Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jesse James
Oct 11, 2009

IchiGO?

This is amazing and I think a photoshop thread about Bleachs ending would be wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Covok posted:

Where is this quote from?

it's a translation from kubo's twitter in response to insane shippers

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
We need an Ichika Gaiden fan comic where she wonders if she's not just an elaborate illusion created by Aizen.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 20, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'll admit, there is one ship i do care about: isshin and ryuken. the hot dads should be making out 24/7.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I love how their quest to avenge their dead wives only led to them delivering an arrow.

Why did Isshin even bother showing up?

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
So what does this mean for the anime? Do you think it will return with the new material and maybe rewrite the ending/series similar to FMA? Or will it just never come back?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Akumos posted:

So what does this mean for the anime? Do you think it will return with the new material and maybe rewrite the ending/series similar to FMA? Or will it just never come back?

FMA is an entirely different situation. The old anime had to make up its own ending because it was catching up to the manga. The new anime is just an accurate manga adaption the whole way through.

I'd say the only chance for a Bleach anime revival would be if the movie turns out to be a massive success.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 20, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I think I can safely say that for me, the best thing to come out of bleach was that someone told me Liar Game also had a lovely ending so I started reading it and am enjoying this series knowing full well it ends on a bag of poo poo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Liar Game basically just trips at the finish line, as opposed to Bleach's not being relevant in a decade.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Given that we still don't know how ghost reproduction works, I am going to assume Rukia and Renji just murdered some child and convinced her they were her parents.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Maybe they plucked her from the endless slums just outside the gated community of Soul Society.

You know, the ones that were forgotten about and never questioned after the beginning of the SS arc.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, no. kubo admitted the hilarious existence of ghost babies way back. generally only ghost peasants were ever human. magic ghosts came into being when a ghost mommy and a ghost daddy who loved each other very much bumped ghost uglies. though, even with a premise that bizarre there are several potential plot hooks. you know, like exploring what ghosts who were never human and have barely ever interacted with humans think of them, or problems with ghost society and their useless ghost oligarchy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doresh posted:

FMA is an entirely different situation. The old anime had to make up its own ending because it was catching up to the manga. The new anime is just an accurate manga adaption the whole way through.

I'd say the only chance for a Bleach anime revival would be if the movie turns out to be a massive success.

Bleach looks fantastic and has enough of a mythos (or the undercooked elements of one, anyway) to potentially be a really solid series, if you rebuilt it from the ground up with a complete reboot. But I'd be surprised if anyone was allowed to attempt it in the next decade. The film is just a one-off; I doubt they'd want to try anything long-term with the franchise for a long while yet.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

How much maternity leave does a captain get?

If they revived the bleach anime they should just rewrite the entire final arc without Kubo because they really couldn't do a worse job with it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why should captains need maternity leave? it isn't like they do anything.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

slev posted:

How much maternity leave does a captain get?

If they revived the bleach anime they should just rewrite the entire final arc without Kubo because they really couldn't do a worse job with it.

Probably 100 years. Everything seems to take 100 years in soul society. :shrug:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Probably 100 years. Everything seems to take 100 years in soul society. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4Sb_rnCqw&t=64s

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Serious Frolicking posted:

oh, no. kubo admitted the hilarious existence of ghost babies way back. generally only ghost peasants were ever human. magic ghosts came into being when a ghost mommy and a ghost daddy who loved each other very much bumped ghost uglies. though, even with a premise that bizarre there are several potential plot hooks. you know, like exploring what ghosts who were never human and have barely ever interacted with humans think of them, or problems with ghost society and their useless ghost oligarchy.

What if all noble ghost babies are horrible crimes against nature committed by Mayuri? That would be the one plausible reason for why he can get away with what he did, does, and will continue to do.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bleach looks fantastic and has enough of a mythos (or the undercooked elements of one, anyway) to potentially be a really solid series, if you rebuilt it from the ground up with a complete reboot. But I'd be surprised if anyone was allowed to attempt it in the next decade. The film is just a one-off; I doubt they'd want to try anything long-term with the franchise for a long while yet.

That's why I'm not really expecting much of anything unless the movie becomes, like, a massive hit.

And the only real "mythos" is like in the first two arcs. Everything after that is are essentially tournament arcs, with a filler arc inbetween.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Well

This is actually really good

- No boring 1vs1 fighting

- Characters have personality

- No one sided "counter counter my sword is a god buster"

- Kido

- Hikifune being the good character that could have been but never was

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

Liar Game basically just trips at the finish line, as opposed to Bleach's not being relevant in a decade.

Liar game was all about the journey, rather than the destination.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In retrospect, the anime made the right call ending it with the Fullbring arc.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Geniasis posted:

I was thinking the same thing, recently. That really is a much better place to end the series and makes it better overall as a result. If only it didn't have so much filler.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like Bleach was popular enough to get some nostalgia series years from now, but I don't think people gonna touch the poop to make an anime for a while.

Geniasis posted:

After all it resolves the mystery we spent an entire thread debating, what's suspicious about that creepy badge, which was probably #1 important plot thread on most people's lists

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

After all it resolves the mystery we spent an entire thread debating, what's suspicious about that creepy badge, which was probably #1 important plot thread on most people's lists

Is that true? That was the one thing that kept bothering me when I stopped after Deicide.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

lezard_valeth posted:

Well

This is actually really good

- No boring 1vs1 fighting

- Characters have personality

- No one sided "counter counter my sword is a god buster"

- Kido

- Hikifune being the good character that could have been but never was

Cooking Mama's rice paddle released into a pair of cooking chopsticks :allears:

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

How bleach should have ended.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Let's all take a moment to laugh at this for actually happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOSq2WPM0c

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Akumos posted:

I don't get it

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't get it

That's a song from the Bleach OST during Hueco Mundo

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Akumos posted:

That's a song from the Bleach OST during Hueco Mundo

I'd say the songs from that period were good on their own... but I think that's because they were recycled from the soundtrack from a much better movie.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Akumos posted:

owns as much as the guy who did figure skating to cowboy bebop

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That dude owned because he actually dressed up like Spike Speigel.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

now that I'd like to see

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8znN62hLAyg

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Doresh posted:

Is that true? That was the one thing that kept bothering me when I stopped after Deicide.

The badge was restraining Ichigo's power because as it turned out, Soul Society didn't immediately trust some random super powered teenager who just finished invading them.

It actually made perfect sense and was one of the reasons the Fullbringer arc seemed to be starting off well. But then Soul Society shows up, goes "nah it's cool we totally trust you now" and that's the end of that.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The Flamenco guitar ost they did for the Hueco Mundo arc was awesome. Better than Bleach deserved.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

thank you

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Now that Bleach's end has come and gone, we should check just how big Bleach truly is.

With its final breath, Bleach came nowhere near close to comparing to a filler episode of Naruto airing on tv two years after the manga had already ended.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I'm not quite sure how you get all that from a google trends graph but ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Looks like google trends is pointless.

• Locked thread