Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Mr. Crow posted:

Also what is the explanation lore wise for why we don't die?
Magical invincible Escape pods!

In the old games you could scoop them up and sell the occupants as slaves, or fertiliser, depending on your cargo bay life support situation.

But really, we're supposed to have escape pods. They were even supposed to be activated manually in ironman mode (which they seem to have quietly dropped).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

Also what is the explanation lore wise for why we don't die?

The explanation is we're always able to climb into our escape pod and escape. I'm not making GBS threads you: Every time your ship explodes, there's a last-minute escape by you, followed by being towed back to safety by rescue services.

I'd imagine your pod puts you into cold sleep or something, but most of it is the MST3K-mantra as applied to video games, so it's better to not think about it too hard.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I'm going to imagine the NPC crew gets their escape pod too, but they'll be hosed if they will ever fly with you again after you got the ship blown up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

If this gave some purpose to the escape pods you can find planetside — something other than to sell them off as illegal salvage — that would be great.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
some of the USSes you come across will be a field of debris, some escape pods, and a rescue ship jumping in to pick them up. It's kinda neat.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
More than anything I want to know where I can get FDL throw pillows.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 19, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
It was funny watching that DB interview on culture and thinking, "Holy poo poo, that's the most lore I've ever heard of with this game." I wish they had some better overviews without having to pick through make believe news articles.

Also, for an exploration Asp, does disabling modules reduce heat from the ship so I could chill near a star for longer? Also, does it make more sense to have a 4a power plant and be able to run everything at once, or a 3a power plant and only have shield OR vehicle hangar OR AMFU's with their default status being disabled?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Disable modules to reduce heat and fit in smallest power plant you can to increase jump range.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

Libluini posted:

Every time your ship explodes, there's a last-minute escape by you, followed by being towed back to safety by rescue services.

I always thought that if your ship ran out of fuel, it should be handled the same way that Desert Bus works - you call a tow truck and they tow you back. In real time, as you watch. At 45mph.

IcePheenix
Mar 4, 2008

tooterfish posted:

But really, we're supposed to have escape pods. They were even supposed to be activated manually in ironman mode (which they seem to have quietly dropped).

I want to know more about this but I fear it will only make me sad.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
landing on planets is cool, but I went to this one place that I'm really sure was crazy glitched. The infrastructure of the base was floating like a kilometer above the landing pads, which themselves just melted into the planet

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

It was funny watching that DB interview on culture and thinking, "Holy poo poo, that's the most lore I've ever heard of with this game." I wish they had some better overviews without having to pick through make believe news articles.

Also, I thought "that's how Sheldon Cooper will look like in Season 37 of the Big Bang Theory".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

IcePheenix posted:

I want to know more about this but I fear it will only make me sad.
You were supposed to get an escape pod module that you'd have to manually activate if you thought your ship wasn't going to survive. The pod itself would be indestructible once used, but the ship module could take damage just like any other... so if you tried to activate it too late it might malfunction on you.

If you went down with your ship, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH7KYmGnj40

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is engineers poo poo worth pursuing in my Vulture, or is it only worth it for bigger more expensive ships?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Man going from my asp explorer to my FAS after several months really sucks. Why is the jump range so low, why do I have no fuel, why am I burning alive while trying to scoop fuel :ohdear: It feels like having an armed high range FSD ship is the way to go these days.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Is engineers poo poo worth pursuing in my Vulture, or is it only worth it for bigger more expensive ships?

It's worth pursuing in any ship you use a lot. Exactly what upgrades you want will vary from ship to ship and use case to use case, of course, so it might not be worth pursuing some of them.

Arguably, it's worth it even more in smaller ships because you get more use out of your limited slots, whereas on bigger ships, you can get the same effect by just buying more boosters/guns/armour/whathaveyou. If you have 4 slots that you absolutely must dedicate to your shield tank (or whatever), then upgrading them so that you effectively have 6 slots worth of tank is worth a lot more than if your ship already gives you a choice to use anywhere between 4–6 slots from the get-go.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I'm currently working on Engineer upgrades for my Vulture as a change of pace and it is the coolest poo poo. I have a 22ly jump range, hit 520m/s when boosting, and turn on a pinhead. Next stop is incendiary multicannons. :unsmigghh:

If you already have a favorite bigger ship that you multi-role in a lot you might prefer to do upgrades for that first. But the Vulture will always have it's fun little niche and is totally worth pimping out.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
okay so I'm getting back into things...

