Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Det_no posted:

I'm still mid summer during my first playthrough so I haven't seen any of that but apparently all the marriage stuff was miserable enough to warrant a "less sad marriage lines" mod or something like that. It's over at the nexus.

Haha, I was actually gonna ask if any mods added more or something along those lines but was worried it'd sound like a stupid question. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Sono posted:

Buy a $5,000 chainsaw designed for the logging industry when the largest tree in your yard has a trunk diameter of 4 inches.

Or something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYKg0gbRFns

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

And that's really loving sad about Elliot. What the hell. Marriage doesn't seem like it does a whole lot for your spouse, aside from getting a few of them out of mom and dad's house? One of my friends kept saying that I'd be better off with Elliot and... wow. I guess not.

In a lot of cases, they still pursue their prior calling (Hence the new room they add), and now they're doing it with solid financial backing and stability. Sure, they need to raise a family in the meantime, but it's not like they're chained to the house.

Although Haley might as well be, but it's not like she was doing anything beforehand.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

gently caress you, Pierre.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The friend who got me into Stardew is really annoyed with her decision to marry Harvey. He apparently makes breakfast once in a very long while, takes a couple of days off a week to do nothing, goes in to work at the clinic once or twice a week, and complains about being run off his feet... when he isn't grumbling about her giving gifts to friends.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I initially thought I'd be more interested in Harvey but every single time I talk to him he tells me that his clinic isn't doing well. God, Harvey, we all have problems, yeah?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I initially thought I'd be more interested in Harvey but every single time I talk to him he tells me that his clinic isn't doing well. God, Harvey, we all have problems, yeah?

He makes more selling ten energy drinks than I did in my first week.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

WarpedNaba posted:

In a lot of cases, they still pursue their prior calling (Hence the new room they add), and now they're doing it with solid financial backing and stability. Sure, they need to raise a family in the meantime, but it's not like they're chained to the house.

Although Haley might as well be, but it's not like she was doing anything beforehand.

Spouses have to much to do. Water the crops by the sprinklers. Feed the animals in the auto-feeder barn.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I want one for my farm. :stwoon:

To deal with regrowing trees, fallen branches, slimes, father-in-law and elves. Imagine the pointy ears actually being useful and fertilizing the fields as nature intended.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

"if only more people in this community had horrible, debilitating illnesses"

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Come in to see what the game's like, see goons bitching about their pretend husbandos.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

More that they're mandated by the relationship dialogue to destroy everything they love.

It's on the developer's to-fix list.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ain't got no time for relationships, I'm here to make some mad money.

Just take your two jars of honey a week and send me your recipes.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Man, when's 1.1 coming?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah, I wonder when new content is showing up so I can lose another 2 weeks to this game.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The last dev blog update made it seem like it might be a bit cuz they're burned out. :(

I'm heading into my second winter and it's gonna be a bad time because I need to move my coop and barn due to bad planning. I scoffed at those grid planning websites until I remembered how loving weird I was with my Minecraft setups.

Also I'm trying to get pregnant because why not give Sebastian something to do

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm heading into my second winter and it's gonna be a bad time because I need to move my coop and barn due to bad planning. I scoffed at those grid planning websites until I remembered how loving weird I was with my Minecraft setups.

The next update will let you move buildings, Until that point I just use this save game editor to move my buildings. It comes with an inventory editor to save time on the most tedious of tasks, finding the randomly buried artifacts around the map.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense with Sam.

And that's really loving sad about Elliot. What the hell. Marriage doesn't seem like it does a whole lot for your spouse, aside from getting a few of them out of mom and dad's house? One of my friends kept saying that I'd be better off with Elliot and... wow. I guess not.

Leah takes to it a lot better than Elliott does, and Alex makes a surprisingly awesome spouse.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

His whole thing about the bike was also using it to go visit the city and he also just told me he has no real interest in going to the city anymore. gently caress. I feel extremely bad for the dude right now, I think I ruined his life by marrying him. Can't wait to have a kid so I can ruin it some more.

Abigail also seems pretty happy about being married to you, but I actually can't help but think she and Sebastian really need to get together, get the hell out of Stardew Valley and never look back, and marrying either of them is ultimately going to give them unfulfilled lives.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Maru's a good wife. She still does her own things and occasionally gives me free bombs :3:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ignimbrite posted:

Maru's a good wife. She still does her own things and occasionally gives me free bombs :3:

My Maru's holding out.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Alex makes a surprisingly awesome spouse.

He's probably going to take to it by trying his damndest to become the father he always wanted to have.

