Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ineffiable posted:

How do you guys feel about people tearing out gba SPs for those sweet screens for mods?

only if the rest of the GPA-SP is a write-off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

How do you guys feel about people tearing out gba SPs for those sweet screens for mods?

Out of a broken one? Sure. Out of a acceptable quality one? Please don't.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

I'm more triggered by Sony PS one LCDs being used to make handheld Atari 5200s or whatever

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

rdbbb posted:

I'm more triggered by Sony PS one LCDs being used to make handheld Atari 5200s or whatever

this is the worst thing right here, I get that people can be hyperbolic about some of this stuff but if this doesn't annoy you in some way you have no soul. I am so pissed I sold my psone before seeing how cool they are with the LCD :smith:

e: using the screens of the lovely knockoff ones is a-ok tho

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Long before we run out of carts that are being cannibalized (ie: Stunt Race FX) the prices on them will have increased past the point anyone would want to spend that much just for "parts" to make something else.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

d0s posted:

this is the worst thing right here, I get that people can be hyperbolic about some of this stuff but if this doesn't annoy you in some way you have no soul. I am so pissed I sold my psone before seeing how cool they are with the LCD :smith:

e: using the screens of the lovely knockoff ones is a-ok tho

Aren't the official PSOne screens kinda rare now because so many people used them as an out of the box screen for dumb portables?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
something like star fox 2 is the only case for repros that i 100% get, even if i personally wouldn't rip a super fx chip out of something to play it. it wasn't released and flash carts don't support it, so that's the only way you're gonna play it on real hardware. fine. go for it. i mean eventually flash carts will get there and it'll go back to being dumb to do but whatever.

everything else though: still stupid! the collection angle has never flown with me mainly because if you tried to pull the same poo poo in like any other collector community you'd be a joke. if you rolled up to whatever 1960s malt shop people are still showing off their baseball card collections in and went "yeah i got the boys in china to print me up one of them t206 honus wagners" you'd be laughed out of there no matter how much you yelled about the epic nostalgiafeel as they pushed you out the door. and the nostalgia thing is dumb too. what the gently caress are you getting nostalgic for? you're not holding anything with any sort of historic value or worth. it's not anything from anyone's childhood. it's a gussied up knockoff. it was made this year. if it had a funnier looking label it'd end up on @bootleg_stuff. if holding the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for is enough for you then go print out some papercraft snes carts, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, it at least has the benefit of being a fun crafts project and has about the same level of worth when it comes to "shelf candy" (uggghhhhhh).

"but you can't play paper!" yeah i know. you know what you can play? a flash cart! a flash cart is also the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for but it's also million times more practical! it plugs in just like your stupid repro cart and it plays exactly like your stupid repro cart! the literal only difference in how it works is you pick a game from a menu first. and that should really be the main concern: it plays the same. it's not even remotely the same thing as playing on an emulator. you are playing the game on actual hardware hooked up to a nice crt/scaler. it's not an mp3 vs vinyl situation, it's cd-rws vs cds. a repro is just a cd-r someone slapped a nice label on, and going back to the previous point i'd have the same reaction to someone showing off their sweet custom policenauts translation burn as some cool collector's thing as someone showing off their seiken densetsu 3 translation repro.

and as for gutting old games to make repros, when i'm not being purposefully rude and dismissive like i am in this post this one actually 100% echos my feelings word for word

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree with this though. Its definitely the easier way to do a repro cart but it feels kinda lame. Sure Stunt Race FX sucks and there's a lot of copies, but its still a limited production and they're only going to get older and rarer. Like people buying up all the games with Famicom-to-NES adapters and chunking them, its kinda weak. Those games are part of history.

Still as long as there's several copies of Stunt Race FX that are playable its not a huge deal? But how long is that sustainable exactly? Not that repro carts are being mass produced but they're not super super uncommon either.