Are missiles still literally garbage? any major weapons updates? whats the best way to earn some cash that isn't utterly loving boring like traderunning for someone still in a cobra?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Python ship kit looking sick as gently caress

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Angry Birds Suicide posted:

okay so I'm getting back into things...

Are missiles still literally garbage? any major weapons updates? whats the best way to earn some cash that isn't utterly loving boring like traderunning for someone still in a cobra?

Missiles are amazing now, there was a huge buff to their splash so they devastate externals like drives and weapons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Insert name here posted:

Both of those ships look at least twice as good as before.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Insert name here posted:

Only $20 for space spoilers!

e: I might legit pay $5 to put a spoiler and ground effects on my T7.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Turning every ship into an illegible mess of anime fins isn't quite my cup of tea, but if it helps Frontier pay the bills then more power to them I guess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Plek posted:

Only $20 for space spoilers!

e: I might legit pay $5 to put a spoiler and ground effects on my T7.

I'm going to buy them. My ricer Cobra Mk3 is my favorite general purpose ship.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DancingShade posted:

Both of those ships look at least twice as good as before.
I'm not entirely sold on the spiky Vulture yet but that F-117-like Python is extremely my poo poo

E: Also I just learned you can get some sick rear end canards for your Eagle with the kit so I'm really tempted to go and buy that and an Eagle even though there's no point with the iEagle existing

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 20, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Insert name here posted:

I'm not entirely sold on the spiky Vulture yet but that F-117-like Python is extremely my poo poo

E: Also I just learned you can get some sick rear end canards for your Eagle with the kit so I'm really tempted to go and buy that and an Eagle even though there's no point with the iEagle existing

Conversely I love exactly that. The Python is the sexier of the two though, no question.

The ricer kit for the Eagle looks amazing. I tried really hard to try and justify flying one again so I could purchase and use it... didn't succeed though. I guess if you literally just wanted to race or do planetside joyrides it would be a good ship.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Some of the new star effects that DB talked about.

Orca, Dolphin, Beluga, the Taipan fighter and another thingy on the left that I cannot identify..Condor maybe?

Some Fumaroles on a planet.

SRV paintjobs.

The Taipan

and a Red/White Beluga entering a luxury station.

Taken from this article.
http://www.gamestar.hu/gamescom/elite-dangerous-horizons-2-2-guardians-update-gamescom-2016-frissites-ujdonsagok-215519.html

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

timn posted:

Turning every ship into an illegible mess of anime fins isn't quite my cup of tea, but if it helps Frontier pay the bills then more power to them I guess.

If actual people were flying around these ships you know that they'd be making them look hideously gaudy so I'm cool with it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm a fan of fins and ship spikes. Plus that python is loving beautiful.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

God drat gonna dust off the gunship so hard when that patch is out.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I want all the anime fins and spikes.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I've been dying for little fighters to dock on my ship. I hope we can put paint jobs on them.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

I've been dying for little fighters to dock on my ship.
I'll bet you have you filthy bugger.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Libluini posted:

The explanation is we're always able to climb into our escape pod and escape. I'm not making GBS threads you: Every time your ship explodes, there's a last-minute escape by you, followed by being towed back to safety by rescue services.

I'd imagine your pod puts you into cold sleep or something, but most of it is the MST3K-mantra as applied to video games, so it's better to not think about it too hard.

Yes that's how video game lives work.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitmkDZm4D4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

loving.
Finally.
:gizz:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

loving.
Finally.
:gizz:

It is hopefully a first step towards a complete orrery view. They said many times that it's on the list, but they were not sure if they would be able to squeeze it in inside the horizons season.

At least we see some progress on this part.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

That's dope as gently caress.

Buuuut, is the system map now going to take ~another~ 5 minutes to load? :ohdear:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That's dope as gently caress.

Buuuut, is the system map now going to take ~another~ 5 minutes to load? :ohdear:

Nah, it'll probably use the same renders as before. Rather, it'll be the planetary view that will now also take 5 minutes to load. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsgBI_zwRcQ

As seen at Gamescom 2016!

• Locked thread