Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
USPOL August: 95% African American approved. +-94% unskewed poll

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
honest question since i'm not a lawyer: is it normal to collect money if the case is still in appeal?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

weekly font posted:

Other than Elspeth most of the MtG main cast names are normalish at least. Jace being his favorite PW is the biggest sin.

I have a friend with a sister in her 20s named Elspeth, actually :v: It's just the Scottish variant of Elizabeth.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jarmak posted:

When you lie to the judge about how many shares you own they can go after your personal assets to make up the difference, weird.

Collecting money owed is not "harassment"

He didn't lie about the number of shares he owned.

quote:

In addition to being on the hook for the final judgment in the case, Daulerio could also face sanctions from the court after Hogan’s attorneys accused him last week of “not being truthful” when he told the jury earlier this year that he had no material assets. The issue, Hogan’s lawyers argue, is that Daulerio didn’t disclose the extent of his indemnification rights from Gawker, a standard part of employment agreements between journalism organizations and their employees. (Daulerio's contract was produced during discovery in the case, but remains under seal.)

He didn't list boiler plate legalese in his employment contract as an "Asset".

If you bothered to read your own links you would have read this.

Who is the idiot now? You're in this thread spreading misinformation and celebrating a massive loss for Freedom of the Press because you didn't like what the organization published.

You're a loving idiot.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Xae posted:

Which is the entire point.

No one will ever investigate Peter Thiel again. Despite his sometimes shady dealings no one will risk publishing anything bad about him.

My legal knowledge is lacking, but I've heard comments to the effect that Gawker did a poor job defending itself in court and didn't take the case very seriously until it was too late. Could a more "serious" media outlet with a competent legal team have done better?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

weekly font posted:

Other than Elspeth most of the MtG main cast names are normalish at least. Jace being his favorite PW is the biggest sin.

If the MtG twitter account is any indication the most common planeswalker kid name is Liliana

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Collecting money owed is not "harassment"

He doesn't have any more. The shares are worthless now.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

My legal knowledge is lacking, but I've heard comments to the effect that Gawker did a poor job defending itself in court and didn't take the case very seriously until it was too late. Could a more "serious" media outlet with a competent legal team have done better?

as far as i understand gawker isn't dead because of awarded damages, those are still in appeal, gawker is dead because the people running the site have to pay the lawyers themselves due to the way the hogan lawsuit was structured. if they had won, thiel presumably would have appealed and they'd have to pay the same lawyer fees.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

speng31b posted:

I'd elect Senator Senator.

Major Major just can't get a promotion :(

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
The goal was to kill dissenting media, whether Gawker did a better job of defending itself is pretty moot considering Thiel has deeper pockets than Gawker.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

botany posted:

honest question since i'm not a lawyer: is it normal to collect money if the case is still in appeal?

Florida law requires that the losing party pay all damages pending appeal.

Gawker was expected to lose in Florida's court system. Hogan and Thiel's legal team filed the case there so that Gawker would be ruined, even if they eventually won in federal court.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 20, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Pakled posted:

With how this case was structured no.

A more "serious" (more accurately a bigger more connected news paper/site) outlet probably would have more cash on hand to be able to fight this. As most News orgs and companies are backed by larger moneyed interests. This case wouldn't have been fought this way with them. Thiel probably wouldn't have bothered to go after them because then it's essentially a Billionaire on Billionaire lawsuit. And Hogan would have taken whatever insurance pay out as Thiel wouldn't have gotten in to begin with.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As far as Trump's "outreach" getting traction goes. This was the headline at the top of my Google News feed when I just checked: It's hard to imagine a much worse pitch Donald Trump could have made for the black vote. So I don't think it's going over very well for him.

As far as namechat goes, even though we named both of our kids something not entirely normal, the most egregiously white thing we did was to add a bunch of superfluous letters to my son's middle name, Reilley. Every time it comes up I feel the need to apologize to him, but he's 18 now so he can go and get it changed if it bugs him that much.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He really wants LA and NYC big shots to respect and adore him. Wasting time and resources on two of the bluest states in the union is a disastrous mistake for him strategically but if this is all about massaging his ego NY and CA are must-win states.

The best part is that people who hated him will do so more now and some who were ok with being seen around Trump won't want to be near a bullhorn racist loser anymore. With any luck Trump will go from a "high class" brand to a "buy my Trump-branded gold coins" garbage name that only appeals to white trash neo nazis.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

QuoProQuid posted:

Florida law requires that the losing party pay all damages pending appeal.

Gawker was expected to lose in Florida's court system. Hogan and Thiel's legal team filed the case there so that Gawker would be ruined, even if they eventually won in federal court.

