Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silentq15
Nov 28, 2008
Just a heads up for all you Retropie users apparently Retropie 4.0 was just released which has improvements for N64 emulation amoung other things.

https://retropie.org.uk/2016/08/retropie-4-0-released/

silentq15 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert: I know, that's the point. I already said that.

And its not the placebo effect, its having a physical thing instead of just data on your memstick. Call it the collector effect or the "being able to touch it" effect. Tangible effect?

if it's worth it to you I can't knock it it just seems like an astoundingly bad financial decision to shell out for a lot of repros when flashcarts exist. I also get having lots of physical games, I personally have a lot but I got into it before prices went nuts. being a video game collector in 2016 is kinda nutso to me, the games are for playing and it's just as fun and just as accurate in a flash cart

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

d0s posted:

if it's worth it to you I can't knock it it just seems like an astoundingly bad financial decision to shell out for a lot of repros when flashcarts exist. I also get having lots of physical games, I personally have a lot but I got into it before prices went nuts. being a video game collector in 2016 is kinda nutso to me, the games are for playing and it's just as fun and just as accurate in a flash cart

I love having a huge collection of physical games, but I'm about to move and I'm really regretting it now. :doh:

Time to hire some professional movers I guess.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kramdar posted:

What was that issue? I still haven't had a chance to use my Turbo Everdrive.

The card wasn't designed properly in the revision and was lacking capacitors to VCC on the flash memory. The chip was volatile enough that something like a .02mA drop in power made flashing failed and made the cart revision not work in a lot of devices. This is also why the first revision of the cart would fail on some consoles that had been region modded due to the length of the wires causing too large of a drop in voltage for the slot.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

The graphics in that game look way better than I remember. Unless the N64 port was just terrible and I never really played the arcade much.
That is the N64 version, you can tell because the girl with the trophy wears a shirt (photoshopped over a bikini top) and the ending doesn't have Bill Clinton in a hot tub with a couple of ladies. The arcade version did have much better graphics and ran far smoother.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I've been building my own repros. It's fun and for less than $12 I can have a physical copy of just about any game out there. The games I use as donors are usually either Japanese copies of the game I'm making, in which case I preserve the original maskrom, completely unloved or unwanted sports games, or newly manufactored Pcbs.

I've made repros for Famicom, Genesis, Jaguar, and SNES. Made about 30 total at this point.

I did kill a stunt race fx to make Star Fox 2 and felt no shame in doing so. It is literally the only way at this time to play it on original hardware and is time consuming to do. I doubt that hobbyists could ever build SF2 at a rate that would effect the world supply of it.

Why bother with this when I could play most of these games on a flash cart? It's fun challenge. When I'm done I have a physical copy of the game that I can customize to my liking. Also, I'm much more likely to play it! Flashcarts give me a "paralysis of choice" type feeling. I find myself now playing games on everdrive and thinking "hey, this game is cool...I should build a copy." And if I built it, I'm going to play it!

I do find it a bit irksome when people do something like murder a copy of Batman: Return of the Joker to build Mr. Gimmick. There are newly manufactured, affordable, and actually easier to build methods that don't use original parts, why kill an actually good game to do it?

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't for example N64 roms supposed to play much better/perfectly on an actual N64 compared to the crappy state of N64 emulation? Wouldn't buying a flash cart in this case make sense? Asking because I'm thinking about getting one.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

It's also just as fun and accurate (for me at least) in an emulator for anything from the early '90s. I like playing my old systems and the handful of games I've kept from time to time, but I think Flashcarts are a drab compromise lacking the convenience of emulators and the sentimental appeal of old games.

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

TheRedEye posted:

If these are hoaxes they're masterful. Of the five we got (a friend got F-1 Race, which has different colors on the title screen among other changes), four were different. It's not just the text, there are hex differences all over the place, which I'm sure are just bug fixes and minor tweaks. So, if it's a hoax, they kept Soccer identical to add some legitimacy to it I guess? Also, if it's a hoax, they were very careful to only use EPROMs with manufacturing dates that preceded the release dates of the games (pretty difficult to source these days), EXCEPT for that one Mario Bros. cart.

I've been dumping NES prototypes for literally 18 years now, I know what I'm doing!

Thanks for the added details. I don't mean to doubt you or your abilities, as you've brought to light a ton of amazing stuff. It's just whenever the differences are mostly cosmetic, I'm paranoid that there are others out there with your knowledge using it for evil. :tinfoil:

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Just dropping in to say I loved playing Stunt Race FX as a kid. It's probably the only game I played growing up where I gave a poo poo about time trials and had a blast doing them. Sure it didn't age very well, but at least the music is still pretty baller.

Baron Snow posted:

You can always refer to slagcoin's guide.

"This is the American Street Fighter layout given by Capcom USA. It has some strange wide-spacing and does not suit the structure of the human hand. I do not advocated squared layouts like this one and others. You can feel some of these even layouts for yourself and assess the level of awkwardness from bending some fingers more than others."

