Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Daemoxx posted:

I have a 25" inseam when I'm measuring it as generously as I possibly can. I literally could not get enough of a (single) toe down on the Ninja 300 I sat on to get it off the sidestand while on the seat. I sat on a bunch of bikes and even a bunch of low seated cruisers gave me difficulty getting my feet in line with the controls with any degree of comfort. Do I want to move up eventually? Probably. But for right now I'm just stoked to have something I can ride around with and at least get one foot down flat (to put both feet down, I'm literally on tiptoes), and people are hilariously slow drivers here anyway. Being short as gently caress sucks sometimes.

I'd recommend a set of Daytona lady star gtx boots - not as protective as a proper race boot, but +2 inches of height will make a big difference.

Also, shaving seats down will get you another inch or 2 out of most bikes, for when the day comes were you want to try something new. On the bright side not being able to get both feet down will make you a better rider!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I disagree with your last sentence and submit myself as proof.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I never put both feet down on anything. I have a 28" inseam so I just hang off a bit to the left side and put one foot down. Even with a passenger it's fine.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
A lot of people here keep recommending bikes and shoes, but I think maybe you should just get taller?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gattaca ur legs, imo

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Chichevache posted:

A lot of people here keep recommending bikes and shoes, but I think maybe you should just get taller?

The reminded me of the Tallest from Invader Zim.

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]

Z3n posted:

I'd recommend a set of Daytona lady star gtx boots - not as protective as a proper race boot, but +2 inches of height will make a big difference.

Also, shaving seats down will get you another inch or 2 out of most bikes, for when the day comes were you want to try something new. On the bright side not being able to get both feet down will make you a better rider!

I'll look into those. I have wide but short feet (size 7 men's, yay) so I was having difficulty finding boots that fit well. Gear in general has been a pain because it's all women's gear and therefore cut with space in all the wrong places and not enough space in the shoulders. The guys at cycle gear kind of shrugged and said that I should find a tailor or just not worry about the gear.

As far as the bike, I'll ride this one until it gets boring because full coverage is only $30 a month and I've had my endorsement a whole... Month or so? Can't complain too much.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

As I was walking to my car after work today, some lady in a parallel spot yells to me: "Excuse me, is there a motorcycle behind me?"

It was a beautiful looking MV Augusta, so I helped her back up and not hit it. She still almost did. The bike wasn't super close or anything, so I don't know how she didn't see it before she got in, or why she couldn't confirm it was there without asking someone else.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

http://sidneydailynews.com/news/crime/40404/coyle-sentenced-in-fatal-motorcycle-accident
A trucker ran a stop sign, ran over a biker, drug him, didn't stop until he was pulled over miles after the wreck and what does he get?
60 days, $1,500 & 5 years of probation.
:suicide:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Retarded Pimp posted:

http://sidneydailynews.com/news/crime/40404/coyle-sentenced-in-fatal-motorcycle-accident
A trucker ran a stop sign, ran over a biker, drug him, didn't stop until he was pulled over miles after the wreck and what does he get?
60 days, $1,500 & 5 years of probation.
:suicide:

"his license will be suspended for six months" - what a loving joke. The least they could do was take away his license forever.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
if i shoot someone on accident, the best thing i can hope for is community service and losing my 2nd amendment, this is ridiculous.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Maybe I missed it in the article, but how did the rider run into a semi?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Maybe I missed it in the article, but how did the rider run into a semi?

The truck driver blew the stop sign turning left at point A at Kirkwood Rd & 25-A and ran over the rider, point B is where he was pulled over.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.2141483,-84.1631383/40.2844031,-84.1578269/@40.2663342,-84.1594945,5267m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Retarded Pimp posted:

The truck driver blew the stop sign turning left at point A at Kirkwood Rd & 25-A and ran over the rider, point B is where he was pulled over.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.2141483,-84.1631383/40.2844031,-84.1578269/@40.2663342,-84.1594945,5267m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

I missed the part about him turning left. I was visualizing a four way stop that the driver blew through. I was wondering why the rider would just plow into the side of a truck.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The methheads next door have bought a sportster. Hooray! Now I get to hear it start up on average once an hour, revved for a bit then either A. idled for ten minutes and switched off or B. ridden to the end of the street and back, then A.

