Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

They will be treated humanely

:agreed:

Hell his non white supporters have been kicked out of his rallies because anyone not white is suspicious as gently caress.

Edit: god I have the worst snipes in D&D threads. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

achillesforever6 posted:

I tell him the world will be better when all the non Union Republican Boomers are dead; then he gets mad because I call people from Pennsyltucky hicks who gently caress up everything about this state and that I don't give a poo poo about coal miners losing their jobs because some industries are meant to fade away like the Ice Industry or Whaling.

Big Ice is coming back in a big way if this climate change poo poo keeps up

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Trabisnikof posted:

No polling empahasises the weakness in the polls.

not bad

useful and valuable

All polls are flawed

Representative polls do mention their margin of error. This poll is just bullshit that's easily abused, even if it's "technically and methodologically correct" a million times. That all polls are flawed is just a cheap deflection from you, sort of like "well every approximation of Pi is bad, 3.1415926 is flawed, so let's just use 3 for everything".

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
right around the time USPOL starts talking about various lovely polls is when I start to get my :supaburn: on again

Other polls have shown a softening of support for Clinton by a few percent in the past week - it isn't just this one. And, while that poll does not do a good job of showing the current stage of the race, and the MoE is high, I don't think it's a coincidence that Trump is seeing an uptick in support among black voters immediately after making a direct appeal to them - regardless of how shallow and tone-deaf his words may have been. That uptick is black Republicans who were waiting for an excuse to support Trump and now they've got it.

I'm confident Hillary is going to win, but a landslide is looking a lot less likely, and with that so goes the House and probably the Senate.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

If the MtG twitter account is any indication the most common planeswalker kid name is Liliana

Niton posted:

I have a friend with a sister in her 20s named Elspeth, actually :v: It's just the Scottish variant of Elizabeth.

This is the dopest thing I've learned from this thread

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

flavor posted:

Representative polls do mention their margin of error. This poll is just bullshit that's easily abused, even if it's "technically and methodologically correct" a million times. That all polls are flawed is just a cheap deflection from you, sort of like "well every approximation of Pi is bad, 3.1415926 is flawed, so let's just use 3 for everything".

This poll mentions the margin of error? Did you look at USC's website they host about the poll?

The method isn't bad and the fact the numbers don't match other polls with other methods doesn't condemn this poll but provide a greater composite view of the electorate.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Trabisnikof posted:

Good thing the poll says the weighted average of black voters is that they give themselves a 13.6% chance of voting for him.

How is this at all useful if it's producing polls that in no way actually reflect voting patterns?

quote:

While that difference might be too subtle for some, it is a useful and different data point.

lol gently caress off

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Fox Ironic posted:

Generation X 1964 - 1984
Also known as the MTV generation, seen as the last "good generation" by most Boomers and Silents.

Oh, no, they hated us in the early 90s and griped endlessly about us in the media. Millennials were supposed to be the "good ones" who would right the ship.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lotka Volterra posted:

How is this at all useful if it's producing polls that in no way actually reflect voting patterns?

lol gently caress off

Do you have any evidence that using this method in the past has produced noticeably worse results than other polling methods?

Besides, a more fine grain understanding of the electorate is valuable. Let's say that the jump in self-described probability of voting for Trump among Black voters is sustained. Even if they vote for Clinton in Nov, it would be vastly interesting to partisans to understand why they started giving themselves the mental space to vote Trump. Did security resonate? Clinton corruption? Or maybe this is a normal trend and voters love to pretend they get "swayed" by the horserace?

And that's one small way having a diversity of methods is valuable.

Edit: I agree reporting on tracking polls is lovely, but the issue isn't the method it is how the media summarizes it.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 21, 2016

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kilroy posted:

right around the time USPOL starts talking about various lovely polls is when I start to get my :supaburn: on again

Other polls have shown a softening of support for Clinton by a few percent in the past week - it isn't just this one. And, while that poll does not do a good job of showing the current stage of the race, and the MoE is high, I don't think it's a coincidence that Trump is seeing an uptick in support among black voters immediately after making a direct appeal to them - regardless of how shallow and tone-deaf his words may have been. That uptick is black Republicans who were waiting for an excuse to support Trump and now they've got it.

I'm confident Hillary is going to win, but a landslide is looking a lot less likely, and with that so goes the House and probably the Senate.

Actually the current aggregate of the state polls has Clinton with her highest win % so far at 89%.

http://election.princeton.edu/

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kilroy posted:

I think it's that he hasn't had some sort of gaffe in the last week or so. Not a bad one at any rate. Sure people under him are rolling in their own poo poo but he's been conspicuously quiet on the national stage and has instead been doing rallies.

Also keep in mind that August is normally fairly quiet at this time of the month. We're far past the DNC/RNC. Normally the debates would be the next thing to look forward to but I think Trump is looking for any reason to back out of them without further tanking his own numbers. As someone from the thread mentioned he may try to get Johnson/Stein in a four way debate in order to give himself cover while they attack her. He can speak less and criticize more. He can then criticize Hillary for not wanting free and open debates with two candidates that together barely break 10% of the electorate in a first past the poll system. Hillary refuses and then Trump can declare that "look, politics is rigged" and just not show up for any debates. They both look bad, but Trump doesn't display that he doesn't understand how politics work on stage. He loses, but he loses less than if he was called on the fact that he knows nothing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Trabisnikof posted:

Edit: I agree reporting on tracking polls is lovely, but the issue isn't the method it is how the media summarizes it.

