Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

John Denver Hoxha posted:

yes, let me just park my honda inside my tent to light my way out to take a piss and charge my phone

Park your tent inside your Honda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

John Denver Hoxha posted:

That is actually sort of cool though since it's not like a window AC unit. It is like all the comfort technology luxury items I could think of for something like a casual camping trip with some friends or to party out in the boonies put into a single package to offset the size of the AC unit (obviously it isn't for serious hikes or anything like that)

Problem is the base unit doesn't even come with a battery, and the $180 battery has 800 charge cycles.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

gschmidl posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1253665084/zero-breeze-the-worlds-coolest-portable-air-condit?ref=category

"Portable, Smart, Multifunctional Air Conditioner that includes a bluetooth speaker, a night light, and a smartphone charging station."

Exactly what I'm looking for in an A/C.

e: quality:

Without using a coolant, what are chances this could actually go as low as 44f or 6C?
Also, how efficient can it be? One thing is how cold the air is when it comes out, another how much it can cool down a room.
Any science goons care to analyze this and explain if it's all bullshit?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

Without using a coolant, what are chances this could actually go as low as 44f or 6C?
Also, how efficient can it be? One thing is how cold the air is when it comes out, another how much it can cool down a room.

They didn't say what the ambient temperature was, so it could be 44f from 50f. It's certainly not going to bring a 50sqft room from (say) 95 to 44.

EDIT:
Also https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584209851/joinme-organize-your-rest-with-one-click?ref=category

quote:

What are we doing?

Through our mobile app Android & iOS you can meet new friends everyday, organize the event, organize the meeting by yourself, and invite people there or find such events and join them easily and quickly.

For example:

You want to play football, but there are only three of you. You open the application, create the event with the place of meeting and other parameters, people who also want to play join you and so you have a team of 10 persons and have fun.

EDIT^2:

quote:

Risks and challenges

1. When app have a many users, we have a problem with quickly and correct work mobile app.

We have 3 man in our team, who make a decision this problem, becouse they have a many expirience in this question and we know where web-servers, who can give quick work for our app.

2. Many apps have a problem - activity in app and app downloads.

We have in our team 2 people, who have a large expirience in online marketing, they knows how do a many downloads in first mounth and how do app intresting for everyone.

3. Many apps are very difficult.

We spent a very-very much work-hours for do the app simple and comfortable for everyone.
You can join to event with one click. Even grandma or kid can easily use this app. Simple and easili using - this is one of the main our tasks.

monster on a stick has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Aug 20, 2016

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

monster on a stick posted:

They didn't say what the ambient temperature was, so it could be 44f from 50f. It's certainly not going to bring a 50sqft room from (say) 95 to 44.
50sqft is also tiny. That's 7'x7', slightly larger than a king bed.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

50sqft is also tiny. That's 7'x7', slightly larger than a king bed.

Cubic feet are what matters here.:goonsay:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

Without a way of venting air to the outside it's going to heat the room up.

e: It *does* come with an exhaust hose. It's still insanely impractical, just on energy density alone. Air conditioners are insanely power-hungry.

goddamnedtwisto has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Aug 20, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kharmakazy posted:

Well it would probably be a lot more effective in a room that was 3.68' cubed so yeah, I guess they're off the hook on that one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Without a way of venting air to the outside it's going to heat the room up.

e: It *does* come with an exhaust hose. It's still insanely impractical, just on energy density alone. Air conditioners are insanely power-hungry.

About half the photos they show are it outside or like in a tent, often with some sort of plug snaking out the back. Plus it seems like it's more about blowing cold air directly at you rather than trying to maintain a certain air temperature.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The figures they give for efficiency and capacity are within reason, so it could work.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kharmakazy posted:

Rooms are generally a pretty consistent height, though, so it's a fixed multiplier, meaning that the square footage is sufficient shorthand for comparing room sizes.

bobo333
Jul 4, 2009

Progress peaked with frozen pizza.

YNWA
depends, some areas of the country, especially with older houses, have a mix of 8' and 10' or 12' ceilings

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Elysiume posted:

Rooms are generally a pretty consistent height, though, so it's a fixed multiplier, meaning that the square footage is sufficient shorthand for comparing room sizes.

Sir. Sir. We are talking about tents. Sir.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Kharmakazy posted:

Sir. Sir. We are talking about tents. Sir.

Absolutely, if this actually ships and is available retail in future I might consider one for camping purposes.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
OR just buy a floor model AC from the store and a portable generator.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

OR just buy a floor model AC from the store and a portable generator.