Also went to the chip shop down the road a couple of nights ago and the rider (I'm not gonna say owner) wobbled into the parking lot, proceeded to have three near misses with three different vehicles then attempted to reverse-park next to a prado and scraped the bike about a meter along the side of said prado before giving up and riding off again.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
At least it's not a unique bike that's worth crying over?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The old biddy down the road called the pigs and swore she heard a dirt bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

The old biddy down the road called the pigs and swore she heard a dirt bike.

She was next door and, ironically, I now work on her nephew's MX bikes.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

As I typed in motorcycle, my phone suggested "forum" as the next word. This might be a sign of how much I actually ride.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco

Slavvy posted:

She was next door and, ironically, I now work on her nephew's MX bikes.

Are they red? :tinfoil:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Oh boy, a month of lovely loose gravel roads.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Dog Case posted:

Oh boy, a month of lovely loose gravel roads.

Most of the time I see 'motorcycles use extreme caution' signs, it turns out to be a small dip or some rough pavement; hardly concerning. Thanks for reminding me that I shouldn't get complacent, and sometimes it really does mean be careful!

Also sorry, hope that's not one of your favorite roads.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My favorite roads all start with a sign reading LARGE TRUCKS NOT ADVISED

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
They've started ripping up a ton of roads I regularly ride on in my area, with really bad uneven and grooved pavement, along with random 5 inch high bumps here and there. But, I ride a supermoto, so I kinda love it.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Most of the time I see 'motorcycles use extreme caution' signs, it turns out to be a small dip or some rough pavement; hardly concerning. Thanks for reminding me that I shouldn't get complacent, and sometimes it really does mean be careful!

Also sorry, hope that's not one of your favorite roads.

It's the main road I take if I want to leave my neighborhood

I didn't check to see if the other option has signs too.

Chipseal :arghfist::mad:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

I will not miss that about Texas.

Just the Brisket.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

gently caress that poo poo so hard.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Man, I wish it was cheaper in the UK to get a full licence, £600-700 just to get onto something bigger than my 125 :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
And that's if you pass everything first time! :suicide:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Keket posted:

Man, I wish it was cheaper in the UK to get a full licence, £600-700 just to get onto something bigger than my 125 :(

How much does it cost to get the 125 learner? (I may not have the order or terminology right. Sorry, bloke.)

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
About £100-120 for a two year entitlement certificate.

e/ If you've got no other kind of driving licence you also have to pay £34 for a provisional bike licence (I already had a full car licence when I started learning to biek, so I didn't have to pay this)

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 24, 2016

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Come to the glorious US and A where you ride a Busa on a written test temporary license that you just need to renew every 6 months to be legal.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

You *can* take a 2-day DAS, and fail miserably, because the bike test is deliberately really loving hard.

When you think about what you're actually getting the DAS is actually a pretty sweet deal with a half-decent provider.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You *can* take a 2-day DAS, and fail miserably, because the bike test is deliberately really loving hard.

When you think about what you're actually getting the DAS is actually a pretty sweet deal with a half-decent provider.

Can you take the test on a trials bike?

What about something like the beta xtrainer?

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That IS the going rate for a 2dayer from what I've seen.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

builds character posted:

Can you take the test on a trials bike?

What about something like the beta xtrainer?

Too small. The minimum displacement for DAS is 600cc.

You theoretically can bring your own bike, but good loving luck getting it insured without breaking the bank. You also wouldn't be allowed to ride it to the test centre unless accompanied by a registered instructor, so I hope you've got a trailer.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Come to the glorious US and A where you ride a Busa on a written test temporary license that you just need to renew every 6 months to be legal.

Don't forget the option of just riding without a license.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

hot sauce posted:

Don't forget the option of just riding without a license.

This is far more common than you'd think. Most of the old Harley dudes around here don't have licenses, never did. The ones that did lost them when the meddling guvmint took them away after DUI #8.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Keket posted:

That IS the going rate for a 2dayer from what I've seen.

£500 for a three-dayer including tests when my mate took it, or £600 for four days. Shop around a bit.

Like I say, 120-odd quid a day considering the day includes >6 hours of instruction, hire and insurance is really a pretty sweet deal.

(I paid £250 for my 3-day DAS in 2000, £400 in your future space-quid, I'm guessing the new two-part test is what's pushing the price up.)

e: Wait until you see what your insurance premium on anything bigger than 250cc is with your spanking new license, the DAS suddenly seems like a bargain

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Got a link to those places? And yeah I'm prepared for the insurance thing.