Thanks for the great link!

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 19, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

psymonkey posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't for example N64 roms supposed to play much better/perfectly on an actual N64 compared to the crappy state of N64 emulation? Wouldn't buying a flash cart in this case make sense? Asking because I'm thinking about getting one.

Yes, your options for accurate bug-free N64 gameplay right now are either buy a flashcart for like $180, or buy a brand new top end computer to be able to run CEN64 or MAME's N64 driver at decent framerates.

CEN64 right now will do like Mario 64 and a couple other early games at full speed on just a 3 or 4 year old Intel CPU, but other games still require much better.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

fishmech posted:

Yes, your options for accurate bug-free N64 gameplay right now are either buy a flashcart for like $180, or buy a brand new top end computer to be able to run CEN64 or MAME's N64 driver at decent framerates.

CEN64 right now will do like Mario 64 and a couple other early games at full speed on just a 3 or 4 year old Intel CPU, but other games still require much better.

I really hope this Libretro project takes off well. It could end up being a capable enough middle ground to not require a loving Pentagon cluster for good N64 emulation.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Everdrive 64 v2.5 is $107 though :confused:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

psymonkey posted:

Yep. And unlike the SNES there's no weird extra chips that can't be emulated on a flashcart. (Okay there's actually one in Animal Crossing but version 3 of the everdrive supports it)

And yeah N64 emulation is kind of a mess for anything outside of the major titles. There was a lot of very rapid progress early on when the system was current, and that kind of set the tone and meant that it took a lot time before we got a clean sheet emulator that wasn't compromised by being built on outdated plugin specs that were designed around a 600 MHz pentium.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Silhouette posted:

The Everdrive 64 v2.5 is $107 though :confused:

The v3 is pretty good though and I'm glad I paid the price.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
repros are and always have been loving stupid and gutting real rear end non-broken video games (not matter how bad or prolific) to make some chintzy bootleg garbage should and will be a crime when i become the president

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

It's also just as fun and accurate (for me at least) in an emulator for anything from the early '90s. I like playing my old systems and the handful of games I've kept from time to time, but I think Flashcarts are a drab compromise lacking the convenience of emulators and the sentimental appeal of old games.

To me the fun comes from actually playing the game on the real console on a TV and messing with hardware, but not so much the act of plugging in a real cart. If flash carts are a compromise I fail to see what you're compromising, they are just as convenient as emulators for the most part with 100% accuracy and the "sentimental appeal" of playing the real console. It's like the best of both worlds

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Instant Sunrise posted:

There's some timing difference with the SGB running slightly slower to match the SNES CPU, also a lot of gameboy games have special SGB-specific enhancements that the GBP doesn't replicate.

I kinda noticed it was a tad slower than on my normal game boy. I thought it was just me. Not too noticeable and in my opinion not really a cause to get a super game boy 2.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

find me a flashcart that can play star fox 2

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheMcD posted:

I really hope this Libretro project takes off well. It could end up being a capable enough middle ground to not require a loving Pentagon cluster for good N64 emulation.

That's still going to require a beefy computer, just a slightly less beefy one than what you need right now.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Instant Sunrise posted:

find me a flashcart that can play star fox 2

One day, SD2SNES will. One day... :negative:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Everybody gets mad when I say I think MAME cabs are trash fires but now you think we shouldn't have repros and gut lovely games for it? Hahah. :toot:

I have very few repros, but I don't know how someone (in this hobby) couldn't understand the appeal of a nicely made repro because you just wanted to be able to play a game - it's a visceral nostalgic thing (and also nice shelf candy). I have exactly 3 repros and 2 were gifts, but they were very nice gifts (Sweet Home EN NES cart, Dracula X in a nice english case). The one I bought is the US translation of the Sailor Moon Another Story SNES RPG. Would I invest tons in repros? Heck no, but I still plan to get a Clock Tower EN SNES repro.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

i've come to hate mame cabs for taking up half of every results page every time i search my local craigslist for anything

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

It feels cool to "collect" them in a physical form. Downloading MP3s feels lame, buying vinyls feels rewarding. (or maybe I'm just opening myself up to criticism here)

You are.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl, heathen.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

absolutely anything posted:

repros are and always have been loving stupid and gutting real rear end non-broken video games (not matter how bad or prolific) to make some chintzy bootleg garbage should and will be a crime when i become the president

I acquired a Wild Trax SFC cart and transferred it to Monitor Burn so he could make a Starfox 2 repro. And I'd do it again in a heartbeat, so come at me, piggy :colbert: .