Oh for fucks sake. Yeah, definitely working as intended. Thanks for the link btw.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
:siren: TRUMP ISN'T GOING AFTER THE BLACK VOTE:siren:

He's going after the white votes(and I guess the Uncle Ruckus' votes ) that he has lost due to all of the racist poo poo he's said.

The white people that are okay with Systemic Racism and the status Quo, but haven't quite gotten themselves sized up for the proper KKK hood and robe.

This is just a play for the republican base to show them, hey I'm not racist(than any other republican candidate who skirts around race), you can vote for me and still not feel bad or risk being called a racist)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It didn't help that Gawker came off as mustache twirling evil in the trial either. Know your audience.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

as a general rule, please never try to be funny or sarcastic if you are in court

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

as a general rule, please never try to be funny or sarcastic if you are in court

Unless you are a fat white lawyer from the 1930s with a southern drawl.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

gently caress all of you namechat motherfuckers

No why the gently caress would you do this, on one gives a gently caress about any of this name crap

"Hmm all of these people are smearing poo poo all over themselves. I don't really like it, but if these people are doing it then I guess I'll join in and try to become King Shitsmear of Dipshit Island!"

Because I don't have a giant stick up my rear end about non-political derails in a forum that relies heavily on current news to fuel its discussion. Some days just don't have as much to talk about and people go off for a bit on other topics.

Isn't Mother Jones facing the same thing as Gawker did? A millionaire with a grudge is funding, or offering to fund, the lawsuit of that private prison MJ did that expose on. Rich people throwing their weight around via the legal system isn't new, but the way Theil manipulated thing to do the most damage is kind of scary.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

highme posted:

As far as Trump's "outreach" getting traction goes. This was the headline at the top of my Google News feed when I just checked: It's hard to imagine a much worse pitch Donald Trump could have made for the black vote. So I don't think it's going over very well for him.

Its not that hard. Brietbart has spent the past 5 years emphasizing that this is how White Supremacists view blacks. And he chose the king of Brietbart to guide him

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

there wolf posted:

Isn't Mother Jones facing the same thing as Gawker did? A millionaire with a grudge is funding, or offering to fund, the lawsuit of that private prison MJ did that expose on. Rich people throwing their weight around via the legal system isn't new, but the way Theil manipulated thing to do the most damage is kind of scary.

Is 'Theil manipulating things' the right way to characterize it though? I'd be willing to bet Hogan was 100% behind anything that would increase the damage Gawker suffered, even if it meant he got less money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

there wolf posted:

Because I don't have a giant stick up my rear end about non-political derails in a forum that relies heavily on current news to fuel its discussion. Some days just don't have as much to talk about and people go off for a bit on other topics.

Mother Jones was able to fight it off IIRC.

Just the number they got hit with in the Hogan suit meant they couldn't afford to just eat the escrowed amount and fight it in appeals(where they would almost assuredly win).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

Is 'Theil manipulating things' the right way to characterize it though? I'd be willing to bet Hogan was 100% behind anything that would increase the damage Gawker suffered, even if it meant he got less money.

I don't even give a poo poo about If Hogan wanted this outcome. The fact that this type of outcome is possible is bullshit.

I'm fine with Hogan getting whatever damages the judge deems worthy of him receiving. Gawker did earn that poo poo, and because of that gently caress up they would have had to use their insurance which means their rates probably go up. All of that is cool with me.

Just like if Thiel wanted to sue them for damages for outing him. I'm cool with whatever judgement he recieves.

But man, am I not cool with it being possible to structure case like they did.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dexo posted:

But man, am I not cool with it being possible to structure case like they did.

Yeah I agree, but that's a problem with the system, rather than some specific ethical failing of Theil's (he has more than enough already).

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I find it funny how people keep trying to come up with some grand Machiavellian scheme to explain Donald Trump. He is exactly what he presents himself as. Trumps's entire philosophy, both in life and in business is to always double down. He started off with an inheritance and used it to transform himself into a brand. He gets loans from any sucker that buys into his image as a billionaire business mogul and uses it to attempt all kind of get rich quick schemes. Real estate, planes, wine, steaks, books, schools. It doesn't matter if these ventures are successful, as long as he can keep himself in the public eye and keep convincing people he's rich. That's why he'll never release his tax returns, it would destroy his business model of borrowing money to pay off his existing debts. The downside to this is that he can't just coast, not for long. He has to keep doubling down and finding new ways to stay relevant and appear wealthy. Of course a lot of people started to see through his bullshit pretty quickly. The big lenders want nothing to do with him. So he needed to change his strategy, but he didn't have any specific plan for how to do that.

