Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm basically bedridden and watching Netflix (or youtube or whatever I guess?) for the next 2 weeks on my phone. So far I've watched

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

I kinda like how in those the story just kind of..ends. Like hey here's what happened between this time and that time, now the movie is over and life goes on. Any suggestions to keep me sane? Basically any good crime and or violent movies.

I think you'll love Beasts of No Nation.

I think everyone should watch that, though, because people kinda forgot about it. It's incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Check out Tusk, I think it's still on Netflix.

I started watching Stranger Things and it's pretty good so far. It's not beating me over the head with 80s stuff like everyone says it does, it's just a series set in the 80s.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alternately don't check out Tusk because it's real bad.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm basically bedridden and watching Netflix (or youtube or whatever I guess?) for the next 2 weeks on my phone. So far I've watched

Nightcrawler
Django Unchained
Killing Them Softly
There Will Be Blood
No Country For Old Men

I kinda like how in those the story just kind of..ends. Like hey here's what happened between this time and that time, now the movie is over and life goes on. Any suggestions to keep me sane? Basically any good crime and or violent movies.

EG v EHome game 1

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

NESguerilla posted:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Ramagamma posted:

EG v EHome game 1

I don't even have an avatar to notice how did my cover get blown

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

GonSmithe posted:

I think you'll love Beasts of No Nation.

I think everyone should watch that, though, because people kinda forgot about it. It's incredible.

It really convinced me that Fukunaga had a huge hand in True Detective Season 1 being as good as it was.

If you're feeling ballsy, watch Beasts of No Nation and wash it down with They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children by Romeo Dallaire :suicide:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I wish Johnny Mad Dog was streaming- also quite great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

I wish Johnny Mad Dog was streaming- also quite great.

It was on YouTube last I checked

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Tusk is about the movie you would expect it to be, except it has too much Johnny Depp in it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What say ye all about Marcella on Netflix? I fell in love with Anna Friel as Chuck on Pushing Daisies and I love a good British crime thriller so it should be right up my alley.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Stranger Things is beautiful. It's not just set in 1983 but from 1983. It's got all the worn tropes and cliches but plays them sly like they're fresh and rad and cool because where it's from they really are. The only false notes for me are the explicit naming of movies and things like Dungeons and Dragons, which wouldn't happen. The opening credits even have non-self-conscious dust spots.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Watched the pilot for the new Tick. Overall I thought it was fairly eh.It's not terrible enough to be any fun to rag on, but not good enough to legitimately enjoy.

I do want to find the person that decided The Tick of all things needed to be darker and more serious and punch them in the snoot.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Watched the pilot for the new Tick. Overall I thought it was fairly eh.It's not terrible enough to be any fun to rag on, but not good enough to legitimately enjoy.

I do want to find the person that decided The Tick of all things needed to be darker and more serious and punch them in the snoot.

Uh, presumably the creator of The Tick, since he wrote it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

Uh, presumably the creator of The Tick, since he wrote it.

Still kind of sucked

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Still kind of sucked

What didn't u like about it specifically?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Hat Thoughts posted:

What didn't u like about it specifically?

It felt completely flat to me for the most part. I did enjoy the bit in the middle with The Terror, but Arthur felt like a less interesting version of Ryan from Wilfred and the gentleman playing The Tick doesn't have the charisma or gravitas to pull off the dialogue. The serious bits didn't go far enough to be amusing satire, and weren't executed well enough for me to find interesting. It's not a completely unsalvageable mess or anything, but it didn't leave me wanting to watch the next episode.

EDIT: I may have liked it better if they went whole hog with making it darker. Thinking about Tick delivering his lines like Bateman has me laughing harder than anything in the show.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 20, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Primarily I just like the insert shot when he gets hit in the face with the plank of wood.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
I just finished binging The Get Down. Pretty good. Didn't realize that was Jaden Smith until I imdb'd the cast and now I can't believe I didn't realize it. Dizzy was just Jaden Smith: 1977. They probably had him write all his own dialog.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The thing I realized while watching the new Tick is that, regardless of the format or the wrapping, the character of the Tick is always the same. I thought the new pilot had some weak spots but it really started hitting for me halfway through. Interesting that they got Wally Pfister to direct, too

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Mullin' it over I think asking The Tick to be more serious (or less-so) are both mistakes because the strengths of the pilot are in the contrast of the very Marvel-Netflix style self-serious universe & these overtly absurd/comedic supercharacters who are running around in it. The funniest moments in the pilot are when the superheroes/villains are given time to breath & break the established boundaries of the world in both a literal (SUPER-Heroes) & comedic (Tick's monologue, the outfits, Jackie Earle Haley's icecream) sense. Stuff like the intro, Whoopis show, or the booking scene which start with a funny premise but push too hard for comedy undermine the credibility of the universe & risk everything becoming a farce ( and therefore unfunny since there's no risk/push).
However all this is second to the strongest part of the show - the plank thing .

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

pahuyuth posted:

What say ye all about Marcella on Netflix? I fell in love with Anna Friel as Chuck on Pushing Daisies and I love a good British crime thriller so it should be right up my alley.

I liked Marcella but as I mentioned earlier we've all already seen it (The Killing, Broadchurch) with the plethora of red herrings and then the final "meh" reveal.

I am halfway through Stranger Things and the 80's stuff is right up my alley (I'm 48) - except nobody had a cherried out Pinto by 1983 they were all trashed by then. Although the show is in "Indiana" and it's filmed in the winter in Georgia and other places, but it's clearly got a PNW vibe to me.