Caitlin posted:

Everybody gets mad when I say I think MAME cabs are trash fires but now you think we shouldn't have repros and gut lovely games for it? Hahah. :toot:

I have very few repros, but I don't know how someone (in this hobby) couldn't understand the appeal of a nicely made repro because you just wanted to be able to play a game - it's a visceral nostalgic thing (and also nice shelf candy). I have exactly 3 repros and 2 were gifts, but they were very nice gifts (Sweet Home EN NES cart, Dracula X in a nice english case). The one I bought is the US translation of the Sailor Moon Another Story SNES RPG. Would I invest tons in repros? Heck no, but I still plan to get a Clock Tower EN SNES repro.

I'm not a fan of repros as physical items that I particularly want at this point in time, but I'm conceptually fine with them as long as they are further the hobby (so some translation of a game that was never released in a particular region, or maybe a quite sweet ROM hack). And yeah, I don't get the disdain I'm seeing in this thread, either - oh no, people are gutting overproduced trash games to make something interesting or useful from them! How terrible! All this hullabaloo, as if the fate of such games isn't to languish on store shelves and bulk seller warehouses indefinitely, assuming they aren't outright disposed of as e-waste.

To the whiners and complainers, I say this: Go knock yourselves out buying these "perfectly good and functional" games that people are gutting for repros. You'll probably spend less than $200 getting samples of all those crap games, some shop in Japan will probably thank you for it, and if they really are games that collectors and the community care about in fifty years time, then you'll probably get your money back and be a hero. Otherwise, I say get over it - wanting to preserve anything and everything "just because" is the first step towards pack-rat hoarding and mental illness.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I only make repros of unreleased games that don't work on flashcarts. So far I have Star Fox 2 and english Lagrange Point. I am considering making an english repro of Marvelous next.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Alucardd posted:

I only make repros of unreleased games that don't work on flashcarts. So far I have Star Fox 2 and english Lagrange Point. I am considering making an english repro of Marvelous next.

I thought the N8 worked with VRC7/Lagrange Point?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Allen Wren posted:

You are.

The plural of vinyl is vinyl, heathen.

LPs then :)

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Not fully, the expansion audio is not implemented. Only with a Hi-def NES can it play with audio since the hi-def implements its own exp channels.

Alucardd fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 19, 2016

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

I love to hear the cries of Madden 95 and PGA Golf Tour as I rip their brains out and heatgun their labels off.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Nope, it can't emulate the FM chip and krikkz has no plans to do so. I plan to make one myself as soon as I get my copy from Japan.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Alucardd posted:

tbh i think this is reasonable, my main deal with repros is that most are a huge waste of money but in this case its understandable because its the only way to play on real hardware. I get making your own as a project too.

stunt race fx is legit cool though gently caress u haters

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Repros as a whole are stupidly overpriced, I can literally make 95% of the SNES library for less than $15, in about 30 minutes of work. Genesis games for less than $10 and they're even easier to put together. Part of what you're paying for is the skill required to do it, but there are very few games that should cost more than about $35. That's including a case and label and everything.

Obvious exceptions are games like Star Ocean that not only require a more expensive donor but also intricate wiring. I probably spent about two hours on that one. But those games are few and far between and I think most repro makers are skinning the proverbial fat hog.

Polly Toodle fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 19, 2016

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Is there any place to get a Lagrange Point English famicom repro for a reasonabke amount? I saw one on NintendoAge but they want a few hundred bucks.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Miles McCloud posted:

I love to hear the cries of Madden 95 and PGA Golf Tour as I rip their brains out and heatgun their labels off.

Nope, it can't emulate the FM chip and krikkz has no plans to do so. I plan to make one myself as soon as I get my copy from Japan.

Oh hey you don't have PMs but I've got a copy I tried to convert to English but was sold bad roms. Would you be able to burn that and one other NES game for me so I can finally finish those two projects? The other one is Just Breed.

Edit: ^^^^^ if you get a copy of Lagrange Point and someone to burn the rom for you it's one of the easiest to convert. The IC literally drops in and there's no rewiring required at all.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

flyboi posted:

Oh hey you don't have PMs but I've got a copy I tried to convert to English but was sold bad roms. Would you be able to burn that and one other NES game for me so I can finally finish those two projects? The other one is Just Breed.

Edit: ^^^^^ if you get a copy of Lagrange Point and someone to burn the rom for you it's one of the easiest to convert. The IC literally drops in and there's no rewiring required at all.

How do you burn the rom? All I have is a AV Famicom.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SnatchRabbit posted:

How do you burn the rom? All I have is a AV Famicom.

You find someone with a rom burner who knows how to make NES CHR roms.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

flyboi posted:

Sure, email me at chortleatjokersboner@gmail.com and I'll see if I can help, if you don't mind waiting for me to get my copy from Yamatoku-Classic's "rowboat across the Pacific" first so I can make sure it works.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

guys it's OK, I made everyone who makes repros to promise not to sacrifice working or otherwise important games, they even signed their names on this slip of... *pats pockets* ...oh, poo poo

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

How do you guys feel about people tearing out gba SPs for those sweet screens for mods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I would like a repro of a translated Famicom Detective Club 2.

• Locked thread