but since i AM being purposefully rude and dismissive, as someone who has way too many loving video games: i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about the "collectors and community". i care about video games. i think treating old video games as some sort of lifestyle that can be "furthered" by removing the actual history of the medium (no matter how bad or currently oversaturated) and replacing it with whatever hobbyist project is hot at the time is super sad. i think people (AGAIN: i'm talking about working/repairable stuff here. salvaging parts from unfixable things is a-ok!) ripping the ppu out of a playchoice-10 to get rgb out of their nes, people gutting gba sps for the screens and people harvesting super fx chips for their bootlegs are all equally lovely and selfish. ESPECIALLY when there are made from scratch alternatives like flash carts that don't take away from anything and are, outside of edge cases like star fox 2, superior in every single way outside of the arbitrary ones people have made up in their heads. who the gently caress are you to decide what gets to live on in a field of media that, while obviously not in any immediate danger of disappearing, can do nothing but dwindle? madden 95 is a lovely outdated game that next to nobody cares about, no argument, but who made you the arbiter of how many copies are available? i'm totally being hyperbolic here and chances are none of us will live to see the day that there aren't any copies of madden 95, but i still don't think that gives anyone the right to push that date up. especially not when the end result is an impractical shelf decoration.

tl;dr gently caress a repro

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Miles McCloud posted:

Repros as a whole are stupidly overpriced, I can literally make 95% of the SNES library for less than $15, in about 30 minutes of work. Genesis games for less than $10 and they're even easier to put together. Part of what you're paying for is the skill required to do it, but there are very few games that should cost more than about $35. That's including a case and label and everything.

Obvious exceptions are games like Star Ocean that not only require a more expensive donor but also intricate wiring. I probably spent about two hours on that one. But those games are few and far between and I think most repro makers are skinning the proverbial fat hog.

I've kind of wanted to get into making carts like that because it sounds like fun. How much did the equipment cost you?

Instant Sunrise posted:

i've come to hate mame cabs for taking up half of every results page every time i search my local craigslist for anything

I found the other half:

(Sadly, that's kind of a deal now. :negative:)

Oh, and relevant to the discussion:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

absolutely anything posted:

something like star fox 2 is the only case for repros that i 100% get, even if i personally wouldn't rip a super fx chip out of something to play it. it wasn't released and flash carts don't support it, so that's the only way you're gonna play it on real hardware. fine. go for it. i mean eventually flash carts will get there and it'll go back to being dumb to do but whatever.

everything else though: still stupid! the collection angle has never flown with me mainly because if you tried to pull the same poo poo in like any other collector community you'd be a joke. if you rolled up to whatever 1960s malt shop people are still showing off their baseball card collections in and went "yeah i got the boys in china to print me up one of them t206 honus wagners" you'd be laughed out of there no matter how much you yelled about the epic nostalgiafeel as they pushed you out the door. and the nostalgia thing is dumb too. what the gently caress are you getting nostalgic for? you're not holding anything with any sort of historic value or worth. it's not anything from anyone's childhood. it's a gussied up knockoff. it was made this year. if it had a funnier looking label it'd end up on @bootleg_stuff. if holding the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for is enough for you then go print out some papercraft snes carts, it'll probably be cheaper in the long run, it at least has the benefit of being a fun crafts project and has about the same level of worth when it comes to "shelf candy" (uggghhhhhh).

"but you can't play paper!" yeah i know. you know what you can play? a flash cart! a flash cart is also the vague facsimile of something you're nostalgic for but it's also million times more practical! it plugs in just like your stupid repro cart and it plays exactly like your stupid repro cart! the literal only difference in how it works is you pick a game from a menu first. and that should really be the main concern: it plays the same. it's not even remotely the same thing as playing on an emulator. you are playing the game on actual hardware hooked up to a nice crt/scaler. it's not an mp3 vs vinyl situation, it's cd-rws vs cds. a repro is just a cd-r someone slapped a nice label on, and going back to the previous point i'd have the same reaction to someone showing off their sweet custom policenauts translation burn as some cool collector's thing as someone showing off their seiken densetsu 3 translation repro.

and as for gutting old games to make repros, when i'm not being purposefully rude and dismissive like i am in this post this one actually 100% echos my feelings word for word

but since i AM being purposefully rude and dismissive, as someone who has way too many loving video games: i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about the "collectors and community". i care about video games. i think treating old video games as some sort of lifestyle that can be "furthered" by removing the actual history of the medium (no matter how bad or currently oversaturated) and replacing it with whatever hobbyist project is hot at the time is super sad. i think people (AGAIN: i'm talking about working/repairable stuff here. salvaging parts from unfixable things is a-ok!) ripping the ppu out of a playchoice-10 to get rgb out of their nes, people gutting gba sps for the screens and people harvesting super fx chips for their bootlegs are all equally lovely and selfish. ESPECIALLY when there are made from scratch alternatives like flash carts that don't take away from anything and are, outside of edge cases like star fox 2, superior in every single way outside of the arbitrary ones people have made up in their heads. who the gently caress are you to decide what gets to live on in a field of media that, while obviously not in any immediate danger of disappearing, can do nothing but dwindle? madden 95 is a lovely outdated game that next to nobody cares about, no argument, but who made you the arbiter of how many copies are available? i'm totally being hyperbolic here and chances are none of us will live to see the day that there aren't any copies of madden 95, but i still don't think that gives anyone the right to push that date up. especially not when the end result is an impractical shelf decoration.

