Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If the singer were instead Jean Chretien and the jokes were about his face being partially paralyzed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
First they came for the dangerous jackasses who normalize mockery, bullying and condescension towards disabled people.

this is analogous to going after minority groups and political dissidents because errr

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heavy neutrino posted:

First they came for the dangerous jackasses who normalize mockery, bullying and condescension towards disabled people.

I look forward to 60% of 14-year-olds being in juvie.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

PT6A posted:

I read the article and I still feel the same way. It may have been a correct ruling according to Quebec law, I'm not disputing that; what I'm saying is that the Quebec law is, then, a violation of fundamental human rights (not those rights guaranteed by law, but rather the rights that all human beings should have regardless of the law). You could argue that the law against insulting the monarchy in Thailand is not a violation of human rights because the right to criticize the monarchy is not a right provided by law in Thailand, but it would be foolish to say it's not a violation of people's inherent right to freely express themselves.

I don't want the government ruling on whether any speech is necessary or "contributes to social and political decision making, or is an expression of self-fulfillment" in order to have protection for it, thank you very much.

Like I said, I think the comedian is a sack of poo poo for what he said, and I don't approve of it at all, but I still believe that his right to say what he said must be protected. If no more comedy clubs want to book him because he's a piece of poo poo, that's okay; what's not okay is the government fining him five figures for making a joke in extremely poor taste.

My point isn't that "It's the law, therefore it's moral", my point is that you retards haven't even bothered to read the logical conclusions and reasoning that the courts took in their analysis, and instead close your ears and yell "NUH UH FREEDOM OF SPEECH UNALIENABLE NUH UH".

Read the case and analysis, debate those conclusions and moral reasonings instead of just reading the title.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

P-Value Hack posted:

My point isn't that "It's the law, therefore it's moral", my point is that you retards haven't even bothered to read the logical conclusions and reasoning that the courts took in their analysis, and instead close your ears and yell "NUH UH FREEDOM OF SPEECH UNALIENABLE NUH UH".

Read the case and analysis, debate those conclusions and moral reasonings instead of just reading the title.
He's from Alberta, do you think your ask is reasonable given that truth bomb?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

P-Value Hack posted:

Yes I did read the article, including the motivations they had for their decision. I disagree that Section 4 of the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, the right to dignity, honour and reputation, has been materially harmed by the joke that was made in such a severe manner that it should supersede the right to freedom of expression, guaranteed by Section 3. The human rights tribunal disagreed, and the fact that there is legal room for them to disagree and impose such a fine, is a giant loving problem to be dealt with.

So don't accuse me of not reading poo poo just because I disagree with your personal conclusions on the matter.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Some interesting polling numbers out of BC:
http://www.innovativeresearch.ca/si...ease_Deck_0.pdf

Top of the agenda in the next election is housing affordability. LNG is barely a blip on anyone's radar.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Reykjavik for the marathon this weekend and after going to buy beer in a store, I'm not sure I'm allowed to complain about Ontario any more.

There was a line and a bouncer for the ability to buy incredibly overpriced (like everything Reykjavik) beer in a sterile workmanlike environment. Even the beer store is nicer, to say nothing of the LCBO.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Jordan7hm posted:

Even the beer store is nicer

:aaa:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm in Reykjavik for the marathon this weekend and after going to buy beer in a store, I'm not sure I'm allowed to complain about Ontario any more.

There was a line and a bouncer for the ability to buy incredibly overpriced (like everything Reykjavik) beer in a sterile workmanlike environment. Even the beer store is nicer, to say nothing of the LCBO.

I was there around the same time last summer and found that beer was ridiculously expensive. The best part of the bars there is that they have a game you can play where you can throw 2000 ISK to spin a wheel where you may end up with nothing, a pint, two pints, four pints, a shot, or a metre of beer (about eight pints). I watched some bros from the UK spin the wheel constantly in the "English pub" and they ended up with something close to three dozen beers, which would be worth about 65,000 ISK, or $720 CAD. They ended up giving away a lot of the beer since there were only four of them--I ended up getting two pints.

Would go back to that country in a heartbeat though.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 20, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Significantly nicer.

And yeah don't get me wrong I like this country. Its gorgeous. The marathon along the sea was super nice. And the airfare is really cheap. I think you need to live here to have it be affordable though. Like from a lodging perspective my 6 nights in Paris in a couple weeks costs as much as 2 nights here.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Helsing posted:

This is switching gears back to something the thread was gnawing on a day ago but I think this article is a reasonably good summation of why the 'PM Selfie' label has stuck. Because anyone not enamored with Trudeau has at least intuitively picked up on the fact that his media strategy is probably the only genuinely innovative thing about our new Prime Minister.

I tend to think that Trudeau is better than Harper if only because he isn't on an intentional mission to sabotage the federal government, and because he's somewhat better on climate change, but politically speaking him and Harper are part of the same centrist blob which has absorbed all three major parties. But then I find myself reconsidering that because with Harper his political future always balanced on a knife's edge and the moment he got his majority and started implementing a more muscular conservative agenda he was already on track to lose. Now Trudeau is pursuing many similar policies (minus the war on the federal bureaucracy or the utter refusal to make token gestures toward environmentalists or natives or whomever else) but getting massive and enthusiastic support for them.

This is all familiar ground at this point and I don't think it's a revelation to anyone but perhaps it's helpful to state the argument as simply as possible. While Trudeau may not be as bad as Harper in every particular, there are some areas where he's actually worse, for instance:

RE: "PM Selfie" I'm starting to become curious whether Trudeau will ever actually spend his political capital in a significant way or if he's so interested in remaining popular (and remaining in power) that he's not going to enact any significant policies that would upset people.

The pre-Paris summit with Premiers on climate change and carbon pricing was a good example of this. The PM was rebuffed by the Premiers and he was unable to make good on an election promise at that moment. Now we've seen with BC's recently revealed environment plan that that province will freeze its carbon tax and the province is regressing on climate issues. The PM remains incredibly popular. Good leadership on this issue in my opinion would be that Trudeau would cash in some of his political capital and bring in a carbon tax floor. This would certainly hurt his popularity in some areas. I wonder if we'll see that.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Prohibition in Iceland lasted in some forms until 1989 and alcohol abstinence remains high. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31622038

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Femtosecond posted:

Prohibition in Iceland lasted in some forms until 1989 and alcohol abstinence remains high. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31622038

So does drinking in the streets and singing very loudly. From an outsider's perspective it's an interesting relationship with alcohol.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Just so I'm clear, thread consensus is that language police in Quebec are bad but thought police in Quebec are good?

The language police isn't even real. It's pure propaganda bullshit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MonsieurChoc posted:

Say what? It's very much real. There are laws about how much French you must have on signs, and I believe customers must be addressed first in French, and there are people who go around to inspect businesses and enforce those laws.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MonsieurChoc posted:

Uhh no I'm pretty sure the Office de la langue francaise is still in business.

Fwiw I actually support their mission to protect french culture in Quebec. *ducks tomatoes thrown from every other province*

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
"your rights end where my feelings begin" - cool illegal jokes tribunal

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
"What did the bad boy tell you to say next, Jayden?"

"I...I am sofa king, we taught Ed"

*chief inquisitor frowns and continues taking notes*

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Uhh no I'm pretty sure the Office de la langue francaise is still in business.

Fwiw I actually support their mission to protect french culture in Quebec. *ducks tomatoes thrown from every other province*

Their mission is fine and good. The way they've tried to enforce it has at times been anything but.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Their mission is fine and good. The way they've tried to enforce it has at times been anything but.

Agreed. I don't object to the preservation of the French language in Quebec or in the other Francophone communities in Canada, but OLF and some (but not all) of the regulations they enforce are nonsense.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Wow who would have thought that the guy who loves to call women cunts would be supportive of an rear end in a top hat like mike ward

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Booourns posted:

Wow who would have thought that the guy who loves to call women cunts would be supportive of an rear end in a top hat like mike ward

Two things wrong with this: I don't "love to call women cunts," I call people in general cunts, if I think they deserve it. I don't see it as any more gendered than calling someone a prick. Secondly, I don't support what Mike Ward said and I've been clear about this from the beginning. I think it's a horrible unfunny thing to say, and I think he's a piece of crap (in fact, to wit, I believe I called him a oval office in my first post on the subject). But I do believe he has the right to say any horrible thing he likes without the government fining him for it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

Two things wrong with this: I don't "love to call women cunts," I call people in general cunts, if I think they deserve it. I don't see it as any more gendered than calling someone a prick. Secondly, I don't support what Mike Ward said and I've been clear about this from the beginning. I think it's a horrible unfunny thing to say, and I think he's a piece of crap (in fact, to wit, I believe I called him a oval office in my first post on the subject). But I do believe he has the right to say any horrible thing he likes without the government fining him for it.

You're a prick.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

My oval office has no gender... What is this? 1990?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What you need to understand about me, is... *talking continues into a drone, and then thereafter gradually into turns into slurping sounds as PT6A licks his own nuts, dick and rear end in a top hat which is really the sole motivation for every boring narcissistic overly detailed post he makes about his stupid pointless existence*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're a prick.

I can't argue with that.

terrorist ambulance posted:

What you need to understand about me, is... *talking continues into a drone, and then thereafter gradually into turns into slurping sounds as PT6A licks his own nuts, dick and rear end in a top hat which is really the sole motivation for every boring narcissistic overly detailed post he makes about his stupid pointless existence*

If I were that flexible, I wouldn't have any free time for forums posting.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME DADDY DIDN'T PAY ENOUGH ATTENTION POST POST POST MUSTANG MUSTANG MUSTANG

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What did Gerald Stanley elect, anyways? Judge and jury?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 9, 2022

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Every day this thread is an adventure in shitnposting.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A vital function to which you are indispensable

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

terrorist ambulance posted:

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME DADDY DIDN'T PAY ENOUGH ATTENTION POST POST POST MUSTANG MUSTANG MUSTANG

Empty quotin dis

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
This thread and this country are an insane circlejerk of stupidity.

I'm so glad to be eventually emigrating.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Awwww, bless. JT hugging Gord Downie in Kingston tonight.

https://twitter.com/thehipdotcom/status/767143859771940864/photo/1

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hopefully by Gord Downie's sacrifice, we can buy Rush another decade of health and touring. :canada:

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Serious post, yall better be watching the hip concert tonight on cbc

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

PT6A posted:

Hopefully by Gord Downie's sacrifice, we can buy Rush another decade of health and touring. :canada:

The Climatoligists' Curse has already taken hold, the life force and pep will surely be granted to Nickelback.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

zapplez posted:

Serious post, yall better be watching the hip concert tonight on cbc

I have difficulty imagining things less appealing to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Playstation 4 posted:

The Climatoligists' Curse has already taken hold, the life force and pep will surely be granted to Nickelback.

Oh dear lord no!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I have difficulty imagining things less appealing to watch.

I'm gonna give it a shot. If they perform their goods songs that I like, I'll watch. If they sing the whiny boring ones that they've been using on all the CBC promos, I'll not watch.