Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

speaking of wonky cameras, the GTA trilogy is on ps4 and i assume they still have the same camera control as they did on the ps2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They're direct ports so I'd imagine so

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I traded my physical copy of Witcher 3 in when Dark Souls 3 came out but I've been regretting finishing it ever since. If I get the digital version my save game should work right?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I want a fun multi-player shooter. The only shooter I have on ps4 is Destiny. I've heard overwatch is cool, but is there anything else out there I should look at? How's call of duty doing? I haven't played cod since mw first came out. I just want something kinda casual that I can jump in on and shoot dudes.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

jabro posted:

It's okay for people to like something you don't.

If someone played the game recently and aren't just remembering when they played it on PS2, I just don't know how you could not bring up the abysmal controls. Like the first Resident Evil on PS1 was an amazing game when I first played it, but I don't think I could enjoy anything that used those controls now for that style of game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Luminous Cow posted:

I want a fun multi-player shooter. The only shooter I have on ps4 is Destiny. I've heard overwatch is cool, but is there anything else out there I should look at? How's call of duty doing? I haven't played cod since mw first came out. I just want something kinda casual that I can jump in on and shoot dudes.

BLOPSIII is pretty cool but Infinite Warfare might be amazeballs fuckawesome so I'd say hold off until that comes out to decide. BLOPS is probably still like 80 bucks.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luminous Cow posted:

Titanfall 2 is free demoing this weekend (now) and next

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Luminous Cow posted:

Overwatch is loving awesome, I've been playing since launch. There's definitely depth but it's extremely accessible, very addictive, lots of color and character, big population.

The big criticism most people have is that there's no single player, and the game doesn't have an enormous variety of maps or modes, so some people thought $60 was too high of a price. But if you're just wanting something casual, I think it's a very strong candidate.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Looking through the sale Carnage Heart Exa sparked memory and it was indeed that game where you program mechs to fight autonomously. It simultaneously sounds great and terrible and I was wondering where it actually lies on that spectrum.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

In Training posted:

BLOPSIII is pretty cool but Infinite Warfare might be amazeballs fuckawesome so I'd say hold off until that comes out to decide. BLOPS is probably still like 80 bucks.

That's not coming out til November though

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Overwatch is loving awesome, I've been playing since launch. There's definitely depth but it's extremely accessible, very addictive, lots of color and character, big population.

The big criticism most people have is that there's no single player, and the game doesn't have an enormous variety of maps or modes, so some people thought $60 was too high of a price. But if you're just wanting something casual, I think it's a very strong candidate.

My problem with overwatch is I can't decide whether to get it on console or pc

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Is Saturday Morning RPG any good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luminous Cow posted:

Do you want to play sniper?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
PC if you want to play more seriously, PS4 if you want to be more casual.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Do you want to play sniper?

I hate sniping

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Luminous Cow posted:

I hate sniping

Consoles fine then

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Luminous Cow posted:

Star Wars Battlefront. Added a load of free content since launch, and is a great game to play casually between other games.

Battlefield 1 is only two months away and that's going to be awesome.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

acumen posted:

I traded my physical copy of Witcher 3 in when Dark Souls 3 came out but I've been regretting finishing it ever since. If I get the digital version my save game should work right?
No. Didn't for me in the UK, anyway.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

axleblaze posted:

Is Saturday Morning RPG any good?

I want to know this too.

New flash today and this is the only game I am considering getting out of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

speaking of wonky cameras, the GTA trilogy is on ps4 and i assume they still have the same camera control as they did on the ps2?

Yeah, I bought GTA:SA by itself and the camera is definitely wonky. It's especially bad when you're aiming because it will switch to whatever the character is looking at, not the camera.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Star Wars Battlefront. Added a load of free content since launch, and is a great game to play casually between other games.

Battlefield 1 is only two months away and that's going to be awesome.

I forgot that game existed. I'll look into it. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I bought GTA:SA by itself and the camera is definitely wonky. It's especially bad when you're aiming because it will switch to whatever the character is looking at, not the camera.

And San Andreas is the only one of the trilogy that even uses the right stick as a proper camera control. I was genuinely shocked when I picked up Vice City (very LTTP) and found right-stick camera control still wasn't a standard by that point.

It's amazing how beloved those old GTA games are considering most of the gameplay is utter garbo. I've bought most of them more than once, and will again to get the PS4 versions at some point, but man alive the shooting was a bag of hot rear end, and the lack of checkpoints... and the health regen system...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The GTA games and Bully were pretty much the only open world games around during the PS2/Xbox generation, it wasn't until the 360 years that they became as common as they are now and other people started refining the controls.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

RE: FF6 on PS1

I played it when it first came out and thought the battle/menu lag was manageable, unlike Chrono Trigger. Still inferior to the GBA version, but it's totally playable.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Do cheats work on the PS4 GTA rereleases? I don't think I'd want to play them again without infinite armor.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

No. Didn't for me in the UK, anyway.