It's certainly relatable.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I just picked this up looking for a casual sit in front of my steam linked tv. I lost about 5 hours yesterday. My only issue is that I may get a repetitive stress injury from watering. I need to go mine a bit so I can make sprinklers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WarpedNaba posted:

He's probably going to take to it by trying his damndest to become the father he always wanted to have.

It's certainly relatable.

I'm pretty happy with Leah as my spouse of choice. She can work on her art all day long while I bring in all the money.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

Abigail also seems pretty happy about being married to you, but I actually can't help but think she and Sebastian really need to get together, get the hell out of Stardew Valley and never look back, and marrying either of them is ultimately going to give them unfulfilled lives.
Penny's the girl who needs to gtho of Stardew Valley. Taking care of her alcoholic mother is really doing a number on her.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tater_salad posted:

I just picked this up looking for a casual sit in front of my steam linked tv. I lost about 5 hours yesterday. My only issue is that I may get a repetitive stress injury from watering. I need to go mine a bit so I can make sprinklers.

Upgrade your watering can in the last few days of a season or in Winter. You can time it so that you won't have any crops bloom in the last week so it won't make any difference if you can water them or not.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Vargatron posted:

Upgrade your watering can in the last few days of a season or in Winter. You can time it so that you won't have any crops bloom in the last week so it won't make any difference if you can water them or not.

Though not watering just delays them by a single day. So upgrading in the middle of the month would just push that event a day anyway.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Or just check the weather everyday and when it says it's gonna rain tomorrow, give your can to Clint when you're done watering that day. That way he's working on it while the rain waters your crops for you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does an upgraded can cover more area?

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

taiyoko posted:

Or just check the weather everyday and when it says it's gonna rain tomorrow, give your can to Clint when you're done watering that day. That way he's working on it while the rain waters your crops for you.

I was screwed over on my second playthrough because I did this and ended up getting really lovely luck that first spring. It rained once or twice in the first 10 days and then nothing for the rest of the season. I ended up not upgrading any of my tools that first spring waiting for the rain that never came. I couldn't put off watering my crops since I had a shitload invested in cauliflower that was going to be harvested on the last day.

Sometimes it's best to upgrade other tools and waiting to upgrade your can until the season changes.

tater_salad posted:

Yeah. You just have to hold down the use button and let it charge up.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

tater_salad posted:

Yeah, if you hold the action button down it gives you three squares in a line at copper and it goes up from there as you upgrade more.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

tater_salad posted:

Holding down the "use" button results in bigger increments of watered ground when wielding an upgraded can: a 1x3 line for copper, a 1x5 line for steel, a 3x3 area for gold, and a 6x3 area for iridium.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

6x3 area for iridium.

Anyone else find it weird that he didn't make this 5x5? Seems like the natural progression.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

MMAgCh posted:

Holding down the "use" button results in bigger increments of watered ground when wielding an upgraded can: a 1x3 line for copper, a 1x5 line for steel, a 3x3 area for gold, and a 6x3 area for iridium.

Holy poo poo I feel like such an idiot for never realizing this

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Holy poo poo I feel like such an idiot for never realizing this

Don't worry, you're far from alone. The game doesn't explain it and most people would never think to try it unless they played some of the Harvest Moon games that had the same mechanic.

It should really be in a tutorial book or Clint should mention it when you upgrade or something since it's not very intuitive.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

limp_cheese posted:

Anyone else find it weird that he didn't make this 5x5? Seems like the natural progression.

It feels reminiscent of Harvest Moon, at least the earlier games when one pack of seeds did you a 3x3 area, so a 6x3 would do two plots. But this game has one bag of seeds per plot so unless he was going for nostalgia 5x5 would've been smarter. Especially with the iridium sprinklers.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also, for the iridium hoe / watering can, the 6x3 charge level uses the same energy (and amount of water for the watering can) as the 1x1 charge level. So it's incredibly in your favour to upgrade since it's just that much more efficient than just the 1x1 or even just the straight line upgrades.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

But then you should already have everything covered by quality sprinklers before you start gathering Iridium.

In my opinion the sprinklers should each have their range increased by 1.

The regular sprinklers are useless for the amount of materials they consume and the Iridium sprinklers require materials that are too "end game" by the time you can build them your fields will already be fully watered. The added range of Iridium sprinklers doesn't really make up for having to renovate the entire growing area.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah but the iridium tools means it's much easier to make huge fields for growing poo poo in, and makes strip-mining sandy areas in the mine for artifacts much easier.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Ignimbrite posted:

strip-mining sandy areas in the mine for artifacts much easier.

That's what bombs are for :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I burn through so many solar essences :gonk: