Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I named my kid Henry after Indiana Jones. Stealthiest nerd reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Riven posted:

I named my kid Henry after Indiana Jones. Stealthiest nerd reference.

Did you name the dog Indiana?

Hardbody
Nov 11, 2014
I know a teenager named Anally. Pronounced Ana-Lee. Her mom was trying to send a message I think.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Better a few pages on names than 50 something pages on Raw Milk.

Also, Frank Zappa had the best taste in names.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

In other news, Peter Thiel is still using Hulk Hogan to silence his critics and deny them of legal representation.

quote:

Daulerio is due back in court on Oct. 31, when he will face possible sanctions from the court for allegedly misrepresenting the value of his limited shares in Gawker Media. Before the company filed for bankruptcy in June, Daulerio and Denton pledged all of their shares as collateral while Gawker’s lawyers appeal the verdict in the case. Daulerio doesn’t have his own attorney, and Gawker’s request to cover the cost of his continued legal defense is currently pending with a federal judge in New York (Hogan’s lawyers objected to the request, arguing that it would constitute a conflict of interest).

Gregg Leslie, the legal defense director for the Reporter’s Committee for Freedom of the Press, said the case is exceptional. Leslie’s organization represents news outlets around the country, and is unaware of any case where an individual journalist has had to pay the lion’s share of a jury verdict. ”It’s hard to say whether it’s a particularly vindictive streak on [Hogan's] part, or is the just the normal way they do business, where you win a verdict and go after anything you can,” Leslie said. “It certainly starts to look like an act of harassment if you aren’t ever going to recover anything meaningful from the person and you are dragging them through it.”

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

In other news, Peter Thiel is still using Hulk Hogan to silence his critics and deny them of legal representation.

Yes that does seem exceptional for someone to pledge stock shares as collateral against a jury verdict and then have the victorious lawyer go after those shares to pay the jury verdict.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
I met a magic player once who was super excited as he was about to be a father and he'd convinced his wife to name their son Jace after his favorite plainswalker .... without revealing to her that it was a magic card name.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Gyges posted:

My only contribution to names chat is that I once knew a woman who named her son Achilles and know someone who gave their son the middle name Kal-El.

I've seen a child named Ahkillyz.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I listened to a man talk about how he was going to name his unborn child "Matanza" if it was a boy.

Then it was a girl and he named her "Paisley" and was sad to discover that Brad Paisley exists.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Named my kid Doctor so that if he doesn't become one he'll have lingering doubts about his profession all his life and know that I am disappointed in him.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I'm afraid Hollismason having a kid is an impossibility.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rassle posted:

Better a few pages on names than 50 something pages on Raw Milk.

Also, Frank Zappa had the best taste in names.

Zappa's names were an extension of the tyranny he held over his kids, whom he browbeat into dropping out of high school because schools are so worthless.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm gonna make my next son Reverse Hitler

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

I took a kid's ID at work the other day, and motherfucker's first name was Maverick. Way back at a previous job, I met a baby named Justice. My own name is about as common an english name can possibly be, so I'm always tickled to see really cool unique names like those.

I know a Justice. His sisters are Dreamy and Lovely.

But The biggest #whitepeople I know is my sister was name Janet because Milton Friedman named his daughter Janet.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 20, 2016

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Jarmak posted:

Yes that does seem exceptional for someone to pledge stock shares as collateral against a jury verdict and then have the victorious lawyer go after those shares to pay the jury verdict.

Freezing the financial accounts of a former journalist and challenging Gawker's attempts to cover his legal fees seems morally dubious and vindictive.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Tell me good sir, how do you store shares in a checking account?

QuoProQuid posted:

Freezing the financial accounts of a former journalist and challenging Gawker's attempts to cover his legal fees seems morally dubious and vindictive.

A well connected billionaire using the tools of the state to shut down press he doesn't like and harass people is close enough where it is time to call a spade a spade.

I guess I'll be the first to say it: Peter Thiel is acting like an outright fascist with his lawsuit and post-suit actions.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Learned Hand, Gouverneur Morris, Judge Reinhold...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what do "Black people have to lose" in reference to Trump's message last night?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Grouchio posted:

So what do "Black people have to lose" in reference to Trump's message last night?

Civil liberties

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

Grouchio posted:

Everything.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

Well, Republicans are pushing voter ID laws designed to strip black people of their right to vote, so there's that.

Also, Trump is strongly pushing a "Law and Order" agenda that would give police free reign to continue targeting black people, so there's that, too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
By voting 95% for Obama and possibly up to 99% for Hillary, black people have identified themselves as the smartest part of the electorate

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Grouchio posted:

Their lives.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Xae posted:

A well connected billionaire using the tools of the state to shut down press he doesn't like and harass people is close enough where it is time to call a spade a spade.

I guess I'll be the first to say it: Peter Thiel is acting like an outright fascist with his lawsuit and post-suit actions.

Yeah, but gawker bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It was a rhetorical question. One I knew the answers to.

But tell me, what has been the public response to that quote so far?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Grouchio posted:

It was a rhetorical question. One I knew the answers to.

But tell me, what has been the public response to that quote so far?

Uh, some idiot went on CNN and said that maybe if trump gave a speech in front of a burning car it would connect to black voters more.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Xae posted:

Thiel couldn't have done poo poo if Gawker hadn't chopped down trees, built the gallows with the lumber, and tied their own noose.

Blatantly ignoring the orders of judges is no way to go through life, son.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm sure you know this already, but it bears repeating: Thiel structured the Hogan lawsuit specifically in such a way that Gawker's legal insurance would not need to cover the expenses, even though that meant less money for Hogan.

quote:

Mr. Denton is referring to a decision by Mr. Hogan’s legal team to abruptly drop one of the claims — for “negligent infliction of emotional distress” — from its case. That claim had a particularly special meaning: It was the one claim that required Gawker’s insurance company to pay for its defense as well as potential payouts in the case of a settlement. (That provision of Gawker’s insurance policy became public after the insurance company, Nautilus, sued Gawker to try to limit payment for defense.)

Several legal experts said that it was particularly unusual for a plaintiff using a lawyer being paid on a contingency basis not only to turn down settlement offers (several sizable settlements were proffered by Gawker) but also to pursue a strategy that prevented an insurance company from being able to contribute to a settlement.

“It’s a very unusual thing to do, because the insurance company would have deeper pockets than Gawker,” said Larry Geneen, a risk management consultant who has long dealt with lawsuits involving insurance companies. “I’ve never had a situation where the plaintiff intentionally took out the claim involving the insurance company.”

edit: source

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

No it seems the absolutely bog standard obvious thing to do when someone is personally liable to you for far more than they can pay and isn't filing for bankruptcy protection.

Daulerio is the one who is acting shady here.

Xae posted:

You're an idiot, the suit had merit and making the people who owe you money actually pay you money is not "fascist"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's gonna be really funny when the Gawker verdict gets overturned on appeal

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jarmak posted:

No it seems the absolutely bog standard obvious thing to do when someone is personally liable to you for far more than they can pay and isn't filing for bankruptcy protection.

You're an idiot, the suit had merit and making the people who owe you money actually pay you money is not "fascist"

Still waiting on you to explain how the guy had shares of a company in his checking account. Locking more accounts than needed to collect payment is standard legal harassment.

The suit is probably going to get thrown out due to a number of gently caress ups by the judge. Lets not even talk about Hogan's history of perjury or anything. Or how Thiel's lawyers structured poo poo to gently caress Hogan and Gawker.

But hey, as long as long as Fascists are only making GBS threads on people you don't like that is A-ok, right buddy?

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Phone posted:

Uh, some idiot went on CNN and said that maybe if trump gave a speech in front of a burning car it would connect to black voters more.

Sure, but let's be honest. That idiot doesn't care about connecting to black voters, he cares about connecting to white voters.

Black people haven't swung Republican since the Depression. Most of the "black outreach" the Republicans have historically done wasn't an attempt to attract African-American voters back to the party. It was outreach to moderate white voters, a way to signal that "Republicans aren't really the party of racism."

For decades, the media's been treating those fake outreach efforts as sincere and genuine. Trump obviously doesn't care about pretending not to be racist. So now the media is stuck; they cover Trump's campaign as if the campaign were pretending not to be racist, but the campaign doesn't even bother to pretend.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

LeJackal posted:

Thiel couldn't have done poo poo if Gawker hadn't chopped down trees, built the gallows with the lumber, and tied their own noose.

Blatantly ignoring the orders of judges is no way to go through life, son.

it's possible to dislike tabloid journalism and still find this case problematic and a danger to the free press

Jarmak posted:

how do you figure? the quote from the reporter’s committee for freedom of the press suggests that hogan's actions are unusual. i suppose that i wouldn't have pledged by shares as collateral, but the continued harassment of daulerio seems more like thiel getting revenge against a reporter he dislikes than him helping hogan get his winnings. i dont understand why freezing his checking account is necessary.

on top of all the other details in the case, it seems clear that compensation is a secondary concern here.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's gonna be really funny when the Gawker verdict gets overturned on appeal

even if it gets overturned, gawker still won't exist and various reporters will still be ruined.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tobermory posted:

Sure, but let's be honest. That idiot doesn't care about connecting to black voters, he cares about connecting to white voters.

Black people haven't swung Republican since the Depression. Most of the "black outreach" the Republicans have historically done wasn't an attempt to attract African-American voters back to the party. It was outreach to moderate white voters, a way to signal that "Republicans aren't really the party of racism."

For decades, the media's been treating those fake outreach efforts as sincere and genuine. Trump obviously doesn't care about pretending not to be racist. So now the media is stuck; they cover Trump's campaign as if the campaign were pretending not to be racist, but the campaign doesn't even bother to pretend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91o0LZ8H0QM

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Also, this is from last week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-Y7dcgJ1c

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

QuoProQuid posted:

even if it gets overturned, gawker still won't exist and various reporters will still be ruined.
Which is the entire point.

No one will ever investigate Peter Thiel again. Despite his sometimes shady dealings no one will risk publishing anything bad about him.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Named my kid Doctor so that if he doesn't become one he'll have lingering doubts about his profession all his life and know that I am disappointed in him.

I went to high school with a kid named Senator.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Space Poodle posted:

I went to high school with a kid named Senator.

I'd elect Senator Senator.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Xae posted:

Still waiting on you to explain how the guy had shares of a company in his checking account. Locking more accounts than needed to collect payment is standard legal harassment.

The suit is probably going to get thrown out due to a number of gently caress ups by the judge. Lets not even talk about Hogan's history of perjury or anything. Or how Thiel's lawyers structured poo poo to gently caress Hogan and Gawker.

But hey, as long as long as Fascists are only making GBS threads on people you don't like that is A-ok, right buddy?

When you lie to the judge about how many shares you own they can go after your personal assets to make up the difference, weird.

QuoProQuid posted:

how do you figure? the quote from the reporter’s committee for freedom of the press suggests that hogan's actions are unusual. i suppose that i wouldn't have pledged by shares as collateral, but the continued harassment of daulerio seems more like thiel getting revenge against a reporter he dislikes than him helping hogan get his winnings. i dont understand why freezing his checking account is necessary.

Collecting money owed is not "harassment"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

McAlister posted:

I met a magic player once who was super excited as he was about to be a father and he'd convinced his wife to name their son Jace after his favorite plainswalker .... without revealing to her that it was a magic card name.

Other than Elspeth most of the MtG main cast names are normalish at least. Jace being his favorite PW is the biggest sin.

• Locked thread