Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sperglord Actual posted:

Got the totally useless commemorative flag.

Turns out you can't have it and the actually useful Veterans Day commemorative flag mounted at the same time. :downsgun:

Same deal with the Jolly Roger flag from ranked. Looks nice but no bonus. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

El Disco posted:

Same deal with the Jolly Roger flag from ranked. Looks nice but no bonus. :sigh:

Jolly Roger is free (not counting mental stress of playing Ranked). Shiny Horse commemorative flag cost $90. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I like my simple Alpha flag that gives me extra credits and xp that I had to do nothing for other than apply for it. :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I bought Shotgunhorst Deluxe for flag only to rage at it having zero bonus :smith:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Aesis posted:

I bought Shotgunhorst Deluxe for flag only to rage at it having zero bonus :smith:

It's you. You're the whale.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That feeling of when you get completely stuck on an island due to BS hit box detection, and still manage to grab top spot on the team.

Somehow rammed the edge of an island in my Tirpitz on Okinawa, and despite hitting it while moving in a straight line (no turning whatsoever), the game refused to allow me to back up. Eventually got killed by the enemy Hiryuu that recognized an easy target. Still finished first by nearly 200 points.

Seriously though, where the hell do I put complaints about this poo poo? Just glancing through the bug reports section, and it doesn't seem to be the right area.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
So I know it was a few pages ago, but regarding those British cruisers: is anyone else having pre-emptive nightmares of the HE spam these boats are going to put out? I've been reading that the T10 could quite possibly have anywhere from 150-200 rpm of 6" fire. For God's sake, that like strapping two 6" mogamis together.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Lord Koth posted:

That feeling of when you get completely stuck on an island due to BS hit box detection, and still manage to grab top spot on the team.

Somehow rammed the edge of an island in my Tirpitz on Okinawa, and despite hitting it while moving in a straight line (no turning whatsoever), the game refused to allow me to back up. Eventually got killed by the enemy Hiryuu that recognized an easy target. Still finished first by nearly 200 points.

Seriously though, where the hell do I put complaints about this poo poo? Just glancing through the bug reports section, and it doesn't seem to be the right area.
Shallow water, my Goon.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

Aesis posted:

Shallow water, my Goon.

New game feature: Press Z to summon tugboats from a nearby port to pull the targeted ship off of shore (including teammates).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ToiletDuckie posted:

New game feature: Press Z to summon tugboats from a nearby port to pull the targeted ship off of shore (including teammates).

Native islanders with sticks. The shittiest feeling is when you manage to actually wedge yourself into poorly-designed little 'nooks' against some islands, and it's like trying to get out of a parallel-parked spot where the person in front and behind you prickishly came in too close.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Native islanders with sticks. The shittiest feeling is when you manage to actually wedge yourself into poorly-designed little 'nooks' against some islands, and it's like trying to get out of a parallel-parked spot where the person in front and behind you prickishly came in too close.

Well, the key to tugboats is that you have a premium consumable version that acts like a tractor beam so you can pull people back where they need to be for 10 doubloons a pop.

I'll take a 1 doubloon per use royalty, Wargaming.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I lost track of Warships. Did they do anything special for Wargaming's 18th birthday?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just found out I have the alpha flag :getin:

Asproigerosis fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 20, 2016

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So the Kaiser's turret layout is... weird as hell and takes quite a bit to get used to.

Still a good ship, though. And holy hell are battleship brawls fun. Just had one vs another Kaiser and a Nassau and nobody could citadel each other, so it turned into a crazy drawn-out slugfest.

Here's the replay.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Haven't played in the last ~5 months. Any exciting changes?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Haven't played in the last ~5 months. Any exciting changes?

high tier carriers (8+) have an aa consumable to help deter start of game midway strikes.
German BB just landed several days ago so matchmaker is having a tough time (0 t10s in the queue so any t10s just sit for awhile then get to take a dump on a lot of tier 8s and 9s).

