Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

There is no reason to have a break between seasons. Even if they have things they are going to change its not like they have to shut down a game mode for weeks in order to change it on a patch day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

chumbler posted:

Do they think continuous rolling seasons or brief breaks between seasons are both new or something? I don't particularly see a reason to even have the breaks apart from introduction of a new map, mode, character, or rules change, which it sounds like wasn't really a consideration anyway given the "continuous seasons might fatigue people" answer.

I never really played competitive so it doesn't really affect me much anyway, it's just their reasoning is odd.

Skimming the thread, it seems like a group of people like the break because they burn themselves out grinding ranks.

As far as Blizzard go, I suspect they want seasons and breaks because it creates the illusion of a taking part in a real sport.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 20, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It means everyone gets excited and does placements at the same time, which is ideal.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

flashman posted:

There is no reason to have a break between seasons. Even if they have things they are going to change its not like they have to shut down a game mode for weeks in order to change it on a patch day.

i remember them giving a reason for having a break but hell if i can remember what it was

i think it was in one of kaplan's dev update videos

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
People burn themselves out grinding ranks because there's a finite amount of time to get them. Matchmaking should be a tool for finding equally-skilled players, not a grind/reward system.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean to be clear they don't actually need any more reason to do something like this than "we felt like it". The reasons they gave are just weird and there is no apparent benefit to them to have the break. Players burning out because of ranked anxiety isn't really a big problem for a pay up front game, and might actually lead to more gambling box sales.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's pretty annoying to have the fun mode of the game locked to save me from myself.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Somebody tell me the secret to winston. Like I think I know how to play him but then a lucio with his own healing plus a zen orb out heals my damage and I just get dismayed.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20748596011?page=6#post-103

Jeff Kaplan posted:

Really great feedback and insights, everyone. Thank you.

Right now it seems like:

1) ***IF*** we take a break between future seasons, we should make sure there is some way to play the Competitive Format during the downtime. This could mean a lot of things. I think there are a lot of solutions to this problem.

2) We should re-evaluate the length of time between seasons. The current break feels too long or at least that seems to be the consensus, and what we're feeling ourselves as players... But the question on #2 is, do we feel as a community that some "break" is actually good or not? Again, assume we fix #1 IF we are going to have a break. The reason I am asking is that some might feel a fatigue from constantly rolling seasons. For example, do you want a week? Or a day? Maybe to either take a break from Comp or OW? Or maybe to try out some new heroes you don't normally play in Comp? Or should we strive to minimize any downtime between seasons?

Obviously, Season 1 and 2 are kind of set on their course at this point. We can't make Season 2 start any sooner and Season 1 is done. So I am more asking about how we fine tune this feature for the end of Season 2 and beginning of Season 3.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Poopy Palpy posted:

What are the odds that it was still even the enemy spawn after 3 minutes of the team being down 5 to 6?

It was the last point of dorado. And i was gold elim silver dmg symmetra ill have you know. Also lol if you take qp seriously and not an opportunity to work on your symmetra

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

also there's gonna be 2 versions of the new Reinhardt skin:

Jeff Kaplan posted:

There are two versions of the skin:

A "pristine" version and an "overgrown" version

Both are available in the Hero Gallery for 1000 credits or can be obtained via loot boxes.

http://www.overstalk.io/?sources=BLIZZARD_FORUM is a good site to bookmark cause gently caress going to the actual forums

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I like the break, I just hope that people get over the 50% Mei metta.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
And get onto the 100% Mei meta train

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I like the break and that I can try the new season on PTR. My experience in solo comp on PTR is light years better than on live servers. I don't know if it's because I took a few days off or its that just the good/dedicated play PTR but this is great. It's also letting me realize I am way better at Roadhog than any other hero.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I don't mind having a break between seasons but it would be cool if they kept the mode open during the off-season and you just didn't get a delineated, surfaced "rank" outside of your hidden MMR for that time. I can understand the logic behind having a break where you don't have to worry about gaining or losing rank and the rewards that come with it, but it's still nice to have a mode where everybody is playing For Real and a mode where people are taking it easy.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fibby Boy posted:

Somebody tell me the secret to winston. Like I think I know how to play him but then a lucio with his own healing plus a zen orb out heals my damage and I just get dismayed.

Commoners posted:

Commoner's Guide to Overwatch Scientist

Just to give myself some science credentials and bragging- https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/DrBanelingMD-1595/heroes/winston?mode=competitive

Winston is my most played between quick play and competitive, and he is one of the three heroes that was responsible for getting me into the top 500 relatively easily, the other two being Reinhardt and Zenyatta. He was useful from the climb up from 54, and is still a solid pick in the 70+ games. Most of my climbing games were in the solo queue, though a lot of friends I've made would pull me into groups to play Winston because they were sick of Genjis scuttling up the walls like roaches.

So this is being written with the understanding that you have a basic knowledge of Winston in that he's a scientist with a jetpack and lightning gun. I believe him to be one of the stronger tanks in the game, but he is also one of the tanks that is most severely punished by his counters (Bastion, Roadhog, Reaper, and Zenyatta.) He is definitely not a swiss army knife hero that can be used in any situation, but he definitely is a core hero that, when played well, is able to shake up game flow in your team's favor. If some of it gets too tl;dr for you guys I'm bolding some of the more important parts.

Primary Role and Mindset

A lot of people say that Winston's primary role is to create chaos. This works at lower tiers of game play where communication is poor (if it exists) and people can remain completely unaware of a jetpacking tank landing and murdering the people directly behind them. There's an uncanny valley as you go up in ranks where he can no longer do this due to teams collapsing on him and people begin thinking that he sucks and completely write him off as a hero, and then at the higher tiers there is a rediscovery of his usefulness where hitscan heroes and Genjis start becoming significant problems.

His biggest role is zoning, followed closely by punishment.

One of Winston's most powerful tools is his presence. Teams know that they have to prioritize him when he drops in, partly because he is a relatively easy pick if he isolates himself and another part that if he is left alone he will eat anything that has 200hp or no armor. They have to keep their supports close in, and their flankers can't afford to be spending their skills running about willy nilly when they may need them to escape the ape. More conservative movement, use of skills, and tolerance of danger during skirmishes is forced because Winston is an opportunist. If the enemy team does not play carefully with Winston present, he is able to actively punish them for their mistakes. Always look for opportunities, quickly assess the risk of taking that opportunity, and if it's in your favor take it. Dedicate your the brainpower you aren't spending aiming towards your positioning and your spacial awareness.

At the beginning of a fight where teams are skirmishing Winston just needs to hang out, maybe provide a bubble shield, and generally keep a watch out for anyone getting out of position where they are isolated from their team. If you see a teammate engaged in a 1v1 for some reason, jump to them and turn it into a 2v1. If you see a lone enemy nonflanker/nontank that has isolated themselves like McCree, Soldier, Widowmaker, Hanzo, or any of the supports, go ahead and jump on them, because they will be forced to either reposition or die trying. If the enemy has a Genji or Tracer present, watch for when they take their dive into knife fighting range and jump on them to keep your teammates alive and unharmed, but don't chase them unless it's just a guaranteed kill. Genji and Tracer are generally able to keep you at range, and if you chase after them from health kit to health kit it will end in you being dead and them having their ults charged very quickly. Your job is to zone them out and keep them away from your DPS and support allies who are doing their jobs. Keep the monkeys off their backs so they can do their work.