are you trying to compete with captain rufus now or what

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Caitlin posted:

are you trying to compete with captain rufus now or what

that post doesn't have nearly enough line breaks for that

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheRedEye posted:

My guess is that it's nearly complete, so the minus world is probably the same. It's probably the final game with a couple of minor bugs.

As soon as the seller listed one that had an obvious difference in the screenshots, thus verifying that the fishy-looking things might actually be prototypes, we bought all of them. The only one I let someone else get was Mario Bros. (the arcade port, not Super), because the manufacturing dates on the EPROMs came after the game was published, so it seemed safe to assume that it was just the final game. Maybe I should have gotten it anyway but I am not made of money, and quick decisions had to be made.

You said there were 16 carts on NA, or were you talking about past sales?

edit:

Also, while don't have any real interest in repros (I own one, and its of a game I'll basically never find any other way) I do think that original homebrews with knock-off boxes are super cool. I don't own any but I give mad props to 8-bit Christmas and the like.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 20, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

but since i AM being purposefully rude and dismissive, as someone who has way too many loving video games: i don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck about the "collectors and community". i care about video games. i think treating old video games as some sort of lifestyle that can be "furthered" by removing the actual history of the medium (no matter how bad or currently oversaturated) and replacing it with whatever hobbyist project is hot at the time is super sad.

people are gonna loving hate you for saying this but I think you're 100% right. I am pretty laid back about people's personal projects when it's their property but the fact that we as a community are ok with people doing it on a large scale for profit is upsetting to me

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Cliff Racer posted:

You said there were 16 carts on NA, or were you talking about past sales?

There were 16 total, sold one at a time, and several were sold before we saw them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It is odd, to be honest, that Play and Trade lets its franchisees sell the equivalent of knockoff goods in its stores. You can talk about old JRPGs all you want but most of what mine sells is Mario and Zelda hacks. Shouldn't they be worried about Nintendo lawyers?

I also do have a problem with people selling repros of stuff that actually has been released, not because it is unfair to Namco that people can buy a Mr. Gimmick for under two hundred dollars but because it makes my life as a collector more miserable. I see a yard sale and someone is selling his brother's games for weed money. Is that Ducktales 2 a legitimate one or a reproduction?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

To me the fun comes from actually playing the game on the real console on a TV and messing with hardware, but not so much the act of plugging in a real cart. If flash carts are a compromise I fail to see what you're compromising, they are just as convenient as emulators for the most part with 100% accuracy and the "sentimental appeal" of playing the real console. It's like the best of both worlds

Well, an emulator is just a click or two away; in my case, I have to haul out the old console and hook it up. That's fun in itself sometimes, but a flash cart isn't part of the equation. It lacks the singular experience that actually makes playing a game on a console interesting for me.

what the gently caress are you getting nostalgic for?

A time in my life when I would have bought Terranigma on the Super NES at the local Electronics Boutique.

Emulation has reduced this hobby to a point where buying or keeping physical old games runs counter to all financial sense. We hang onto these relics because they stir some personal fondness, and if someone's happy with a Star Ocean or Villgust cartridge that's technically fake but every bit as solid as the Secret of Mana I got for Christmas in 1993, I'm not fool enough to tell them that my stupid crap is any less stupid than their stupid crap.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

It lacks the singular experience

so just put one game on the flash cart at a time, problem solved

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For me having the systems and playing on them is more getting to use the full original hardware experience. Sure there's adapters for your popular systems in emulation but I can't for example use my PC Engine controllers on it. To each their own but that's why I like my console collection!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Kid Fenris posted:

Emulation has reduced this hobby to a point where buying or keeping physical old games runs counter to all financial sense. We hang onto these relics because they stir some personal fondness

I hang on to and seek out these "relics" because I want to play them with 100% accuracy on the hardware and displays there were designed for actually. Emulators are not replacements if you care about that. Which isn't to say there's NOTHING I own that's there purely for sentimental value (wacky worlds is a bad game but i'm sure not gonna part with it) but it's not what drives me, and I totally own more games that I had no connection to as a kid these days.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!