Tracking polls are fine. What isn't fine is taking a metric that is essentially a sliding scale of voter enthusiasm for a candidate and then attempting to translate it to actual support in percentages.

Those things aren't 1:1, and it shows by how far off this poll has been off from every other.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Don't they count any show of support for Trump, but only "enthusiastic" support for Clinton?

Even Boosted was mocking this poll back around the RNC, but now he and other Trumpsters are forced to drink from this fetid pond and tell us it is finest Trump Champagne Sparkling White Whine

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

iospace posted:

:derp: time! My local news reported that Hillary has to testify under oath to judicial watch about the emails

This is starting to feel like an episode of Jojo

GOP: "We have you now, you must testify under Oath"

Hillary: "Yare yare daze..."

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

This poll mentions the margin of error?

Is this supposed to be a question? I'm asking because some people end statements in question marks here.

Trabisnikof posted:

Did you look at USC's website they host about the poll?

The point was that you had posted that other polls don't emphasize their weaknesses. I would contend that they do, that was all.

Trabisnikof posted:

Okay, you're getting it now. Also, some of "the media" that's warping this is the LA Times itself. They should have published this with a huge caveat in the first sentence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is starting to feel like an episode of Jojo

GOP: "We have you now, you must testify under Oath"

Hillary: "Yare yare daze..."
"I'm gonna FIX that election."

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

iospace posted:

:derp: time! My local news reported that Hillary has to testify under oath to judicial watch about the emails

The piece I read said she has to respond, in writing if she wishes, to their questions that they have yet to submit and she has like a month to respond once they submit.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Epic High Five posted:

Don't they count any show of support for Trump, but only "enthusiastic" support for Clinton?

That's what someone claimed the last time it was talked about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

flavor posted:

Is this supposed to be a question? I'm asking because some people end statements in question marks here.

The point was that you had posted that other polls don't emphasize their weaknesses. I would contend that they do, that was all.

Okay, you're getting it now. Also, some of "the media" that's warping this is the LA Times itself. They should have published this with a huge caveat in the first sentence.

Yeah they all post their margin of errors. But do you have any examples of say ABC or MSNBC conducted polling that sets the standard for honestly reporting results in your eyes? I can believe smaller/ngo organizations do, but I doubt there are many big media companies that start the reporting on their own polling with big caveats.

Because in my opinion they're all as bad as this because they all have the same problem: people don't want more complex answers. At least not from their news sources.

Plus who wants to poo poo talk the work your company paid to do.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well I'm no statistician but when 19/20 polls say one thing and 1 says another well...

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Fox Ironic posted:

Not that it matters but;

Lost Generation 1883 - 1900
World War 1 Veterans. They're (mostly) all dead now. Slightly shorter than a usual generation due to...

Greatest Generation 1900 - 1924
Came of Age during Great Depression, Fought in World War 2. Longer of a Generation because the qualifying factors are so broad.

Silent Generation 1924 -1944
The ones who actually hosed everything up, but pass the blame onto...

Baby Boomers 1944 - 1964
Accused of loving everything up, certainly contributed to the loving up of everything, but the worst stuff was done by the Silents and the oldest of the Boomers

Generation X 1964 - 1984
Also known as the MTV generation, seen as the last "good generation" by most Boomers and Silents.

Millennials (formerly know as Generation Y) 1984 - 2001
My generation, accused of being lazy and entitled. First generation to be born with computers and internet being prevalent. Shorter since the end of the generation is considered 9/11/2001, after that you are considered to be...

Generation Z 2001 - 2021
Born AFTER 9/11/2001, other than that ????

Oddly enough, by this definition both myself and my parents are generation x....

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Fox Ironic posted:

Generation X 1964 - 1984

Millennials (formerly know as Generation Y) 1984 - 2001
My generation, accused of being lazy and entitled. First generation to be born with computers and internet being prevalent. Shorter since the end of the generation is considered 9/11/2001, after that you are considered to be...

excuse me the gen x/millennial border is 1980

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's a weird overlap twilight range around 77-82 that people haven't quite decided on.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Freakazoid_ posted:

People born between 1980 and 1984 are sometimes regarded as a "freak" generation, because Millennials just aren't really supposed to have any memories of the Cold War.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

FetusSlapper posted:

The piece I read said she has to respond, in writing if she wishes, to their questions that they have yet to submit and she has like a month to respond once they submit.

Or what?

(I may have missed the news but is this a real lawsuit or just them trying her further in the court of public opinion? )

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I'm no statistician but when 19/20 polls say one thing and 1 says another well...

Dewey defeats Truman!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah they all post their margin of errors. But do you have any examples of say ABC or MSNBC conducted polling that sets the standard for honestly reporting results in your eyes? I can believe smaller/ngo organizations do, but I doubt there are many big media companies that start the reporting on their own polling with big caveats.

