Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

zapplez posted:

Serious post, yall better be watching the hip concert tonight on cbc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6pwkHjRWuM

Or watch it on youtube while you shitpost.

Seriously though its pretty cool how CBC has embraced the interent, their streaming and webservices have been always been great.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
CanPol thread: garbage posting about garbage music, garbage cars and garbage opinions.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There's a button you can push that will stop climate change

BUT

Humanity will not be able to listen to any music but Nickleback for the rest of the existence of the species.

Choose wisely.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

El Scotch posted:

BUT

Humanity will not be able to listen to any music but Nickleback for the rest of the existence of the species.

Choose wisely.

I would press the button that cleanses the earth with nuclear fire if those were my choices

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Could the CBC be more saccharine? gently caress nationalism so hard.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm glad I'm a francophone and I get to not give a poo poo about the Hip.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I bet the lead singer of Yelo Molo is dying and no one even cares.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

cowofwar posted:

CanPol thread: garbage posting about garbage music, garbage cars and garbage opinions.

But I love all of these things :(

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Quebec is well known for its excellent music lol

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Nah it's just that we're bound by our Québécois genes to automatically sneer at any expression of anglo Canadian nationalism

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sliderule posted:

Ron MacLean needs to shut the gently caress up and get off television forever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Ron MacLean needs to shut the gently caress up and get off television forever.

You shut your whore mouth, Ron MacLean is good.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Trudeau is getting us where we need to go, wrap it up, folks.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

sliderule posted:

Trudeau is getting us where we need to go, wrap it up, folks.

Yeah that line was amusing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

sliderule posted:

The older I get the more I realize that the "Canadian Identity" is almost entirely manufactured horseshit and any expression of it, no matter how genuine, breeds contempt in me

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member
I remember Rob Baker doing some campaign appearances for the Liberal candidates in Kingston elections. Big eye roll at that line but not a big surprise.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

El Scotch posted:

BUT

Choose wisely.

I gather a panel of all the leading biologists, sociologists, anthropologists, and a sacrifice (preferrably Dick Cheney). As I press the button and the world becomes purified, and the music begins to fade from our ears, we sign the papers, we declare the members of our species, save the sacrifice, irreversibly changed from our history and actions. We are declared Homo Sapiens Climatalis as the music reaches a dying pitch. At that moment, the lever is pulled and Cheney is killed through a sheer overdose of Nickelback.

The music returns.

The world is whole.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

You shut your whore mouth, Ron MacLean is good.

Nah that speech was bad gibberish. Maybe you just think he's good because him talking means Don Cherry isn't?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

flakeloaf posted:

Nah that speech was bad gibberish. Maybe you just think he's good because him talking means Don Cherry isn't?

Oh, I didn't listen to his speech. His speech was probably garbage, just like this concert. I have it on and I'm trying to watch it but it's just loving brutal. There's been so far one song that I like in theory, and it sounded bad in concert.

And then there was a thunderstorm or something for gently caress knows what reason.

This concert is actively killing what little intelligence I have left, I think I'm gonna listen to something better now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

large hands posted:

Quebec is well known for its excellent music lol

A few months ago I discovered Coeur de pirate and she is amazing

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Shall we discuss Roch Voisin?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Or Mitsou?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I'm just glad they'll never make music ever again

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I defy anyone to watch this concert and argue that this well didn't run dry a looooong time ago. Sad!

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

namaste faggots posted:

I'm just glad they'll never make music ever again

This concert has been fantastic and the kind of thing that would be written about in encyclopedias if they still made those things. I don't even understand the type of people that couldn't appreciate it at face value. Must be like that one kid in your high school class that would make a point of saying how he wasn't gonna watch the Olympic hockey finals because its a waste of time and instead would be watching reruns of his favourite anime for the tenth time.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I will give Gord props for putting the PM on the spot to improve the condition of reserves in the North. You can't ignore a dying man's wish, can you, Justin?

Also the concert got a lot better as it went on.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I've think we've found that little something all the most annoying posters can agree on.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

zapplez posted:

This concert has been fantastic and the kind of thing that would be written about in encyclopedias if they still made those things. I don't even understand the type of people that couldn't appreciate it at face value. Must be like that one kid in your high school class that would make a point of saying how he wasn't gonna watch the Olympic hockey finals because its a waste of time and instead would be watching reruns of his favourite anime for the tenth time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As a historical event, this concert is interesting. As an actual concert, it's pretty bad.

Or maybe I just always hated the majority of the Hip's song catalogue and just didn't realize it 'til now.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
You people are all garbage The Hip are Canadian icons and their music is pretty damned good and as far as nations go despite having our problems Canada isn't nearly as terrible a place as you shitheads make it out to be.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

As a historical event, this concert is interesting. As an actual concert, it's pretty bad.

Or maybe I just always hated the majority of the Hip's song catalogue and just didn't realize it 'til now.

Everything up to Day For Night was fine. After that, meh. Poets was goddamned irritating.

Good new music hasn't sounded like that for twenty years, and these songs were played literally ad nauseam then. Today it's like U2: safe, inoffensive, not bad enough to turn off but not worth crossing the room to turn on.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

EvilJoven posted:

You people are all garbage The Hip are Canadian icons and their music is pretty damned good and as far as nations go despite having our problems Canada isn't nearly as terrible a place as you shitheads make it out to be.

Yeah. I don't even like The Tragically Hip's music, but these edgy hot takes are kind of bullshit.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

canada's a great country it's the loving people who are garbage ie all of you

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

canada's a great country it's the loving people who are garbage ie all of you

when you point a finger at someone else, 4 fingers are pointing back at you...

- ancient Han Chinese proverb

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's okay, we're ethnic garbage.

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

flakeloaf posted:

Everything up to Day For Night was fine. After that, meh. Poets was goddamned irritating.

Good new music hasn't sounded like that for twenty years, and these songs were played literally ad nauseam then. Today it's like U2: safe, inoffensive, not bad enough to turn off but not worth crossing the room to turn on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

large hands posted:

when you point a finger at someone else, 4 fingers are pointing back at you...

- ancient Han Chinese proverb

Wouldn't your thumb be pointing in the same direction as your finger?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's amusing that there's no way to chant any element of The Tragically Hip or its dying front man's name. A tepid "Hip, Hip, Hip" emerged before an admittedly faux encore sans its customary hurray. Instead it accelerates until it consumes itself as voices lose synchronization. Sometimes a "Gordie, Gordie" is heard, but it is unable to captivate the crowd.

Some combination of Gord's illness and his exhaustion bare their teeth as lyrics find themselves misplaced. His fluctuating timing and rhythm structure clash with the audience's attempted sing-a-longs, seemingly seeking distance with the audience instead of the purported closeness.

He bursts into tears and a generic chorus of cheering tapers pitifully as he leaves the stage for perhaps his last time. The crowd has nothing they can say for the sheer inability to say it.

Left to scream openly, the crowd is unable to raise an emotional cheer for their falling hero. The scribe of their identity leaving, they bid him farewell with a whimper.

The stain left by his falling pen bears its form: the want of a second syllable. His final sentiment to the crowd is political, but will not suffer this fate, for its cheer is time-tested.

Trudeau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

David Corbett posted:

Yeah. I don't even like The Tragically Hip's music, but these edgy hot takes are kind of bullshit.

What? I don't think anyone's arguing with the notion that they've contributed to Canadian culture, or that this concert is culturally significant, it's just that it's not a very good concert. I really wish it were. I was expecting better.

David Bowie left us just after releasing a fantastic new album; Gord Downie will leave us having played a very average concert. His legacy deserves better.