Random Stranger posted:

I've kind of wanted to get into making carts like that because it sounds like fun. How much did the equipment cost you?

There are two main expenses, assuming you already have a decent soldering iron. The first is a rom programmer, this is the one I have (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Top...608.0.92.90pToJ) and it costs around 110 depending on where you buy it. The other is a vacuum desoldering station, as I absolutely would not try to make more than one or two without one. I have this one: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQ6PR6K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . If you just want to Star Fox 2 or something you can get by without it, especially as it has a surface mount chip. But it's one of the best purchases I ever made for this hobby. I bought mine after I struggled to install an NESRGB and wanted to avoid such problems in the future. This way, you can remove the donor maskroms fairly easily, as well as remove an eprom if it doesn't work.

After that you just need the eproms, which are usually between $0.50-2.00 a piece depending on the type you need.

For SNES, I've found it easier to just purchase newly manufactured PCBs from this guy: http://www.retrostage.net/.

And for all you folks crying for slain Madden 95s, it's guys like the retrostage guy who have made it possible to make quality repros without original hardware. I myself only cannibalized the sports games I had acquired because it was convenient and I really could care less.

It's only slightly more expensive to use newly manufactured parts and it's what I'm doing now that I've used up most of my sports games. It's actually much easier than using donors on the SNES, especially for games over 2MB. I'm not doing this for profit, I've only sold one repro to a friend who wanted one, and that was basically at cost. To me it's all about the puzzle of figuring out how it all works, the shelf candy, and the counter to my game ADD.

An interesting sidenote to this conversation is the fact that we don't know how long the maskroms or ic chips or capacitors in 80's and 90's cart based games will last. No data storage medium is eternal, and it's entirely possible that in the year 2095, one hundred years after Madden 95 was released, that all copies of it will have ceased to work anyway. May as well use'em for something that brings joy while we can.

An example of this is Pokemon Yellow for the Gameboy. I'm in possession of about 12 copies of it in which all of the sprites are black squares. I've done everything I can think of to fix this. The problem resides in the maskrom because I've been able to make the problem move between boards by swapping the maskrom. This is ONLY for Pokemon Yellow, I've never seen this in any of the other Pokemon games. Something about the way the Pokemon Yellow maskroms were manufactured made them susceptible to this problem. Will it happen to all copies over time? Probably not. But let's not assume that our antiques will be working when they actually are antiques.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

this desoldering station has the same internals as the one posted above but it's cheaper, it's made by the same company:

http://www.mpja.com/Desoldering-Station-for-Circuit-Repair-ZD-915/productinfo/19034+TL/

out of stock though, been waiting for it to come back myself

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

drat, this is some fine sanctimony over mass-produced consumer goods right here.

If you're going to complain about Playchoice-10 machines being taken out of circulation, you're really going to have look more broadly and farther out than the small niche of RGB-ified NES hobbyists for that (since only a certain subset of those PPUs were even usable for the mod, and the demand for them led to the creation of the NESRGB boards). You're going to have to point the finger at destructive children and teenagers, at neglectful convenience store and arcade owners, at distributors shitcanning old machines because no one wants these old NES games in day and age 199X. You're also facing the "soul" question - what is the soul of a Playchoice-10? Just the PCB? The cabinet design and its graphics? Its RGB-enabled CRT monitor? Original joysticks and buttons? All of these together?

If you're upset about people gutting the less-notable SuperFX games in order to do something interesting with an otherwise niche coprocessing chip, you're free to get your own copies and curate them for next five decades, in the hope that enough people will give a poo poo to view them as interesting historical artifacts. Your complaint about the GBA SP is muddled and unclear to me - do you just object to GBA SPs being broken down and harvested? What about the damage to the stupidly dark original GBAs that such a mod entails?

And yet, does any of your rant really matter? People today would naturally be aghast if you converted even a merely good condition 1930s Ford automobile into a new hot rod design, since they're now so rare and still desirable. But they'd also be aghast if you took a 1950s or 1960s-era hot rod, made from those 1930s Fords when they were cheaper and more common, and hosed with its design - despite said hot rods being dramatic and theoretically destructive modifications of those original Fords! It's because history can be as much about the context of actions as it is about the authenticity of objects from it. Both the original and the mod have value, cachet, appeal, what have you, perhaps because both still have utility (be it actual or the hearkening of such).