Because in my opinion they're all as bad as this because they all have the same problem: people don't want more complex answers. At least not from their news sources.

Plus who wants to poo poo talk the work your company paid to do.

I remember that when I see these representative polls on TV or in the NYTimes, they generally say something similar to "800 people were polled over August 3 and 4th and the margin of error is 2%". That's pretty clear to me, and I don't know where there would be any flaw or dishonestly in that. The only nit-picky thing I could think of is that margin of error as an unspoken probability, so it's only a margin of error with, typically, 95% certainty, but that's not disingenuous.

The poll that you hold just as good has a huge and obvious flaw that should be clearly mentioned, but isn't. The fact that people treat it the same as a representative poll emphasizes this.

Complexity of answers is an irrelevant issue to this and applies to both equally. Everything in the world has flaws, it doesn't make things or people equal. Case in point: Two major presidential candidates.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

flavor posted:

I remember that when I see these representative polls on TV or in the NYTimes, they generally say something similar to "800 people were polled over August 3 and 4th and the margin of error is 2%". That's pretty clear to me, and I don't know where there would be any flaw or dishonestly in that. The only nit-picky thing I could think of is that margin of error as an unspoken probability, so it's only a margin of error with, typically, 95% certainty, but that's not disingenuous.

The poll that you hold just as good has a huge and obvious flaw that should be clearly mentioned, but isn't. The fact that people treat it the same as a representative poll emphasizes this.

Complexity of answers is an irrelevant issue to this and applies to both equally. Everything in the world has flaws, it doesn't make things or people equal. Case in point: Two major presidential candidates.

Like in every single chart they show the margin of error. I don't understand how you can have actually looked at the reporting and claim they hid the margin of error.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

iospace posted:

:ughh:

I'm sure the 200th time will be different.

I do like that the same people who blamed the DNC for getting hacked because of their LAX SECURITY are insisting that Hilary's actually secure server was an evil plot full of terrorism and definitely not 90% drunken Bill Clinton texts.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lotka Volterra posted:

Black Voters aren't going 14% for Trump, it's a bad poll. Sorry.

That's not what bad poll means, friend.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Yinlock posted:

:ughh:

I'm sure the 200th time will be different.

The GOP's insistence on harping on Clinton scandals to the point it damages their own reputation like this makes me wonder if the GOP hasn't been completely taken over my radical true believers

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Castomira posted:

People born between 1980 and 1984 are sometimes regarded as a "freak" generation, because Millennials just aren't really supposed to have any memories of the Cold War.

I like calling it the "Oregon Trail" generation. We had computers but much of that was pre-internet or at least the internet was more novelty than anything else.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Univision saying trump will announce a legalization process for some undocumented immigrants in the US

http://www.univision.com/univision-news/politics/trump-to-introduce-reforms-to-legalize-some-undocumented-immigrants

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

emdash posted:

Univision saying trump will announce a legalization process for some undocumented immigrants in the US

http://www.univision.com/univision-news/politics/trump-to-introduce-reforms-to-legalize-some-undocumented-immigrants

I have to imagine this will alienate his base far more than it might attract Latino voters

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think it's that he hasn't had some sort of gaffe in the last week or so. Not a bad one at any rate. Sure people under him are rolling in their own poo poo but he's been conspicuously quiet on the national stage and has instead been doing rallies.
It's incredible to me that the Manafort thing is just totally blowing over. The guy in charge of his campaign is working for Putin and the official GOP platform itself reflects that - directly. No one gives a gently caress. Also he broke the law by facilitating bringing in foreign money to influence American politics under the guise of domestic lobbying - ah but the Clinton Foundation, a charity, accepted money from some Saudi Arabian plutocrats a decade ago (and made this fact public a decade ago) so apparently that's a wash. gently caress this electorate.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Dewey defeats Truman!

Pollings changed a bit since 1948.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's just what the liberal media wants you to think!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ice Phisherman posted:

I like calling it the "Oregon Trail" generation. We had computers but much of that was pre-internet or at least the internet was more novelty than anything else.

Oregon Trail came out on the Apple II in 1985, so I'd say the range for that would go quite a bit before 1980. (It was originally for large computers you connected to with terminals in 1971, but that was like all text based and really only the same game in the broadest strokes).

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm more proud of my old PII with 32mb of RAM and 10gb HDD and Rio Karma than any tech I've owned since

emdash posted:

Gonna be really funny when he, you know, doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kilroy posted:

It's incredible to me that the Manafort thing is just totally blowing over. The guy in charge of his campaign is working for Putin and the official GOP platform itself reflects that - directly. No one gives a gently caress. Also he broke the law by facilitating bringing in foreign money to influence American politics under the guise of domestic lobbying - ah but the Clinton Foundation, a charity, accepted money from some Saudi Arabian plutocrats a decade ago (and made this fact public a decade ago) so apparently that's a wash. gently caress this electorate.

I don't think the Manafort thing is blowing over as much as Trump is already so deep its a statistical impossibility for anything to hurt him

• Locked thread