Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Freakazoid_ posted:

If I ever have kids, my game plan is to pick names from Castlevania. Half of them are european enough to not look like I named them after video games.

Gonna name my child "Kid Dracula"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
"Daddy, did you name me after that cool character from those blaxploitation movies?"

"No son, I named you after an evil sorcerer from a video game."

"I'll just tell the other kids it was from the movies."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Freakazoid_ posted:

If I ever have kids, my game plan is to pick names from Castlevania. Half of them are european enough to not look like I named them after video games.

Since most of them are like "Simon" or "Trevor," that'd be pretty boring.

Belmont would be okay because it sounds so normal but is actually as about metal as game reference names come.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Since most of them are like "Simon" or "Trevor," that'd be pretty boring.

Belmont would be okay because it sounds so normal but is actually as about metal as game reference names come.

Real Castlevania fans would name their kid Belmondo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm gonna name my kid TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

first, middle and last

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Hell, a few years ago there was a thread about some scumbag parents that went to court over getting child custody back. The guy dressed like a brownshirt/Hitler and the mother dressed as some Nazi nurse. Their kids were all named after top leaders of the Reich, one of the kids was Adolf Hitler *whatever their last name was*.
Kids got taken away and the state renamed them
Ah, here's the wonderful shitstains of humanity
http://news.sky.com/story/dad-wears-nazi-uniform-for-child-custody-case-10444000

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 20, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hodgepodge posted:

Since we're doing name chat, I always love to share this one: my kid's mother and I were going over baby names. I suggested "Gideon."

There are a surprising number* of couples who play Magic the Gathering and name their kids after Planeswalkers, essentially comic-book style heros in the game's lore. There is at least one Gideon out there named after Gideon Jura on the game.

(*really, you could argue anything greater than zero would be surprising. The fact the more popular ones are "real" names probably has a lot to do with it.)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 20, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Chuu posted:

There are a surprising number* of couples who play Magic the Gathering and name their kids after Planeswalkers, essentially comic-book style heros in the game's lore. There is at least one Gideon out there named after Gideon Jura on the game.

(*really, you could argue anything greater than zero would be surprising. The fact the more popular ones are "real" names probably has a lot to do with it.)

If we're being honest, mine is close. I played a lot of Magic back then. I had kind of liked the name before that point, though.

Of course, the real answer is retroactively

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Thank god horrible names aren't a protected class as far as HR is concerned.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Gonna name my child "Kid Dracula"

Gotta be more subtle.

Daniel Ryan Acula.

He won't realise it until he receives his first mail.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I was in the Navy, I went to school with Mars Millennium Falcon Starcruiser.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yinlock posted:

oh my god shut the gently caress up about names

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I'm going to name my kid USPOL and get him a forum account. He's going to choose the most pedantic poo poo to argue with fishmech about and permanently derail this thread forever. Maybe then you fuckers will quit talking about all the cute baby names for the kids you're never going to have.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

gfsincere posted:

And white people love to call black names ghetto and "made up".

If white people pointing out something that's currently traditionally black and saying it's dumb and animalistic and why don't you just conforrrrrrrrm isn't the biggest tell that it's about to get co-opted bigly, then I don't know what is.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a coworker who was born the day a US President visited our country.

Geralford's a pretty cool dude.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have a coworker who was born the day a US President visited our country.

Geralford's a pretty cool dude.

If we're gonna have namechat at least make it good namechat like this right here.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nessus posted:

I hope Hillary starts using that poo poo. I mean, you don't want to give the Don a sympathy bounce but you might as well smoke 'em if you got 'em.

I hope she pawns it off to the Senate races and the DCCC, so the first time anyone is reminded that Donald Trump was sued, twice, for housing discrimination is when Marco Rubio is blindsided with a request to explain why he supports someone who won't rent to black people.

Hodgepodge posted:

Since we're doing name chat, I always love to share this one: my kid's mother and I were going over baby names. I suggested "Gideon."

She loved it because that's what Jigsaw was going to name his son :unsmigghh:

Anyhow, that's how my son got his name.

So are you having to spend a lot of time forcing him to be left handed, or did you get lucky?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Gyges posted:

I hope she pawns it off to the Senate races and the DCCC, so the first time anyone is reminded that Donald Trump was sued, twice, for housing discrimination is when Marco Rubio is blindsided with a request to explain why he supports someone who won't rent to black people.