Skirmishing and maneuvering will generally end in one of two ways- The enemy team will disengage due to losses during the skirmish, or they will push in due to the field being neutral or them having an advantage. If the enemy engages, then you are entering the team fighting phase where Winston becomes much less reactionary and is a much more active participant in the fight. To maximize Winston's damage output and effectiveness you're looking for a few things in particular- Getting as many enemies under his lightning gun at once, landing your jetpack on as many enemies at once, body blocking slower targets at choke points to split the team, and prioritizing the wounded and nearly dead targets first. Sometimes during the fight you will have a priority target that you are trying to nullify, like a well played Genji, McCree, or Widowmaker, in which case you will largely ignore the team fight until that particular target is dealt with. Diminishing the presence and effectiveness of an ace player will sometimes contribute more to your team's effectiveness than going after the enemy team as a whole. Make their lives hell until they switch to Reaper or Roadhog.

Generally speaking- Winston's mobility means that he picks when, where, and who he fights, so the wise scientist will only enter favorable engagements where his resources are available, he has more teammates, and his positioning is superior. Do not just yolo into the whole enemy team with your jetpack, all you will accomplish is feeding all of their ult meters.

How to Engage

There are three basic, routine engagement styles with Winston.

The first most commonly used is the jumping engagement. This one is when you use your jump pack to leap onto a priority target, immediately drop shield, and then dance around while zapping the target. This engagement is generally used on single targets that you either want to oust from their position, distract temporarily, or kill. By using your jump and bubble to engage, you leave yourself completely vulnerable and have nothing to escape with if things turn against you, and additionally have nothing to chase with if things are swinging in your favor. If the enemy character has an escape skill like Genji's dash or Widowmaker's grappling hook, you're also poo poo out of luck and are unlikely to be able to pursue someone that has their head on their shoulders in regard to running away from Winston. Characters that have already used their skills, or ones without escapes like McCree or Zenyatta are particularly vulnerable to this engagement because you can just chase after them and slowly electrocute them to death while they try to fight you off. Landing your jump directly on the enemy will deal 50 damage will will shorten your time to kill on them by almost a full second, so try to not miss your landing! This type of engagement is the easiest and quickest way to be murdered as Winston, and inexperienced or bad Winston players will use this engagement type to fight and die against the entire enemy team. Only use jumping engagements when you're sure you will have room to sit on your rear end for six seconds while your jetpack comes back online.

Next, there's the drop engagement. The name implies that you are literally going to be dropping on the enemy from a vertical advantage, and it is best used in that manner, but you could technically just run up to the enemy or run around a corner and begin engaging them. With this style you retain use of your jetpack and use your bubble to try to soak some enemy damage. This is the style of engagement you use to attack a full enemy team. The biggest thing to factor in while performing this engagement is minimizing damage while you close, which is why it is most successfully done from up high or around corners. By not using your jetpack you are left with multiple options depending on how the engagement goes- If you are taking too much damage and cannot stay in the fight you can jetpack to disengage. Disengaging as a decision has to be made while you still have a decent amount of hit points remaining, because enemy players will be able to get parting shots on you. Decide if you're going to disengage once you're down to 300hp. If the enemy team is starting to crumple under your team's pressure, you can use your jetpack to chase after the wounded or characters who have exhausted their own skills. These drop engagements should be your bread and butter for team fighting, because they keep you in control of the overall situation.

The final type is what I like to call brick engagements, because it is stupidly simple. These engagements are when your team balls up into a group of six, Lucio speed boosts into the enemy, and you hold down M1 and W while furiously mashing shift and E while staring at the enemy. These are generally done blindly with only limited information on where the enemy is, what their composition is, and what skills they have or have not used. The goal of a brick engagement is to go full shock and awe, completely skip the skirmishing phase, and as quickly as possible enter the knife fighting phase of a team fight. This relies on your team being present and cognizant of the rush plan, and is best performed at the start of matches before ultimates can be charged due to their disruptive nature. Winston does well in these because he can either shock multiple people at once, go after stragglers, or chase down the wounded if they try to disengage from the fight. Generally speaking this engagement type will very commonly end with Winston dead and either the entire enemy team dead, or your entire team dead alongside you.

Primal Rage

Winston's ultimate instantly gives him 1000hp, reduces his jetpack cooldown to two seconds, and enables him to swing his arms around for forty damage a swing while knocking players around. When he activates primal rage and when it ends his jetpack is instantly refreshed. One important thing to keep in mind is that, besides exceptional circumstances, you should not engage the enemy with primal rage. It is a waste. Pocket primal rage and engage with the enemy normally, but once you hit 100 hit points (or sooner if you're taking damage significantly fast) pop it. This means that the enemy has to work through 1,300 hit points including your bubble shield before they have to work through another thousand hit points after you primal rage. If you time everything correctly, after primal rage ends you should have another bubble shield available for at least 800 hit points that they have to work through to get to you. If you're near any pits or cliffs, position yourself so that you are able to bat enemies into them. Your damage output is extremely poor while in primal rage, and you become a huge glowing priority target by the enemy. If you are prematurely about to die while raging as Winston, do not be afraid to disengage. The time it costs to respawn is a huge penalty, and it is totally worth grabbing a healing kit or getting healed by a support instead of dying and wasting that time. Never stop jumping while you're in a primal rage, because it's another 25 damage per second that you sacrifice if you stop, and never stop swinging your arms.

You have a few distinct uses for primal rage-

Usually the best option is to focus one or two targets and kidnap them. This can be a primary tank like Reinhardt, a squishy DPS characters, or the supports. Try to pick out the most effective enemy player and remove them from the fight by pushing them back, jetpacking into them, and then pushing them back again. You can push people across an entire stage if you aim your swings properly, and if you back them into a corner you are almost assuredly going to be able to beat them to death while they're pinned to the ceiling and alone. The moment that you finish the target off, immediately jetpack back towards the fight and target another character.

The other use is to remove enemies from superior positioning. This is done in places like the second stage of Hollywood where teams should be vying for rooftop control of the stage, or places like the server room when an enemy has a Reinhardt shield to hide behind. You want to scatter enemy characters off of the high ground, and if you are in an area to do it try to scatter them apart to different sides of the building so that they are separated. Tell your team in advance that you intend to do this so they can best capitalize on the enemy team being all over the place.

One thing to keep in mind- If your team is already mostly dead and the enemy team is mostly alive, don't be afraid to just die without using primal rage. Use it in desperate circumstances like that if you have to force overtime or lose, but otherwise try to use it while your team members are still alive and can exploit the fact that you are pushing everyone out of positioning.

When to Switch

Winston suffers hard from his counters, but if you play him properly the characters you're harassing will also be suffering. If the enemy team has a good Genji, McCree, S76, Widowmaker, or really well played supports Winston is an A+ pick due to being able to make their games a hellish experience. He is worth bringing out if any of those characters are being fielded.

For putting him away I follow what I call the Rule of Twos and Threes. If an enemy team has Roadhog, Reaper, and Zenyatta all at once you absolutely are in an environment where you cannot use Winston and it is time to switch to a more effective character. If the enemy has any two of those counter characters, and also has any two of Genji, McCree, S76, Widowmaker, or Ana, then the benefits your team will face from shutting down those characters will generally outweigh the risk that you take from playing Winston in those circumstances.

The Buddy System and Flanking

Winston can work alone, but his effectiveness is amplified greatly if he has a buddy to flank with. Tracer, Genji, and D.va are all particularly effective due to their high mobility, and when you work with them you can make significantly more dangerous dives with much reduced risk. Winston has huge problems finishing characters off because of his relatively long time to kill, but working with a teammate can significantly shorten that time to kill. Generally speaking, you only want to flank with Winston when there is another flanker that he can work with. The current meta has McCree and Zenyatta in heavy use, and throwing two flankers at those heroes kills them very, very quickly for relatively low risk, because the only way those two can escape an attack is by killing their way out. Stay in sync with your buddy flanker, withdraw when they withdraw, and attack when they attack (which is hopefully at the same time that your team is attacking.)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So what's comp right now with the season being over and season 2 not until the 6th?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So this just happened:

:stare:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I would literally rather blow my brains out than play Shitmettra for 100+ hours.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

there are many reasons for someone to spend absurd amounts of time on a video game nowadays, it's not even shocking. there's someone out there who has played for the maximum amount of time they've spent awake and conscious, eschewing family, friends, employment and health.

just slampicking hanzo. always and forever.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I did it. I feel like I finally made it in Overwatch:

http://i.imgur.com/PG8LXjG.gifv

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Ragequit posted:

I did it. I feel like I finally made it in Overwatch:

http://i.imgur.com/PG8LXjG.gifv

You're not laying on the floor dead when that happened, doesn't count :colbert:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Fister posted:

You're not laying on the floor dead when that happened, doesn't count :colbert:

Yeah I have a habit of clicking to watch my team. I know it's nowhere near the torb death video tier.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Tom Gorman posted:

there are many reasons for someone to spend absurd amounts of time on a video game nowadays, it's not even shocking. there's someone out there who has played for the maximum amount of time they've spent awake and conscious, eschewing family, friends, employment and health.

just slampicking hanzo. always and forever.

That guy is going to be so bad for a few days when they make the arrows fast

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Not likely as they have opted to make the arrow hitbox eighty times larger

strong bird
May 12, 2009

This game needs damage numbers and the quake hit sound

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It'd help if there was a decent brawl. Lucioball is losing its luster now that everyone's figured out the cheese tricks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

So this just happened:

:stare:

what level do you have to be to get that silver portrait thing? I saw a dude that was in the high 500s once but he was still bronze with stars under his portrait

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Manatee Cannon posted:

what level do you have to be to get that silver portrait thing? I saw a dude that was in the high 500s once but he was still bronze with stars under his portrait

http://imgur.com/gallery/OD5MS

600's

stars reset at 5.(500 levels)

color changes after that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, she's 693.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Highest atm is 830.

http://masteroverwatch.com/leaderboards/pc/us/mode/ranked/category/level

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Actually how the gently caress did they play so many hours of symmetra?

She's relevant on so few maps.
Unless they are doing some next level poo poo.

Also
I guess i missed the patch that made everyone hate quickplay and love competitive.
Last I knew everyone despised comp.
I still can't take the game serious on that level but I wish there was a mode inbetween the two.

I love experimental teams, but 6 reaper isn't nearly as fun to take part in or play against as people think

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Well on the PTR comp means only one hanzo per team instead of 3-4.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Maxing out bastions and Reinhardt to shield them seems to be 'the thing' since his short came out, played against it several times and now just got stuck on a team that everyone tried to do it - haven't actually seen it work once of course.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Metos posted:

Maxing out bastions and Reinhardt to shield them seems to be 'the thing' since his short came out, played against it several times and now just got stuck on a team that everyone tried to do it - haven't actually seen it work once of course.

The answer is 5 Reinhardt 1 Lucio and simultaneously firestrike the opposing Reinhardt and Bastion.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

NmareBfly posted:

Great Winston tips...

Thanks for this.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just want the next season to start because there seems to be an uptick in salt in quickplay and it's really harshing my vibe, man.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I can't do a goddamn thing against ana. Every time I attack with a flanker, I get slept and headshot. What should I be doing?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

CaptainScraps posted:

I can't do a goddamn thing against ana. Every time I attack with a flanker, I get slept and headshot. What should I be doing?

Well she can't headshot, so I don't know how that's happening to you, but the sleep dart is a legit problem. Fortunately, it has a long cooldown and isnt as big as Hanzo's logs, so you can dodge it if you just move erratically on the approach. If you haven't killed her by the time she's ready to shoot her next dart, you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Commoners posted:

The answer is 5 Reinhardt 1 Lucio and simultaneously firestrike the opposing Reinhardt and Bastion.
The answer is literally anything because the days of being brain dead and running into bastions endlessly are over and people generally pick roadhog/genji/junkrat/hanzo anyway in quick play and have half an idea of how to play.

The people picking those bastion teams on the other hand...