Maybe you had a disc from another region. In north america i've had plenty of games work with saves on disc and later digital.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harlock posted:

RE: FF6 on PS1

I played it when it first came out and thought the battle/menu lag was manageable, unlike Chrono Trigger. Still inferior to the GBA version, but it's totally playable.

Likewise I did the same and the lag was so atrocious compared to the SNES version that I never played past South Figaro.

You take a lot more hits when it takes 5 times longer to input all commands.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rinkles posted:

Do cheats work on the PS4 GTA rereleases? I don't think I'd want to play them again without infinite armor.

Can't think of any reason they wouldn't. The PS2 on PS4 ports really don't have extras or changes in general for any title, they're like the PSX games you can get for PS3/PSP/Vita but with a fancier emulator. I think VC and San Andreas did lose some licensed radio tracks but that's about it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought the PS1 version of FF6 when it was on sale some time ago and it's pretty bad. The loading times are incomprehensibly long. In the end I just played it on a SNES emulator, at least guilt-free that I'd already paid for it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

It's amazing how beloved those old GTA games are considering most of the gameplay is utter garbo. I've bought most of them more than once, and will again to get the PS4 versions at some point, but man alive the shooting was a bag of hot rear end, and the lack of checkpoints... and the health regen system...

Yeah they were revolutionary for the time but going back and playing them now is rough.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

So a couple of those Neptunia games are in the sale. I kinda want a chill JRPG I can breeze through, but it looks like the bad kind of anime, so I'm on the fence about it.

e: the battles look kind of neat, but the visual novel/cutscene parts look really embarrassing.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Maybe you had a disc from another region. In north america i've had plenty of games work with saves on disc and later digital.
No, definitely not, and so have I - just not The Witcher 3.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

So a couple of those Neptunia games are in the sale. I kinda want a chill JRPG I can breeze through, but it looks like the bad kind of anime, so I'm on the fence about it.

e: the battles look kind of neat, but the visual novel/cutscene parts look really embarrassing.

The newer ones are better than the older ones. Almost all of the spin-offs are nothing to write home about and rely heavily on you liking the characters enough to slog through them. Neptunia is the kind of series that you either love or hate. If you like anime tropes and meme-heavy humor, you could do a lot worse for a casual jRPG to run through.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Agrias120 posted:

The newer ones are better than the older ones. Almost all of the spin-offs are nothing to write home about and rely heavily on you liking the characters enough to slog through them. Neptunia is the kind of series that you either love or hate. If you like anime tropes and meme-heavy humor, you could do a lot worse for a casual jRPG to run through.

Yeah, I enjoy the story parts of Disgaea games. Neptunia seems kind of like that plus some creepy fan service.
If it's not too creepy or offputting, I might get the Vita one that's on sale since it's a little cheaper.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Yeah, I enjoy the story parts of Disgaea games. Neptunia seems kind of like that plus some creepy fan service.

If you like the story parts of Disgaea, you'll probably like Neptunia. I think they both hit a lot of the same notes, and the newer Neptunia games (basically from ReBirth:1 onward) have gameplay that ranges from inoffensive to decent attached.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ludwig van Halen posted:

If it's not too creepy or offputting, I might get the Vita one that's on sale since it's a little cheaper.

Rebirth 2 is the only one that approaches creepy afaik, but that depends on whether you consider all fan service creepy or not.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

No, definitely not, and so have I - just not The Witcher 3.

I think The Witcher 3 does have a technical discrepancy between the disc and digital versions and handle audio language availability differently. Still dumb that it happens, though. And they've confirmed that the GOTY edition will have a fresh set of trophies and its saves being incompatible with the original version. :toot:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Luminous Cow posted:

They actually balance the games separately at this point to make up for certain things being much stronger on console. They're slowly going to become 2 different games it seems like.

It's the most fun I've had with a PC multiplayer shooter since the launch window of TF2 though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Luminous Cow posted:

It will likely be dead on consoles within a year as people move on to the next big shooter, whereas it's going to have a PC playerbase for the next 3-4 years at least, so that's something to keep in consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Lemon-Lime posted:

It will likely be dead on consoles within a year as people move on to the next big shooter, whereas it's going to have a PC playerbase for the next 3-4 years at least, so that's something to keep in consideration.
Er, you think so? I dunno, if Blizzard keeps parity with the PC release (albeit at a slightly slower patch schedule) along with supporting new seasonal events and free characters and maps, I can see the game lasting quite a while, even on consoles.

• Locked thread