Also, taking my gneisenau out for a jaunt and something interesting happened organically. I got to be the middle with an aoba on my left and I think an atlanta on my right. Meanwhile, two destroyers formed up in front to screen. So with that formation done, we went right to their cap circle and killed everything as we got in and then killed anything else that tried to challenge our dominance of their base.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/14451

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I made it to the Colorado. Aside from finally having 16", what can I expect? I've read that it still follows the heavy armor but tight turn style of the New Mexico, but don't know much else aside from there being a lot of contradictory pre/post-buff opinions.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Colorado is a very solid ship in my opinion. You have big guns which hurt when they hit home and they are reasonably accurate, you can also turn on a dime. Just play it smart and watch where you want to commit yourself, because once you do there is no turning back, since you're slow. Be careful not to get singled out and shoot people who present their broadsides, use HE if a Bismarck/Torpitz only present it's front.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

AfroSquirrel posted:

I made it to the Colorado. Aside from finally having 16", what can I expect? I've read that it still follows the heavy armor but tight turn style of the New Mexico, but don't know much else aside from there being a lot of contradictory pre/post-buff opinions.

If you buy the range boosting mod you can hit out to 19.2km, and out to 21 with the spotting plane up, which - despite battleship accuracy being what it is - mostly negates the range advantage of the japanese battleships, and a couple of cruisers that can just out shoot you without it.

It's still better as a brawler, but having said that, maybe it won't be so much anymore with the Gneisenau around? Not seen enough yet to say for sure. Might want to be brawling against Japanese ships with their inferior armour, but keeping the German ships at arms length, as they're better again at brawling than the Americans.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah the Colorado is pretty solid since they buffed the accuracy a while back. Get the first hull upgrade asap.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

NTRabbit posted:

It's still better as a brawler, but having said that, maybe it won't be so much anymore with the Gneisenau around? Not seen enough yet to say for sure. Might want to be brawling against Japanese ships with their inferior armour, but keeping the German ships at arms length, as they're better again at brawling than the Americans.

Probably dunk shells on Germans at long range whenever given the opportunity.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Having a Nikolai is kinda pointless when my teams melt so fast, that I always end up in 1 vs 5 situations.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Is it like this at every tier?

It's kind of ridiculous when, every time I queue up, there's literally 10x more battleships than any other kind of ship... but I haven't played above tier 4.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you are shooting HE, where do you aim? I'm thinking superstructure first until you light it up, then aft to light that on fire and hopefully take out the rudder or engine?

Does anyone actually use AP on the Bogatyr? It seems less consistent than the HE, and it doesn't cause a ton of fires, but I guess it has a chance to citadel? Also, do I want Advanced Fire Training or Demolitions Expert first?

I asked this a while ago but never got an answer. Should I have the track locked target option on or off? It seems like on makes it easier to walk shots exactly where you want them, but it will also decide to change your target for no discernible reason.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

M.C. McMic posted:

Is it like this at every tier?

It's kind of ridiculous when, every time I queue up, there's literally 10x more battleships than any other kind of ship... but I haven't played above tier 4.
It's because German Battleships literally just came out less than a week ago so everyone is grinding them right now.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I asked this a while ago but never got an answer. Should I have the track locked target option on or off? It seems like on makes it easier to walk shots exactly where you want them, but it will also decide to change your target for no discernible reason.
Only turn it off if you really want to have to constantly adjust your aim to account for the enemy ship's movement. If the auto target changes locks on you you can just look at whatever you actually want to shoot and hit X.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

AP doesnt cause fires though?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Those low tier german are so undergunned that I wonder if it isn't better to fire full HE at other similar battleships.
AP doesn't seem to do much to their ridiculous belt armor.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
If I end up one on one with another DD, should I fire AP or HE? Is it just always better to fire HE at DDs?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

M.C. McMic posted:

If I end up one on one with another DD, should I fire AP or HE? Is it just always better to fire HE at DDs?

HE all the time

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

If you are on the fence about buying the Scharnhorst, do it.

It's a fantastic credit maker, it can hold it's own even when in higher tier games, the secondaries are brilliant, it can take a hell of a beating, it's not as inaccurate as goons make out, it shot v.fast, turrets spin like a cruiser and I really, really love it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Nassau is such a better ship than the SC or Kawachi. I don't think I'm going to keep it, but it's not a bad boat at all.

Fun thing to note: you can't citadel a Nassau with a Nassau, but I discovered you can citadel Kawachis. This can lead to hilarious things like getting four citadels of one salvo and dusting some poor fool that is nearly full health.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
DDs should be firing high explosive UNLESS you can get close to one of the poorly armored cruisers. DDs don't have armored citadels so there's no point in firing AP at them, but DD guns can pen certain cruisers, which can be HILARIOUS because you're hard enough to hit anyway and all DD guns have fast cycle rates. So you can really do some damage up close and make people freak out.

Buttes McDuff
Dec 4, 2004

Scottish Buttesman
Just unlocked the Bismarck and re-spec'd my 16 pt. Roon captain for manual secondaries and so on...hilariously fun!

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Apparently there was some speculation in the brown sea on whether the t8+ german BBs have their turtleback armor. The answer is.. yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS0cbiqVpfw

Close range with a yamato right at the citadels of typical battleships and not even a citadel score on a bismark.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Burt posted:

It's a fantastic credit maker, it can hold it's own even when in higher tier games, the secondaries are brilliant, it can take a hell of a beating, it's not as inaccurate as goons make out, it shot v.fast, turrets spin like a cruiser and I really, really love it.

Yeah, at long range it can really dance out of the way of a surprising amount of fire.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

DDs should be firing high explosive UNLESS you can get close to one of the poorly armored cruisers. DDs don't have armored citadels so there's no point in firing AP at them, but DD guns can pen certain cruisers, which can be HILARIOUS because you're hard enough to hit anyway and all DD guns have fast cycle rates. So you can really do some damage up close and make people freak out.

This this this. Whenever I can get the jump on a cruiser at ~5km with an American DD, I switch to AP and start racking up the citadels. Each one doesn't do a lot of damage, but you get them so fast that they often evaporate before they can get torps off.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Krogort posted:

Those low tier german are so undergunned that I wonder if it isn't better to fire full HE at other similar battleships.
AP doesn't seem to do much to their ridiculous belt armor.

I had this same thought but HE is even more anaemic than the AP; I find that the German battleship AP won't get citadels against other battleships (or even some cruisers) but it does at least give more reliably consistent damage than HE does.

Regarding firing HE at destroyers, though, I've occasionally seen some people switch to AP when firing at destroyers going head on/away and it does seem to do more damage than AP normally would against them. Am I imagining things or is there some increased damage for overpens that go through the bow/stern and further into the ship?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Holy poo poo are carrier mechanics the platonic ideal of lovely. It's so much fun to pair off your fighters in an even match and lose half of yours right at the start so you trade a full squadron for a single fighter. It's also great fun to do a head on fighter sweep and have all your fighters die and barely scratch theirs.

Latin Pheonix posted:

I had this same thought but HE is even more anaemic than the AP; I find that the German battleship AP won't get citadels against other battleships (or even some cruisers) but it does at least give more reliably consistent damage than HE does.

Regarding firing HE at destroyers, though, I've occasionally seen some people switch to AP when firing at destroyers going head on/away and it does seem to do more damage than AP normally would against them. Am I imagining things or is there some increased damage for overpens that go through the bow/stern and further into the ship?

Overpens are when the shell goes in one end and out the other too fast. If you punch one straight through the destroyer, there should be enough room for it to give the bigger numbers because it can't get out the other side.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Latin Pheonix posted:

If a large AP round goes through the length of a DD, it'll be a regular penetration instead of an overpen and do more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Burt posted:

The Scharn is definitely very inaccurate, but when I miss it's like a little voice in my head whispering "that's because you aren't close enough".

Knife fight everything, including destroyers.