But saying that the sea of plastic-injected, mass-flashed, robot-soldered, and assembly-lined packed sports games, mahjong titles, and so forth that is collecting dust in storage bins, on store shelves, and in warehouses is somehow meant to be off-limits is just silly as hell. There will be enough Madden '95s for the museums of the future, I guarantee, and enough Stunt Race FXes and whatever else you might please to argue is historically significant to the 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit eras and on forward.

Just chill, or step up your game to ensure that you are doing your part to preserve what you believe to be historically meaningful and significant.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Remember when repros were called counterfeits?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of buying RPG's that you don't have time to play, there's a ton of them in the current Flash sale on the Sony store. I was going to run through a list of the retro stuff up, but there's just too much. Plenty of Square and Capcom PS1 titles though nothing that hasn't been on sale in recent months.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
There's a pretty big distinction between a reproduction and a counterfeit. A counterfeit is something intended to maliciously pass off as an original, a reproduction is meant to be a known copy. That's the reason people who make fake cash for movie use don't go to jail. I'm completely against making a repro so authentic that it could pass as an original.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Something I don't hear talked about with bootleg cartridges is how a lot of them were free hacks and translations done by the community, sold by someone else for a profit without permission. It's one thing to bootleg a commercial game that a company already made its profit off of or whatever, but it's another thing entirely to poo poo in your own community pool like this.

I used to be kind of upset that people were bootlegging the unreleased games we spent a lot of money to make sure people could see, but I'm over it now. I'd rather people profit off of my money than profit off of someone else's months/years of labor.

Miles McCloud posted:

There's a pretty big distinction between a reproduction and a counterfeit. A counterfeit is something intended to maliciously pass off as an original, a reproduction is meant to be a known copy. That's the reason people who make fake cash for movie use don't go to jail. I'm completely against making a repro so authentic that it could pass as an original.

"Reproduction" implies making a new version of an existing item, like if someone were to make a copy of Stadium Events that could pass for the original at a glance. These dang things are bootlegs.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

drat, this is some fine sanctimony over mass-produced consumer goods right here.

If you're going to complain about Playchoice-10 machines being taken out of circulation, you're really going to have look more broadly and farther out than the small niche of RGB-ified NES hobbyists for that (since only a certain subset of those PPUs were even usable for the mod, and the demand for them led to the creation of the NESRGB boards). You're going to have to point the finger at destructive children and teenagers, at neglectful convenience store and arcade owners, at distributors shitcanning old machines because no one wants these old NES games in day and age 199X. You're also facing the "soul" question - what is the soul of a Playchoice-10? Just the PCB? The cabinet design and its graphics? Its RGB-enabled CRT monitor? Original joysticks and buttons? All of these together?

If you're upset about people gutting the less-notable SuperFX games in order to do something interesting with an otherwise niche coprocessing chip, you're free to get your own copies and curate them for next five decades, in the hope that enough people will give a poo poo to view them as interesting historical artifacts. Your complaint about the GBA SP is muddled and unclear to me - do you just object to GBA SPs being broken down and harvested? What about the damage to the stupidly dark original GBAs that such a mod entails?

And yet, does any of your rant really matter? People today would naturally be aghast if you converted even a merely good condition 1930s Ford automobile into a new hot rod design, since they're now so rare and still desirable. But they'd also be aghast if you took a 1950s or 1960s-era hot rod, made from those 1930s Fords when they were cheaper and more common, and hosed with its design - despite said hot rods being dramatic and theoretically destructive modifications of those original Fords! It's because history can be as much about the context of actions as it is about the authenticity of objects from it. Both the original and the mod have value, cachet, appeal, what have you, perhaps because both still have utility (be it actual or the hearkening of such).

But saying that the sea of plastic-injected, mass-flashed, robot-soldered, and assembly-lined packed sports games, mahjong titles, and so forth that is collecting dust in storage bins, on store shelves, and in warehouses is somehow meant to be off-limits is just silly as hell. There will be enough Madden '95s for the museums of the future, I guarantee, and enough Stunt Race FXes and whatever else you might please to argue is historically significant to the 8-bit, 16-bit, 32-bit eras and on forward.