So are you having to spend a lot of time forcing him to be left handed, or did you get lucky?

Too early to tell, but he does seem to favor the left a little.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Freakazoid_ posted:

I agree. Shaft and Grant DaNasty are fine choices.

E: I know a Trevor Richter Belmont IRL

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's not a button. It's a switch and it's stuck in the on position

Seen here:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My brother is going to name his daughter "porter"

:negative:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
You could tell him you bet she'll be great at carrying loads, if you don't like him very much and want to get an early start at "Creepy relative".

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I don't mind people making up names/spellings so much, as long as I can pronounce it. Like kids names "Jase" pronounced "Chase" or "Lyndse" pronounced "Lindsay." That's a kid who's going to spend the rest of their life saying, "actually, it's pronounced _____"

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
But then they'd have to go "it's spelt like Lindsey but in a dumber way"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/766796362625212416
(Advisor = "former Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA)")

I want to know if it's a 24-hour Klan rally in running the Trump campaign. I mean, Breitbart now running things strongly hints that, but confirmation would be nice.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

All of these names are still less bad than "Le-a" with the pronounced dash.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Shortest Path posted:

All of these names are still less bad than "Le-a" with the pronounced dash.

oh cool now we're repeating racist poo poo that didn't happen. nice. can you loving morons stop talkign about names please it's worse than circumcision chat

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
There is a whole thread for terrible names right here!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

botany posted:

oh cool now we're repeating racist poo poo that didn't happen.

what

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

the "le-a" poo poo is literally from a re:re:re:fwd: look at how stupid black people are! chain letter from the 80s. it has never happened, it's not real, it's a racist meme about black people. congrats.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

KirbyKhan posted:

I wonder if the kid would realize ALUCARD is DRACULA backwards before he hears about SotN.

he might catch 'Son of Dracula' on tv (or his phone)

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Hodgepodge posted:

my kid's mother

Obvious conclusion spoiled right there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KirbyKhan posted:

I wonder if the kid would realize ALUCARD is DRACULA backwards before he hears about SotN.

Before? SOTN is how I will teach my kids to read.

*Kindergarten teacher points at picture of adult female* What is this?
*chorus of kids* "Girl" "Woman" "Lady" "Mom"
*teacher points at picture of adult male* And this?
"A MISERABLE PILE OF SECRETS! HAVE AT YOU" *throws juice box*

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CannonFodder posted:

Before? SOTN is how I will teach my kids to read.

*Kindergarten teacher points at picture of adult female* What is this?
*chorus of kids* "Girl" "Woman" "Lady" "Mom"
*teacher points at picture of adult male* And this?
"A MISERABLE PILE OF SECRETS! HAVE AT YOU" *throws juice box*

I've trained my kid that when anyone asks him what v is for he says Vendetta

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
When older people ask my parents why they named me Calvin they say Calvin Coolidge, but they actually named me after Calvin and Hobbes. My parents are cool.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You know what's better then namechat? People bitching about the topic of conversation, that's so much more interesting to read.

"I hate this topic bit can't be assed to try to come up with something new, let me be an annoying twat in the hopes someone else will become sufficiently sick of my whining to come up with a new topic"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jarmak posted:

You know what's better then namechat? People bitching about the topic of conversation, that's so much more interesting to read.

"I hate this topic bit can't be assed to try to come up with something new, let me be an annoying twat in the hopes someone else will become sufficiently sick of my whining to come up with a new topic"

This is the most insanely meta post I've ever seen.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

botany posted:

the "le-a" poo poo is literally from a re:re:re:fwd: look at how stupid black people are! chain letter from the 80s. it has never happened, it's not real, it's a racist meme about black people. congrats.

Next youll be telling me the story of "Dawon" and "Da'adawon" isnt real either :(

As far as names i always thought it was easy: Boys after badass angels (Gabriel, Uriel) and girls after classic greek stories (Andromeda, Phersphone)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

zoux posted:

This is the most insanely meta post I've ever seen.

It's the most insanely woke post you've ever seen

It's only a matter of hours before Trump's campaign does some asinine poo poo to get us back on track tho, don't worry name chat whiners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sephiroth.

• Locked thread