I don't think he ever expected this election run to be anything more than a short-lived publicity tour to drum up book sales. Then he started travelling the country, meeting millions of adoring fans who see him as their last hope. They are scared of the shifting demographics and the progressive lean of millennials. Tolerance and acceptance are not just encouraged but expected and they see this as a threat. When they say they want to Make America Great Again they mean they want to return to the days when they could openly be racist, sexist, and homophobic. They want a world where they’re not attacked by ‘the pussy generation’ as Clint Eastwood puts it, for being bullies.

Most of Trump's core group of supporters think Obama is an illegitimate President, and he's already telling them Hillary will rig the election. So he'll keep doubling down whether he wins or loses in November, and his supporters will keep seeing him as their true leader. If Hillary wins and starts appointing liberal justices to the Supreme Court, if Democrats start making gains in the house and senate, and start pushing for full equality for women, POCs, Muslims, LGBTQ people, etc., it will just get worse. It will fit their narrative that the US government no longer represents 'real Americans'.

Everything Trump says is directed at these people. Sure he may occasionally pay lip-service to the GOP platform but in reality he’s not concerned with the details of policy, and neither are they. Many of them don’t even believe he could actually build the Wall or band all Muslim travel. All that matters to them is that he keeps giving them a voice on the national/international stage. He gives them legitimacy and moves the Overton window towards them. He is the most successful candidate in decades that doesn't just pander to racists and bullies and bigots; He actually is, blatantly and unashamedly, all of those things. He's playing history's greatest game of chicken and his supporters just keep egging him on to push the limits of decency just a bit further. And his obsession with fame/infamy and the power he holds just through his words (he has great words!) means he's loving it.

So I think the 2016 election is the culmination of Trump being a genuinely bad person and him realizing that he can profit off the hatred and anger felt by many white Americans. None of this was planned out, it just sort of fell into place. Racists were looking for a leader and he was looking for a new source of profit, with the added benefit of a power trip. If he ends up teaming up with Breitbart to create an alt-right media empire, it would be the perfect way for him to keep this going post-election.

bowser fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 20, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Xae posted:

He didn't lie about the number of shares he owned.

He didn't list boiler plate legalese in his employment contract as an "Asset".

If you bothered to read your own links you would have read this.

Who is the idiot now? You're in this thread spreading misinformation and celebrating a massive loss for Freedom of the Press because you didn't like what the organization published.

You're a loving idiot.

Not only did I never post any of "my own links" that story you're quoting from has never, as far as I can tell, actually been linked in this thread. I had to google search your quote in order to find it. So yeah you got me, I never bothered to read a story no one had posted in this thread, I didn't even find that when I went looking for more info because the story that was linked by someone else was horribly written and said this:

quote:

Daulerio is due back in court on Oct. 31, when he will face possible sanctions from the court for allegedly misrepresenting the value of his limited shares in Gawker Media

Also lol if you think indemnifications is some sort of irrelevant boilerplate legalese. According to the article the contract is under seal so know one outside the trial knows but it could potentially be a major loving asset.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Ron Jeremy posted:

I know a Justice. His sisters are Dreamy and Lovely.

But The biggest #whitepeople I know is my sister was name Janet because Milton Friedman named his daughter Janet.

Kill you're parents.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yeah who knows, maybe that contract included a free private jet? Who knows! Better just passively accept what one side in a legal case says because we like them!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Maybe we should just lock the thread in between Trump tweets, it's the only way to save us from ourselves

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I don't know what people care about the white man's Dwon and Dothawon when there's still like 10 Jasons and Katherines and Rachels and Mikes wherever I go. Laugh at it all you want, but white people still mostly have boring average names by and large.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

botany posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Yeah, definitely working as intended. Thanks for the link btw.

Hogan does live in Florida, so it's hardly a stretch to file there, no?

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It's gonna be really funny when the Gawker verdict gets overturned on appeal

Indeed; the verdict is horrible and there's almost zero chance SCOTUS doesn't overturn it when all is said and done (assuming it even gets that far).

QuoProQuid posted:

even if it gets overturned, gawker still won't exist and various reporters will still be ruined.

Why, it's almost like that was the point all along!

Thiel is using the courts to exact revenge. He even poisoned the ability for Gawker to find an acquirer by letting it be known he was willing to set piles of money on fire to harass anyone who dared help them.

Thiel is what happens when a SOVCIT is competent and has unlimited money.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Honestly telling black people that democrats only really give lip service to racial issues and will never truly push for real change is probably the smartest argument trump can make because it is true to an extent. Democrats could/should be better then they have been. The problem is that the person making the argument is a gravelly voice coming from under the bed at midnight on Halloween.

Like it seemed like he was trying less to say "what have you got to lose?" and more "what difference could it make because it won't change regardless." He really is running a reverse negative version of the Obama campaign.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dexo posted:

:siren: TRUMP ISN'T GOING AFTER THE BLACK VOTE:siren:

He's going after the white votes(and I guess the Uncle Ruckus' votes ) that he has lost due to all of the racist poo poo he's said.

The white people that are okay with Systemic Racism and the status Quo, but haven't quite gotten themselves sized up for the proper KKK hood and robe.

This is just a play for the republican base to show them, hey I'm not racist(than any other republican candidate who skirts around race), you can vote for me and still not feel bad or risk being called a racist)

I disagree slightly. Trump himself absolutely thinks that he can get the black vote. He's so hosed in the head he thought he could flip California and New York. He's absolutely certain that everyone loves him, bigly.

Trump's campaign on the other hand knows there's no way in loving hell that's happening, so they make sure to point Trump in the direction of a white crowd while he panders* to minorities, because the handlers understand that white people are prone to believe an old white guy saying he totally wants minority support, despite all his policies being beyond dogshit for minorities. The biased, lying, crooked, right wing media is using Trump's belief in the biased, lying, crooked, media to direct him.

Nobody but Trump can listen to a Trump speech that follows up detailed ways he wants to gently caress over minorities with the clarion call of "what have you got to lose?" and think that's actually going to win over any minorities.

Edit:

Crabtree posted:

I don't know what people care about the white man's Dwon and Dothawon when there's still like 10 Jasons and Katherines and Rachels and Mikes wherever I go. Laugh at it all you want, but white people still mostly have boring average names by and large.

I was in a class with a Jaysun in middle school, please spell the name's correctly, sir. #whiteburden

Gyges fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 20, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jarmak posted:

Not only did I never post any of "my own links" that story you're quoting from has never, as far as I can tell, actually been linked in this thread. I had to google search your quote in order to find it. So yeah you got me, I never bothered to read a story no one had posted in this thread, I didn't even find that when I went looking for more info because the story that was linked by someone else was horribly written and said this:

Also lol if you think indemnifications is some sort of irrelevant boilerplate legalese. According to the article the contract is under seal so know one outside the trial knows but it could potentially be a major loving asset.

You responded to this:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdra...s/#7422004b484c

Which links to the article to explain the issue being litigated: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattdrange/2016/08/11/835/#53d679101bc6

Maybe next time instead of trying to join in some stupid Pseudo-Reddit Anti-Gawker circle jerk you should bother to get informed. Particularly before you start calling the people who are informed idiots.

You're still celebrating the largest defeat for Freedom of the Press in a half century. Probably longer.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Honestly telling black people that democrats only really give lip service to racial issues and will never truly push for real change is probably the smartest argument trump can make because it is true to an extent. Democrats could/should be better then they have been. The problem is that the person making the argument is a gravelly voice coming from under the bed at midnight on Halloween.

Like it seemed like he was trying less to say "what have you got to lose?" and more "what difference could it make because it won't change regardless." He really is running a reverse negative version of the Obama campaign.

Seriously the scary loving thing is, If that was coming out of the mouth of like Rubio, or Kasich someone who doesn't have the long history and baggage of poo poo like being a racist slumlord, and discriminating against blacks in housing. That it might actually have a serious effect.

Like there are a number of things the Trump campaign is showing is effective that would be terrifying if it was anyone other than Trump.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Only that's complete bullshit? Tell any black person who lived in the 60's that the Democrats haven't accomplished anything for the black community. Things aren't great today but they're demonstrably better, and the reason why things aren't great is because half of the country consists of angry white people obsessed with racial supremacy. There's a reason why blacks vote D overwhelmingly with high turnout, and it's not because they're being "tricked".

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

botany posted:

you can get court orders reducing how much you have to put up to appeal, especially if it's an amount that is basically unpayable. Since you have an automatic right of appeal at the intermediary level, courts don't usually block people out based on damages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Gyges posted:

I was in a class with a Jaysun in middle school, please spell the name's correctly, sir. #whiteburden

Did the parents gently caress up the birth certificate? Because I've seen people have legal issues over their father being a little too drunk when he tried to spell Robert and even if everyone else was fine and dandy with it, The State can't find anyone but a Reburt Johnson.

Also I like we've reach the political state where politicians are courting Black Votes by saying "What do you have to lose". Like they of all people would forget loving slavery and what it took for it to partially end.

• Locked thread