Just chill, or step up your game to ensure that you are doing your part to preserve what you believe to be historically meaningful and significant.

do you see any problem at all with for-profit organizations doing it on a large scale or is all of it hunky-dory to you no matter if it's a hobbyist or a businessman? honestly curious not trolling or trying to argue or whatever

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking of buying RPG's that you don't have time to play, there's a ton of them in the current Flash sale on the Sony store. I was going to run through a list of the retro stuff up, but there's just too much. Plenty of Square and Capcom PS1 titles though nothing that hasn't been on sale in recent months.

I really did not need to know this t:mad:

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

so just put one game on the flash cart at a time, problem solved

That will bring back those fond memories of playing the flash cart I got for Christmas on grandma's giant TV, of biking to Blockbuster to rent a new flash cart for the weekend, and of gazing covetously at all the upcoming flash carts in Nintendo Power.

I hang on to and seek out these "relics" because I want to play them with 100% accuracy on the hardware and displays there were designed for actually. Emulators are not replacements if you care about that. Which isn't to say there's NOTHING I own that's there purely for sentimental value (wacky worlds is a bad game but i'm sure not gonna part with it) but it's not what drives me, and I totally own more games that I had no connection to as a kid these days.

You might even say that you have a personal fondness for those games and hardware, no?

If you just wanted to play and enjoy games, emulation would suit you fine. There's a reason you keep old consoles and pursue an unimpeachably faithful experience on them, and I don't think it's any less silly than the reason someone might want a convincing facsimile of Bahamut Lagoon or that Tenchi Muyo RPG to go with the rest of their Super NES cartridges.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Finally got the Genesis 2 RGB cable I needed for my dbGrafx Booster. You know what this calls for?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8QvcB5KOuc(sorry for the shaky, I was holding the camera and the controller)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

That will bring back those fond memories of playing the flash cart I got for Christmas on grandma's giant TV, of biking to Blockbuster to rent a new flash cart for the weekend, and of gazing covetously at all the upcoming flash carts in Nintendo Power.

idk man I still manage to enjoy games I played back in the day without ritualizing it to the point where not seeing the cart sticker ruins the experience but perhaps I'm the one with a broken brain

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kid Fenris posted:

It's kinda weird and sad if that kind of nostalgia is your only reason for playing old games

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kid Fenris posted:

That will bring back those fond memories of playing the imported Chinese knockoff I special ordered I got for Christmas on grandma's giant TV, of biking to Blockbuster to rent a new imported Chinese knockoff for the weekend, and of gazing covetously at all the upcoming imported Chinese knockoffs in Nintendo Power.

Wow yeah, so compelling. I too got strictly Nintondo games.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Maybe we should just replace the entire OP with ranked lists of the "good reasons" and the "bad reasons" to play old video games. That way everyone would know where they stand, who was better than who, which fans were "true," and which had "broken brains."

You know, something really alienating and elitist, right out of the gate.

This thread gets REALLY judge-y sometimes, and it's a really poo poo look.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 20, 2016

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

xamphear posted:

Maybe we should just replace the entire OP with ranked lists of the "good reasons" and the "bad reasons" to play old video games. That way everyone would know where they stand, who was better than who, which fans were "true," and which had "broken brains."

You know, something really alienating and elitist, right out of the gate.

this guy is on the mark

good thing we got the :siren:nostalgia police:siren:

vv just because I say MAME cabs are dumpster fires doesn't mean I actually think nobody should be allowed to have them, which I repeatedly stated during the "debate" last time, but you wanna play cute, do you. :sax:

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 20, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

this guy is on the mark

good thing we got the :siren:nostalgia police:siren:

:ironicat:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Or just let people enjoy old games in whatever manner they like? :shrug:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

XYZ posted:

Or just let people enjoy old games in whatever manner they like? :shrug:

As long as they're not Nintendo 64 games. All of those are crap.

Except Tetrisphere.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Random Stranger posted:

As long as they're not Nintendo 64 games. All of those are crap.

Except Tetrisphere.

We gonna throw down.

(I do agree with you that Tetrisphere is great though)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Instant Sunrise posted:

We gonna throw down.

(I do agree with you that Tetrisphere is great though)

Allow me to elucidate at length on why all your N64 favorites are terrible, especially the Zeldas and Goldeneye.

Double especially Goldeneye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lets all just play old video games and not get snobby about it? :iiam:

• Locked thread