started. The standard foolproof no-currency builds are usually EQ, Flameblast, Flame totem and firestorm imo. There are plenty of other options, but in my opinion those are the easiest to do/gear.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I plan to use firestorm until i get enough levels/currency for a consuming dark

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm probably going to play it safe and do a juggernaught 2h character for my first one this league. I'm pretty sure I say this every league yet never actually do it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
i wanna try all the asc classes aside from necro someday tbh

still rolling occultist though lmfao

does anyone know the usual league start price for a consuming dark?

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

You can also get away with Blade Vortex with low gear pretty easily. There are a couple of different ways to go about it, build wise, but I was doing a Crit BV build early in this season and you do deceptively good damage while not being all that fragile if you're good about keeping resists/life in good shape.

Plus you get to clown on big groups with a whirling cloud of death.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

killstealing posted:

still rolling occultist though lmfao

Starts at an ex, drops like a rock afterwards if prophecy is any indication. You can get it for a handful of chaos like two or three days into the league probably.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
yeah I feel like every non trash unique that drops above lv50 starts at an ex, haha

I'll just use a poison gem then, saving my currency for a fat vaal regalia i think

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

killstealing posted:

Funny. My first ever asc char was necro swt totem. Retardedly tanky, great clearspeed.

killstealing posted:

Was like 5c the first day or two this league. (HC)

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheRat posted:

Funny. My first ever asc char was necro swt totem. Retardedly tanky, great clearspeed.

If I try necro it'll be with a build that doesn't summon zombies and stuff for most of its damage, dont like the idea of that. And yeah prolly poison gem until I get a cheap CD to save cash for a good vaal regalia

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

killstealing posted:

If I try necro it'll be with a build that doesn't summon zombies and stuff for most of its damage, dont like the idea of that. And yeah prolly poison gem until I get a cheap CD to save cash for a good vaal regalia

Id say 90% or more of the necros in 2.2 didnt summon a single minion (excluding golems). The offering interaction is insanely strong. I just used cwdt->desecrate->bone offering to become basically unkillable.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ultima66 posted:

The PoE Reddit community is all shitlords who think everything is always terrible 100% of the time and the game is always in a constant state of unsalvageable disrepair.

Exhibit A:

an idiot on reddit posted:

One of the interesting thing about 100 is just how casual it actually is atm. Sure it feels long and hard but most people have completed their gearing and spec by 90 so that slow down feels more tedious.

If you actually compare the time it takes to D3 paragon lvling to be competitive, its casual as hell. If you care enough to be at the top of the GR ladder in D3 you get to paragon level at high efficiency for the entire season. Compare the times and you could get 5+ 100s easy peasy.

They really need to reevaluate 100 and what it means. POE is hypercasual atm for most players.

Fukken HYPERcasuals who don't have at least five level 100 characters each league.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

J posted:

Exhibit A:

Fukken HYPERcasuals who don't have at least five level 100 characters each league.

I get the feeling these are the type of players who spend a ton of money in this game.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It takes me 7 to 10 min to clear a t4 map and i gain like 10% exp and thats if i dont die to those random balls that spawn after kills. 17 levels to go. Yeah gently caress those guys. Although i thinking getting some more movement speed would help tremendously.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
"we should make PoE's level cap harder to get than the upper echelons of D3's paragon levels"

lol

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

J posted:

Exhibit A:

They should make it so leveling 95-100 takes 10x longer but leave the rest of the level exp the same :colbert:

Also I'm glad Chris Wilson loves player metrics so much because it must give some loving clarity when you compare what Reddit and the official forums are saying to some loving line graphs showing player retention and item usage.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Count Uvula posted:

They should make it so leveling 95-100 takes 10x longer but leave the rest of the level exp the same :colbert:

no, gently caress off, i want to get level 100 someday as a normal player who doesn't play PoE for a living

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So when a league ends and a new one begins, what happens to the Characters in the old league? They go to some standard world that doesn't contain the new league content? Does the old league content move to that standard world?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So when a league ends and a new one begins, what happens to the Characters in the old league? They go to some standard world that doesn't contain the new league content? Does the old league content move to that standard world?

Yeah, everything goes to Standard or Standard Hardcore. A lot of league content is shifted in to map device stuff and map mods instead of being added to the base game directly, but those added to the base game are generally rarer than they were in their own league (e.g. Rogue Exiles are something like half as common as they were in the league that added them). Prophecy is going in to the base game with a lower coin drop rate and many prophecies tweaked or removed.

Not sure if Perandus is getting a map device mod or not, since it'd be a really weird one if so

J
Jun 10, 2001

DarkAvenger211 posted:

They get moved to standard, which is basically an eternal dumping ground of characters from almost every other league, along with dead hardcore characters from any of the hardcore leagues. Standard will never get reset, and doesn't have any of the content specific to the short term leagues. The mechanics from the short term league may or may not make it to the game in the future. Sometimes they will make a mechanic a permanent part of the game, like prophecies are going to be, other times they will take the league mechanic and turn it into a map mod so you can see it that way.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I've actually been going back to it for a few times, having lots of 80+ characters that each gets a full reset means so much tinkering and testing fun...

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Spent the afternoon getting my first guy all geared up, optimized, and capped in resists, and ready to trample over maps.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Tadezynmzux

Took about 60c, all of which I made back doing prophecies while waiting for trades to come through, since like 70& of everyone seems to be afk or couldn't be bothered doing small trades for pieces that cost1-5c. I actually swapped out some pieces that I had paid for yesterday or earlier on today for new ones at the very end. I have a much much better weapon that I can't equip til next level on wait, and the only piece I need is a 6 link Infernal Mantle now, which I don't have the 5 ex for yet.

edit: maybe I should buy a trash 6L with the right colors, it doesn't look like i'll be missing very much that is on my chest piece right now (already have the resists added in on other items)

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 20, 2016

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Requesting a reinvite to the goon guild, ig acct is ambaire. I think this new league will make me start playing again. That and the awesome currency stash tab.

Also, jesus christ. I don't have the first idea how to start sorting these tabs... probably just ignore them in favor of a league like I've been doing

if they made a set of gem sort tabs, I'd buy them next.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Aug 20, 2016

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Ambaire posted:

Requesting a reinvite to the goon guild, ig acct is ambaire. I think this new league will make me start playing again. That and the awesome currency stash tab.

Also, jesus christ. I don't have the first idea how to start sorting these tabs... probably just ignore them in favor of a league like I've been doing

vendor everything

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Ambaire posted:

Gem Tab that sorts by alphabetical or level as desired
(within colour, obviously).

Why don't they have sorting of any sort? Have they ever addressed it in a forums post or anything? Would it cause that much extra load? Maybe as a premium tab only thing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gibbo posted:

Why don't they have sorting of any sort? Have they ever addressed it in a forums post or anything? Would it cause that much extra load? Maybe as a premium tab only thing.

Grim Dawn has inventory tetris and different sorting options, so if they figured it out, it can't be that hard for GGG to do for PoE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a feeling it's more or less related to the overall design philosophy of "Diablo 2.5". If D2 had inventory tetris, then goddamn PoE will too. Though they have been moving away from that in the past...year? maybe.

• Locked thread