They also got some "Close Encounters", "Altered States" and "Scanners" poo poo in there too. :yum:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

Mullin' it over I think asking The Tick to be more serious (or less-so) are both mistakes because the strengths of the pilot are in the contrast of the very Marvel-Netflix style self-serious universe & these overtly absurd/comedic supercharacters who are running around in it. The funniest moments in the pilot are when the superheroes/villains are given time to breath & break the established boundaries of the world in both a literal (SUPER-Heroes) & comedic (Tick's monologue, the outfits, Jackie Earle Haley's icecream) sense. Stuff like the intro, Whoopis show, or the booking scene which start with a funny premise but push too hard for comedy undermine the credibility of the universe & risk everything becoming a farce ( and therefore unfunny since there's no risk/push).
However all this is second to the strongest part of the show - the plank thing .

you're really on-board with the plank gag huh

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Parallax posted:

you're really on-board with the plank gag huh

It's just the way the insert is edited in there, it reminds me of the dummy head explosion at the start of Dawn of The Dead & the training head shot in Starship Troopers. Obviouslt not as good as either of those but when u remind me of 2 incredible pieces of head-based violence...thats what its all about.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The Tick shows some promise, but I feel like the titular character isn't quite bombastic enough. His dialogue is there, but he needs to speak from the belly. I think that Patrick Warburton did a better job with the projection, but was just in a worse show. The new guy also just looks ... sorta old in a lot of shots. The new costume overall is a step down from the prior. I also would have liked if they could have done Deadpool eyes, but that's minor compared to the other issues.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jesus, why not just reduxx The Maxx instead? I liked my Tick big and dumb-acting like character actor Patrick Warburton.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Jesus, why not just reduxx The Maxx instead? I liked my Tick big and dumb-acting like character actor Patrick Warburton.

Well, you're in luck because the Tick is still the same the Tick. He has lines that sound like they came from the 2001 show. Serafinowicz is honestly great in it, already. They just changed the wrappings around the Tick, which makes more sense than trying to do a sequel to the 2001 series which was very of its time.

I hope people don't just write the new show off because Warburton isn't in it. I wrote off the 2001 show when it first came out because it wasn't exactly like the cartoon, but I was a dumb 10 year old.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Rectify season 3 is up on Netflix and it's still arguably the best show on tv, period. The guy who plays Teddy is outstanding this season. Also, good news: season 4 is already greenlit.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Watching Mr. Robot now on Amazon Prime. Through the first 3 episodes it is pretty great and really great by USA formula standards. What I really wanted to comment on though, is the cold open into the title cards. That poo poo is phenomenal.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

fishtobaskets posted:

Watching Mr. Robot now on Amazon Prime. Through the first 3 episodes it is pretty great and really great by USA formula standards. What I really wanted to comment on though, is the cold open into the title cards. That poo poo is phenomenal.

I watched the first five episodes, and It really does nothing for me. I feel like I'm missing something. Christian Slater is cool, as always, but the show is just dull.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Filthy Hans posted:

Rectify season 3 is up on Netflix and it's still arguably the best show on tv, period. The guy who plays Teddy is outstanding this season. Also, good news: season 4 is already greenlit.

It starts in October and will be the last season. :(

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

What's Rectify about and how is it good?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Filthy Hans posted:

Thank you!!!

Rectify is this TV show that's an extreme slow burn about what happens when a man who has been falsely accused of rape/murder and put in prison for decades comes back to a town that doesn't wholly believe him. That's an oversimplification of the plot, I guess, but if you're into slow burns or realistic stories, you should give it a go. Just a warning: it is a FRUSTRATING show. You probably won't ever be sure if you want to go all in on rooting for Daniel (the main character), and the plot twists, while powerful, are pretty likely to leave you stewing in anger.

EDIT: the cast is one of the most well-rounded casts I've seen in any TV show, I think. Everyone just kills it.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 21, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I appreciate the summary. I'm curious what it's about in the sense that, say, Breaking Bad is about the destruction caused by a man selfishly chasing his need for validation and respect, not in the sense that it's about a high school chemistry teacher making meth. Does that make sense?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

rngd in the womb posted:

Thank you!!!

Rectify is this TV show that's an extreme slow burn about what happens when a man who has been falsely accused of rape/murder and put in prison for decades comes back to a town that doesn't wholly believe him. That's an oversimplification of the plot, I guess, but if you're into slow burns or realistic stories, you should give it a go. Just a warning: it is a FRUSTRATING show. You probably won't ever be sure if you want to go all in on rooting for Daniel (the main character), and the plot twists, while powerful, are pretty likely to leave you stewing in anger.

EDIT: the cast is one of the most well-rounded casts I've seen in any TV show, I think. Everyone just kills it.

This and Bloodline are two of the best shows going and anyone who likes one will probably like the other. Their pacing and general feel are very similar.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sir Kodiak posted:

I appreciate the summary. I'm curious what it's about in the sense that, say, Breaking Bad is about the destruction caused by a man selfishly chasing his need for validation and respect, not in the sense that it's about a high school chemistry teacher making meth. Does that make sense?

It's about a man trying to readjust to the world and start his life after losing more than a decade in a world where most people hate him for something he might not have done.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 21, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

I was bored to poo poo with the show, and it's almost entirely on the main character's internal monologue voice being so dull and emotionless. I watched the whole first season and can't remember much about it except how annoyed I was at his voice.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I liked the first 2/3 of the first season quite a bit, but even then never got the hype. I love how it is shot and edited, and the acting is good to great, but man I hated the writing. So edgy, so adult. It kind of fell apart for me towards the end of the season, though this is one of those instances where I can totally see why people like the show and chalk it up to just not being for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's a gorgeous show but the writing is so obnoxious I couldn't watch it