That's what it is. The first couple tiers don't even include the battery pack. Right now you could go out and buy an icy breeze (leading competitor #1) and an anker powerbank for roughly the same price.

e: and many camp sites ban generators because they are loud.

Germstore has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Aug 21, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

yoloer420 posted:

Absolutely, if this actually ships and is available retail in future I might consider one for camping purposes.

Would it be dangerous if the exhaust is not outside of the tent?
I'm curious as to whether that's an error that would make users feel hot or just die

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Non Serviam posted:

Would it be dangerous if the exhaust is not outside of the tent?
I'm curious as to whether that's an error that would make users feel hot or just die

Well if you don't have the exhaust hose going outside the tent, all that happens is the air in the tent gets warmer.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I compared the Zero Breeze (the kickstarter) to the icy breeze, but the icy breeze uses ice for cooling and just needs electricity for the fan which seems more sensible in my opinion. You probably need to buy ice anyway, and 30 pounds of ice provides the same cooling as a full charge of the zero breeze's massive battery pack.

e: I wonder if you could combine something like the icy breeze with a swamp cooler so you get cooling from two phase changes- brb, posting a kickstarter.

Germstore has a new favorite as of 17:20 on Aug 21, 2016

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

The MSJ posted:

Another Retsupurae discovery. None of the Engrish at the start can prepare you for the render reveal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbhatkcMglQ

"because of the huge battery inside. If the battery goes low it will alarm you an hour before full down by two powerful vibrator motors.

lol which anti-dildo laws are they trying to bypass with that?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/supermeat-real-meat-without-harming-animals-food-technology#/

cultured muscle tissue on a flex funding IGG campaign, with a claim of no less than ending world hunger

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The old adage applies: If your product is this revolutionary, you shouldn't have to crowdfund it, since everyone would be tripping over themselves to give you money.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also I'm pretty sure your ideological vegetarian/vegan would probably view biopsying an animal to extract tissue to culture as "harm."

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1193114899/revolutionary-game-controller-for-the-1-app-in-the?ref=category_popular

Are you afraid that you don't look dumb enough playing Pokemon Go as it is?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

this would only be vaguely stupid if pokemon go were a game you played in private, rather than on busy streets and in holocaust museums.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

Right now we have our own application that mimics the function that the ball would have in the game if it were integrated. Pokemon Go is built on the Unity3D game engine. We are building a Unity3D plugin that can easily port in this functionality. We will work with their team to bring this to their game. But at this moment, it isn’t integrated, and having a background application wouldn’t allow us to tie in the functionality to Pokemon Go.

I don't speak nerd, does this mean it doesn't even actually work?

Edit: Yeah, it doesn't work

quote:

In the event that NianticLabs turns down our partnership and we do not get a licensing agreement, all of our backers would have an option after viewing our newest games that we are currently developing. Kickstarter does not issue refunds after a project is funded. But if our project is funded and we are unable to go to market with Niantic, we can issue a refund manually. Your refund will reflect the total amount pledged minus all the original processing fees (8-10%).

Tears In A Vial has a new favorite as of 01:19 on Aug 22, 2016

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tears In A Vial posted:

thats exactly what they are saying

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Tears In A Vial posted:

I think that's the gist of it. Maybe you do speak nerd.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns the likeness of the Pokeball, and they HAVE cracked down on Kickstarters before.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Shouldn't any intelligent company would secure rights before launching a KS?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Shouldn't any intelligent company would secure rights before launching a KS?
Yes, but that's intelligent companies, not intelligent grifters.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Why bother securing rights when you can get 116% funded in six days.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

The old adage applies: If your product is this revolutionary, you shouldn't have to crowdfund it, since everyone would be tripping over themselves to give you money.

But, you see, the Big Farma will do everything in their power to prevent them from getting any funding from investors.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns the likeness of the Pokeball, and they HAVE cracked down on Kickstarters before.

Thought that The Pokemon Company owned all that IP now.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Subjunctive posted:

Thought that The Pokemon Company owned all that IP now.

who do you think owns the pokemon company dude

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Celluloid Sam posted:

who do you think owns thirty percent of the pokemon company dude

Although point still stands.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Germstore posted:

Although point still stands.

creatures and game freaks are also subsidiaries of Nintendo lol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Celluloid Sam posted:

creatures and game freaks are also subsidiaries of Nintendo lol

Creatures is partly owned by Nintendo, but game freak isn't owned by Nintendo whatsoever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The point still stands that it's copyrighted imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gutcruncher posted:

Creatures is partly owned by Nintendo, but game freak isn't owned by Nintendo whatsoever.

ah you're right apparently they have a game coming out on pc this year